PDA

View Full Version : Going Postal...

sa_butta
01-31-2006, 12:32 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/31/postal.shooting.ap/index.html

Seven dead in California postal shooting

Shooter turned gun on herself, authorities say

Tuesday, January 31, 2006; Posted: 10:52 a.m. EST (15:52 GMT)

GOLETA, California (AP) -- A female ex-postal worker opened fire at a mail processing plant, killing six people and critically wounding another before committing suicide, authorities said early Tuesday.

Deputies responding to a report of shots fired about 9:15 p.m. Monday found two people dead outside the plant.

Two wounded women were located inside and were taken to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital. One died and the other was listed in critical condition early Tuesday with a gunshot wound to the head.

Nearly five hours later, deputies found four additional bodies, including one believed to be the female shooter, Santa Barbara County Sheriff Jim Anderson said. The shooter, who was not identified, died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, he said. (Watch why finding the shooter was a challenge -- 1:18 (javascript:cnnVideo('play','/video/us/2006/01/31/rowlands.ca.postal.shooting.affl','2006/02/07');))

"We do not believe there is any additional threat to the community," Anderson said.

It was one of the deadliest shootings in a Postal Service facility since a series of high-profile cases in the mid '80s and early '90s, including one in which a part-time letter carrier killed 14 people in Edmond, Oklahoma, and then took his own life.

The Monday night rampage sent dozens of employees running from the sprawling distribution center and prompted authorities to warn nearby residents to stay indoors.

Postal employee Charles Kronick told KEYT-TV in Santa Barbara that he was inside the building when shots rang out. Some 50 to 60 employees were seen running from the plant.

"I heard something that sounded like a pop, and then I heard a couple seconds later, another pop, pop, pop," Kronick said.

His boss came running over and told him to get out of the building, Kronick said, adding "We all hightailed it out real quick."

Many workers fled to a fire station across the street, said Santa Barbara County Fire Capt. Keith Cullom.

The victims' names were not immediately released. Sheriffs' Sgt. Erik Raney said all the victims were believed to be current employees.

Investigators didn't yet know how many guns were used, how the shooter entered the complex or what the motive might have been, Raney said.

Postmaster General John E. Potter said families of the victims were being notified and counselors would be available to the families and employees at the plant.

"Our heartfelt prayers and condolences go out to the families of the victims and to our employees who have suffered through this tragic incident," Potter said in a statement issued in Washington.

The 200,000-square-foot facility is located just a few blocks from the University of California, Santa Barbara. About 300 people are employed at the plant in Goleta, about 90 miles northwest of Los Angeles.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-31-2006, 12:44 PM
What is the deal with that???

I don't understand the psychology of a U.S. postal employee I guess.

How many other professions have this sort of thing happen as often as the Postal Service? None that I can think of.

You don't hear about former coffee shop employees "going Starbucks" or donut shop employees "going Krispy". I've never heard of accounting firm employees "going Debit", or Kmart employees "going Bluelight".

It's just confusing.

I'm confused.

Help.

Peter
01-31-2006, 12:47 PM
It's odd too, considering that most postal employees I've encountered in my life have never seemed to be under any stress whatsoever. Then again, that's in the front. Maybe in the back they beat them with whips?

sa_butta
01-31-2006, 12:54 PM
It's odd too, considering that most postal employees I've encountered in my life have never seemed to be under any stress whatsoever. Then again, that's in the front. Maybe in the back they beat them with whips?I was wondering the same thing, I thought these guys get paid pretty good and have excellent benefits. I have a friend who works for the post office and I dont think he dissatisfied with them for any reason.