PDA

View Full Version : I've made fun of Sean Marks but...

wildbill2u
01-31-2006, 02:41 PM
I've made a lot of fun about Sean Marks and his role with the Spurs as the designated Gatoraid Go-to Guy and other jabs. But of course, that was because he never got to play except in runaway games.

I've seen him play a few meaningful minutes this year and think he deserves a few more minutes in the rotation because of his play.

I like his defense, his rebounding and his outside shot ain't bad. Last night against the Jazz I thought he played well, boxing out and doing the things on defense that don't get into the stats. And he got one cheap foul under the basket just because he's Sean Marks.

What say you? Does he deserve any more minutes?

leemajors
01-31-2006, 02:48 PM
i saw kings/spurs last year and this guy sitting behind me called him napoleon the whole game, it was hilarious. but he cut his hair =[

TwoHandJam
01-31-2006, 02:52 PM
I think if Marks continues playing like last night then he will deserve some more minutes. Because of his quickness and his range, he can almost serve as the "long 3" the Spurs have been looking for. He could prove to be very valuable in guarding players like Dirk and Marion for spot minutes.

MannyIsGod
01-31-2006, 02:53 PM
I really do love the way Marks plays. I've always loved his effort and the fact that he takes the ball strong to the hole. Both Rasho and Nazr could learn a lot from Marks, and its a shame they haven't.

timvp
01-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Tough to say whether he deserves more time. He's decent in the time that he does play but I don't think the Spurs see him as a long term fix. Marks isn't going to be on the playoff roster (if the team is healthy), so giving him consistent playing time doesn't make much sense --- especially when the other dozen centers need time.

The main reason Marks will never be a rotational NBA player is because he's fragile. He makes Marcus Camby seem like Cal Ripken, Jr.

angel_luv
01-31-2006, 02:57 PM
I really like Sean. He's done well with his game time play and has certainly earned it.

Free that Kiwi! :)

pache100
01-31-2006, 03:02 PM
Does he deserve any more minutes?

Yes. But...

Who will you put on the IR in his place after everyone is healthy? Or are you speaking only of now when we have legitimate injuries on there?

SenorSpur
01-31-2006, 03:19 PM
I think if Marks continues playing like last night then he will deserve some more minutes. Because of his quickness and his range, he can almost serve as the "long 3" the Spurs have been looking for. He could prove to be very valuable in guarding players like Dirk and Marion for spot minutes.

I agree I believe, other than Bowen, he could be another defender who could actually get up on Dirk and frustrate him. He's shown good skills in his short stints so far.

I did think he took too quick of a shot at the end of the with 7 seconds left in the 3rd period of last nights game, but hey I'm being picky. :oops

wildbill2u
01-31-2006, 03:26 PM

You know I was thinking the exact same thing--but didn't want to strain anyone's credulity too much. I think he was actually playing the long 3 at times against the Jazz.

wildbill2u
01-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Yes. But...

Who will you put on the IR in his place after everyone is healthy? Or are you speaking only of now when we have legitimate injuries on there?

I thought we were below the limit for the active roster. Isn't it 15 now?

Kori Ellis
01-31-2006, 03:38 PM
I thought we were below the limit for the active roster. Isn't it 15 now?

The active roster is 12. But the teams can change the active roster from night to night. They turn in the list an hour before each game.

BigVee
01-31-2006, 04:11 PM
He guards Dirk, he fouls out in 3 minutes.

leemajors
01-31-2006, 04:26 PM
i think we did put him on dirk in that blowout loss, but no one was stopping dirk that night...

NZHayden
02-01-2006, 07:12 AM
(on behalf of 4 million new zealanders) yeah play marks!