PDA

View Full Version : ok spur fans instead of bashing the piston fans

ducks
01-31-2006, 07:49 PM
instead of bashing the piston fans

lets be men or ladies and list reasons why you think the spurs can beat the pistons in the finals if they meet.

SequSpur
01-31-2006, 07:50 PM
STFU Ducks.

ducks
01-31-2006, 07:51 PM
this is spur related

ducks
STFU Ducks.

I forgot short people have short brains

timvp
Timothy Theodore Duncan.

ducks
01-31-2006, 07:52 PM
TP+MANU+DUNCAN= 20 plus point people
in the playoffs you need three big guns and spurs have them

ducks
01-31-2006, 07:53 PM
rasho setting nice picks and getting out of the lane for tp

ducks
01-31-2006, 07:54 PM
SequSpur predicating pistons would win

san antonio spurs
01-31-2006, 07:59 PM
i should say finley and horry are a major part in my scenario to beat the pistons
________
Mature Cams (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/mature-women/)

ducks
01-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Pop >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>flip

Leetonidas
01-31-2006, 08:12 PM
Manu Ginobili. That's the reason.

JamStone
Pop would be a major reason if the Spurs beat the Pistons.

I also think the Spurs have better depth at point guard, which may end up being a nice advantage. Even if NVE hasn't performed to expectations so far, Nick is great in big games. The Pistons have a very inconsistent and perhaps not-very-confident Carlos Arroyo and Lindsey Hunter, who is older, coming off an injury, and not a very pure point guard. I think NVE and maybe even Udrih could become huge advantages for the Spurs if they meet the Pistons in the finals.

SenorSpur
The Spurs depth and experience are unmatched by any team in the league. Now if they can just get healthy and stay that way, they can get on the annual roll.

Simon Cowell
01-31-2006, 08:15 PM
STFU Ducks.

FromWayDowntown
01-31-2006, 08:21 PM
In thinking about a Spurs/Pistons rematch, I think the one thing Spurs fans can hang their hats on is that the Spurs can (presumably) only play better against Detroit than they did in the two meetings past. One would think that by the time the Finals arrive, the Spurs will be a more motivated and focused group and will have cured some of the problems that Detroit exploited while developing ways to make the Pistons pay for playing so much man defense. Of course, Utah did to the Spurs last night what Detroit did in both games, only with less success because of the Jazz's lesser talent.

Mostly, I think that if the Spurs can come up with some way to even out the play on the glass, they'll have a great chance to compete with the Pistons and win a series.

Then again, the Spurs better worry about taking care of business in the West first.

Spurologist
01-31-2006, 08:31 PM
I thought the Brits were proper with grammar, Simon Cowell.

X-factors: Horry and TP

Looter
01-31-2006, 08:39 PM
Air Looter

http://looterguy.com/images/gallery/gallerytwo/images/120_jpg.jpg

MI21
01-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Tim Duncan.

A healthy Duncan would be the only historic type player on the court, a true NBA Legend. Detroit hasn't seen a healthy Tim Duncan since early in last year (when he banged on Ben Wallace).

He is head and shoulders the best player on the court when healthy, and that is a large reason why I still think that in a Spurs vs Pistons finals series, the Spurs would still have a very good chance.

Spurs rock
01-31-2006, 08:49 PM
They won't beat the Pistons, as much as I hate to say it but it's true. They'll prolly sweep Dallas and beat the Suns but they won't beat the Pistons. Bank on it!

Darrin
01-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Why the Pistons can beat the Spurs:

- The Pistons were a nose-hair from doing it last season. Last season's team is still intact, the team that took the Spurs to seven games in the NBA Finals. They are hungry to re-claim something that they feel was rightfully theirs to begin with. Rip Hamilton came into that series with a calf contusion that was so bad, it was bleeding into his ankle.

They feel, as the Kings should have in 2002-03, they were a Robert Horry 3-point shot from an NBA Championship. Even giving the Spurs that shot, the Pistons had a late game seven lead, but were decimated by foul trouble on the frontline. Suddenly, the 3-16 shooting touch of Tim Duncan heats up because Tayshaun Prince can't guard him. Duncan dominates the end of the game because if Ben Wallace is playing Timmy Man-to-man, there is no help-side defense and if Wallace gets another foul, there goes his agressiveness. Larry Brown was a frontline man short because Darko isn't ready and Elden Campbell's out of shape. That's why Dale Davis is here - to guard Shaquille O'Neal and Tim Duncan.

- 3-point shooting: Look at the stats - the one area the Pistons were out-matched was 3-point shooting in last season's Finals. It's a shot they have gotten back to defending and back to defending and using as a weapon, the one area that Rick Carlisle did a better job than Larry Brown. It's why games one and two were blowouts, and it's how the Spurs came back in both clinching games of the 2003 and 2005 NBA Championships.

- Fatigue - If the Pistons hold on in the 2005 Finals and win, they would've set an NBA record for the Champion with the most amount of minutes their starters played in a season, and played together. The Pistons played 25 of a possible 28 playoff games in 2005, including back-to-back seven-game series on the road, and all the starter minutes went up from the regular season.

This problem has been a rallying cry for management and players alike. It's why Maurice Evans was added to the roster. It's why the Pistons brought in an offensive coach to make winning regular game seasons easier. It's why the Pistons have expanded their rotation to include 9 players (McDyess, Arroyo, Evans, and Delfino). It's why the Pistons are attempting to have home-court advantage for all playoff series, no matter the opponent (9-3 at the Palace in the 2005 playoffs, 6-7 on the road). This is what focuses them in the middle of February on a back-to-back against the Atlanta Hawks - because come June, they want home-court advantage.

-Depth and experience - although some of this was covered in fatigue, remember this: Dale Davis, the starting center for last season's Indiana Pacers, with the Pistons number one backup guard from last season and their best on-ball defender, have played a total of 46 minutes over the first 42 games. That's not a function of the measure of how much game they have left (they share a combined 72 years between them), it's a function of design. The young guys get the minutes now, and the Pistons become more experienced as the postseason begins. It's the shot in the arm that Elden Campbell and Lindsey Hunter provided in the last half of the 2003-04 season.

- What home-court means: The Pistons have not lost a game seven at the Palace...ever. The game-sevens haven't even been close:

6/3/90: Bulls 74, Pistons 93.
5/4/03: Magic 93, Pistons 108.
5/20/04: Nets 69, Pistons 90.

In fact, Detroit hasn't lost a potential Pistons series-winning game at the Palace since 1997 (7-0), and are 11-1 all-time. In fact, the Pistons are 54-20 all-time at the Palace in the playoffs, 8-2 all-time in the Finals, both San Antonio and Portland needing overtime for those two wins.

Feel free to eat away at my answers.

Kori Ellis
01-31-2006, 09:12 PM
Fatigue - If the Pistons hold on in the 2005 Finals and win, they would've set an NBA record for the Champion with the most amount of minutes their starters played in a season, and played together.

And why won't they be fatigued this season? Rip is playing a minute and a half less, but everyone else is virtually the same - with three of the others playing more minutes this season.

2004-05
Rip 38.5
Prince 37.1
BWallace 36.1
Billups 35.8
RWallace 34.0

2005-06
Rip 36.9
Prince 36.3
BWallace 36.5
Billups 36.4
RWallace 35.4

1Parker1
01-31-2006, 09:41 PM
Manu Ginobili.

Darrin
01-31-2006, 09:43 PM
And why won't they be fatigued this season? Rip is playing a minute and a half less, but everyone else is virtually the same - with three of the others playing more minutes this season.

2004-05
Rip 38.5
Prince 37.1
BWallace 36.1
Billups 35.8
RWallace 34.0

2005-06
Rip 36.9
Prince 36.3
BWallace 36.5
Billups 36.4
RWallace 35.4

Because the Pistons are not playing 82 ground-out games. For every 2-OT game against the Memphis Grizzlies and Washington Wizards, there have been blowout wins over New York, Atlanta, Toronto, Minnesota, etc. That wasn't the case last season. The Pistons' starters weren't getting off the floor for about 90% of last season's game. Also, the amount of minutes they play together is down. They also won't play 25 of a possible 28 playoff games with home-court advantage, and their rotation will change (already has) as the season progresses. For instance, Hunter will gradually eat up a lot of Arroyo's minutes.

angel_luv
01-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Big Shot Rob was definitely one of the reasons last year.

Obstructed_View
01-31-2006, 09:48 PM
I might as well make this part of my sig I've had to repeat it so much:

If the Spurs are healthy and playing well, nobody can touch them. If they aren't playing well, they probably won't make it to the conference finals. Unless Darko becomes Kareem between now the playoffs that's the way it's going to be.

Kori Ellis
Because the Pistons are not playing 82 ground-out games. For every 2-OT game against the Memphis Grizzlies and Washington Wizards, there have been blowout wins over New York, Atlanta, Toronto, Minnesota, etc. That wasn't the case last season. The Pistons' starters weren't getting off the floor for about 90% of last season's game. Also, the amount of minutes they play together is down.

But minutes are minutes. They are still on the floor playing basketball for the same amount of minutes as they were last season. You were acting like the depth, 9-man rotation, etc was keeping them off the court more this season. It isn't.

You are right in that your differential this season is far better than last year (something like +9 to +3) but that isn't resting your players. If you are blowing them out so often, get your starters off the court if you want to combat fatigue.

timvp
Because the Pistons are not playing 82 ground-out games. For every 2-OT game against the Memphis Grizzlies and Washington Wizards, there have been blowout wins over New York, Atlanta, Toronto, Minnesota, etc. That wasn't the case last season. The Pistons' starters weren't getting off the floor for about 90% of last season's game.

That doesn't make sense.

The Pistons starters are playing the same (if not more) minutes. They are "getting off the floor" at the same rate.

timvp
01-31-2006, 09:49 PM
Same time.

:makeout

angel_luv
01-31-2006, 09:53 PM
haaha great minds

nkdlunch
01-31-2006, 09:55 PM
IF manu and Duncan still have 2 legs in the Finals, they won't let the Spurs lose.

Darrin
01-31-2006, 09:59 PM
But minutes are minutes. They are still on the floor playing basketball for the same amount of minutes as they were last season. You were acting like the depth, 9-man rotation, etc was keeping them off the court more this season. It isn't.

You are right in that your differential this season is far better than last year (something like +9 to +3) but that isn't resting your players. If you are blowing them out so often, get your starters off the court if you want to combat fatigue.

Yes, it does. It's the difference between a final minute where the Pistons have to get three key stops and score, or if they are being fouled as the ball is in-bounded. The physical wear and tear is less this season. They couldn't keep their opponent from coming back (because of scoring droughts). Therefore, the Pistons had to play a full 48 minutes to win a game.

The bench can also make plays. I can't think of a game last season when the Bench got the Pistons back into a game or played better than a starter. Darko Milicic in Milwaukee, Maurice Evans and Carlos Delfino against the Celtics, and Carlos Delfino in Chicago - the bench has won games for the Pistons.

If 48 minutes is 48 minutes, why do some games take 3 hours and other take 2 hours, 12 minutes? The minutes are easier than last season.

Kori Ellis
01-31-2006, 10:05 PM
They are still playing basketball for the same amount of minutes. I understand now that you think they are not play "hard" minutes but if you tell an NBA player that, they'll laugh their ass off. Every minute on the basketball court, players are exerting energy (unless they are lazy). If you actually want them to be less fatigued, they need to get off the court .. not just get "easier" minutes.

If 48 minutes is 48 minutes, why do some games take 3 hours and other take 2 hours, 12 minutes?

Because of stoppage in play. I don't understand the relevance of this -- they aren't playing during the stoppages. There's still only 48 minutes of playing time.

Obstructed_View
01-31-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm fuzzy on the difference in quality of minutes, too. If they don't mean the same thing, then why is the team on the floor? Why is it even a stat? But at very least it has to mean that either the games aren't as close as they seem or that Detroit doesn't have faith in their bench.

Pistonfan1
01-31-2006, 10:13 PM
Why the Pistons can beat the Spurs:

- The Pistons were a nose-hair from doing it last season. Last season's team is still intact, the team that took the Spurs to seven games in the NBA Finals. They are hungry to re-claim something that they feel was rightfully theirs to begin with. Rip Hamilton came into that series with a calf contusion that was so bad, it was bleeding into his ankle.

They feel, as the Kings should have in 2002-03, they were a Robert Horry 3-point shot from an NBA Championship. Even giving the Spurs that shot, the Pistons had a late game seven lead, but were decimated by foul trouble on the frontline. Suddenly, the 3-16 shooting touch of Tim Duncan heats up because Tayshaun Prince can't guard him. Duncan dominates the end of the game because if Ben Wallace is playing Timmy Man-to-man, there is no help-side defense and if Wallace gets another foul, there goes his agressiveness. Larry Brown was a frontline man short because Darko isn't ready and Elden Campbell's out of shape. That's why Dale Davis is here - to guard Shaquille O'Neal and Tim Duncan.

- 3-point shooting: Look at the stats - the one area the Pistons were out-matched was 3-point shooting in last season's Finals. It's a shot they have gotten back to defending and back to defending and using as a weapon, the one area that Rick Carlisle did a better job than Larry Brown. It's why games one and two were blowouts, and it's how the Spurs came back in both clinching games of the 2003 and 2005 NBA Championships.

- Fatigue - If the Pistons hold on in the 2005 Finals and win, they would've set an NBA record for the Champion with the most amount of minutes their starters played in a season, and played together. The Pistons played 25 of a possible 28 playoff games in 2005, including back-to-back seven-game series on the road, and all the starter minutes went up from the regular season.

This problem has been a rallying cry for management and players alike. It's why Maurice Evans was added to the roster. It's why the Pistons brought in an offensive coach to make winning regular game seasons easier. It's why the Pistons have expanded their rotation to include 9 players (McDyess, Arroyo, Evans, and Delfino). It's why the Pistons are attempting to have home-court advantage for all playoff series, no matter the opponent (9-3 at the Palace in the 2005 playoffs, 6-7 on the road). This is what focuses them in the middle of February on a back-to-back against the Atlanta Hawks - because come June, they want home-court advantage.

-Depth and experience - although some of this was covered in fatigue, remember this: Dale Davis, the starting center for last season's Indiana Pacers, with the Pistons number one backup guard from last season and their best on-ball defender, have played a total of 46 minutes over the first 42 games. That's not a function of the measure of how much game they have left (they share a combined 72 years between them), it's a function of design. The young guys get the minutes now, and the Pistons become more experienced as the postseason begins. It's the shot in the arm that Elden Campbell and Lindsey Hunter provided in the last half of the 2003-04 season.

- What home-court means: The Pistons have not lost a game seven at the Palace...ever. The game-sevens haven't even been close:

6/3/90: Bulls 74, Pistons 93.
5/4/03: Magic 93, Pistons 108.
5/20/04: Nets 69, Pistons 90.

In fact, Detroit hasn't lost a potential Pistons series-winning game at the Palace since 1997 (7-0), and are 11-1 all-time. In fact, the Pistons are 54-20 all-time at the Palace in the playoffs, 8-2 all-time in the Finals, both San Antonio and Portland needing overtime for those two wins.

Feel free to eat away at my answers.
:rolleyes He is only the best player in the league and a big reason why our frontline got in foul trouble. As much as I love this post I am getting sick of Piston fans like you using bullshit excuses. We lost that fucking series because of the Spurs being a better team and Tim Duncan doing the things GREAT LEGENDARY players do. No way to spin this. This is a different season for us move on and give this team their dues. If you are going to use injuries and fatigue as an excuse it makes you along with most Piston fans looking like we lack balls. This is a great year for us so stop using the "what if" card on last season and enjoy the success that is happening right now.

timvp
01-31-2006, 10:14 PM
If 48 minutes is 48 minutes, why do some games take 3 hours and other take 2 hours, 12 minutes?

Wouldn't the longer games be easier because there are more breaks in the action? The quick games are quick because there are no stoppages.

bdubya
01-31-2006, 10:16 PM
list reasons why you think the spurs can beat the pistons in the finals if they meet.

Umm...'cause Spurs>Nets? 'Cause CIA Popovich probably has some mind-game to prompt Sheed to camp out at the 3-point line? 'Cause Flip might not trust the bench to turn it around if the starters are playing like ass?

Mainly, because it's still only January, and the Spurs seem to have a lot more room to improve than the Pistons (if you ignore the NJ game tonight...)

Kori Ellis
01-31-2006, 10:20 PM
lets be men or ladies and list reasons why you think the spurs can beat the pistons in the finals if they meet.

Hopefully they do meet in the Finals because last season's NBA Finals was incredible basketball and I don't think any other teams in the Finals would be the same to me. The teams are fairly evenly matched. The Pistons' front court is obviously more athletic, but I'll take a healthy Tim Duncan over anyone else in the league in a 7-game series. And the other Big Two (Manu and Tony) have an incredible will to win. Manu is a winner in his blood and I think he's an amazing playoff performer. Tony really has something to prove in the postseason and I think the improvements that he's shown this season will bode well in the playoffs. Plus Pop > Flip. So I'll take Spurs in 7 again.

101A
01-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Because the Spurs are the best defensive team in the league and the Pistons have made that less of a priority. I understand what they "did" to the Spurs in the two games this year, but the stats are the stats; Detroit is middlin in the defensive statistic categories; that dedication that LB MADE them adhere to is no longer there. THAT doesn't raise its head 'til the playoffs. I know, I watched the Bob Hill Spurs.

I thing in a series, the Spurs will better be able to stop the Pistons doing what they like best than vice-versa.

drivanroca
01-31-2006, 10:24 PM
IF manu and Duncan still have 2 legs in the Finals, they won't let the Spurs lose.
:tu

Darrin
01-31-2006, 11:03 PM
:rolleyes He is only the best player in the league and a big reason why our frontline got in foul trouble. As much as I love this post I am getting sick of Piston fans like you using bullshit excuses. We lost that fucking series because of the Spurs being a better team and Tim Duncan doing the things GREAT LEGENDARY players do. No way to spin this. This is a different season for us move on and give this team their dues. If you are going to use injuries and fatigue as an excuse it makes you along with most Piston fans looking like we lack balls. This is a great year for us so stop using the "what if" card on last season and enjoy the success that is happening right now.

Tim Duncan, the 2004-05 Finals MVP, shot .419 in that series. Because, the Pistons employed a defensive strategy of man-to-man when Duncan was on the block with a weak-side defender at the basket. In the fourth quarter and overtime of game five, this is how Horry ended up being so open and effective.

When the Pistons no longer had that as an option because of foul trouble - I'm not saying that the calls were erroneous or that Duncan didn't have something to do with that - there was nothing they could do to stop Tim Duncan. Duncan after game seven:

"It wasn't the greatest of games but there was a stretch where I felt really good and I just wanted to be assertive at that point," Duncan said.

I was elated after the Finals, as a fan of the NBA because TD now has better credentials to claim the "Most Dominant Big Man of his Generation" over Shaquille O'Neal. He has as many titles, as many Finals MVPs, and two Regular Season MVPs while possessing much more in terms of footwork and all-around game than the self-proclaimed "MDE."

But that doesn't mean I didn't watch game seven eight or nine times this summer. It doesn't mean I don't know where things turned. When Prince ended up on Duncan in the post after McDyess heads to the bench, Duncan's first easy shot got him going. It doesn't mean I didn't watch to see how the Pistons built a 12-point lead, Bruce Bowen block Billups shot, and Prince's final shot rattle out. I'm not whining about "oh, they don't deserve the title." I am not cheapening the accomplishments or saying the Pistons lost, the Spurs didn't win. I am saying it was close, this is where the holes on the Pistons were in relation to the Spurs, and I think the Pistons have addressed them. It's not a "what if" scenario; it's using last year's Finals as a starting point to evaluate the two teams.

This is the same thing, by the way, I did when looking at the Rasheed trade. I was on the internet the morning of the trading deadline, having just read Marc Stein's column about the Pistons needing someone to take Chucky Atkins. Up to this point, I had been critical of the Rasheed rumors. But then I got to thinking: he's a rent-a-player, February to the end of the playoffs. Much like Nick Van Exel in Dallas, I thought he would welcome the opportunity to play for a playoff team with a serious chance to get to the Finals. Then I thought about this for a second:

The Pacers were wiping the floor with the Pistons. There was no way that they would beat the Pacers for the Central Division lead, and JO had just ended the Pistons franchise-tying 13-game winning streak in January. Elden Campbell, Memo Okur - it didn't matter. The Pistons didn't have anyone defensively to match up with O'Neal. But then I got to thinking: If Rasheed can do just what Cliff Robinson did - match the length of O'Neal, keep him at bay, it doesn't matter. There's no way Jeff Foster keeps Ben Wallace off the glass. The same could be said for Kenyon Martin and Jason Collins. And there's no way the third guy (Scot Pollard, Aaron Williams) can handle Memo Okur. The Pistons were killed on the board in the East Finals last season, and the Pistons were two shots away from that being a 2-2 tied series. This is going to be good.

That's all I did in that post. What teams were standing between the Pistons and the 2004 NBA Finals? What team is standing between the Pistons and the 2006 NBA Championship?

Isn't that showing a level of respect to the Spurs?

Pistons < Spurs
01-31-2006, 11:05 PM
good lord. Must all your posts be so damn long. LOL

Kori Ellis
01-31-2006, 11:05 PM
Darrin is the Pistons' fans version of Whottt.

Darrin
01-31-2006, 11:12 PM
Darrin is the Pistons' fans version of Whottt.

Don't worry. After tonight, you'll probably never see me on this board again (until the NBA Finals if our two teams make it).

Pistons < Spurs
01-31-2006, 11:13 PM
Don't worry. After tonight, you'll probably never see me on this board again (until the NBA Finals if our two teams make it).

Nah, don't leave. Hang around awhile!

Kori Ellis
01-31-2006, 11:14 PM

I'm not worried. I told my husband like an hour ago that you are a really good poster. I wasn't making fun of you - you just make very long (and strong) arguments, like one of our posters named Whottt.

Trainwreck2100
01-31-2006, 11:16 PM
Tim Duncan, the 2004-05 Finals MVP, shot .419 in that series. Because, the Pistons employed a defensive strategy of man-to-man when Duncan was on the block with a weak-side defender at the basket. In the fourth quarter and overtime of game five, this is how Horry ended up being so open and effective.

That doesn't explain the last shot in Game 5 when Horry was open due to a REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY bad defensive decision by Sheed.

Darrin
01-31-2006, 11:39 PM
That doesn't explain the last shot in Game 5 when Horry was open due to a REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY bad defensive decision by Sheed.

No, it doesn't. But it does explain the other 18 points in the final 17 minutes of the game. That shot...it made me think about 10 years back when Sean Elliott's lazy bum (not a referendum on his career, just that one year with Detroit) was traded to Houston for Big Shot Rob and Matt Bullard, a trade voided by Elliott's kidney condition. The Pistons ended up trading Dennis Rodman, arguably the best rebounder ever, essentially for the draft rights to Bill Curley and a 2nd-round pick.

Much like Dumars and the failed Allen Iverson for Jerry Stackhouse and Jerome Williams trade in the summer of 2000, I just kept saying "He should f'ing be doing that for us."

I didn't speak for six hours after that game (the game got over around 12:00 AM EST) and I couldn't sleep. I knew the Pistons had just lost the Championship. I have probably taken only one Pistons loss harder than that game 5, and that was game 4 against the '91 Bulls in the Conference Finals.

They had pushed their luck in Miami, and the Spurs weren't the inexperienced Heat. No way they win back-to-back games on the road in the Finals. No way. Then a smile would come over my face...but if they did... and just as quickly disappear, because I knew they wouldn't do it. They hadn't won in San Antonio since Tim Duncan was drafted. They had exactly 2 wins in San Antonio during David Robinson's career, one of them in 1997 when he didn't play. One game, maybe. Two was just too difficult.

And that commentary played for six straight hours.

timvp
01-31-2006, 11:42 PM
I didn't speak for six hours after that game (the game got over around 12:00 AM EST) and I couldn't sleep.

Feel lucky you didn't go through .4 :pctoss

Trainwreck2100
01-31-2006, 11:43 PM
I didn't speak for six hours after that game (the game got over around 12:00 AM EST) and I couldn't sleep. I knew the Pistons had just lost the Championship. I have probably taken only one Pistons loss harder than that game 5, and that was game 4 against the '91 Bulls in the Conference Finals.

Ah yes, I remember, did you get that ugly feeling in the pit of you stomach? It feels like your stomach drops 3 feet. Fucking .4 bs :pctoss

Amuseddaysleeper
01-31-2006, 11:44 PM
this is a terrible thread

all these examples of how the spurs can beat the pistons are pipe dreams. i'm just being realistic, we honestly have no chance to actually win the series against them. even if WE got the homecourt i cant see us beating the pistons in a best of 7. they are playing out of their minds and considering we barely beat them last year and that they've gotten twice as good i really see our chances of beating the pistons in 7 next to none

Kori Ellis
01-31-2006, 11:45 PM
After .4 when I went to the lockerroom to do the postgame interviews I was almost crying. And then Tim Duncan came to the podium and all the reporters were silent, so I forced myself to ask the first question and I was almost choking back the tears.

That sucked.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-31-2006, 11:46 PM
After .4 when I went to the lockerroom to do the postgame interviews I was almost crying. And then Tim Duncan came to the podium and all the reporters were silent, so I forced myself to ask the first question and I was almost choking back the tears.

That sucked.

i STILL haven't gotten over that. I mean i think we woulda lost the series anyway cuz LA woulda continued to clog the lanes and our shooting woulda continued to have sucked as always but to have that moment of tim's own miracle shot over shaq and then have it rippd away was beyond heartless.

Darrin
01-31-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm not worried. I told my husband like an hour ago that you are a really good poster. I wasn't making fun of you - you just make very long (and strong) arguments, like one of our posters named Whottt.

I didn't think it was mean-spirited. Don't feel like you're running me off or that I'm offended by this board. I've been the opposing fan on a board before, and it's an experience that I can take in very small doses. Usually your opinion in non-Piston topics has to come with added assurances that criticism isn't a clever way of saying "your team sucks."

mouse
01-31-2006, 11:49 PM
what if it was the other way around , and Tony Parker made the game winning shot? You would not feel bad for the other team? Don't talk to me about tears I am a Mavs fan :lmao

Tampon
01-31-2006, 11:51 PM
The problem with the Mavs they don't know how to plugg up the hole:lmao

FromWayDowntown
01-31-2006, 11:55 PM
Darrin, I think you make excellent points and would encourage you to stay and help us to maintain a high level of basketball discourse around here.

Obstructed_View
01-31-2006, 11:56 PM
this is a terrible thread

all these examples of how the spurs can beat the pistons are pipe dreams. i'm just being realistic, we honestly have no chance to actually win the series against them. even if WE got the homecourt i cant see us beating the pistons in a best of 7. they are playing out of their minds and considering we barely beat them last year and that they've gotten twice as good i really see our chances of beating the pistons in 7 next to none
At least wait until after the Rodeo trip to throw in the towel. ;)

The Pistons are playing out of their minds and are a whole three games ahead of the Spurs. Think about that. The Spurs were further behind the Mavericks in '03. They were further behind the Jazz in '99, with fewer games to make it up. The Spurs could pass the Pistons in a week and there are ~ten more weeks in the season.

Do you remember the 62-20 Spurs team? That team never lost close games. It was incredible. This year's team is coasting and fighting injuries and is STILL on pace to match or exceed that record.

Obstructed_View
01-31-2006, 11:58 PM
i STILL haven't gotten over that. I mean i think we woulda lost the series anyway cuz LA woulda continued to clog the lanes and our shooting woulda continued to have sucked as always but to have that moment of tim's own miracle shot over shaq and then have it rippd away was beyond heartless.
Really? I thought it sucked, but it was a very small part of the reason the Spurs lost that series. Don't get me wrong, I still hate Derek Fisher, but I still hate Robert Horry a little bit, too.

Darrin
02-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Feel lucky you didn't go through .4 :pctoss

It wasn't a 2-0 series lead blown, but isn't that essentially the same thing? Pistons two-point lead becomes a one-point loss off a stupid decision by Rasheed to try and trap Ginobili to run out the clock?

Trainwreck2100
02-01-2006, 12:02 AM
It wasn't a 2-0 series lead blown, but isn't that essentially the same thing? Pistons two-point lead becomes a one-point loss off a stupid decision by Rasheed to try and trap Ginobili to run out the clock?

At least Horry's shot was humanly possible and didn't violate any laws of physics.

JamStone
02-01-2006, 12:07 AM
It's strange when interesting threads all of a sudden morph into "kumbaya" exchanges.

Not hating on any of the lovefest ... just making an observation.

JamStone
02-01-2006, 12:14 AM
So back to the topic of the thread ...

Someone already mentioned it, but MANU GINOBILI.

If Manu is healthy, the Pistons have no one who can contain his slashing ability, not even the long arms of Tayshaun Prince. So, in order to counter that, the Pistons coaching staf have to design defensive schemes to either limit Manu's touches from the top of the key where he can set his defender up for a one-on-one move, send different looks in order to trap and force Manu to pass the ball earlier than he wants to, or find wrinkles in the Spurs' offensive sets that will allow the Pistons to run different help defenders when Manu breaks down his defender.

While Tim Duncan is generally the source of success for the Spurs, and both Tony Parker and Chauncey Billups have had wonderful seasons, I really do think Manu v. Tayshaun is the match-up that will be the most decisive in determining the winning team, should the two teams meet in the finals. Tayshaun will not only have to try to contain Manu, but he will also have to be aggressive on offense, since Bruce will be covering either Rip or Chauncey, the two main offensive options for the Pistons.

Should the Spurs win, I suspect Manu Ginobili will be one of the more important determining factors.

Darrin
02-01-2006, 12:17 AM
At least Horry's shot was humanly possible and didn't violate any laws of physics.

At least Fisher's shot didn't stop your team from coming one win away from an NBA title after being down 2-0. I've seen my team lose in early rounds before, it sucks. The Lions have one playoff win in 49 years, the Tigers haven't been back to the postseason in 19 years. My point is, this is the NBA - you can get back to game 5, Western Conference Semis a lot faster than game 5 NBA Finals. My team has been to the NBA Finals 5 times in 49 years. Who's to say, coming out of that game, that's not the last time they make if for say 14 years (1990 to 2004)? Runner up is nothing more than the most tired team to not win the NBA Championship.

Second round knockout means a little more re-tooling and the Spurs get ready for next season. If you're in the Finals, you're good enough to win. What do you change?

manu
02-01-2006, 12:54 AM
Manu!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ginobili!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2006 FINALS MVP

mavsfan1000
02-01-2006, 01:08 AM
The Finals MVP is all set up for Billups.

Warlord23
02-01-2006, 01:39 AM

What's funnier?

The number of threads created about the Pistons on a Spurs forum
or
The fact that the most pro-Piston homer in these threads is a Mavericks fan
:devil

Darrin
02-01-2006, 02:21 AM
What's funnier?

or

Pistons rule, Spurs suck. Tim Duncan's overrated, Manu is a glass man, and TP lives up to his initials.

Are you happy now?

Warlord23
02-01-2006, 02:49 AM
Pistons rule, Spurs suck. Tim Duncan's overrated, Manu is a glass man, and TP lives up to his initials.

Are you happy now?

Dude, I'm not criticising the Piston fans on this board. 90% of them are insightful posters. JamStone, P<S, bdubya, LionsFan, AbdenourPower, FreshPrince, PistonFan1, X-Factor (the one with the hyphen), Marklar, DarkReign and a few others bring solid, unbiased takes that I enjoy reading.

I was poking fun at Spurs fans who are insecure about the Pistons' success, and create a new thread after every Piston win or Spur loss. I'm also ribbing the resident Mavs homer for supporting the Pistons more fervently than Piston fans themselves.

velik_m
02-01-2006, 03:11 AM

they've done it before.

velik_m
02-01-2006, 03:12 AM

so no title this year for Mavs?

mavsfan1000
02-01-2006, 03:37 AM
so no title this year for Mavs?
As long as they beat the spurs I'm happy. :lol

Darrin
02-01-2006, 04:42 AM
Dude, I'm not criticising the Piston fans on this board. 90% of them are insightful posters. JamStone, P<S, bdubya, LionsFan, AbdenourPower, FreshPrince, PistonFan1, X-Factor (the one with the hyphen), Marklar, DarkReign and a few others bring solid, unbiased takes that I enjoy reading.

I was poking fun at Spurs fans who are insecure about the Pistons' success, and create a new thread after every Piston win or Spur loss. I'm also ribbing the resident Mavs homer for supporting the Pistons more fervently than Piston fans themselves.

Oh, yeah - emoticons would be helpful.

:) :lol

I was attempting to joke around a little. I apologize for the confusion.

mavsfan1000
02-01-2006, 04:58 AM
The mavs though are 4 games behind the pistons for the top spot in the league. Still alot of games to be played but the pistons haven't wrapped up homecourt totally.

Warlord23
02-01-2006, 05:10 AM
Oh, yeah - emoticons would be helpful.

:) :lol

I was attempting to joke around a little. I apologize for the confusion.

It's all good, buddy. Your posts have made for good reading too :). Welcome to SpursTalk and do hang around for the rest of the season, as it seems like our teams have a date with one another in June.

mavsfan1000
02-01-2006, 05:14 AM
It's all good, buddy. Your posts have made for good reading too :). Welcome to SpursTalk and do hang around for the rest of the season, as it seems like our teams have a date with one another in June.
A little early to talk June rematch.

SouthernFried
02-01-2006, 05:18 AM
Someone already mentioned it, but MANU GINOBILI.

If Manu is healthy, the Pistons have no one who can contain his slashing ability, not even the long arms of Tayshaun Prince. So, in order to counter that, the Pistons coaching staf have to design defensive schemes to either limit Manu's touches from the top of the key where he can set his defender up for a one-on-one move, send different looks in order to trap and force Manu to pass the ball earlier than he wants to, or find wrinkles in the Spurs' offensive sets that will allow the Pistons to run different help defenders when Manu breaks down his defender.

While Tim Duncan is generally the source of success for the Spurs, and both Tony Parker and Chauncey Billups have had wonderful seasons, I really do think Manu v. Tayshaun is the match-up that will be the most decisive in determining the winning team, should the two teams meet in the finals. Tayshaun will not only have to try to contain Manu, but he will also have to be aggressive on offense, since Bruce will be covering either Rip or Chauncey, the two main offensive options for the Pistons.

Should the Spurs win, I suspect Manu Ginobili will be one of the more important determining factors.

Couldn't agree more.

If everything else is equal. If TD, Sheed, Ben, Bowen, etc...all are playing their games (and healthy)...I think Manu is the X-factor in the Spurs favor.

On the other side of the enchilada...I think Billups is the X-Factor for Detroit.

Listen to us...we ain't even at the all-star break, and we're predicting key Detroit/SA matchups in the finals.

It's good to be us, eh? :)

carina_gino20
02-01-2006, 05:47 AM
Tim Duncan (no explanations needed).

Manu Ginobili - There's no limit to what this guy can do. He's the kind of guy who gives it all out and not just do things half-heartedly, healthy or not. And it's also what he expects from his teammates. What's more, he is a guy who thrives in pressure situations so he will be big in clutch time.

Tony Parker - As many have said, he has a lot to prove. He said in the beginning of the season that he is on mission and there couldn't be a more important one than winning another title with the Spurs.

Pop - crazy genius

Now, do I really have to enumerate the rest of the Spurs' lineup? :spin

Jame Gumb
02-01-2006, 10:40 AM
What's funnier?

or

how about an ex spur fan turned Mavericks fan talking Pistons smack :lmao

nkdlunch
02-01-2006, 10:44 AM
The mavs though are 4 games behind the pistons for the top spot in the league. Still alot of games to be played but the pistons haven't wrapped up homecourt totally.

Dude, don't u get it? This is big boy conversation between Pistons fans and Spurs fans. If we want the opinion of losers, we'll call u.

SAGambler
02-01-2006, 12:35 PM

Because Flip doesn't seem all that interested in developing a bench.. A few nights back, with game in hand, up close to 20 points the entire 3rd, and yet the starters do almost 40 minutes each on the floor...

82 games, plus games to get to the finals takes it's toll.. If Flip don't find a way to rest his starters when he can, they are going to be in trouble...

Maybe he just has his mind on that 70 game win, instead of looking at the big picture and what really counts in the end...

itzsoweezee
02-01-2006, 12:43 PM
reasons why you think the spurs can beat the pistons in the finals if they meet.

1st reason:
larry brown is way better than flip saunders. we'll see just how capable flip is when the playoffs come around. regular season, no pressure games are not a good gauge.

2nd reason:
our bench is better and deeper

3rd reason:
rasheed is falling back in love w/ shooting the three

4th reason:
parker is shooting much much better this year

5th reason:
prince still can't guard ginobili

TheTruth
02-01-2006, 12:51 PM
In a (hopefully) Pistons/Spurs finals matchup the Spurs are going to have to revert to last years playoff team, and defend the 3 point line like crazy. The Pistons live and die by the 3 (as last nights game proved). If we shut down the 3 point shot, I don't think the Pistons can create enough offense against our D to win, IMO.

The next most important thing is Manu's health. If he isn't 100% going into the series, the spurs have no shot. He is the only Spur that has a decisive edge over a Pistons defender. Tim always has trouble with Rasheed, and Billups should be able to handle Tony for the most part (and if he can't, ben won't let Tony have many free trips down the lane).

Warlord23
02-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Yep, as shown in last year's playoffs, the key player in a series is decided by the match-ups.

Key vs Pistons: Manu (his slashing game will be difficult for Detroit to defend, if they play off him to deny the drive, he can pop the jumper)
Key vs Phoenix: Duncan, and our 3-pt shooting (ultimately they have no choice but to double Tim, plus Tim can get a boatload of offensive rebounds against their bigs)
Key vs Dallas: Parker, rebounding (Parker is too quick for Terry, so it depends on what adjustment Avery makes; also Dallas is a better rebounding team than the Spurs so far this year)

cheguevara
02-01-2006, 02:33 PM
U guys still don't get it after last year????

#1 reason: Big Shot Rob

mavsfan1000
02-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Dude, don't u get it? This is big boy conversation between Pistons fans and Spurs fans. If we want the opinion of losers, we'll call u.
There's only one big boy team. That is the pistons. The spurs are in the middle of the pack.

LilMissSPURfect
02-01-2006, 04:28 PM
Manu Ginobili. That's the reason.

4ShhhoooR

LilMissSPURfect
02-01-2006, 04:36 PM
There's only one big boy team. That is the pistons. The spurs are in the middle of the pack.

http://www.nba.com/media/finals2005/TDMvp_295_050623.jpg

Looks like the TOP to me ............ :fro

duncan2k5
02-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Manu Ginobili...please lock, and delete thread from existence now

boutons_
02-01-2006, 07:08 PM
"mavsfan1000"

That more than enough from this "s"ucking troll, plonk!