PDA

View Full Version : New York crowd chants 'MVP' for Kobe

missmyzte
01-31-2006, 11:05 PM
The Lakers blew out the Knicks 130-97, the crowd in New York was chanting "MVP" for Kobe.

:spin

Brutalis
01-31-2006, 11:09 PM
And? He won't get mvp.

spurs=bling
01-31-2006, 11:12 PM
*thinking about breaking laptop*

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2006, 11:12 PM
shame on them

Trainwreck2100
01-31-2006, 11:17 PM
They also thought Larry Brown would be their salvation.

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-31-2006, 11:17 PM
Most Viscious Padder?

milkyway21
01-31-2006, 11:22 PM
he said he's embarrassed by his 81-pt outburst.

you think he's serious?

--------------------------------------------------
Kobe Bryant says he feels a little embarrassed by his 81-point effort, and that he is not trying to chase Wilt Chamberlain's mark of 100 points in a game, according to a Reuters report.

Bryant, who will lead the Lakers into Madison Square Garden to play the hapless Knicks on Tuesday night, continues to be hounded by questions after his scoring outburst.
"I'm a little bit embarrassed actually," Bryant said after a Lakers' practice Monday. "I think it's exciting for the game and the organization because of all the buzz, but personally it's a little embarrassing."

Bryant leads the NBA in scoring, averaging 35.9 points per game. And he says winning is the most important thing for the 23-20 Lakers.

"The concept is not about going out there and putting on a show or going out there and scoring points," he said. "It's to win games.

"I'd much rather go out and score 25 points and get 10 assists and see everybody in a rhythm, everybody in a groove."

Bryant's feat is second only to Chamberlain, who scored 100 points in game for the Philadelphia Warriors in a 1962 game — against the Knicks.

"I don't even think about it," Bryant said about Chamberlain's mark. "That's unthinkable. It was done once — by Wilt, and I'm not Wilt."

baseline bum
01-31-2006, 11:26 PM
Kobe's attitude makes me sick; he's trying too hard to be loved, and it's transparent as hell. Still, he's the MVP in my eyes and he's proving to be a hell of a lot better than I ever thought he was.

timvp
01-31-2006, 11:29 PM
26 free throw attempts? Are you sure they weren't chanting "Kill Javie"?

:smokin

Trainwreck2100
01-31-2006, 11:34 PM
Most Viscious Padder?

No it means Most Valuable Player (that raped some white girl and got away with it) since it's in parenthesis it's not apart of the acronymn. Man, those New Yorkers are really cold and unforgiving.

King
01-31-2006, 11:36 PM
He should be the MVP.

SenorSpur
01-31-2006, 11:37 PM
Continued stroking of an otherwise "over-bloated" ego.

He's a self-absorbed punk and deserves to continue playing 1 on 5 basketball the rest of his career.

Brutalis
01-31-2006, 11:45 PM
He should be the MVP.
-takes a pooh on your head-

MajicMan
01-31-2006, 11:46 PM
Continued stroking of an otherwise "over-bloated" ego.

He's a self-absorbed punk and deserves to continue playing 1 on 5 basketball the rest of his career.

That self absorbed punk kicked your guys asses towards a threepeat. Spurs are second rate champs inheriting the leftovers the Lakers left them.

Warlord23
01-31-2006, 11:49 PM
NY leads the league in FTA, and is decent (6th best) in FTA against.
Today Kobe had more FTA than the entire Knick squad.
40 points scored, with only 7 FGs made .. that could be a new record in itself

TDMVPDPOY
02-01-2006, 01:15 AM
seriously the knicks are a disgraced same with the raptors. U dont let a scrub player like kome go off on yah and dont double or triple on him. Then the lame fans comes out chanting the opponent mvp, it means they really hate their team. i DONT REALLY CARE IF KOME GETS MVP COSE HIS ASS WILL BE SWEEP IN THE PLAYOFFS FIRST ROUND BY THE SPURS WEITHER WE FINISH 1ST OR 4TH THEY BE SEEING US IN THE FIRST ROUND. i can only see them either finish 5th or 8th.

iminlakerland
02-01-2006, 01:21 AM
tdmvpdpoy lol since when is kobe a scrub? wow now i can see why people react the way they do to u.

Tek_XX
02-01-2006, 01:25 AM
Most Violent Penetrator.

JealousOnesNV
02-01-2006, 02:00 AM
seriously the knicks are a disgraced same with the raptors. U dont let a scrub player like kome go off on yah and dont double or triple on him. Then the lame fans comes out chanting the opponent mvp, it means they really hate their team. i DONT REALLY CARE IF KOME GETS MVP COSE HIS ASS WILL BE SWEEP IN THE PLAYOFFS FIRST ROUND BY THE SPURS WEITHER WE FINISH 1ST OR 4TH THEY BE SEEING US IN THE FIRST ROUND. i can only see them either finish 5th or 8th.LOL @ calling Kobe a scrub. Why would they double or triple a "scrub" player? Pass that blunt you smoking on to somebody else playa

gospursgojas
02-01-2006, 02:07 AM
:lol Kobe a scrub......

Everyone should stop hatin...Kobe is having a great year

milkyway21
02-01-2006, 02:45 AM
if the Lakers can establish themselves in the playoffs,(I think there's a chance they make the 7th or 8th spot), definitely Kobe will be a one of the MVP candidates. He's a contender. He's the leader of the team now, he just made an All-Time scoring high 81pt performance and leads the league in the scoring with 36.7 pts/game this yr.

nobody just can't ignore that.

When Iverson/Tmac led in the scoring seasons ago they made the NBA 1st & 2nd/3rd teams. Why not Kobe?

JealousOnesNV
02-01-2006, 03:25 AM
if the Lakers can establish themselves in the playoffs,(I think there's a chance they make the 7th or 8th spot), definitely Kobe will be a one of the MVP candidates. He's a contender. He's the leader of the team now, he just made an All-Time scoring high 81pt performance and leads the league in the scoring with 36.7 pts/game this yr.

nobody just can't ignore that.

When Iverson/Tmac led in the scoring seasons ago they made the NBA 1st & 2nd/3rd teams. Why not Kobe?
Lakers will make the playoffs even if Kobe has to drag them there. I can understand why some may not like him but you HAVE to recognize that he is thest 2 guard in the league and a top 3 player overall. He should be a MVP candidate every year.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-01-2006, 03:35 AM
Far be it for facts to come into play here, but apparently, it was the remaining Lakers fans who were chanting for Kobe, not Knicks fans.

According to Chris Sheridan @ ESPN.com.

SoCalSpursFan
02-01-2006, 06:50 AM
If Kobe takes his team to the playoffs along with winning the scoring title...he is def getting the MVP. He might get it anyway, just for the scoring title. Not that I am a Kobe fan...but...hate him or not, he is good.

exstatic
02-01-2006, 07:12 AM
If Kobe takes his team to the playoffs along with winning the scoring title...he is def getting the MVP. He might get it anyway, just for the scoring title. Not that I am a Kobe fan...but...hate him or not, he is good.

Dominique Wilkins did that for about a decade and never got an MVP, nor should he have. If the criteria were that weak, AI would have about 5 or 6 by now.

TDMVPDPOY
02-01-2006, 07:13 AM
Seriously kome will be the shittest mvp in the history of the nba, wins mvp then gets sweep in the first round by some team, thats even worster when hakeem took drob back to the navy after the mvp ceremony.

missmyzte
02-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Far be it for facts to come into play here, but apparently, it was the remaining Lakers fans who were chanting for Kobe, not Knicks fans.

According to Chris Sheridan @ ESPN.com.
That's probably true, but it just goes to show you how many Laker fans exist around the country, including New York. It wasn't quiet like it was just a couple people in one section, it was a lot of people and it was very noticable.

sa_butta
02-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Didnt Atlanta fans do that several years back too. I know this has been done before.

1Parker1
02-01-2006, 10:07 AM
That's probably true, but it just goes to show you how many Laker fans exist around the country, including New York. It wasn't quiet like it was just a couple people in one section, it was a lot of people and it was very noticable.

I see a lot of people in Philly wearing Kobe jerseys, suprisingly. I must have seen at least 10 the day after his 81 point performance. :lol

Warlord23
02-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Dominique Wilkins did that for about a decade and never got an MVP, nor should he have. If the criteria were that weak, AI would have about 5 or 6 by now.

Exactly. Kobe will be bucking quite a few trends if he gets MVP for a scoring title and a 7th seed. I don't think the MVP has ever been awarded to a player on a team with less than 50 wins. In the last decade and a half, the MVP has always gone to a team with a top-3 W-L record in the league.

The last MVP to come from a non-contender was Jordan in '87-88. Not only did he get 37/5/5 on 53% shooting, the Bulls won 50 games that season. In '88-89 Jordan had an even better year averaging 32/8/8 on 54% shooting, but the Bulls won 47 games and the MVP was given to Magic Johnson.

Another example: in 1981-82, the Iceman had 32/5/3 on 50% shooting, and the Spurs won 48 games and the Midwest division. He didn't get the MVP though. It'd be a surprise if Kobe wins MVP with 35/5/4 on 45% shooting and 45 wins. If the Lakers win 50, he has a much better chance.

nkdlunch
02-01-2006, 10:35 AM
who cares? Lakers won't even get past the 1st round of the playoffs for the next few years

spurjur
02-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Kobe is a good offensive player. That's about it. You can't say too much about his defense because there isn't that much of it. However, I think if the Lakers win 45+ and are a 6th seed or higher that Kobe will get MVP.

I think its absurd that someone who plays a team sport attempts so many shots.

waly.mg
02-01-2006, 12:38 PM
...that raped some white girl and got away with it

And NY GM too

SenorSpur
02-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Bottom line is when the regular season is done, Kobe will be a glorified playoff watcher like the rest of us.

mavsfan1000
02-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Kill Javie. Kill Javie. Kill Javie. Not MVP. Damn Kobe is getting the Jordan treatment this year.

T-Pain
02-01-2006, 02:57 PM
i wonder how the knicks felt about that

Medvedenko
02-01-2006, 03:23 PM
I thought Shaq made Kobe a better player......
Oh and he was player of the month for the West with crazy numbers....
The MVP is awarded to a player from a top 5 team. It's never about the best player in the game. That's why one year the Lakers had 4 all-stars, because there team had a crazy record.

missmyzte
02-01-2006, 03:46 PM
I see a lot of people in Philly wearing Kobe jerseys, suprisingly. I must have seen at least 10 the day after his 81 point performance. :lol
That's surprising, Philly has historically given Kobe the worst reception, despite it being his hometown.

Medvedenko
02-01-2006, 03:51 PM
I watch the games when the play the raps over the last few years and there are more Kobe jerseys than any other player, even when Carter was in town.

TOP-CHERRY
02-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Seriously kome will be the shittest mvp in the history of the nba, wins mvp then gets sweep in the first round by some team, thats even worster when hakeem took drob back to the navy after the mvp ceremony.
The worstest.

Ginobili_20_gold_medalist
02-01-2006, 05:46 PM
If Lebron keeps his current pace and the Cavs put up 50+ wins I think he'll take the MVP trophy home before Kobe. For a 21 year old his numbers are too much to ignore...31 ppg, 7 rebs, 6 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 49% shooting. That's just insane for a young player to be putting up those kind of numbers in only his 3rd season.

Kobe and Lebron are the bottom feeders for the MVP right now though. As much as I can't stand players that don't play defense Steve Nash would be my pick as of today. No Amare and a bunch of new faces in the starting lineup and Nash still has that team leading the Pacific.

ALVAREZ6
02-01-2006, 05:51 PM
They are known as bandwagoning bitch ass kobe cock riders...and I agree with you, there are a lot of them here...

duncan2k5
02-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Lakers will make the playoffs even if Kobe has to drag them there. I can understand why some may not like him but you HAVE to recognize that he is thest 2 guard in the league and a top 3 player overall. He should be a MVP candidate every year.
thats what laker fans thought last year...i knew better

emo serb
02-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Most Viscious Padder?
no, Most Violent Penetrater.

mavsfan1000
02-01-2006, 10:36 PM
no, Most Violent Penetrater.
:lol