PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with Kerr ranking the Mav's above the Spurs???

Shiner Bock Girl
02-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Did we lose a game i wasn't aware of that the Mav's deserved to be ranked a notch higher out of the blue...I mean i know the Spurs will be on their 8 game rodeo trip, but come on...I get the feeling Kerr all of a sudden has something against the Spurs...Maybe it was when Pop gave away his Jersey number...LOL...Is it just me that thinks this...Maybe i could be wrong...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Avee3JBpfEdmseLF695k.1K8vLYF?slug=sk-rankings013006&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

West's warming trends
By Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
January 30, 2006

Steve Kerr
Yahoo! Sports Exclusive
Detroit? We won't even talk about the Pistons anymore. They are in their own world. It's the rest of the NBA – the championship wannabes, if you will – that had my attention this past week.

And the two teams that caught my eye were a couple of Western Conference clubs – the Mavericks and Clippers.

Avery Johnson's Mavs have won eight in a row – five of them on the road – and have moved ahead of San Antonio for the second spot in the rankings. The Clippers, meanwhile, seem to have found their early season groove. They've won five straight games to close the gap on Phoenix in the Pacific Division. That's enough to vault Mike Dunleavy's squad to the No. 5 spot, just ahead of Miami.

Speaking of the Heat, it's time for them to start beating some good teams. A home loss to the Suns last Thursday means they're 0-6 against the top four teams in the rankings. I want to rank Miami higher, but the Heat need to beat a quality team for me to do so. It's time for the Heat to turn it on.

Here are this week's rankings (records and statistics are through Jan. 29):

Detroit 1. Detroit Pistons (37-5, Last ranking: 1) – It's almost time to talk about 70 wins. Let's wait until after the All-Star break.

Dallas 2. Dallas Mavericks (34-10, Last ranking: 3) – What a road trip. Mavericks go 5-0 away from home and use great depth to overcome various injuries. These guys are good.

San Antonio 3. San Antonio Spurs (34-10, Last ranking: 2) – Manu Ginobili is back. The Spurs are a totally different team when he's on the floor.

Phoenix 4. Phoenix Suns (28-16, Last ranking: 4) – Boris Diaw is close to joining elite company. Only LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Jason Kidd average at least six rebounds and six assists. Diaw (6.4 rebounds, 5.8 assists) is right there.

L.A. Clippers 5. Los Angeles Clippers (25-16, Last ranking: 8) – Don't look now, but the Clippers are even with Phoenix in the loss column. They're getting great play again from Elton Brand.

Miami 6. Miami Heat (27-18, Last ranking: 5) – Did Shaquille O'Neal really make 10 free throws in a row against Houston on Sunday?

Cleveland 7. Cleveland Cavaliers (25-17, Last ranking: 10) – The Cavs are like the stock market: up, down and back up again. Sunday's great comeback victory over Phoenix was Cleveland's fifth win in a row.

Memphis 8. Memphis Grizzlies (25-18, Last ranking: 6) – If Pau Gasol isn't on the West's All-Star team, there should be an investigation.

Denver 9. Denver Nuggets (25-21, Last ranking: 14) – Marcus Camby is back, but Denver had a little trouble adjusting to having him in the lineup. The Nuggets were blown out twice by the Clippers last week following his return.

Milwaukee 10. Milwaukee Bucks (23-20, Last ranking: 13) – With most of the East struggling, there's no reason why the talented Bucks shouldn't solidify their hold on a playoff spot.

New Jersey 11. New Jersey Nets (22-20, Last ranking: 9) – Whew. The Nets get to come home after an 0-4 road trip. Oh wait, now they play the Pistons. Nevermind.

L.A. Lakers 12. Los Angeles Lakers (23-20, Last ranking: 12) – All the focus seems to be on how many points Kobe Bryant is going to score, but with their next six games on the road, the Lakers are more interested in getting some wins.

Philadelphia 13. Philadelphia 76ers (23-21, Last ranking: 15) – With Allen Iverson out two games due to a sprained ankle, the Sixers knew they'd have to defend well to win. They gave up a combined 157 points in wins over New York and Orlando.

New Orleans 14. New Orleans Hornets (21-22, Last ranking: 18) – How about the job Byron Scott is doing? The Hornets are one of the league's surprise teams this year.

Washington 15. Washington Wizards (20-22, Last ranking: 17) – Caron Butler has become the third scorer the Wizards needed after Larry Hughes left for Cleveland.

Indiana 16. Indiana Pacers (21-21, Last ranking: 7) – Two seasons of adversity could finally be catching up with Rick Carlisle's club. Jermaine O'Neal could be out for the year, and the Pacers have lost five straight.

Utah 17. Utah Jazz (21-23, Last ranking: 11) – The Jazz have lost six of eight games and dropped from the Northwest Division lead (and the No. 3 playoff seed) to ninth place in the West.

Minnesota 18. Minnesota Timberwolves (20-22, Last ranking: 16) – Ricky Davis is looking to make his mark right away with the Wolves. He scored 46 points in his first two games with Minnesota.

Chicago 19. Chicago Bulls (20-23, Last ranking: 20) – The Bulls are as inconsistent as Cleveland, but not as good. Their four-game winning streak came three weeks after an eight-game losing slide.

Golden State 20. Golden State Warriors (20-23, Last ranking: 19) – A 3-9 January has the Warriors smarting. Mike Dunleavy recently blasted his team for being selfish.

Orlando 21. Orlando Magic (18-24, Last ranking: 25) – Dwight Howard is a rebounding machine. His offensive game is expanding, too.

Seattle 22. Seattle SuperSonics (18-25, Last ranking: 24) – Luke Ridnour looks like a young Steve Nash. He's averaging 22 points and 10 assists in his last three games.

Sacramento 23. Sacramento Kings (18-26, Last ranking: 23) – Rick Adelman is wasting little time getting Ron Artest acclimated. He went to him repeatedly down the stretch against Toronto last Sunday, and even though the Kings lost, Artest looked awfully good.

Boston 24. Boston Celtics (18-26, Last ranking: 26) – Wally Szczerbiak just looks like a Celtic, doesn't he?

Toronto 25. Toronto Raptors (15-30, Last ranking: 21) – Jalen Rose is auditioning quite well. It's no secret he's on the trading block, but with a year and a half left on a max contract, it might not matter how well he plays between now and the trading deadline.

Houston 26. Houston Rockets (15-28, Last ranking: 28) – With Tracy McGrady back and Yao Ming on his way, the Rockets can still make a playoff push. They're only six games out of the final spot in the West.

Portland 27. Portland Trail Blazers (15-27, Last ranking: 27) – The Blazers will play seven straight road games beginning Feb. 4. That doesn't bode well for a team that's 4-15 away from the Rose Garden.

New York 28. New York Knicks (14-28, Last ranking: 22) – That six-game winning streak sure seems like a long time ago.

Atlanta 29. Atlanta Hawks (11-31, Last ranking: 30) – Salim Stoudamire says he's looking for leadership from the Hawks' veterans. Do they have any?

Charlotte 30. Charlotte Bobcats (11-34, Last ranking: 29) – Happy New Year? The Bobcats are 1-14 in 2006.

Steve Kerr is Yahoo! Sports' NBA analyst. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Updated on Monday, Jan 30, 2006 8:26 pm EST

Phenomanul
02-01-2006, 09:29 AM
He just wanted to recognize and reward the Mavs for their 5-0 road trip.... deservedly so I would add....

The last time the Spurs had a 5 game road winning streak was.... during last year's rodeo trip.... hopefully the SPURS regain that ground.

ducks
02-01-2006, 09:31 AM
Indiana 16. Indiana Pacers (21-21, Last ranking: 7) – Two seasons of adversity could finally be catching up with Rick Carlisle's club. Jermaine O'Neal could be out for the year, and the Pacers have lost five straight.

Supergirl
02-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I read Kerr's rankings as a way of giving props to the Mavs, and since you can't drop the Pistons, the only other team to drop a notch is the Spurs. The Mavs have been playing well lately. Unless, of course, it's against the Lakers - hahahaha.

Kerr's assessment of the Spurs is, as usual, dead on. The Spurs are a whole different team offensively with Manu. He is their X factor against elite teams. Tim and Tony will get their points most nights, and they need to. But it's Manu's offense and Bowen's ability on D that will lead us to another championship.

TDMVPDPOY
02-01-2006, 10:44 AM
kerrs homerism had to come to an end apparently.

leemajors
02-01-2006, 10:46 AM
please, it doesn't mean he thinks the mavs can beat the spurs in a 7 game series. it's just mid season column fodder.

nkdlunch
02-01-2006, 10:51 AM
probably Cuban sent him an email crying like a bitch. He was probably like, alright fine but come playoffs and you know who'll be on top

doldrums
02-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Kerr's right. You have to reward a team for 5 straight road wins.

Star Player
02-01-2006, 11:26 AM
Kerr knows about what it takes to be a Team!

zeleni
02-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Kerr has a point. Spurs would not get thru Mavs if playoff were today. Not with Beno and Sean as a hot bench and Nazr as a phony center.
Not even a healthy Manu would not do the team much good, when there is so much chaos.

tekdragon
02-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Don't read so much into it. The Mavs are playing well, and have been for a while. The Spurs might be winning, but they haven't quite been playing well. The last two games have been very encouraging, though. Hopefully the road trip will kick them into gear again.

Jimcs50
02-01-2006, 12:03 PM
The last time the Spurs had a 5 game road winning streak was.... during last year's rodeo trip.... hopefully the SPURS regain that ground.

THEY DID NOT WIN 5 STRAIGHT LAST YEAR.

Phenomanul
02-01-2006, 02:19 PM
THEY DID NOT WIN 5 STRAIGHT LAST YEAR.

You're right I meant two seasons ago... They won 6 straight on the road with a home victory in between.

mavsfan1000
02-01-2006, 03:04 PM
Kerr knows his shit. Finally he watched some mavs games. :lol

Shiner Bock Girl
02-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Maybe so..I guess i was just reading too much into it..Hopefully Spurs will regain their lead here soon...We can only hope.... :depressed

Phenomanul
02-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Kerr knows his shit. Finally he watched some mavs games. :lol

Having key participation in the Mavs' worst playoff colapse ever... I would say Kerr knows much about the Mavs. :smokin

mavsfan1000
02-01-2006, 03:10 PM
Having key participation in the Mavs' worst playoff colapse ever... I would say Kerr knows much about the Mavs. :smokin
Yeah Kerr won't forget that. The spurs were up 2-0 to the lakers. :lol

Shiner Bock Girl
02-01-2006, 03:55 PM
But Mavs sure are on fire...Damnnn

Phenomanul
02-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Yeah Kerr won't forget that. The spurs were up 2-0 to the lakers. :lol

Ummm Kerr was retired by then.... get your seasons straight.

Solid D
02-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Josh Howard makes the Mavs better than the Spurs, at this point, considering health of players. This season, he's a much better all-around player and key-contributor to the flow of the game (points, rebounds, assists, hustle, defense, tipped balls, steals, etc.).

Manu is to the Spurs what Josh is to the Mavs.

JHoLove
02-01-2006, 06:01 PM

I agree. Josh Howard really helps us, and complements dirk because josh creates his own shots and doesnt take from anyone else. But, I can't wait for the playoffs.

SequSpur
02-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Josh Howard makes the Mavs better than the Spurs, at this point, considering health of players. This season, he's a much better all-around player and key-contributor to the flow of the game (points, rebounds, assists, hustle, defense, tipped balls, steals, etc.).

Manu is God.

Solid D
02-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Not hardly. :(

milkyway21
02-01-2006, 08:19 PM
this is not a surprise.

wasn't he the one who predicted that the Spurs would lose to Detroit in the finals? or was it the Denver Nuggets? or what team was that? or I'm having amnesia? :lol

ohh! this part owner of the Suns is just scared of the Spurs :angel

no problemo.

Duncanfan
02-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Mavs continue to show why they deserve respect.. they just gutted out a very good win against the memphis grizzlies. Considering that they did this on a back to back HOME to AWAY game.. it's something alright.
Anyway, the Spurs haven't really proven anything yet this season.. they've lost to Detroit twice and the Mavs are 1-0 against the pistons and 1-1 against our team so I think they do deserve to be #2 in the power rankings. Hope the Spurs return to championship form due to this 8 game rodeo indeed..

On a side note, don't you guys think Miami is a little over rated and over publicized this season!? I mean it's too obvious that they don't stand a chance against the Spurs, Mavs, Pistons and Suns.

mavsfan1000
02-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Mavs continue to show why they deserve respect.. they just gutted out a very good win against the memphis grizzlies. Considering that they did this on a back to back HOME to AWAY game.. it's something alright.
Anyway, the Spurs haven't really proven anything yet this season.. they've lost to Detroit twice and the Mavs are 1-0 against the pistons and 1-1 against our team so I think they do deserve to be #2 in the power rankings. Hope the Spurs return to championship form due to this 8 game rodeo indeed..

On a side note, don't you guys think Miami is a little over rated and over publicized this season!? I mean it's too obvious that they don't stand a chance against the Spurs, Mavs, Pistons and Suns.

Thanks for the compliment on Dallas. It should be a interesting race to see who gets first. It doesn't seem like either can lose.