PDA

View Full Version : This Doesnt make sense to me...

sa_butta
02-01-2006, 09:38 AM
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1138315820044&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064

High-profile candidates out there
Jan. 27, 2006. 01:00 AM

A look at some of the potential candidates for the vacant Raptor general manager job:

<LI>Rod Thorn, New Jersey

Made discreet enquiries before Babcock was hired, could he be lured north? Biggest name out there.

<LI>Keke Vandeweghe, Denver

Has experience in rebuilding and tenure with Nuggets is tenuous after this year.

<LI>R.C. Buford, San Antonio

If the Spurs win another title, perhaps one of the best judges of talent and cap management could be convinced to move.

<LI>Donnie Nelson, Dallas

The son, not the dad; he might be ready to make a move away from Mark Cuban and the Mavericks.

<LI>Geoff Petrie, Sacramento

If things go sour with Kings — after Artest trade, that's a possibility — highly regarded GM may be looking to move.

<LI>Ed Stefanski, New Jersey

Thorn's right-hand man might not be a big enough name to carry title of president as well.

<LI>Larry Brown, New York

Things aren't going so well with Knicks; he toyed with Cavaliers' president job last spring.

<LI>John Hammond, Detroit

Didn't even get an interview last time and should have; well-respected lieutenant of Joe Dumars.

<LI>John Gabriel, Portland

He's now scouting but has track record as a general manager in Orlando, will want the job but may not be big enough.

<LI>Julius Erving, unattached

Why not? Maybe he could get Vince Carter back and motivated.

If we won another title why would he want to leave here?

ducks
02-01-2006, 09:40 AM
they gave rc a raise last year with a new title
to prevent him from leaving

sa_butta
02-01-2006, 09:41 AM
That is why I dont understand how he could be convinced to leave with that, and if we win another title.

Solid D
02-01-2006, 09:56 AM
I would think good basketball people who are seeking an increase in pay or rank would be the likely candidates. At last check, the Canadian tax rate at the highest bracket was 10 points higher than the USA which has caused agents to get tricky with the income and benefits packages.

Why would Buford take a somewhat lateral move? The Prestis and Stefanskis of the world would have more incentive to move on and move up...if you can call the Raptors "moving up".

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Why would Buford take a somewhat lateral move? The Prestis and Stefanskis of the world would have more incentive to move on and move up...if you can call the Raptors "moving up".

We're going to have a head basketball coach position open up here at Texas State. That would be about lateral with a job in the Raptors front office.

TDMVPDPOY
02-01-2006, 11:26 AM
RC IS SPURS FOR LIFE!!! He aint goin anywhere!!!

The only reason i can see him leavin is probaly a job thats more challenging