PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Duncan an MVP???

Brutalis
02-01-2006, 08:58 PM
20/11... 35/10... his stats are down cause he don't play the garbage minutes in blowouts...

Why no respect? Understanding his early season play wasn't like him. He still owns every big man in this league, period. And his team wins games because of him. Not to mention the shitty play from our other bigs, Manu missing games...

seriously. Someone give me a real explaination that isn't full of bullshit and 'hum-haws.'

timvp
02-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Because he only started trying within the last couple days.

SoCalSpursFan
02-01-2006, 09:09 PM
He has had better seasons up to this point, but the season isnt even close to over. I wouldn't start worrying now, if at all. Timmy isn't about MVPs, he can be finals MVP, I'll take that over League MVP.

TDMVPDPOY
02-01-2006, 09:38 PM
im pretty sure TD has DPOY locked up this season, since artest didnt play enough games, bowen will be there, only person i see givin td a run for the award is either ben or ak47

MI21
02-01-2006, 09:47 PM
This is the one season where I truly feel Timmy has often not been the best player on the court. He's starting to get into it now, but for most of the season he has been playing quarters and halves, and not whole games. I believe come playoff time if he is healthy, he will resume his ordinary role of being incredibly brilliant :D

In regards to MVP, he is obviously still one of the best, but voters just can't go past the stats of Kobe, AI, Lebron, Brand, Dirk etc...like it or not :(

hussker
02-01-2006, 09:54 PM
This is the one season where I truly feel Timmy has often not been the best player on the court. He's starting to get into it now, but for most of the season he has been playing quarters and halves, and not whole games. I believe come playoff time if he is healthy, he will resume his ordinary role of being incredibly brilliant :D

In regards to MVP, he is obviously still one of the best, but voters just can't go past the stats of Kobe, AI, Lebron, Brand, Dirk etc...like it or not :(

You guys all know that we do not click until after Rodeo Road Trip. That is not just the past few years...That goes as far back as '92. Spurs never peaked until March. EVEN when we had RODMAN, remember? We won like 15 of 17 AFTER that dirtball was injured from his motorcycle accident. He said he; "stayed out so the Spurs knew they could win without me" and that he "built their confidence".

The Spurs and the Pistons are not GLAM. They are perfect examples of anti-establishment and Stern has holes in his gastric lining because of them. MVP? Who really cares over the span of 82 games? I will take the one one over the Best of SEVEN any day.

MI21
02-01-2006, 10:02 PM
You guys all know that we do not click until after Rodeo Road Trip. That is not just the past few years...That goes as far back as '92. Spurs never peaked until March. EVEN when we had RODMAN, remember? We won like 15 of 17 AFTER that dirtball was injured from his motorcycle accident. He said he; "stayed out so the Spurs knew they could win without me" and that he "built their confidence".

The Spurs and the Pistons are not GLAM. They are perfect examples of anti-establishment and Stern has holes in his gastric lining because of them. MVP? Who really cares over the span of 82 games? I will take the one one over the Best of SEVEN any day.

I know all about SPAM.

I'm just saying Timmy hasn't been as good early this year even compared to some of those other years where the team got off to slow starts. I realise it's injuries playing a big part, but it just feels like there is something missing from his game. I'm sure others have noticed it, evidenced by timvp's comments earlier in the thread.

No doubt he will come good and be his usual self later on, but as of now he isn't MVP. And that is what this discussion was about.

hussker
02-01-2006, 10:05 PM
I know all about SPAM.

I'm just saying Timmy hasn't been as good early this year even compared to some of those other years where the team got off to slow starts. I realise it's injuries playing a big part, but it just feels like there is something missing from his game. I'm sure others have noticed it, evidenced by timvp's comments earlier in the thread.

No doubt he will come good and be his usual self later on, but as of now he isn't MVP. And that is what this discussion was about.

And my point was, who cares...rings is/are what counts

MI21
02-01-2006, 10:09 PM
And my point was, who cares...rings is/are what counts

I know that and I agree. But plenty of people enjoy the MVP race etc.

But why post in a thread discussing the MVP if you don't care about it? I don't want to hijack the thread, so that's all I'll say.

hussker
02-01-2006, 10:13 PM
You asked the question...that's why.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-01-2006, 11:24 PM
duncan isnt even a top 10 candidate this season for MVP and thats a fact. he may not even be the MVP of his own team this season.

slayermin
02-02-2006, 12:09 AM
http://home.swbell.net/maya357/mavs_losing2.jpg

:rollin

JamStone
02-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Tim Duncan is an MVP candidate, just like Allen Iverson and Shaquille O'Neal, just about every year. But, the NBA in particular and the people who vote for the MVP are generally opposed to recycling MVPs. Duncan got that back-to-back MVPs, but I suspect it was reluctantly by the voters.

When there are other players with similar stats, and those players also help their respective teams to better records, they sometimes get more consideration. While former MVP award winners are likely held to a higher standard. A guy like Tim Duncan might have to exceed the numbers he put up in his MVP seasons to really get consideration.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but that appears to be the case, at least with the NBA League MVP award. Plus, this year in particular, there are a lot of worthy candidates who are putting up impressive seasons AND helping their teams win more games.

Anyway, I still view Duncan as an MVP type player. I think most people still do. I just think it will be very hard for him to get the award this year.

JamStone
02-02-2006, 12:19 AM
SoCalSpursFan,

In your Duncan/Dirk sig, you do realize that Tim Duncan's face is also in the mirror, right?

"Objects in the mirror are losing"

Duncan IN the mirror ...

1Parker1
02-02-2006, 12:22 AM
SoCalSpursFan,

In your Duncan/Dirk sig, you do realize that Tim Duncan's face is also in the mirror, right?

"Objects in the mirror are losing"

Duncan IN the mirror ...

:lmao That was my thought also. I couldn't figure out who it was supposed to insult more....

TDMVPDPOY
02-02-2006, 02:46 AM
Adds more insult to dirk for riding a pink bike, wouldve been more if they added the wheels on each side of teh rear wheel and have strings comin down from the handlebar.

Morphgizmo
02-02-2006, 06:55 AM

I remember the picture that preceded that one. It was a worried Dirk in the car with Manu in an apache helicopter closing in. It was the year that the Mavs jumped out to an early 5-6 game lead in the division only to have the Spurs reel them in after the all star break.

Didn't Ghengisrex start that series?

krinkx
02-02-2006, 07:25 AM
it's because he is not his old MVP self.. as simple as that... he is still good, albeit very good... but not as good as say (1999 or 2003) and the fact that he is semi-injured...

but dont worry... the ring is better than any other individual accolades... :)

Eruff24
02-02-2006, 09:23 AM
The Nba has turned into the ONE man show and in order to win Mvp from now on you have to be a ball hog. Not to mention the last 2 Mvps didnt reach the finals.

Star Player
02-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Tim Duncan is not MVP cuz he is a Team Player!

Rick Von Braun
02-02-2006, 09:45 AM

I remember the picture that preceded that one. It was a worried Dirk in the car with Manu in an apache helicopter closing in. It was the year that the Mavs jumped out to an early 5-6 game lead in the division only to have the Spurs reel them in after the all star break.

Didn't Ghengisrex start that series?
Yep, Ghengisrex did.