PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Drop Second Straight, Lose To Nets 82-75.

Pooh
12-28-2003, 03:46 AM
By Johnnie Clay - Pacers Insider.
December 27, 2003 - 11:45 p.m.

Elton John wrote a song about it, it's called "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting". Tonight the Indiana Pacers did some "fighting", unfortunately it was from the inside as they were defeated soundly by the New Jersey Nets this evening 82-75. Jason Kidd of the Nets had another triple-double as the Nets dominated the the Pacers in every catagory.

The Pacers "sleepwalked" their way during the first half and were very lucky to be trailing by only six points, 42-36 at halftime.

Nothing was going right for the Pacers, who shot 39% and committed 11 turnovers in the first half. The second half began with more of the same as Pacers Coach Rick Carlisle benched guard Ron Artest at the start of the third quarter, "for conduct that was detrimental to winning" in his own words.

During all of this mess, the Nets used a 10-0 run in the third quarter to take control of the game. Kenyon Martin hit a jumper, Kerry Kittles had a breakaway slam and Richard Jefferson added two jump shots for a 55-45 lead.

Carlisle became infuriated when referee Scott Wall called O'Neal for a foul on Kidd with 3:54 to play in the quarter. He crossed the halfcourt line and berated Wall with profanity as Austin Croshere restrained him, prompting the official to eject him.

The coaching reigns went to assistant coach Mike Brown, who promptly benched all the starters except center Jeff Foster. The line up of Foster, Jamaal Tinsley, James Jones, Fred Jones, and Austin Croshere closed the period with an 8-3 run that cut the deficit to 63-55.

The Nets led 75-59 with 6:15 remaining when the Pacers finally began standing their ground, defensively, and the effort translated into a 13-point run that spanned nearly four minutes. Al Harrington had six points in the run and the Nets missed six shots in a row. Kenyon Martin ended the drought by scoring on a post-up against Jermaine O'Neal, but Reggie Miller hit a 3-pointer to make it 77-75 with 1:01 remaining. Richard Jefferson then hit a jumper from the top of the key and Kidd stole the ball from Miller, drawing a foul - and an ill-time technical - from Miller. The free throws put the Nets up 81-75 with 31 seconds left and Miller missed a 3-pointer on the ensuing possession, ending the rally and the game.

The loss was the Pacers second in a row, the first time this year that the team has lost consecutive games. Coach Carlisle, who was ejected midway through the third quarter, was irate afterwards, giving his team an ear full in the locker room. Carlisle then came out and said this about his teams' performance.

“I’m disappointed we lost; but I’m proud of the guys who played in the second half and hung in there. They played with a lot of heart and New Jersey was just too good." Carlisle said. "Ron Artest did not play in the second half for conduct that was detrimental to winning. We’re a team right now that has forgotten who we are. Winning isn’t easy. We’re young and immature as hell. As head coach I was hired to bring this team to a championship level and it can’t happen unless 12 players, three guys on the injured list and four coaches do it the right way. The 18,345 fans here tonight got gypped. This team has a chance to do some unique things."

Ron Artest came out afterwards to explain his side of things. "They said something was wrong with me and were upset with my 3-point shots early." Artest said. "But everybody comes in and takes bad shots at times but I thought things got better as the half went along. The coaches and I argued at halftime because they thought something was wrong with me; but nothing was. I was angry. I just wanted to get back in the game. I just wanted to win this game."

For the game, the Pacers shot below 40% for the fifth time in six games (.364) and were 5-21 from the arc 24% (.238) . They also had more turnovers (18) than assists (16). Al Harrington led the Pacers with 22 points, adding 7 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocked shots. Austin Croshere had his first double-double of the season with 13 points and 11 rebounds in 22 minutes off the bench, while Jermaine O'Neal had 13 points and 11 rebounds, and Reggie Miller scored in double figures for the first time in eight games with 13 points.

The Pacers now take Sunday off to lick their wounds and prepare for the Memphis Grizzlies Monday night at Conseco Fieldhouse. The Grizzlies are currently on a five game losing streak and have never won at Conseco Fieldhouse.

Gametime Monday is at 7:00 pm (EST)