PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Snub of no concern to Bowen

Kori Ellis
02-02-2006, 02:00 AM
Spurs notebook: Snub of no concern to Bowen

Web Posted: 02/02/2006 12:33 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA020206.6C.BKNspurs.notebook.18118d5a.html

PORTLAND, Ore. — Bruce Bowen would like to participate in the NBA's annual 3-point shootout on All-Star Saturday. The only problem: No one has given him any indication he'll be invited.

The league is expected to announce the shootout contestants next week. That Bowen hasn't been contacted by anyone isn't a good sign for his chances.

"I would love to do it if the opportunity is given to me," Bowen said. "But you don't have control over certain things like that. It's what the league thinks more than anything else.

"If it happens, I'll be thankful."

Bowen had made 45.2 percent of his 3-point attempts entering Wednesday's game, fourth best in the league.

But he also knows as well as anyone that league officials don't always use accuracy as the determining criteria for the All-Star event. When Bowen led the league in 3-point shooting in the 2002-03 season, he wasn't selected.

Though Bowen still makes most of his 3-pointers from the corners, he also has started to shoot from the wings in recent seasons.

"That's one of the reputations I have in this league," Bowen said. "People see me do well from there and they figure I can't do it from anywhere else.

"But that's part of our system, part of what we do. You look at my last three against the Detroit Pistons (in Game 7 of the NBA Finals) and it wasn't from the corner."

No shot for Van Exel: Popovich said the team will hold off deciding whether to give Nick Van Exel another cortisone injection for his left elbow until next week.

Popovich wants to see how Van Exel responds to rest. Van Exel sat out his second game in a row and won't play tonight at Golden State.

That will give him 10 consecutive days of rest before the Spurs start the second leg of their trip next week in Toronto.

"If that doesn't work, then maybe we'll try a shot," Popovich said.

Robert Horry, who has a lower abdominal strain, didn't play for the seventh time in eight games. Popovich is leaning toward also holding him out of tonight's game.

Williams on Blazers' bench: Former Spurs forward Monty Williams is one of Portland coach Nate McMillan's top assistants.

Williams interned with the Spurs last season in a player-development role then coached the team's summer-league entry. The team planned to create a full-time job for him, but McMillan offered him a coaching position.

"He was very direct and focused — he wanted to coach," Popovich said. "He put in the time, watching film, coming to our meetings, working the practices.

"He's just a classy guy, who has a great work ethic and feel for the game. He did a great job for us."

Briefly: The Spurs' Feb. 10 game at New Jersey has been picked up by ESPN and will now begin at 7 p.m. It was originally scheduled to start at 6:30 p.m. ... From the Obscure Stats Department: The Spurs' 79-70 victory over Utah on Monday was the ninth time in Popovich's career the team has won on the road despite scoring fewer than 80 points. He is tied with Jeff Van Gundy and Lenny Wilkens for the most such victories in the shot-clock era.

MI21
02-02-2006, 02:11 AM
Remember when Steve Smith represented the Spurs? He got something like 9 :lol

Bruce would struggle to get all the balls up in time and we don't really know how good of a shooter he is from anywhere other than the corner.

Still, I'd like to see him in it.

timvp
02-02-2006, 02:12 AM
Bowen would fail miserably in the 3 point contest, as much as I like him.

True. He's a catch and shoot player. He'd struggle in a three-point contest.

Kori Ellis
02-02-2006, 02:15 AM
I don't care if he'd struggle in it. He should still get invited. He led the league in 3 point field goal percentage a few years ago, he's near the top again this year, and they should invite him.

He would really enjoy, deserve and appreciate the whole All-Star weekend experience.

TDMVPDPOY
02-02-2006, 02:16 AM
how about beno or barry go in?

milkyway21
02-02-2006, 02:17 AM
so Bowen's eligible to participate in the 3pt shoot-out even if he's played over 3 yrs in the NBA?

well, that's a snub, alright. Like last yr they had almost Suns player for a lot of events-Dunk, Skills, 3pt...

today the NBA website posted that TNT will announce the All-Star game WC/EC invites tonight. Tim Duncan was voted to start. and I hope they won't snub Tony Parker or Manu to participate or I'd be really pissed off.

Kori Ellis
02-02-2006, 02:18 AM
so Bowen's eligible to participate in the 3pt shoot-out even if he's played over 3 yrs in the NBA?

Yeah, that rule is just for the dunk contest.

milkyway21
02-02-2006, 02:22 AM
Yeah, that rule is just for the dunk contest.well, he shld be in the 3pt shoot-out.

Grrr! this All-Star game is just becoming more Hollywood every yr. More hype than skills. They shld give credit to players who stand tall in the stats sheet.

polandprzem
02-02-2006, 03:35 AM
True. He's a catch and shoot player. He'd struggle in a three-point contest.

Hmm - you never seen him practice?

I bet he is doing practice like this one on the ASWeekend .

Unfortunately we won't see him participaiting ina SDC :depressed

That's why I think he should be selected to the 3pointers

gospursgojas
02-02-2006, 03:41 AM
The only spurs I can remember in any of the All-Star Saturday events were Steve Smith in the 3pt contest, Chuck Person in the 3pt contest, and Tony Parker in the skills competion. And they all embarassed me as a Spurs fan :lol Well tony was killing but he couldnt hit a 15 ft jumper

Ohh yeah Barry participated in the 3pt contest in his warmups a few years back while he was a Sonic and did the good the first round, but then got cocky..... did the C-Walk and lost. And then there was that Dunk contest that he actually won :rolleyes :lol

Supergirl
02-02-2006, 09:21 AM
I don't care if he'd struggle in it. He should still get invited. He led the league in 3 point field goal percentage a few years ago, he's near the top again this year, and they should invite him.

He would really enjoy, deserve and appreciate the whole All-Star weekend experience.

I agree. Bowen is the most underrated player in the NBA, IMHO. He is the reason the Spurs won Game 7 last year, really - without his D on Billups the Pistons could have gone on to win. Yet he's never gotten the DPOY award. And to be one of the most accurate 3 point shooters 2 years in a row and not be considered for the 3 point shooting contest - WTF? WTF does he have to do to get some respect? He already plays every single game, and plays hard and with more discipline than 80% of the players in the NBA have in their right pinkies.

Que Gee
02-02-2006, 09:28 AM
...I wish they would give Barry a shot only because no one has every one the dunk contest and the 3pt contest in their career.

ZStomp
02-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Bowen would fail miserably in the 3 point contest, as much as I like him.

Agree. Hey, he will now enjoy a nice vacation.

Solid D
02-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Here is some info on the actual All-Star Game itself, involving Spurs players.
There have been quite a few Spurs making All-Star game appearances over the years, ABA and NBA.

Sean Elliott - 2 NBA
George Gervin - 3 ABA, 9 NBA 1-MVP
Artis Gilmore - 2 NBA
Rich Jones - 1 ABA
Larry Kenon - 1 ABA, 2 NBA
Swen Nater - 2 ABA
Billy Paultz - 1 ABA
Alvin Robertson - 3 NBA
David Robinson - 10 NBA
James Silas - 2 ABA

Current Spurs
Tim Duncan - 7 NBA (this year will be his 8th) , 1 co-MVP
Manu Ginobili - 1 NBA

Note:
Michael Finley has been an NBA All-Star 2 times (Mavericks)
Nick Van Exel has been an NBA All-Star 1 time (Lakers)

Manu Ginobili has been an Italian League All-Star
Fabricio Oberto has been a Spanish League All-Star
Tony Parker has been a French All-Star
Beno Udrih has been a Slovenian All-Star

ZStomp
02-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Alvin Robertson - 3 NBA

haha

i saw him at HEB on Perrin Beitel/Thousand Oaks two days ago.

boutons_
02-02-2006, 09:39 AM
Bruce hasn't helped his cause by going only 14 - 38 = 36.8% since 1 Dec, which is a level that would place him, in season %age, with Manu, Jason Kidd, Eddie Jones, and .... Antoine Walker, down in the 60th's in the NBA.

Bruce is 42.6% for season, NBA 6th, based predominantly on his 3G November shooting.

And shooting under 60% season for FTs doesn't help his image as a crowd-pleasing, All-Star-caliber shooter. For an apparently level-headed, mature guy, at the FT line, he's just another psychotic Spur, doing his bit keeping the Spurs 29th of 30 in FT% . :lol

Pistons < Spurs
02-02-2006, 09:41 AM
IMO he shouldn't be there on All-Star weekend for the shootout. While he does have a very good %, the fact is that he only has 57 made three's for the year. That's slightly over one per game.

Rip Hamilton leads the league in % @ 49.2%...but again, he has limited shots druing the year (31 made, 63 attempts). He should not be in the shootout either.

I beleive the shootout should be relegated to the guys who are considered true 3 point threats. I would never call Rip or Bowen "threats" with the 3 ball, even though both of them can and do make them on a consistent basis.

I look for guys like Billups, Bell, Korver, Allen, Peja, Redd, Bibby, Arenas, Richardson etc etc. Even though some of those guys may not have the best percentage in the L currently, they are the cream of the crop in regards to the 3 ball. Those are the guys when you play them, that you have to be truly worried about them from behind the line. You have to game plan around their ability to shoot the 3.

Guys like Bowen and Rip do not fall into that category IMO.

Phenomanul
02-02-2006, 09:44 AM

Could you imagine if Ray Allen were also in the contest and Bowen ran up to him and tripped him.... before the money ball!!! :lol

Phenomanul
02-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Or if they changed it up and had Bowen defend everybody's 3pt shots with a hand in their face....

Solid D
02-02-2006, 10:31 AM
The only spurs I can remember in any of the All-Star Saturday events were Steve Smith in the 3pt contest, Chuck Person in the 3pt contest, and Tony Parker in the skills competion. And they all embarassed me as a Spurs fan :lol Well tony was killing but he couldnt hit a 15 ft jumper

Ohh yeah Barry participated in the 3pt contest in his warmups a few years back while he was a Sonic and did the good the first round, but then got cocky..... did the C-Walk and lost. And then there was that Dunk contest that he actually won :rolleyes :lol

On Saturday All-Star Game events, here are some Spurs participants that I remember (if I list the year, that means I've confirmed it):

Edgar "Helicopter" Jones - Slam Dunk 1984
Johnny Dawkins - Slam Dunk 1987
Shelton Jones - Slam Dunk 1989
George Gervin - Legends 1991, 92, 93
Artis Gilmore - Legends 1991, 92, 93
Dale Ellis - Long Distance Shootout 1994
Chuck Person - Long Distance Shootout 1995
Terry Porter - Long Distance Shootout 2000
Steve Smith - Long Distance Shootout 2002
Tony Parker - Rookie Challenge 2002 (Rookie), 2003 (Soph), Skills Challenge 2003
Manu Ginobili - Rookie Challenge 2003 (Rookie DNP-injured), 2004 (Soph)
Beno Udrih - Rookie Challenge 2005 (Rookie)

Larry Kenon and George Gervin were in at least one ABA Slam Dunk contest

2centsworth
02-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Bruce is one of the best Clutch Shooters on the team, so it wouldn't surprise me if he stepped up and did well in the 3pt contest.

Notorious H.O.P.
02-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Bruce is one of the best Clutch Shooters on the team, so it wouldn't surprise me if he stepped up and did well in the 3pt contest.

As timvp said, Bruce is more of a catch-and-shoot type of guy. I don't think his form translates well when it comes to shooting so many shots within a short period of time. He also hasn't shown enough in terms of shooting from around the entire arc to inspire too much confidence in the selection committee. I love Bruce too but I think he would struggle. But I'd love for him to have the opportunity to prove me wrong.

nkdlunch
02-02-2006, 11:43 AM
the league hates Bowen 'cause he makes superstars of opposing teams boring

wildbill2u
02-02-2006, 11:50 AM

Bowen just doesn't have enough pizzazz for the TV driven 3pt shot contest, no matter how much he deserves to be in it.

Solid D
02-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Just for a joke, the NBA ought to send Bruce out there on the floor like he's going to defend against the first "Long Distance Shootout" contestant.

Talk about a mind-psyche.

SpursWoman
02-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Just for a joke, the NBA ought to send Bruce out there on the floor like he's going to defend against the first "Long Distance Shootout" contestant.

:lol

ChumpDumper
02-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Bruce has such a long windup he wouldn't get past the rack on top of the arc. I really think his camping out at the corners keeps him from getting chosen.

mrose31
02-02-2006, 01:27 PM

Talk about a mind-psyche.

Hope Ray Allen if first then when Bowen goes to pretend to guard him.

abelle23
02-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Or if they changed it up and had Bowen defend everybody's 3pt shots with a hand in their face....

that would be so much fun to watch :lol :lol

Que Gee
02-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Bruce has such a long windup he wouldn't get past the rack on top of the arc. I really think his camping out at the corners keeps him from getting chosen.

Bingo. I applaud his percentage, but the guy literally stands in the corner with no one coming at him within 15ft, and takes about 3 3point shots a game.

implacable44
02-02-2006, 04:06 PM
he does know that he has to shoot from the wing and the top of the key right ?

exstatic
02-02-2006, 07:22 PM
well, he shld be in the 3pt shoot-out.

Grrr! this All-Star game is just becoming more Hollywood every yr. More hype than skills. They shld give credit to players who stand tall in the stats sheet.
It's been that way for the better part of a decade. I watch some of the main game, and that's it. I look at it as my mid winter break from basketball, since there isn't any on that weekend. :lol

timvp
02-02-2006, 07:42 PM
On Saturday All-Star Game events, here are some Spurs participants that I remember (if I list the year, that means I've confirmed it):

Edgar "Helicopter" Jones - Slam Dunk 1984
Johnny Dawkins - Slam Dunk 1987
Shelton Jones - Slam Dunk 1989
George Gervin - Legends 1991, 92, 93
Artis Gilmore - Legends 1991, 92, 93
Dale Ellis - Long Distance Shootout 1994
Chuck Person - Long Distance Shootout 1995
Terry Porter - Long Distance Shootout 2000
Steve Smith - Long Distance Shootout 2002
Tony Parker - Rookie Challenge 2002 (Rookie), 2003 (Soph), Skills Challenge 2003
Manu Ginobili - Rookie Challenge 2003 (Rookie DNP-injured), 2004 (Soph)
Beno Udrih - Rookie Challenge 2005 (Rookie)

Larry Kenon and George Gervin were in at least one ABA Slam Dunk contest

Don't forget about the time Sean Elliott was going to be in the slam dunk contest. I think it was in 1993 or 1994. Too bad he had to withdraw due to injury :(

spurschick
02-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Didn't Steve Kerr and Manu participate in something with Sue Bird as a Spurs/Silver Stars team?

Kori Ellis
02-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Didn't Steve Kerr and Manu participate in something with Sue Bird as a Spurs/Silver Stars team?

Haha. Not Sue Bird -- she's on the Seattle team. But Jennifer Azzi, yes.

spurschick
02-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Haha. Not Sue Bird -- she's on the Seattle team. But Jennifer Azzi, yes.

:lol Oh yeah. The whole thing was kind of weird anyway.

milkyway21
02-02-2006, 07:50 PM
He is the reason the Spurs won Game 7 last year...and who can forget that 7-3pts, 2nd game West Semis vs the Lakers in 2003? :wow that was one of my favorite Bruce moment. ShaQ was shocked!

T Park
02-02-2006, 08:43 PM
I beleive the shootout should be relegated to the guys who are considered true 3 point threats

You'd think after the Finals last year, youd recognize Bruce Bowen as a true, 3 point threat.

But typical from all the haters, no respect.

T Park
02-02-2006, 08:46 PM
and who can forget that 7-3pts, 2nd game West Semis vs the Lakers in 2003? that was one of my favorite Bruce moment

What made that classic was,

at the time Ghostwriter said to beat the Lakers, the guy defending Kobe, had to score within 13 points of Kobe.

Bowen had like 27 and Kobe had what, 30?

Most of the game, Bowen outscored him.

A total ass whoopin, that game was.

milkyway21
02-02-2006, 09:34 PM
the league doesn't want anything like this to happen during the All-Star.:D

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5280230_7_2.jpg
Bruce Bowen trying to stop 2001 Dunk Champ Desmond Mason's dunk

mikejones99
02-02-2006, 10:06 PM
If Avery was smart he should pick Bowen for a reserve with Tony and Manu. 4 spurs total would be fun to watch.

phyzik
02-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Bruce would say "If I make these next 2 shots, you all have to wear my wrist band"

Solid D
02-02-2006, 10:15 PM
the league doesn't want anything like this to happen during the All-Star.:D

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5280230_7_2.jpg
Bruce Bowen trying to stop 2001 Dunk Champ Desmond Mason's dunk

:lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Solid D...

How could you have forgotten the man, the myth, the leg...well, let's stick with myth.

Greg "Cadillac" Anderson. 1988 Slam Dunk Contest.

exstatic
02-02-2006, 10:36 PM
If Avery was smart he should pick Bowen for a reserve with Tony and Manu. 4 spurs total would be fun to watch.
Except that the coach doesn't pick the reserves, ALL of the coaches do, collectively.

Solid D
02-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Good catch Johnny. Actually this link shows 1988.

http://www.nba.com/history/allstar/slamdunk_year_by_year.html

milkyway21
02-02-2006, 10:39 PM
If Avery was smart he should pick Bowen for a reserve with Tony and Manu. 4 spurs total would be fun to watch....come on Mikejones, you know that's impossible.4 players from the same team?

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Good catch Johnny. Actually this link shows 1988.

http://www.nba.com/history/allstar/slamdunk_year_by_year.html

Yeah...caught that, too.

Still, the info you dropped was more than I would have known if I tried. :lol