PDA

View Full Version : How is Parker's shot coming along?

ambchang
02-02-2006, 11:25 AM
With him driving in the lane and making layup after layup, I just can't really see how is shot is progressing. In fact, his FT% is hovering around career lows, he is shooting less 3s and making a lower percentage. But then of course, the most important thing is the midrange jumper, which seems to not have improved too much.
Don't get me wrong, I think Parker is having a career year, but I still believe that his midrange is going to be the thing that makes or breaks the Spurs.

Bruno
02-02-2006, 11:57 AM
You should look at his shoot and read his interview. Looking stats is not enough to judge a player. (see Nazr/Rasho threads)

Parker's jumper looks way better than last year and he has the same eFG% on jumpshot than last year (40-41%). It's very encouraging and his jumpshot will likely be slighty better this year than last year for the playoff.

SoCalSpursFan
02-02-2006, 12:14 PM
I would say it's coming along great, despite the fact he spends most of his time in the lane this season!

boutons_
02-02-2006, 12:22 PM
I don't have any stats, but it sure seems like since 1 Dec, Tony's jumper is falling more consistently.

What's more worrisome is that the team is in shooting slump, in recent games in low 40s and 30s (vs Jazz, Blazers) vs Spurs as NBA best FG 48% earlier. Bruce has been sucking at 3Gs since 1 Dec.

I guess the Spurs still aren't a good jump-shooting team. One area that definitely needs to ramp back up to play-off level.

DDS4
02-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Work in progress me thinks.

BigVee
02-02-2006, 01:35 PM
I think his shot is much better, do know about stats, but it looks better and it sure feels like he has hit some big shots that he used to miss. Free throws are still inconsistent but he can now get in a groove and hit several in a row.

FuzzyLumpkins
02-02-2006, 01:36 PM
All I know is that when he takes a 20 foot jumpshoy im now to the point where im expecting it to go in from his shooting over the last month.

SouthernFried
02-02-2006, 01:41 PM
He has made some decent outside shots lately. At the beginning of the season it was looking real good. As were his and Timmy's FT's. Then, they reverted back to their old bad habits. Now it seems Tony is coming out of it, and shooting good again. I think this time it'll stick.

ChumpDumper
02-02-2006, 01:45 PM
It looks like it's becoming part of his natural decision making, not a last resort. He seems to break it out later in games after opposing teams have made their adjustments and he does it without hesitation. It has to be really deflating to teams who think they found the answer to his penetration.

itzsoweezee
02-02-2006, 02:32 PM
one of the reasons parker is getting to the basket w/ such frequeny is that teams have to respect his jumpshot now. they play up on tony and he drives right past.

Spurminator
02-02-2006, 02:39 PM
2005-2006 eFG% on Jump shots: .401
2004-2005 eFG% on Jump shots: .405

http://www.82games.com

Believe it or not, it's actually digressed slightly compared to last year, percentagewise. What has improved is his decision making... 58% of his shots last year were jumpers compared to 50% this year.