PDA

View Full Version : Michael Finley Sucks.

SequSpur
02-03-2006, 12:38 AM
:pctoss

drazo
02-03-2006, 12:40 AM
i hate him he cant make a shot
spurs wont get any help from him

SequSpur
02-03-2006, 12:42 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34101

Do you not understand English?

koopa
02-03-2006, 12:42 AM
at least he ain't a punk b!tch and shys away from wide open shots like brent barry, finley is in a little slump right now, he'll get through it and you'll be loving him in the playoffs

SoCalSpursFan
02-03-2006, 12:50 AM
*earmuffs*

koopa
02-03-2006, 12:55 AM
yeah i'm sure he wants to watch someone else win, smh at that stupid shit

Walton Buys Off Me
02-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Please get rid of this guy- Finley that is, not Sequ

Banks91
02-03-2006, 01:00 AM
dude, if there's one player that needs a bashing, it definitely wouldn't be Finley.
He ain't the leader, the one making the big bucks to lead this team.

Shouldn't be bashing anybody, but if ya'll are, it starts at the head, with Duncan

TDMVPDPOY
02-03-2006, 01:04 AM
finley is even worster then toine walker

ZStomp
02-03-2006, 01:08 AM
:depressed

Leetonidas
02-03-2006, 01:13 AM

Finley doesn't shimmy.

Mr. Body
02-03-2006, 01:16 AM
I, for one, am surprised Finley's struggled this much.

Peter
02-03-2006, 01:19 AM
I'm glad the Spurs don't have a Devin Brown on the bench to go to.

Tek_XX
02-03-2006, 01:20 AM
It's amazing, he's regressing. And i disagree, he has passed up wide open shots. What is it about the Spurs that they turn great shooters into passive scrubs?

leemajors
02-03-2006, 01:21 AM
yeah you know what a great shooter devin was.

Peter
02-03-2006, 01:21 AM
It's amazing, he's regressing. And i disagree, he has passed up wide open shots. What is it about the Spurs that they turn great shooters into passive scrubs?

The man subverts his will to the system.

Peter
02-03-2006, 01:23 AM
yeah you know what a great shooter devin was.

He never looked that bad in SA. He actually shot the rock rather well as a Spur.

TDMVPDPOY
02-03-2006, 01:23 AM
i say we leave finley on the bench for the rest of season campaign and let him have hsi ring and trade him.

Tek_XX
02-03-2006, 01:32 AM
The man subverts his will to the system.

Well whatever he's doing it's not working for him and in turn the Spurs.

boutons_
02-03-2006, 01:32 AM
"finley is in a little slump right now"

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/michael_finley/game_by_game_stats.html

13 - 50 since 20 Jan. 26%

timvp
02-03-2006, 01:33 AM
Finley is what he is -- a streak shooter who is always going to try hard.

Peter
02-03-2006, 01:33 AM
Well whatever he's doing it's not working for him and in turn the Spurs.

It just might not be his role.

Tek_XX
02-03-2006, 01:35 AM

Finley is a streak shooter? uhh maybe with the Spurs.

GoSpurs21
02-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Finley is what he is -- a streak shooter who is always going to try hard.but still sucks in SA system compared to local hero Devin Brown.

Hey NBA expert TiMVP where the fuck are your boys NVE and Fin? injuried and washed up that where. I said it before in the preseason Devin Brown (I dont give a shit what he's done under Sloan) is better than either one of those players. But you want to live in past tense fantasy land. Be my guest, but Devin is still better than either one of those old washed up players. I just hope (and I really hope they prove me wrong) that NVE and Fin actually show up in the playoffs.

Solid D
02-03-2006, 01:38 AM
6 days to recalibrate.

timvp
02-03-2006, 01:40 AM
but still sucks in SA system compared to local hero Devin Brown.

Hey NBA expert TiMVP where the fuck are your boys NVE and Fin? injuried and washed up that where. I said it before in the preseason Devin Brown (I dont give a shit what he's done under Sloan) is better than either one of those players. But you want to live in past tense fantasy land. Be my guest, but Devin is still better than either one of those old washed up players. I just hope (and I really hope they prove me wrong) that NVE and Fin actually show up in the playoffs.

WHAT THE HELL?

Do you know who I am?

I'm the original Devin Brown pimp. I bitched up a storm and almost strangled Holt myself when the Spurs let him go. Where were you?

I was Devin Brown's number one advocate and I was all over signing him over Finley.

Get ya story straight bro.

timvp
02-03-2006, 01:40 AM
Oh and NVE will come up big in the playoffs ... book it. I'm all for Beno getting regular season run and glory.

SequSpur
02-03-2006, 01:42 AM
I love it, Spurs are kicking ass beating teams left and right, leading the conference and there is still reason to complain.....

NBA is fantastic...

:lol

Peter
02-03-2006, 01:43 AM
Remember when a 5th swing was deemed a luxury in this forum?

SequSpur
02-03-2006, 01:45 AM
All Devin Brown has to do is show up to a game with a head band on and then state publicly after him and Sloan get into it that the Jazz are a bunch of racists, fuck them... file a multimillion dollar lawsuit and then get waived and sign with the Spurs....

Pretty simple.

Tek_XX
02-03-2006, 01:48 AM
I love it, Spurs are kicking ass beating teams left and right, leading the conference and there is still reason to complain.....

NBA is fantastic...

Are you pleased with the way the Spurs are playing? THe 37-10 mark won't win us a championship. People are complaing becuase the way the Spurs are playing we don't have a chance at a championship. There's time left but we want our spurs to get better.

Bruno
02-03-2006, 01:49 AM
Remember when a 5th swing was deemed a luxury in this forum?
I see any reason to have a 5th swing when the 4th swing (Barry) play 6 minutes.

timvp
02-03-2006, 01:49 AM
All Devin Brown has to do is show up to a game with a head band on and then state publicly after him and Sloan get into it that the Jazz are a bunch of racists, fuck them... file a multimillion dollar lawsuit and then get waived and sign with the Spurs....

Pretty simple.

Either that or have the Jazz not take the team option and have him return home next year.

Peter
02-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Brown was just about perfect when it came to being the 1st bench swing in the Spurs' rotation. Oh well, the best laid plans of Holt and Cat.

SequSpur
02-03-2006, 01:51 AM
Are you pleased with the way the Spurs are playing? THe 37-10 mark won't win us a championship. People are complaing becuase the way the Spurs are playing we don't have a chance at a championship. There's time left but we want our spurs to get better.

If Pop would let PJ instill some college guard skills in our backcourt, the Spurs would be unstoppable.

Defensively, they are still there.

They need to improve on their rebounding.

But offensively, they make it hard on themselves, because they stand around watching. If they would watch some Dallas, Phoenix, John Stockton, Magic Johnson Offensive Skills 101 tapes, they would be undefeated. One or two screens would open the lanes up for wide open dunks and jumpers.

Also this team needs to decide who is the man in the final two minutes... It looks like Duncan is starting to defer and I don't think he is ready to go Robinsonesque just yet.

Tek_XX
02-03-2006, 01:51 AM
but still Finley>Brown, when he's shooting well.

Peter
02-03-2006, 01:52 AM
I see any reason to have a 5th swing when the 4th swing (Barry) play 6 minutes.

It's so you can go to someone else if need be. It's also to not lose talent in the 1st place. Now the team is stuck with two struggling old guards as their 3rd and 4th and they're worried about signing a CBA player to a 10 day contract to be their 5th because of the added expense. This is absurd. If the team is in that dire of straits ownership should sell immediately.

mavsfan1000
02-03-2006, 01:52 AM
I could've told you this. :lol

milkyway21
02-03-2006, 01:53 AM
:pctossI'd like to hear what you think of Rasho right now Sequ.

shld Pops trade him for another big man?

P.S.
call me dumb but I'm not giving up on Mike Finley yet. He'd get out of this slump before the regular ends. :angel .

SequSpur
02-03-2006, 01:54 AM
The Spurs just need a shooter. Someone like Jaren Jackson. Just fukin hang out and knock them down. Damn, sign another white dude or something.

SequSpur
02-03-2006, 01:55 AM
I'd like to hear what you think of Rasho right now Sequ.
shld Pops trade him for another big man?
P.S.
call me dumb but I'm not giving up on Mike Finley yet. He'd get out of this slump before the regular ends. :angel .

ummm.... one game doesn't wipe away a career of shittiness.

milkyway21
02-03-2006, 01:59 AM
The Spurs just need a shooter. Someone like Jaren Jackson. Just fukin hang out and knock them down. Damn, sign another white dude or something.

Jaren Jackson? I thought many of the fans here thought the Spurs overpaid him after he got his fat contract few yrs back....okay just give me A NAME. Who?

BTW, let's not worry much about Mike, anyway it's Mark Cuban who is paying most of his salary .. :lmao

SequSpur
02-03-2006, 02:01 AM
There is a statue of Jaren Jackson where the Forum used to be.... Go check it out.

milkyway21
02-03-2006, 02:02 AM
There is a statue of Jaren Jackson where the Forum used to be.... Go check it out.okay, whatever you say.

Bruno
02-03-2006, 02:06 AM
It's so you can go to someone else if need be. It's also to not lose talent in the 1st place. Now the team is stuck with two struggling old guards as their 3rd and 4th and they're worried about signing a CBA player to a 10 day contract to be their 5th because of the added expense. This is absurd. If the team is in that dire of straits ownership should sell immediately.

They haven't signed Sanders because they don't need him for this game. What's the interest of spending money for a player that won't play.

And for Devin, Finley is more expensive and Devin as 5th swingman is absurd, you don't spend $5M for an inactive list guy.

Peter
02-03-2006, 02:17 AM
The Spurs have paid players more to go away. Oh well, have fun cheering on the non-absurd when it flames out in the postseason.

T Park
02-03-2006, 02:19 AM
SELL IMMEDIATELY!!!

TOOOO

who?

STFU already with the ownership bashing.

Melvin Sanders isn't worth crying about good god.

Someone like Jaren Jackson

I would take Shane Heal, before I took Jaren Jackson.

That CBA stiff had 1 good game in the playoffs, and you treat him like a god.

timvp
02-03-2006, 02:24 AM
That CBA stiff had 1 good game in the playoffs, and you treat him like a god.

Uh Jaren Jackson had a lot more than one good game in the '99 playoffs.

Bruno
02-03-2006, 02:24 AM
The Spurs have paid players more to go away. Oh well, have fun cheering on the non-absurd when it flames out in the postseason.

These players have guranteed contracts, Devin was an RFA : that's the difference.
And for your postseason comment : Devin or your 5th swingman has no link with the playoff since he won't belong to the active roster.

Have fun hating, guy.

T Park
02-03-2006, 02:28 AM
Uh Jaren Jackson had a lot more than one good game in the '99 playoffs.

pardon me.

games 3 and 4 vs LA.

Other than that?

Zippo vs Minny.

Mediocre vs Portland.

NY Elie got all the minutes in the finals.

mavsfan1000
02-03-2006, 02:30 AM
Michael Finley was once a good player but now he is done. Occasionally he will have a great game followed by 3 poor performances.

Peter
02-03-2006, 02:31 AM
These players have guranteed contracts, Devin was an RFA : that's the difference.

Some difference. Lost talent doesn't help.

And for your postseason comment : Devin or your 5th swingman has no link with the playoff since he won't belong to the active roster.

Have fun hating, guy.

That's assuming the Spurs would keep Beno on the playoff roster, guy.

SequSpur
02-03-2006, 02:33 AM
pardon me.
games 3 and 4 vs LA.
Other than that?
Zippo vs Minny.
Mediocre vs Portland.
NY Elie got all the minutes in the finals.

http://www.geocities.com/miller_reggie05/capt_pacers_spurs_jackson.jpg

T Park
02-03-2006, 02:35 AM
?

point?

Guy made a few shots for 2 weeks and parlayed that into a Penny Hardaway like overpayment, where he got fat, grew his hair out, and got cut.

Big whoop.

Bruno
02-03-2006, 02:36 AM
That's assuming the Spurs would keep Beno on the playoff roster, guy.

Great idea to cut Beno from the playoff roster.
Nick "bad elbow" Van Exel as only backup PG.

T Park
02-03-2006, 02:36 AM
Michael Finley was once a good player but now he is done. Occasionally he will have a great game followed by 3 poor performances.

lol

typical bitter Maverick fan.

If he was still there

"Hey Fin still has gas left in the tank!!!!"

Ill take 1 michael Finley
over 50 Desegana Diops.

SequSpur
02-03-2006, 02:37 AM
?
point?
Guy made a few shots for 2 weeks and parlayed that into a Penny Hardaway like overpayment, where he got fat, grew his hair out, and got cut.
Big whoop.

The point is he was a "key" member of the "FIRST" NBA Ring that the Spurs won.

Hater.

T Park
02-03-2006, 02:37 AM

If today was a playoff game,

Van Exel would have played and dropped 11 points down without even blinking.

Can't wait for the playoffs to start so these morons that are hating will be the first to scream

X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T Park
02-03-2006, 02:39 AM
The point is he was a "key" member of the "FIRST" NBA Ring that the Spurs won.

Hater

The guy had a a good week in his career.

He didn't do shit the year before against Utah or Phoenix.

A CBA player who made a couple shots in a strike shortened season.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Bruno
02-03-2006, 02:42 AM
If today was a playoff game,

Van Exel would have played and dropped 11 points down without even blinking.

Can't wait for the playoffs to start so these morons that are hating will be the first to scream

X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not hate.
NVE has troubles with his elbow and it's a risk to have only him as backup PG.
I think too that he will be great during the playoff.

T Park
02-03-2006, 02:43 AM
NVE has troubles with his elbow and it's a risk to have only him as backup PG

The whole elbow thing right now is wink wink nudge nudge say no more.

He will be healed miraculously for Toronto on wednesday.

Savin him and Robert for April.

That simple.

timvp
02-03-2006, 02:44 AM
There is a statue of Jaren Jackson where the Forum used to be.... Go check it out.

http://www.spurstalk.com/magigstat.jpg

:hat

mavsfan1000
02-03-2006, 02:44 AM
lol

typical bitter Maverick fan.

If he was still there

"Hey Fin still has gas left in the tank!!!!"

Ill take 1 michael Finley
over 50 Desegana Diops.
Well I guess it won't matter considering the spurs have tons of other players to make up for Finley's mistakes. Finley is a non factor.

SequSpur
02-03-2006, 02:45 AM

T Park
02-03-2006, 02:47 AM
Beno Udrih > Jaren Jackson

Manure Ginobili >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jaren Jackson

Peter
02-03-2006, 02:49 AM
Great idea to cut Beno from the playoff roster.

Then they let Manu or Barry bring it up because Beno can't handle the pressure.

SequSpur
02-03-2006, 02:50 AM

That's a classic pic........ Great Job!

T Park
02-03-2006, 02:50 AM
Beno just turned the ball over on the plane.

Two flight attendents just walked up to him at the same time.

Lindsey Hunter flashback I guess.

Bruno
02-03-2006, 02:58 AM
Then they let Manu or Barry bring it up because Beno can't handle the pressure.

Beno was a rookie last year.
I rather have Beno than Devin as 12th active player for the playoff.
I don't see too the interest of using aliases. What's the purpose ?

milkyway21
02-03-2006, 03:06 AM
Then they let Manu or Barry bring it up because Beno can't handle the pressure.i think Beno is doing alright. had 5 or 6 assists last night in limited minutes.

mavsfan1000
02-03-2006, 03:13 AM
Beno does fine under pressure now. This thread is about Finley sucking and I can't disagree with that. Beno though I think can be effective if given a chance.

Peter
02-03-2006, 03:29 AM
Besides Beno's postseason shakiness, it's not as though the Spurs need a point to run their offense. I'd take Brown over Beno in the playoffs straight up.

TDMVPDPOY
02-03-2006, 03:36 AM
u talkin about devin brown the guy who turned over the ball to tmac to score his 13in 35secs the last play?? fuck him i was glad he isnt on the spurs team

milkyway21
02-03-2006, 03:48 AM

:hat :eyebrows what IS this

:rollin

Obstructed_View
02-03-2006, 03:54 AM
How great would it be if Barry kept pulling the trigger like Finley did? I'd take that any day. It's nice to see the Spurs win when the shots aren't falling. That's a game they lose a month ago.

smeagol
02-03-2006, 04:57 AM
So now Finley sick, eh Sequ?

A couple of weeks ago you said he was better than Manu.

You make no sense, as usual.

Walton: getting rid of Sequ is not such a bad idea.

Vashner
02-03-2006, 06:01 AM
He's a good player.

But I didn't want him on Spurz. Pop can make it work... he's getting better.

TDMVPDPOY
02-03-2006, 06:05 AM
it be better if fuckn barry attempt his shots like sean marks or even jaren jackson.

FoxMulder
02-03-2006, 08:29 AM
Finley was a great player ... put him with Horry to learn how to play as a great reserve... and he will be one of the most useful players in the team

leemajors
02-03-2006, 09:12 AM
i don't get pop's infatuation with the 2 pg lineup, i would rather have barry in there with parker/manu/duncan/other big, he can pass better than the 2nd pg.

Que Gee
02-03-2006, 09:22 AM

Your classic Timvp, absolutely classic.....hahahahah.

SenorSpur
02-03-2006, 09:33 AM
I've said it before the Spurs signed him and I'll say it again, Finley is a one-dimensional, "one-trick pony". If he's not scoring, you often forget he's on the floor. He's not a clutch shooter, he doesn't pass the ball well and he very rarely drives to the hoop. His careless passes and costly turnovers are excruciating to watch.

What Spurs fans are bitching about now are the same things Mavs fans have been bitching about the past several seasons. While it may be a surprise to some, it shouldn't be a surprise to Spurs coaches. It's the reason his contract value vs his contributions came into question and later made him expendable.

I just hope the Spurs have enough talent to overcome his inconsistency and that he doesn't hurt us down the road.

sa_butta
02-03-2006, 09:37 AM
it be better if fuckn barry attempt his shots like sean marks or even jaren jackson.Barry only played six minutes with no attempted shots, but given the chance I think Barry could have done better than Finley last night. Finley struggled against the Heat and Barry came in a provided some some fire. I would have liked to see more Barry last night, since the rim was once again unkind to Finley.

SenorSpur
02-03-2006, 09:41 AM
As someone mentioned before, we know that Barry can hit shots in the playoffs. I hope Barry remembers that and has the confidence when the time comes. As for Finley, he's been bricking shots in the playoffs on a regular basis the past several seasons. In no way, is this dude CLUTCH.

sa_butta
02-03-2006, 09:47 AM
As someone mentioned before, we know that Barry can hit shots in the playoffs. I hope Barry remembers that and has the confidence when the time comes. As for Finley, he's been bricking shots in the playoffs on a regular basis the past several seasons. In no way, is this dude CLUTCH.At this point I am more confident in Barry than Finley, I think Barry must find this confidence within himself. But he must get some PT to get him that confidence before the playoffs. If given the time I think his shots will fall, and his play could be vital come playoff time.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Poor Mike. He's done better than I thought he would, largely because I had fears that he'd really suck ass this year. He's had a few good games, but he has yet to really live up to all the hype that surrounded that signing. I wouldn't mind seeing more minutes for Brent, but with the better part of a week off I hold out hope that Finley will find his shot over the break.

I imagine he'll have a big game at some point on the road trip and there will be people falling all over themselves to get to their computer to be the first to post "This is why I wanted to sign Finley."

Solid D
02-03-2006, 10:02 AM
T Park, I don't really care to get in the middle of this debate about Jaren Jackson, but the whole championship season, and even before that, Jaren's strength was defense. That's why he got playing time. He was a tough on-ball defender. He developed into a great role-player as a perimeter scorer in the hub and spoke offense in 98-99.

leemajors
02-03-2006, 10:22 AM
i just think barry brings good things besides shooting on the offensive end. people seem to move the ball around better when he is in the game - he seems to understand our offense works best when it's inside-out.

sa_butta
02-03-2006, 10:26 AM
i just think barry brings good things besides shooting on the offensive end. people seem to move the ball around better when he is in the game - he seems to understand our offense works best when it's inside-out.You are absolutely right, people forget how great of a passer he is as well. He ran some PG when he was in Seattle, the guy has great court vision. Plus I think he opens up the floor more than Finley. Im sure other teams are more worried about Barry hitting a 3 than Finley. The way Finley has been shooting they will probably give him an open shot.

Title5
02-03-2006, 10:31 AM
You are absolutely right, people forget how great of a passer he is as well. He ran some PG when he was in Seattle, the guy has great court vision. Plus I think he opens up the floor more than Finley. Im sure other teams are more worried about Barry hitting a 3 than Finley. The way Finley has been shooting they will probably give him an open shot.

Absolutely. And Barry did hit many key shots in last years Finals.

nkdlunch
02-03-2006, 10:48 AM
I actually didn't want him to sign with Spurs. He is a player who needs many many shots and it ain't gonna happen w/Spurs. Worst signing since Vanexel

SenorSpur
02-03-2006, 11:01 AM
I actually didn't want him to sign with Spurs. He is a player who needs many many shots and it ain't gonna happen w/Spurs. Worst signing since Vanexel

EXACTLY! To think the Spurs allowed players like Maurice Evans and James Jones to get away in order to sign this guy.

I really believe the Spurs fell in love with the Finley from 4 to 5 years ago. Clearly if they had done their homework, they would have realized saw his limitations and his inconsistency.

Que Gee
02-03-2006, 11:19 AM
I really believe the Spurs fell in love with the Finley from 4 to 5 years ago. Clearly if they had done their homework, they would have realized saw his limitations and his inconsistency.

I could say the same for half the people on this board as well.

leemajors
02-03-2006, 11:37 AM
he's cold right now, doesn't mean he'll stay that way.

judaspriestess
02-03-2006, 12:43 PM
gimme a break, Doug Collins said it best, he's used to shooting a whole heck of a lot and now his role has changed and he has to ease into taking fewer shots. this is just stupid. Do any of you just ease into a new job if you took one?

Spurs have the same fucking record as they did last year at this time :rolleyes

Phonzie20
02-03-2006, 12:49 PM
He should have signed with Denver like he was supposed to do.

Karma owns!

boutons_
02-03-2006, 01:04 PM
"Spurs have the same fucking record as they did last year at this time"

Great. An 06 Finals between the 05 Spurs and the 06 Spurs would go 7 games.

If only the 06 Spurs were not playing the 06 Pistons.

cheguevara
02-03-2006, 03:15 PM
The only reason Spurs got him was to keep him away from Pistons/Heat. They should bury his ass on the bench, he's this year's big dog

ALVAREZ6
02-03-2006, 05:17 PM
at least he ain't a punk b!tch and shys away from wide open shots like brent barry, finley is in a little slump right now, he'll get through it and you'll be loving him in the playoffs
:wtf
WTF?

Shying away from open shots is not being a punk bitch, it's being smart...I thought that was the whole point of the sport, working as a team to get a good shot, insteand of forced, trashy shit.

ALVAREZ6
02-03-2006, 05:19 PM
I wish we signed D-Brown.

Devin is the man, he played good for the Spurs, and he understood that you don't just come into a game and start jacking shit up.

boutons_
02-03-2006, 05:31 PM
look at Michael's career stats, he's nothing but a scorer, a SG.

If he doesn' score, he needs to replaced on the floor by somebody who scores.

Bruno
02-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Finley is cold for since the Bucks game but he is a good player and he has made a quite good season so far if you consider that he is with a new team and that he plays a new role. He is still way better than Devin Brown.

SenorSpur
02-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Finley is cold for since the Bucks game but he is a good player and he has made a quite good season so far if you consider that he is with a new team and that he plays a new role. He is still way better than Devin Brown.

I might be inclined to buy into this, except for one thing. The fact that I've watched Finley brick jumpers game after game, situation after situation, during his final few seasons with the Mavs.

I have a few friends who are HUGE Mavs fans and they all warned me about this very thing. In fact, we all sound about as frustrated with this guy as they did.

Face it folks. This is all we can expect going forward. One good game following by a bunch of mediocre to "below average" games.

Need some examples? Anyone remember his performance in the Mavs' conference semifinal matchup with Phoenix? In fact, does anyone remember him at all during the Mavs series with Houston? He had one breakout game (26 points) and the rest were subpar performances. How about his stunning 1-11 FG shooting performance during the series-clinching Game 5 of the 2001 conference semifinals versus the Spurs?

It's time we stop making excuses for this guy. He is what he is. A "perimeter-only" guy who doesn't drive the ball to the basket, doesn't draw fouls (a great FT shooter), or make his teammates better. I'll give him credit in that he is at least trying to be a better defender than during his Mavs tenure.

It pains me to say this because I actually like the guy. However, unless Finley is hitting his jumper - he's useless to this team.

Bruno
02-03-2006, 08:09 PM
I might be inclined to buy into this, except for one thing. The fact that I've watched Finley brick jumpers game after game, situation after situation, during his final few seasons with the Mavs.

I have a few friends who are HUGE Mavs fans and they all warned me about this very thing. In fact, we all sound about as frustrated with this guy as they did.

I'm not frustrated or disapointed with Finley so far.
I can understand that Mavs fans were frustrated but you should consider that with mavs Finley was a member of their big three with Nash and Dirk paid $15M and that he is a bench player with Spurs paid $2M a year.
If you have the same expectations than mavs fans, it's normal that you are frustrated.

Face it folks. This is all we can expect going forward. One good game following by a bunch of mediocre to "below average" games.

Need some examples? Anyone remember his performance in the Mavs' conference semifinal matchup with Phoenix? In fact, does anyone remember him at all during the Mavs series with Houston? He had one breakout game (26 points) and the rest were subpar performances. How about his stunning 1-11 FG shooting performance during the series-clinching Game 5 of the 2001 conference semifinals versus the Spurs?

Jumpshooters are way less consistent than penetrators/post-players.
That's a reason why building a team around a guy like Duncan is easier than building a team around Dirk.
Barry was inconsistant last year during the playoff, Horry was 2-38 from 3PT line with Lakers in 03... : it's difficult to be consistent for a jumpshooter.
Mavs relied on Finley to score. Finley will be a spark from the bench with Spurs, sometimes it works, sometimes not, but the team doesn't rely on that.
Finley's inconsistency won't be as problematic with Spurs than with Mavs.

It's time we stop making excuses for this guy. He is what he is. A "perimeter-only" guy who doesn't drive the ball to the basket, doesn't draw fouls (a great FT shooter), or make his teammates better. I'll give him credit in that he is at least trying to be a better defender than during his Mavs tenure.

It pains me to say this because I actually like the guy. However, unless Finley is hitting his jumper - he's useless to this team.

Agree, Finley is a "perimeter-only" player. However, it's exactly what we need when our scoring options are penetrators (TP and Manu) and post player (Duncan). Finley isn't a great playmaker but he spreads the offense with his jumpshot and it opens the paint for our penetrators. (Remember the Lakers serie in 03 when we hadn't a quality jumpshooter : ugly)

Sometimes Finley will be useless but we badly need a good jumpshooter for the playoff : Finley is one of the best and he will have way more open shoots than with Mavs.

GO SPurs Go
02-03-2006, 08:13 PM
You fucking idiot he rescued us when manu was injured and he saved the clippers game for us after caveman made that shot. And who did we lose to get him? Devin Brown. Michael Finely plays better in SA than Brown plays in Utah.

TDMVPDPOY
02-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Why did finley stop penetrating into tha lane for a dunk or layup, at least draw some fouls damn it.

mavsfan1000
02-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Jumpshooters are way less consistent than penetrators/post-players.
That's a reason why building a team around a guy like Duncan is easier than building a team around Dirk.

Haha. You just put different type of players around Dirk. Putting more slashers and good defensive players around Dirk is the key rather than jump shooters. Duncan is the opposite where you want more good jump shooters. Finley was made better by Nash but since Nash left he hasn't been the same. Maybe a pure point guard is what it takes to get Finley going.

Bruno
02-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Haha. You just put different type of players around Dirk. Putting more slashers and good defensive players around Dirk is the key rather than jump shooters. Duncan is the opposite where you want more good jump shooters. Finley was made better by Nash but since Nash left he hasn't been the same. Maybe a pure point guard is what it takes to get Finley going.

Haha. Dirk : only one WCF and Mavs haven't any reliable scoring option behind Dirk. (Howard isn't good enough and Harris, Terry, Stackhouse are streaky)
It's not so easy to build around a shooter like Dirk who doesn't play defense and isn't a post-player.
The more dominant Duncan will be in the playoff the better Finley will be. Finley will be make better by Duncan.

Anyway, you can say what you want to that : I won't argue with you.
The more you post here the more you troll.
You was a quality poster few times ago and I don't know what happened but your post are now just stupid trolling.

Bruno
02-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Why did finley stop penetrating into tha lane for a dunk or layup, at least draw some fouls damn it.

Maybe because Manu and Tony did it way better than him.

mavsfan1000
02-03-2006, 10:24 PM
Haha. Dirk : only one WCF and Mavs haven't any reliable scoring option behind Dirk. (Howard isn't good enough and Harris, Terry, Stackhouse are streaky)
It's not so easy to build around a shooter like Dirk who doesn't play defense and isn't a post-player.
The more dominant Duncan will be in the playoff the better Finley will be. Finley will be make better by Duncan.

Anyway, you can say what you want to that : I won't argue with you.
The more you post here the more you troll.
You was a quality poster few times ago and I don't know what happened but your post are now just stupid trolling.

I am not fucking trolling. I was just comparing Duncan's game to Dirk's and how you build around your star player. They are totally different type of players. Dirk is more of an outside player so you want players that are good in the inside. Duncan is really good in the post so you want more players that can shoot from outside. Yes Duncan is better defensively but bringing out a big man on defense like Dirk does makes it easier for slashers like Josh Howard to go to work in the interior.

milkyway21
02-03-2006, 11:32 PM
They are totally different type of players. Dirk is more of an outside player so you want players that are good in the inside. Duncan is really good in the post so you want more players that can shoot from outside. one good reason for bringing Finley into the Spurs rotation-if Manu is injured, bec. he can shot from the outside do some 3s.

that's why Finley failed playing alongside Dirk, total lack of power in the middle-Dork, excuse me, Dirk is more of an outside shooter, a jumpshooter and Mike too. So, who's going to man in the low post area? Dampier? :D -> he'll get eaten by big men such as Duncan, KG, Big Ben and ShaQ.

Obstructed_View
02-03-2006, 11:46 PM
:wtf
WTF?

Shying away from open shots is not being a punk bitch, it's being smart...I thought that was the whole point of the sport, working as a team to get a good shot, insteand of forced, trashy shit.
When is a wide open shot not a good shot? Barry is supposed to shoot wide open shots. It's his job. It's why he's here. Shying away from them is being a punk bitch, and not taking them leads to forced shots at the end of the shot clock.

mavsfan1000
02-03-2006, 11:53 PM
one good reason for bringing Finley into the Spurs rotation-if Manu is injured, bec. he can shot from the outside do some 3s.

that's why Finley failed playing alongside Dirk, total lack of power in the middle-Dork, excuse me, Dirk is more of an outside shooter, a jumpshooter and Mike too. So, who's going to man in the low post area? Dampier? :D -> he'll get eaten by big men such as Duncan, KG, Big Ben and ShaQ.

Finley wasn't making shots was another reason Dallas got rid of him. Yes he wasn't a perfect fit in Dallas but he should still be able to make big shots. Josh Howard was the slasher that Dallas desperately needed. As for Duncan he is a player you build an inside out type with. Bowen, Manu, Finley, and Horry are players that fit this. You still want players that can attack off the pick and roll with Duncan to go towards the basket like Parker. I'm not here to say Dirk is better than Duncan but to talk about strategy on how to build a team around them.

milkyway21
02-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Finley wasn't making shots was another reason Dallas got rid of him. Yes he wasn't a perfect fit in Dallas but he should still be able to make big shots. Josh Howard was the slasher that Dallas desperately needed. As for Duncan he is a player you build an inside out type with. Bowen, Manu, Finley, and Horry are players that fit this. You still want players that can attack off the pick and roll with Duncan to go towards the basket like Parker. I'm not here to say Dirk is better than Duncan but to talk about strategy on how to build a team around them...at least we agree on the same thing...we are hoping he could bring consistent contributions on the table esp now that Manu and Horry are sometimes glued on the bench due to injuries. Finley is a proven 3p threat, good FT shooter that we lacked, and he is CHEAP(thanks to Mark Cuban).

mavsfan1000
02-04-2006, 12:19 AM
Well he really has proved alot for San Antonio so far. Dallas hasn't been the same since Finley left. 36-10

ShoogarBear
02-04-2006, 12:53 AM

:hatOh, shit. How did I miss this first time around?

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Solid D
02-04-2006, 01:10 AM
:lol It's an instant classic!

leemajors
02-04-2006, 02:19 AM
i thought the acquisition of dasani diop was the reason the mavs are 36-10. make up your mind...

mavsfan1000
02-04-2006, 02:31 AM
i thought the acquisition of dasani diop was the reason the mavs are 36-10. make up your mind...
It's the mix of Finley leaving and the acquisition of Diop. Also Avery having a full preseason to prepare this team for what he wants out of them which is defense.

Dre_7
02-04-2006, 04:56 AM
If Fin was still on the Mavs, odds are they would still be off to this great start. IMO its due more to Avery than not having Fin.

SequSpur
12-11-2006, 12:45 AM
IF the shoe fits.................

Axl Van Dam
12-11-2006, 01:04 AM
:downspin: At least Finley doesn't do the awful jig that Antoine Walker does. :downspin:

Axl Van Dam
12-11-2006, 01:06 AM
:reading Michael Finley will eventually get his form back and those jumpers will eventually find their way in the basket. :reading

Axl Van Dam
12-11-2006, 01:09 AM
dude, if there's one player that needs a bashing, it definitely wouldn't be Finley.
He ain't the leader, the one making the big bucks to lead this team.

Shouldn't be bashing anybody, but if ya'll are, it starts at the head, with Duncan
:wtf What's Timmy gotta do with this?

SenorSpur
12-11-2006, 03:53 AM
Looks like some in the Spurs community are finally starting to come around on the fact that many of us have been bitching about since Finley was acquired. He aint shit. Pop and R.C. may have thought they were "pulling a major coup" by adding this guy to the team, but look at the net result.

Why do you think the Mavs gave up on him in the first place? Because his salary didn't justify his production. For that matter, the minimal salary the Spurs are giving him doesn't justify his meager production - not for a guy with his "supposed" skills and experience.

I'm telling you all, this is all you're gonna get from him. Consistent inconsistency. The Spurs would be better off simply giving Fin's minutes to Barry and Williams.

MannyIsGod
12-11-2006, 06:10 AM
Looks like some in the Spurs community are finally starting to come around on the fact that many of us have been bitching about since Finley was acquired. He aint shit. Pop and R.C. may have thought they were "pulling a major coup" by adding this guy to the team, but look at the net result.

Why do you think the Mavs gave up on him in the first place? Because his salary didn't justify his production. For that matter, the minimal salary the Spurs are giving him doesn't justify his meager production - not for a guy with his "supposed" skills and experience.

I'm telling you all, this is all you're gonna get from him. Consistent inconsistency. The Spurs would be better off simply giving Fin's minutes to Barry and Williams.Finally starting to come around?

FINLEY KICKED ASS IN THE 2ND HALF OF LAST SEASON AND IN THE PLAYOFFS. WHAT THE FUCK DO SOME OF YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ABOUT THIS? A BAD MONTH DOES NOT MEAN YOU'RE DONE.

Fuck. Get back to me after the All Star break. I agree others need to play before him, but some people are so eager to say "I told you so" that they fail to realize the facts just aren't what they think they are.

boutons_
12-11-2006, 08:06 AM
He's not done, but we can't waste so many minutes on him when, as a pure scorer who brings few RB, defense, AST, he doesn't score.

The best place for him to fix his shooting problems is in practice, taking 1000s of shots, not in the games. I've never read an article from an aging athlete that said remaining competitive got easier with age, or even stayed the same.

When the Lakers shut down Tim and the paint and force the Spurs to be jump shooters, we have to make our jump shots.

All the Spurs actually shot very well, except Beno and Michael who were 2 - 14. That's 12 RBs most of which the Spurs dind't get. Spurs lost ORBs, 5 - 14.

Lakers shot better %age and took 16 more shots.

wildbill2u
12-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Living in Houston, I don't see many Spurs games, but caught the Hornets game on TNT the other night. Now I understand what many here are saying.

The guy's shooting was atrocious--not that he missed, but how far off the mark some of his shots were.

Maybe he needs an eye check up and contacts because there is something horribly wrong when a normally good shooter's trajectory is way off to one side of the hoop. We can talk about "slump" but this looks like a physical problem to me.

He's shooting 10 points below his career averages.

CAREER AVERAGES
Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
06-07 SAS 24 8 21.0 .341 .263 .889 0.3 2.4 2.7 0.7 0.2 0.2 0.58 1.00 7.0
Career 836 722 37.6 .446 .370 .810 1.2 3.6 4.8 3.4 1.1 0.3 1.75 1.90 17.8

Texas_Ranger
12-16-2006, 10:32 AM
Whatever.:dramaquee :sleep

bdictjames
12-16-2006, 12:00 PM
What bothers me most is he gets more minutes than Barry and Pop doesn't seem to bother

Mijaeb50
12-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Walker is one of the best additions the spurs have made in the last couple of years...he works hard and he is very exciting to watch

ShoogarBear
12-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Walker?

leemajors
12-16-2006, 11:17 PM
the lineup with finley at PF just scares me. not in a good way.