PDA

View Full Version : Pacers comeback to beat Pistons 80-75.

Pooh
12-20-2003, 04:02 AM
By Johnnie Clay - Pacers Insider.
December 20, 2003 - 1:30 a.m.

They say patience is a virtue. The Indiana Pacers proved that saying true tonight. Trailing most of the game, two unlikely Pacers, Jamison Brewer and Austin Croshere, propelled the Pacers to a dramatic come from behind victory over the Detroit Pistons 80-75 at Conseco Fieldhouse.

The first quarter saw the Pacers and Pistons trading off buckets, but that momentium didn't last long, particularly for the Pacers, who at times during the first half shot under 30%. The Pistons meanwhile, couldn't do anything wrong, shutting down the Pacers and shooting nearly 65% themselves, heading into halftime leading 44-33.

During halftime, the Pacers regrouped.

"The first half Detroit played great and we weren’t there defensively." Pacers Coach Rick Carlisle said. "At halftime the guys got together privately and talked about it. It didn’t look like our ball pressure was there and Detroit is a team that can make you look bad if your defense isn’t precise."

With Reggie Miller having a bad night and Kenny Anderson out with sore foot, Coach Carlisle looked for other ways to get the Pacers going. He looked over at his bench and put in Austin Croshere and Jamison Brewer.

The duo, along with Jermaine O'Neal and Ron Artest went to work on the Pistons, holding them to only 12 points in the third quarter as the Pacers closed the lead to nine points, 56-47 at then of the quarter.

The final quarter saw the Pacers not only take control of the game, but they manhandled the Pistons, outscoring them 33-19. Brewer's defense and Croshere's 12 points, (all in the fourth quarter) sent the Pacers on their way to victory.

"I know I always have to be ready in case coach calls my number." Jamison Brewer said upon being informed he would be starting the second half. "And yes, it did take me by surprise, starting the second. I think I bring to the team solid defense and that’s the best possible way I think I can contribute."

Croshere, whose slowly starting to show signs of the player he was back in 2000, told what was said in the locker room at halftime.

“At halftime, Jermaine called us in and said ‘hey, if we go down, let’s go down doing the things that we know how to do." Croshere said. "That was enough said. We knew what we had to do, we knew how to do what we had to do; so we took Jermaine’s warning and got the job done."

The Pacers attempted 20 more shots than the Pistons, (32-83) for 39% to (28-63) for 44%. But in the end, it came down to who wanted it more, and tonight it was the Pacers, who became the first team to reach 20 wins this season.

Ron Artest led the Pacers with 22 points and 9 rebounds. Jermaine O'Neal scored 19 points and 11 rebounds, but it was Artest's 7 of 8 from the free-throw line, that helped preserve a Pacer victory.

Coach Carlisle was proud of his teams' effort in the second half.

“Needless to say, I was really proud of our effort the second half." Carlisle said. I thought a big part of it was Jamison Brewer’s play at the start of the second half. He’s a guy that can bring tenacity and energy and boy did he ever. We like Anthony Johnson as a guy coming off the bench and finishing games because of his experience and savvy. Austin Croshere, what an asset for our team. It’s tough at times with match-ups figuring out who to play. But he’s making a strong case for himself."

The Pacers hop on a plane for another back-to-back game. Waiting for them will be the Minnesota Timberwolves, a team whom the Pacers defeated soundly 98-75 on November 25th, at Conseco Fieldhouse.

Gametime Saturday is at 9pm (EST)

pacersrule03
12-20-2003, 01:54 PM
Wooo what a game! I wish that Jamison Brewer played more. Every time he steps on the floor he knows he has to prove something and he does everytime. He was getting open shots for everyone on the floor and he was a spark plug for the pacers. Austin Croshere was on a roll also. He can play really well when he wants to. 2-0 against the Pistons :hat2

Pooh
12-20-2003, 09:32 PM
Yes it was a great win last night, they looked horrible in the first half, but whatever JO told them at the half, I hope it springs board them to a nice five or six game winning streak now to end the year.