PDA

View Full Version : Please confirm this for me

Supergirl
02-03-2006, 09:16 AM
I've posted this as a question twice now, but then the thread it was in got buried and I couldn't find it. Someone please confirm something for me:

AJ is already being listed as the West ASG coach, despite the Spurs having the better record all season. This must mean Pop coached last year - but I didn't think he did. Did he really coach last year's ASG?

leemajors
02-03-2006, 09:18 AM
yes

polandprzem
02-03-2006, 09:28 AM
shesh
What makes you super Supergirl?

NO

Phenomanul
02-03-2006, 09:36 AM
Figuratively speaking... No (Pop can't get into games where there is no defense being played)

Literally speaking... Yes (He was physically there.... at the bench)

spurster
02-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Pop was at last year's all-star game, but no coaching was detectable during the game.

SenorSpur
02-03-2006, 09:45 AM
I'm sure Pop is relieved that, despite having the best conference record, he doesn't have to coach.

On second thought, I'm sure he'd want to regulate Tim's minutes.

He'll probably have a few bottles of his favorite wine.

Supergirl
02-03-2006, 01:05 PM
It must be because ABC stopped covering the All Star Game. I just completely blanked out Spurs having the record to send Pop there last year.

On a related note, anyone else really pissed that the All Star Game is no longer on regular television?

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-03-2006, 01:08 PM
It must be because ABC stopped covering the All Star Game. I just completely blanked out Spurs having the record to send Pop there last year.

On a related note, anyone else really pissed that the All Star Game is no longer on regular television?

Not really, the production value of the TNT broadcasts are worth it.

Extra Stout
02-03-2006, 05:21 PM

The moving of games to cable seems to be a big issue for a lot of Spurs fans. The penetration of cable and satellite TV in South Texas must be pretty low compared to the rest of the country.

GO SPurs Go
02-03-2006, 05:23 PM

Damn, it isnt?

ALVAREZ6
02-03-2006, 05:25 PM

Are you sure???

I tought all that shit is still on ABC...you positive?

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-03-2006, 05:27 PM

Why would anyone care about the damn All-Star game? If you don't have cable, here's a simple replacement. Go to ESPN.com and download as many of their highlight reel dunks until you have 48 minutes worth of footage. And if you find yourself missing the intriguing in game commentary you can play the barking dogs version of "Jingle Bells" over the clips and you'll have a perfectly simulated All Star game watching experience.

Brutalis
02-03-2006, 05:30 PM
All Tim has to do is say, "No" to being subbed back in. It's not hard.

GO SPurs Go
02-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Why would anyone care about the damn All-Star game? If you don't have cable, he's a simple replacement. Go to ESPN.com and download as many of their highlight reel dunks until you have 48 minutes worth of footage. And if you find yourself missing the intriguing in game commentary you can play the barking dogs version of "Jingle Bells" over the clips and you'll have a perfectly simulated All Star game watching experience.
Easy for you to say, you have cable

DannyT
02-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Figuratively speaking... No (Pop can't get into games where there is no defense being played)

Literally speaking... Yes (He was physically there.... at the bench)

thats funny as SHHHHHHHHH!%

Darrin
02-04-2006, 09:35 PM
I've posted this as a question twice now, but then the thread it was in got buried and I couldn't find it. Someone please confirm something for me:

AJ is already being listed as the West ASG coach, despite the Spurs having the better record all season. This must mean Pop coached last year - but I didn't think he did. Did he really coach last year's ASG?

No one can coach the All-Star Game two years in a row in the same conference. For instance, in 1997, the Chicago Bulls had the best record in the East, but Phil Jackson had coached the 1996 squad, so it fell to the second-best record in the East, Detroit, and Doug Collins coached the squad.

Darrin
02-04-2006, 09:37 PM

If I didn't have cable, like for last year's Eastern Conference Finals, then yes. But the quality of production for TNT is much better than their broadcast counterparts on ABC and ESPN.

Darrin
02-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Are you sure???

I tought all that shit is still on ABC...you positive?

Where have you been? Since the 2002-03 season the All-Star Game has been on TNT. It was a selling point for their new contract because they are essentially advertising for a competitor by covering NBA games and not getting the NBA Finals.

exstatic
02-04-2006, 10:07 PM
No one can coach the All-Star Game two years in a row in the same conference. For instance, in 1997, the Chicago Bulls had the best record in the East, but Phil Jackson had coached the 1996 squad, so it fell to the second-best record in the East, Detroit, and Doug Collins coached the squad.
Actually, I think it's team related, not conferece. Someone said that Rick Carlisle coached successive years, first for Detroit, then for Indy the next year.

Darrin
02-04-2006, 11:46 PM
Actually, I think it's team related, not conferece. Someone said that Rick Carlisle coached successive years, first for Detroit, then for Indy the next year.

Carlisle never coached the All-Star Game for Detroit; Byron Scott (New Jersey) coached in 2002, Isiah Thomas (Indiana) coached for 2003. I remember because Thomas coaching Michael Jordan in his final All-Star Game started a floor of re-hashed "freeze-out" articles by the media.