PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff shoots unarmed Air Force Policeman

SA210
02-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Has anyone seen this yet? Video link on upper right hand of this web page.

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-chino,0,4869700.story

also another link.
http://www.katu.com/stories/82976.html

http://media.msnbc.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Sources/sourceAP.gif

Updated: 1:14 p.m. ET Feb. 1, 2006

CHINO, Calif. - A videotape released Tuesday shows a sheriff’s deputy shooting an unarmed Air Force policeman who recently returned from Iraq as he appeared to obey an order to get up off the ground.

KTLA-TV broadcast a 40-second clip it said came from a Chino resident who videotaped Sunday night’s shooting, which followed a 100 mph car chase.

Senior Airman Elio Carrion, 21, was listed in good condition at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton. He was shot three times in the chest, ribs and leg, his father-in-law, Ernesto Paz, told KTLA-TV.

State and federal investigators are reviewing the case, officials said.
Carrion was a passenger in a Corvette that crashed following a brief chase, authorities said.

Amateur photographer Jose Luis Valdez told The Associated Press that he made the video after the car crashed into the wall in front of his home. KTLA aired the videotape early Tuesday, then distributed it later in the day.

The dark, grainy picture shows Carrion lying on the ground next to the car, talking to a silhouetted officer who is pointing a gun at him. Carrion supports himself on one arm and his face is brightly lit by the officer’s flashlight.

'Get up'

Carrion is heard telling the officer he is unarmed and is in the military.At one point, a voice is heard saying several times: “Get up.”
Carrion says: “I’m gonna get up.” As he rises, at least four shots are fired and Carrion collapses, crying out in pain.
“Shots fired! Shots fired!” someone shouts.

In a telephone interview conducted in Spanish, Valdez said after the shooting, Carrion asks the deputy, “Why did you shoot me if you told me to stand up?” That alleged exchange cannot be heard on the video.

The deputy, whose name was not released, was placed on paid administrative leave, a routine procedure in officer-involved shootings.

Carrion was not charged with a crime, although the incident remained under investigation, according to sheriff’s spokeswoman Robin Haynal.

The driver of the Corvette, identified by authorities as Luis Fernando Escobedo, 21, was arrested for investigation of felony evading.

Carrion and Escobedo had left a party at the home of Carrion’s parents to drive to a store, said the airman’s wife, Mariela.

A woman who answered the telephone at the Montclair home of Carrion’s parents said they were headed to the hospital and nobody at the residence wanted to talk.

An Air Force spokesman, Lt. Frank Hartnett, said Carrion is a security officer at Barksdale Air Force Base in Shreveport, La. Carrion joined the Air Force in January 2003 and recently returned from a six-month tour in Iraq, Hartnett said.

Chino is about 40 miles east of Los Angeles.

© 2006 The Associated Press.

Mr. Peabody
02-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Damn, it looks like the cop was scared and asked him to get up, but panicked when he did.

Too much adrenaline coarsing through that cop's viens.

boutons_
02-03-2006, 11:34 AM
yes, it was all over CNN yesterday, talking heads, all the usual over-treated saturation

why didn't the sheriff use a fully automatic weapon on him? sheriff is a wimp.

SpursWoman
02-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Shot 3 times in the chest and in "good condition"? There must be some kind of little angel on his shoulder. :wow

SA210
02-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Intentional, I saw the rest of the video yesterday, after the sheriff shoots him after he told him to get up, from the agony, the man was crying and the sheriff was yelling at him to shut the F*** Up!!!

Didn't know the camera was rolling.

SA210
02-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Shot 3 times in the chest and in "good condition"? There must be some kind of little angel on his shoulder. :wow
3 times, one each in shoulder , leg and chest.

Oh, Gee!!
02-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Intentional, I saw the rest of the video yesterday, after the sheriff shoots him after he told him to get up, from the agony, the man was crying and the sheriff was yelling at him to shut the F*** Up!!!

Didn't know the camera was rolling.

what a pig.

JoeChalupa
02-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Yeah I saw this.
The Sheriff was practically standing on top of the young man.

Another tragic shooting.

SA210
02-03-2006, 11:54 AM
what a pig.
Let me ask you something. Why is it, that I have this strong feeling, that if no camera caught this, this story would have been that the man tried to attack the officer or became combative and the officer had to use deadly force? And that alot of people would have just labeled the military man as someone who seemed on the right track and defended our country, but took a bad turn somewhere for the worst, and would be serving jailtime. And how would his appeals look down the road?

This is important. How probable would it be that the story would be that if there was no evidence? I understand the dangers of being a cop and all, my brother is a Detective, but this is sick. Cold blooded.

SpursWoman
02-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Unfortunately, that's definitely not an improbable scenerio. Given my proclivity for pre-judgement, my suspicions would actually have been that somehow the sheriff was not on the up&up, though.

I think all law enforcement vehicles should have those cameras for instances such as these ... if anything, they make for some amusing Max X or whatever videos.

:fro

SA210
02-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Yea, it just makes me think about how much this might actually happen when there is no camera or witness and people are lead to believe otherwise.

Oh, Gee!!
02-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Let me ask you something. Why is it, that I have this strong feeling, that if no camera caught this, this story would have been that the man tried to attack the officer or became combative and the officer had to use deadly force? And that alot of people would have just labeled the military man as someone who seemed on the right track and defended our country, but took a bad turn somewhere for the worst, and would be serving jailtime. And how would his appeals look down the road?

This is important. How probable would it be that the story would be that if there was no evidence? I understand the dangers of being a cop and all, my brother is a Detective, but this is sick. Cold blooded.

Detectives are a lot more rational than patrol officers.

JoeChalupa
02-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Why didn't the officer just tell the man to lay down, spread his arms and legs out and cuff the guy?
Why ask him to get up then cap the guy?

SA210
02-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Exactly, the officer Did yell at him to stay down, but then yelled at him to get up. Confusing if your the man on the ground. Then he gets capped cold blooded for obeying orders.

Oh, Gee!!
02-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Exactly, the officer Did yell at him to stay down, but then yelled at him to get up. Confusing if your the man on the ground. Then he gets capped cold blooded for obeying orders.

So, if he shot the guy for obeying his command to get up, what would he have done if the airmen had stayed on the ground instead?

SA210
02-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Don't know. That's even scarier.

Oh, Gee!!
02-03-2006, 12:52 PM
I wonder if FWD thinks the airmen's rights were violated.

SA210
02-03-2006, 01:12 PM
No, because the officer only shot the airman at that place, at that time, in that particular manner. The airman's rights weren't absolute to get shot anywhere but at that place, time and manner.

E20
02-03-2006, 06:40 PM

Same could be said about Rambo.

Condolences to the Marine guy.

exstatic
02-03-2006, 08:11 PM
I'm sure he was a fucking terrorist. If he's not...well he might have been, and a few random shootings is nothing compared to our safety.

Nbadan
02-04-2006, 12:13 AM
which followed a 100 mph car chase.

This is another snippet that is tucked away in this story. A lot of returning Iraq troops get busted for doing +100, or close too. Traffic accidents are also sky-high for these guys. The auto Insurance industry probably classifies them in their own risky category.

Vashner
02-04-2006, 12:36 AM
It was his friend driving I think not him?

Anyways they should of pulled over. Don't piss off the police like that it just makes things worse.

Also a few Cali cops carry ball ammo instead of jacketed hollow points maybe this is why he lived? 4 shots like that and with a JHP the wound cavities would be huge. He got damn lucky.

Gerryatrics
02-04-2006, 01:18 AM
Carrion was a passenger in a Corvette that crashed following a brief chase, authorities said.

He wasn't the driver, and he wasn't exactly resisting or trying to evade police. He was face down on the ground and slowly started to get up when the Cop ordered him to. Unless there was something else that wasn't on the tape or none of the witnesses noticed, there was no excuse.

hussker
02-04-2006, 02:36 AM

He must have "Aimed High" and "Crossed into the Blue"

hussker
02-04-2006, 02:38 AM
By the way...I am a moderate person and believe nothing printed or even videotaped, but...looked like dude was cowering and submissive to me. I think that would give rights for Defenses to shoot David Carr from the Texans!

EdMcMahon
02-04-2006, 10:53 AM
You are correct sir!

hussker
02-04-2006, 12:29 PM
The part of this Story that got me was seeing Rodney King show up to wish him well (and get another 15 minutes)

Vashner
02-05-2006, 01:24 AM
I wish I had some balls

Hey wtf put fake word and quote my name. Very funny joto.

Nbadan
02-07-2006, 07:59 PM
This is exactly what I was posting about earlier concerning returning soldiers 'need for speed'...

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. -- More troops have died in off-duty motorcycle accidents since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, than have been killed in combat in Afghanistan over that same time, according to safety records.

Military commanders in North Carolina say the deaths are largely the result of boredom, bonus pay, and adrenalin to burn off after troops return from wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Nearly 350 troops have died on bikes since the 2001 terrorist attacks. That's compared to 259 killed while serving in Afghanistan.

Nearly 1,000 more troops have been injured on bikes.

<snip>

"Riders who have been in accidents have told us that it's the legal crack cocaine," said J.T. Coleman, a civilian spokesman for the Army's Combat Readiness Center in Fort Rucker, Ala., which tracks accidents among soldiers. "They say it gives them the same adrenaline rush they get driving their tank through Baghdad or whatever."

Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com/state/6-698126.html)

If your a passenger in a car going 100+ MPH, you might as well be driving.