PDA

View Full Version : Reported trade: Jalen Rose for Antonio Davis

ChumpDumper
02-03-2006, 04:04 PM
The New York Knicks have acquired Toronto Raptors guard/forward Jalen Rose and a first-round pick in exchange for power forward Antonio Davis, ESPN's Stephen A. Smith reports.

Davis was a likely target to be traded because of his expiring contract.

The Knicks have lost nine of their last 10 games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2317958

ChumpDumper
02-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Larry gets someone who can actually run an offense.

Now the big question is where Davis finally ends up.

ChumpDumper
02-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Could Penny for Ratliff be far behind?

Good job by Zeke getting a pick out of it.

ABDENOUR POWER
02-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Yet another unbelievably overpaid player for Isiah's Knicks.

Phenomanul
02-03-2006, 04:19 PM
The Knicks seem to get smaller after every trade.....

timvp
02-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Good job by Zeke getting a pick out of it.

Yep.

I wonder how protected it is.

leemajors
02-03-2006, 04:22 PM
you think he will start?

Stephen A. Smith
02-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Why is it that whenever a trade goes down everyone just wants to talk about what it means for the teams involved? Why can't you people stop for just a single second and say, "Thank you Stephen A. Smith for your Pulitzer quality investigative sports journalism."

GIVE ME MY PROPS, FOOLS!

Brutalis
02-03-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm sure the pick is protected. How does this help Toronto at all? Besides not paying his huge salary next year?

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-03-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm sure the pick is protected. How does this help Toronto at all? Besides not paying his huge salary next year?

Maybe it will help Toronto when we trade for Davis.

Isiah Thomas
02-03-2006, 05:39 PM
The Knicks seem to get smaller after every trade.....
That's all part of my master plan

Medvedenko
02-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Good move by the Raps since they clear off 17 million of the books...considering they want to retain Bosh, this gives them some leverage in signing new players...

Solid D
02-03-2006, 05:59 PM
The draft pick is a first-round pick from the Denver Nuggets, which the Raptors acquired in an earlier trade, the Toronto Star reports.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2317958

Darrin
02-03-2006, 06:09 PM
When's Marbury leaving?

xcoriate
02-03-2006, 07:47 PM
I like it for the Knicks as well, it was a financial moive for the Raps but the Knicks got Jalen Rose who has started to play well of late and a pick.

TDMVPDPOY
02-03-2006, 08:30 PM
I think the knicks are also targeting theo ratliff + patterson for lee+arizor and penny.

Taco
02-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Mrs Davis must be thrilled with the trade

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Jalen and Stephon could make a pretty good tandem.

baseline bum
02-03-2006, 08:57 PM
God, Isiah has wrecked that franchise. They're so desperate that they have to take on an extra $18 million in scrub-player salary just to get a draft pick that will likely be in the 18-22 range. I cannot believe Isiah hasn't been fired, blacklisted from the NBA, and shot after what he did to a once-proud organization.

Solid D
02-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Malik Rose Haiku

a Rose by any other

name isn't the same. :smokin

TDMVPDPOY
02-03-2006, 09:18 PM
God, Isiah has wrecked that franchise. They're so desperate that they have to take on an extra $18 million in scrub-player salary just to get a draft pick that will likely be in the 18-22 range. I cannot believe Isiah hasn't been fired, blacklisted from the NBA, and shot after what he did to a once-proud organization.

I think it doesnt bother the knicks since pennys contract comes off the books so its a -2mill imo.

ChumpDumper
02-03-2006, 10:30 PM
This is less a Zeke move and more a Larry Brown move. He has no faith in the current point guard choices.

ducks
02-03-2006, 10:45 PM
frye is the reason this went down

Darrin
02-03-2006, 11:17 PM
I like this trade for the Knicks in terms of the on-court results. A ball-handling three is going to be able to spread the floor and create mis-matches for the Knicks. Rose has spent time with both Jermaine O'Neal and Chris Bosh, so he should have no problem feeding the post to Eddy Curry and Channing Frye. The contract situation isn't even that bad because Rose only has one more year on his deal than Antonio Davis. Rose is going to be able to contribute more than Davis was anyway. Rose has previous relationships with both Isiah Thomas (back to his high school days when Thomas was a star for the Pistons) and Larry Brown (played from December to April of the 1996-97 season before Brown left for Philadelphia).

What I am curious to see is that Rose has had a lot of bad locker rooms follow him around, and that is either a coincidence or he's been the cause of that. AD, from most accounts, was a locker room stabilizer in Chicago and New York.

I am also curious to see how Rose is going to respond to Larry Brown. They famously did not get along after the trade that sent Mark Jackson to Denver. Rose was stuck behind Chris Mullin in the depth chart, and he thought he had earned a spot in the rotation. Miller tried to broker peace between the two, and came away from the situation feeling burned. Brown said in 2004, he was "still" ashamed by how he handled the last year in Indiana, a year the Pacers would not make the playoffs.

Also, as with all of Rose's teams, it will be interesting to see if he's used as a 1, 2, or 3. I believe he will start. The Knicks have had rebounding problems from the beginning and Davis wasn't helping in that area, so I don't see the Knicks as the losers here. Their hole is just as big as it ever was.

As for Davis, I believe this will be his last season, and it's only fitting he finish out his career in Toronto. They really need his cap space and leadership.

Darrin
02-03-2006, 11:21 PM
This is less a Zeke move and more a Larry Brown move. He has no faith in the current point guard choices.

I don't see that. Brown's coached Rose before and they did not get along at all. If this is an LB move, it's a head scratcher.

Meanwhile, Jalen Rose used to work out with the Pistons on the campus of Oakland University when Rose was a local high school star. It's rumored the reason that Thomas retired in 1994, although he had 2-3 good years left is that the Pistons were going to offer him the job Joe Dumars has now, and he was hoping to be able to draft Jalen Rose (Pistons took Grant Hill at the third pick, Rose was taken 13 by Denver). Thomas took Rose under his wing, and the majority of the reason that Rose did not join the Pistons after Grant Hill left in 2000 is that Isiah Thomas had just been named coach in Indiana.

They have a long history together, and it fits within the basketball nepotism and loyalty that Thomas has displayed over the years as GM. This is definitely an Isiah Thomas transaction.

ChumpDumper
02-03-2006, 11:42 PM
I think Zeke would've been content with the personnel he had at the time -- Brown doesn't think any of his current point guard crew can or will play the way he wants them to. I have to think that Brown would have to approve of getting Rose, and that if Brown was satisfied with his ball handlers and small forwards, this trade wouldn't have happened. In short, Brown's dissatisfaction is the impetus for this trade -- but he didn't have to twist Zeke's arm to get Rose.

Can we really think of a player Larry really got along with?

Darrin
02-03-2006, 11:49 PM
I think Zeke would've been content with the personnel he had at the time -- Brown doesn't think any of his current point guard crew can or will play the way he wants them to. I have to think that Brown would have to approve of getting Rose, and that if Brown was satisfied with his ball handlers and small forwards, this trade wouldn't have happened. In short, Brown's dissatisfaction is the impetus for this trade -- but he didn't have to twist Zeke's arm to get Rose.

Can we really think of a player Larry really got along with?

Rip Hamilton, Danny Manning, David Robinson, Eric Snow.

I take your point. If I had to name five, I'd have trouble.

Solid D
02-04-2006, 01:07 AM
Here is something from the transaction wire...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/st.htm

TORONTO RAPTORS-Acquired F Antonio Davis from the New York Knicks for G Jalen Rose, a 2006 first-round draft pick and cash.

Samr
02-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Maybe Davis's wife will have an easier time fighting Canadians.

ChumpDumper
02-04-2006, 12:28 PM
I believe the pick was originally Denver's, so it's somewhere around #20.

exstatic
02-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Maybe Davis's wife will have an easier time fighting Canadians.
:lol:rollin
What a psycho bitch. She just had another altercation, this time with another motorist. She pitched her coffee out the window at her, and again claimed to be the victim, saying that the other motorist called her a racial name.

She and Jackie Christie need to go bowling together.

timvp
02-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Rip Hamilton, Danny Manning, David Robinson, Eric Snow.

I take your point. If I had to name five, I'd have trouble.

Actually, Danny Manning hated Larry Brown. David Robinson respected him, but was happy to see him go.