PDA

View Full Version : So is Javtokas worth a damn?

Tommy Duncan
08-28-2004, 04:32 PM
?

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-28-2004, 04:34 PM
YES

Whottt
08-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Javtokas>Scola IMO...at least as a potential NBA player.

SequSpur
08-28-2004, 05:10 PM
BS.

Whottt
08-28-2004, 05:14 PM
BS what? I'm not saying Scola sucks...but I don't see him being as good as Malik, Javtokas looks like he has the potential to be a much better defender than Rasho...he's definitely quicker and more athletic than Rasho.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Javtokas is already a better interior defender/rebounder than anyone on our squad not named Tim.

T Park Num 9
08-28-2004, 05:29 PM
I agree, dude jumps out of the building and is VERY tenacious on D.

Id try to package Scola and draft picks up and get someone else, like a future swing man.

Scola is not that impressive.

Jatokas has nothing more to gain being over in Europe, bring him over now, put him as the 12th man on the roster, and play him whenever, and let him practice against Duncan.

IMO, bring the Son of a bitch over.

ducks
08-28-2004, 05:59 PM
dude the last spot is saved for the mailman
I actually want him over mailman now though

Whottt
08-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Dunno...watching the way Scola and Manu play together...I wouldn't mind having that hook up on the Spurs.

Das Texan
08-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Scola needs to learn to be more consistent though.

He will have a good game and then a horrible game.

I wouldnt mind seeing him get a real shot to make the Spurs though. The chemistry between him and Manu is sick.

KoriEllis
08-28-2004, 06:12 PM
Scola should have his chance next year. I still think he'd have to make huge adjustments to be effective at all in the NBA. But if he didn't have that huge buyout, he would be having his chance this year.

I'm wondering if the Spurs are considering bringing Javtokas this year -- or if he is destined to stay over there another season. The Spurs have enough bigs on the roster right now. But bringing him over to sit on IR and practice against NBA talent seems logical.

Das Texan
08-28-2004, 06:14 PM
agreed on Javtokas.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Scola is not that impressive

25 and 11 in the gold medal game is not impressive?

You must have been too busy watching Tim go off for six points and four fouls in the bronze medal game.

Scola's got great fundamentals, and it dawned on me watching the US team buying pump fake after pump fake - he's gonna be good in the NBA too, he's got the art of the pump fake/body language necessary to bait people.

On Javtokas, bring him over NOW. The guy is ready, he's got great hops. Anyone who can stuff TD and Marion back to back can play for the Spurs anytime as far as I'm concerned.

timvp
08-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Javtokas is good and has an NBA style game. Notice how Lithuania didn't play him versus the smaller Euro comp, but played him a lot versus the US.

This is no mistake.

spurster
08-28-2004, 07:23 PM
I agree with the aggie on this one.

Yes

WriterNum934
08-28-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm wondering if the Spurs are considering bringing Javtokas this year

Not while they're saving a frontrow seat for Malone.

KoriEllis
08-28-2004, 07:28 PM
I am just wondering if they are still saving Malone's spot. In the latest from Chad Ford, he said Malone is picking between LA and Miami.

IcemanCometh
08-28-2004, 07:29 PM
give javotkas a motorcycle

WriterNum934
08-28-2004, 07:30 PM
I don't think they'll stop saving that seat until Malone tells them he's def. going to either city.

Solid D
08-28-2004, 07:43 PM
If you are a regular in this Forum and/or you watched him the game today, you know the answer Tommy Boy.

He did a nice job on Duncan and defending the lane. Several blocks. He did a real nice job on Yao Ming earlier in the Olympic tourney. He's a strong kid. He clearly showed his ability to run the high screen & roll. He's not an outside threat but he still knows how to use his size, crash the boards and his fouls. Spurs need more physicality and Robertas can deal it.

Pop, RC and Danny would be crazy not to try to sign him now. As far as I know, he doesn't have a buy-out. He's recently signed up with Interperformances Agency, so if the Spurs don't get him in soon, he'll surely sign a nice multi-year deal with Rytas or some A League team and that'll be it on him for a while.

Whottt
08-28-2004, 08:24 PM
Javtokas plays with an attitude as well...just think, he is a pretty decent defender even with Donny Nelson being an assistant coach on that team...can you imagine what Pop'll be able to do with him?

Javtokas may not be a dominant big but he will destroy the myth that all Euro bigs are soft.

jupiterhal
08-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Just the way he has resurrected his career after the horrible crash has impressed me. The dude is as tough as nails. He plays like it too. Physical and fearless. He has Manu's attitude to basketball.

I just know this guy will work his butt off to get into the rotation. He is an NBA player getting wasted in the soft Euroleague. Get 'im 'ere !

T Park Num 9
08-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Aggie,

Scola had a good game, and I give him props for that.

But compared to Javtokas, Javtokas is the better fit.

IMO, if Scola could prove he would be more consistent, and rebound better, then I would consider shipping out Malik Rose, and bring over both Scola and Javtokas.

Till then Scola, hes not coming this year, next year, Id be 100% for it, what the heck.

But if you get a good offer for him, you do it.

A lottery pick, or maybe a solid proven player.

Either way, the Spurs are looking good picking Javtokas and Scola.

SequSpur
08-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Scola just led his team to a Gold Medal over the USA and Italy.

All Ya'll should STFU. You don't know shit about nothing.

If you have a Spurs Hedo jersey in your closet, you should not post in a basketball forum.

Solid D
08-29-2004, 12:36 AM
Scola can definitely play in the NBA. He's not a star but he is a solid role player. He gets to loose balls. He knows how to box out. He hustles and bangs and is tough-minded.

As I've said before...Luis Scola has as much game or more than Eduardo Najera and is an over-achiever, tweener type like Malik Rose. He can be a nice role player for the Spurs and he would be succesful on most NBA teams.

It's true that Argentina fed him some nice passes, but when he sat...Argentina did not do very well. Luis just out-worked, out-positioned and out-scored some of the best players in the world the past 2 weeks.

Polandprzem
08-29-2004, 07:36 AM
Yes Javtokas is more like an NBA player.

Tommy Duncan
08-29-2004, 09:25 AM
Javtokas impressed me much more than Scola. He's definitely the stronger player and he has much more of an 'NBA attitude'. He was not afraid to be physical and not afraid to block shots. He had good instincts when he was in the paint. The timing on his jumps was good and he had good height on second jumps immediately after his first. So he has potential.

Again, just like Scola, another potential NBA bench forward. Nothing to get a non-pharmaceutically enhanced erection over.

rohawk2432
08-29-2004, 11:55 AM
What is the "official" height/weight of these two?

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-29-2004, 12:25 PM
Tpark,

One good game? Scola was Argentina's leading scorer, I believe for the entire Olympics. That's not a one game flash in the pan.

Scola strung together more solid outings in the playoffs than your boy Malik did all of last year.

He held his own against Team USA (and oh yeah - that Duncan guy).

Just because he doesn't windmill dunk, scream, and do commercials for Jim's here in SA doesn't mean he can't play.

He's heady, steady, doesn't make mistakes. He understands fundamentals, sets good screens, and plays within his game.

Both of these guys should be on the Spurs roster. No one's saying Scola is going to be an All-Star in the NBA, just that coming off the bench he would be good for SA.

I'm just tired of people playing down Scola. He punked Team USA collective in the World Championships two years ago, and everyone muttered that he "had one game and one block on Jermaine."

Well, he just tore through the entire f'ing Olympics, Argentina wasn't half the team without him on the court that they were with him out there.

How many solid, steady, fill-up-a-stat-sheet performances does this guy have to have before some of you will give him credit?

Same old Spurs homer myopia. There are guys out there not currently playing for the Spurs who have some game, Luis Scola is one of them.

ducks
08-29-2004, 01:16 PM
GINOBILI, the tournament's fourth best scorer with 19.3 points per game, had the highest two-point shooting accuracy (70.8 per cent) of anyone and ranked seventh in both average assists and steals.
On an Argentine roster replete with players who are professionals in Europe, forward Luis SCOLA led his team with 25 points in the final and averaged 17.6 for the tournament.

www.athens2004.com/en/Lat...130c0a____ (http://www.athens2004.com/en/LatestNews/newslist?item=6d9b42b9386aef00VgnVCM4000002b130c0a ____)

timvp
08-29-2004, 07:59 PM
Same old Spurs homer myopia.

You are the one being the Spurs homer. Just because the Spurs own his rights doesn't make him a better player. I give my honest scouting report on him and people act as if I'm trying to debunk the Christian religion.

If I was going to homer out, I'd be saying how great he is and that we have a future star in the wings.

E20
08-30-2004, 01:40 AM
I like what I see in Scola and Javtokas and hope to see both in a Spurs uni. As I've seen Scola play he has showed me he has a nice soft touch and can run the floor well for his postion and can produce instant offense. His lateral movement/defensive slides could/should be faster and his overall defensive awareness, but Spurs are known for there defense and he should improve with the Spurs also a bit inconsistent, but he only had 1 off game I believe and that was against USA this year. I saw that he was trying too hard and made careless turnovers. Javtokas is the more athletic of the two. He can bang the boards better and his defense is just more impressive than Scola's, I'm not so sure about his offense though. He can however block shots, anyone who blocks Duncan then Marion has something going on. These two players hustle, have the desire and do the little things to help there team win. Hopefully both can be on the Spurs in the future.

ducks
08-30-2004, 12:11 PM
http://img8.exs.cx/img8/1433/Javtokas.jpg