PDA

View Full Version : World Basketball Championships for Men 2006

Solid D
02-04-2006, 03:23 PM
I know this is early, but Tony Parker has already mentioned playing in it this summer. This will likely impact several Spurs players and serve as a preview to the readiness of some of the Spurs previous draft picks and international pool of FAs.

World Basketball Championships for Men 2006
Date: 08/19/2006 - 09/03/2006
Locations: Hamamatsu; Hiroshima; Sapporo; Sendai and Saitama - JAPAN

Teams (http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/events/competition/part_teams.asp?RoundID=3507&CompetitionCode=WMM&Season=2006&fisC=false&lang=EN&act_link=1)

Schedule (http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/events/competition/event_schedule.asp?RoundID=3507&CompetitionCode=WMM&Season=2006&fisC=false&lang=EN&act_link=8)

What Spurs players have already committed to play or expressed interest?

Solid D
02-04-2006, 03:41 PM
FIBA news - A different perspective on Basketball. NBA is a league but the World Championships and Olympics extend beyond League Championships.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/news/latest_news_article.asp?cookietest=done&r_act_news=11113&r_cat=8

03/02/2006
USA - Nesterovic, Spurs shoot down Warriors

NEW YORK (NBA) - Slovenia national team center Rasho Nesterovic had one of his best games of the season for the San Antonio Spurs as they beat Golden State in Oakland, California, on Thursday evening.

In a game loaded with players who will take part in the FIBA World Championship in Japan this August, San Antonio won 89-86 and Nesterovic finished with 12 points and 10 rebounds.

After he made a jumper for San Antonio and Troy Murphy sank an 18-footer for the Warriors, Tim Duncan hit a free throw and a jumper with 1:44 to play for an 87-84 Spurs' advantage.

Baron Davis made a long jumper with his foot on the three-point line for Golden State, cutting the deficit to 87-86 with 34 seconds remaining. After Duncan made two foul shots with 10 seconds left, Fisher and French international team-mate Mickael Pietrus missed shots from the arc that would have tied the contest before time expired.

France's Tony Parker scored 23 points and Argentina's Manu Ginobili added 18 for the Spurs, who tied a season-high with their sixth consecutive victory. They have also won 10 of their last 11 to move one-half game ahead of Dallas for first place in the Southwest Division and the Western Conference.

Duncan scored 16 points and grabbed 11 rebounds for the Spurs, who are 10-3 in games decided by less than six points this season. Fabricio Oberto, the Argentinian national team center, was unavailable for San Antonio after spraining his ankle in Wednesday's game against Portland.

That left more playing time for both Nesterovic and New Zealand's Sean Marks, who had eight points and three rebounds in 12 minutes. Slovenia's Beno Udrih had two points and six assists in 16 and a half minutes for San Antonio.

Murphy scored 22 points and Davis had 17 for Golden State, who have lost six of seven.

Team USA's Wade gets hot for Heat

The way Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade has played the past two seasons in the NBA, it seems almost conceivable that the United States would not want him to play at the FIBA World Championship.

Wade, who represented his country at the Athens Olympics, scored 24 points and led the Miami's defensive charge in a 101-73 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers, who had their seven-game winning streak snapped. Pat Riley, who implemented his defensive style with the New York Knicks and in his first stint with Miami in the 1990s, convinced his fourth-ranked offence (100.2 points per game) to lock down on the other end early.

Miami held Cleveland to 29% (seven of 24) shooting in the opening period to take a 24-15 lead entering the second quarter. The Heat continued their stronghold in the second frame by holding the Cavaliers scoreless until there was 5:43 remaining and LeBron James sank two foul shots.

During Cleveland's drought, Miami scored the first 19 points of the period and tallied a majority of their points in the paint during the surge and took a 52-33 lead at the break after allowing the visitors to shoot just 27% (12 of 44). Wade, who has been named a starter for the Eastern Conference in the All-Star Game, added six assists and four steals as five Heat players reached double-figures.

Shaquille O'Neal, also a starter and an All-Star for the 13th straight season, finished with 21 points and eight rebounds. James, another Team USA star, was the only Cavalier to reach double-figures as he collected 29 points.

Rising international stars to play in Rookie Challenge

With Dirk Nowitzki (Germany), Steve Nash (Canada), Parker (France) and Pau Gasol (Spain) expected to play in the NBA All-Star Game on February 19, there will be no shortage of international basketball players displaying their talents in Houston. But fans won't have to wait until Sunday to see top international players doing their thing.

Four exceptional young stars with international backgrounds will compete in the 2006 Rookie Challenge on Friday, February 17 at the Toyota Center in Houston. Andrew Bogut of the Milwaukee Bucks, the first pick in the 2005 NBA Draft and a product of Australia will play on the Rookie Team, as will 29-year-old rookie Sarunas Jasikevicius (Lithuania) of the Indiana Pacers.

The Sophomore Team will feature Nenad Krstic (Serbia & Montenegro) of the New Jersey Nets and Andres Nocioni (Argentina) of the Chicago Bulls.

By PA Sport, Exclusively For FIBA

zeleni
02-04-2006, 07:11 PM

Radoslav Nesterovic % Beno Udrih for Slovenia

Emanuel Ginobili & Fabricio Oberto for Argentine

Tony Parker for France

Bowen had said he would be honored to play for USA NT.

So Spurs have 6 potential candidates for recieving a NBA title and World Championship title in tha same year... :fro

My money is on Slovenia. :spin

hendrix
02-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Radoslav Nesterovic % Beno Udrih for Slovenia

Emanuel Ginobili & Fabricio Oberto for Argentine

Tony Parker for France

So Spurs have 6 potential candidates for recieving a NBA title and World Championship title in tha same year... :fro

No chance at all

Brutalis
02-04-2006, 09:01 PM
You mean the "Let's injure our players in the league that doesn't matter the most Championship."

Solid D
02-04-2006, 10:35 PM
You mean the "Let's injure our players in the league that doesn't matter the most Championship."

I understand your point, Brutalis, but it's not a league... it's more like a world tournament.

zeleni
02-05-2006, 06:25 AM
No chance at all

wanna fight? :elephant :drunk

Just explain why we couldn't win. Then I can do the same with USA and Spain.

Ariel
02-05-2006, 06:49 AM

Just explain why we couldn't win. Then I can do the same with USA and Spain.Hey, as long as it's your money we're talking about... ;)

To be fair, I think that all of the following countries have a better chance than Slovenia:
USA
Argentina
Lithuania
Serbia & Montenegro
Spain
France
Greece
Germany
Italy
That said, other than a full strength USA team, any one of those teams (+ Slovenia + Turkey + Brazil) can beat another in a given day. So, I guess, anything could happen.

velik_m
02-05-2006, 07:59 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32830

but thanks for the article!

ata
02-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Italy is regular customer of Slovenia (meaning, we always beat them in major competition); S&M has't done anything significant after Toronto. They both didn't qualified (as well as Turkey).

France, Greece (we beat them both in EC) and Germany are at similar strenght.

Others mentioned in the list above (USA, Argentina and Lithuania) are not reachable (with exception of Spain, maybe). Much depends on who will play for Lithuania!

hendrix
02-05-2006, 10:03 AM

Just explain why we couldn't win. Then I can do the same with USA and Spain.

Your NBA guys (Rasho and Beno) are wussies.

velik_m
02-05-2006, 10:55 AM

both are better than what argentina has at their positons, so what does that make your players... smeg?

hendrix
02-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Beno is not better than Pepe Sanchez at playmaking and much less at defense. The fact that Pepe couldn't make it in the NBA is because his inconsistency at scoring. I still take Pepe over Beno every day of the week.
Rasho.... well, since Argentina will play 2 PF in the WC (Scola+Oberto), I just can't compare them. But any of the "real" centers in Argentina are TOUGH and usually enjoy hitting some wussies. I'll recommend Rasho to stay home if the teams meet.

HIP HOOPERS
02-05-2006, 12:49 PM

Your mamma...

ALVAREZ6
02-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Hendrix, just :stfu already.

zeleni
02-05-2006, 01:04 PM
I have no beef wih Argentina, so...

I hope we will know who is better.. Slovenia or Argentine...

That would mean at least semis. So I hope you have a great tournament.

Same goes for France.

Hendrix, you really want to fight, do you? I hope you will get someone who would say we will play Beno. Now he is only a sub. Then I'll gladly discuss your problems with Slovenes.

Now is not the time.

And Pepe Sanchez is the weakest link of your NT. Beno was never our weakest link.

I would like to wait for the semifinals. Then this little talk would be properly heated. And you will be without any doubt OWNED. Right now I'd like to cheer for the Spurs.

Athenea
02-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Hmmm Zeleni...to say Pepe is our weakest link shows u know little of our NT. He is our starting pg/playmaker and our best defender.
At least till your NT wins any significant title at all, I would stop the trash-talk.
Noone knows for sure how the players would be by the time WC starts (injury-wise).
On paper I would go w/Ariel's ranking and I even put Argentina at 3rd spot.

zeleni
02-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Hmmm Zeleni...to say Pepe is our weakest link shows u know little of our NT. He is our starting pg/playmaker and our best defender.
At least till your NT wins any significant title at all, I would stop the trash-talk.
Noone knows for sure how the players would be by the time WC starts (injury-wise).
On paper I would go w/Ariel's ranking and I even put Argentina at 3rd spot.

I'm talking trash-talk?

I do not think so. Tried to be euphoric and somebody distracted me. I am just trying to put him in his place. I have the right to believe Slovenia will get even better. Hendrix wanted to remind me that I'm dilusional, but I disagree with him.

Argentine is a great team. Pepe Sanchez is weakness of your stronghold. I can keep repeating this. I just won't. TP-Pepe duel will be so important that I do not need to explain why he can be the a weakness. I need to study.

When Rasho will play Oberto... And Brezec will play Scola... Then I will be so happy they made it to semifinals, that I will just hope they can qualify to Olympic games. See, I am modest.

Now about this trash talk/wussies remarks. To a duel I challenge you.

http://www.insidepool.com/images/upload/Corey_Deuel_Derby_One_Pocke.jpg

Lady M
02-05-2006, 03:38 PM
France is a big question cause the best players are very young
TP, Boris Diaw, Mike Pietrus,Mikael gelabale 23 Turiaf 22 Petro 19 (not sure in the team).
with some veterans (Weis who was dunked by Carter in JO 2000 but now best center in spain)
we can do great things or nothing

1Parker1
02-05-2006, 04:12 PM
^Boris Diaw has really impressed me this season with the Suns. Him and TP could be a scary combo :)

ata
02-05-2006, 04:35 PM
^Interesting enough that they were not scary on EC. Parker not at his best at the beginning and Diaw not very reliable. I am impressed with Diaw's play for Sonics. If Parker will be able to pull out some Nash's way of leading France national team, Diaw could be major factor.

@Zeleni: you are real Zeleni (Green). Chill out. Argentina is reigining Olypic champion, show some respect.

zeleni
02-05-2006, 04:57 PM
^Interesting enough that they were not scary on EC. Parker not at his best at the beginning and Diaw not very reliable. I am impressed with Diaw's play for Sonics. If Parker will be able to pull out some Nash's way of leading France national team, Diaw could be major factor.

@Zeleni: you are real Zeleni (Green). Chill out. Argentina is reigining Olypic champion, show some respect.

Maybe I'm a greenhorn, but they called our player a wuss! :pctoss

That can be applied only to handball players of Slovenia... :lol :rolleyes

I have shown respect. They didn't.

Ariel
02-05-2006, 04:57 PM
In all honesty, I don't think Zeleni was the disrespectful one. Overly confident? perhaps, but that's absolutely his prerogative. I have no problem with that. Now, calling others 'wussies'... I'm not so comfortable with.

Ariel
02-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Maybe I'm a greenhorn, but they called our player a wuss! :pctoss

That can be applied only to handball players of Slovenia... :lol :rolleyes

I have shown respect. They didn't.Please, don't resort to unwarranted generalizations, ok?

MaNuMaNiAc
02-05-2006, 05:06 PM
The only one looking for trouble here was Hendrix, but what else is new. I think Slovenia will be a force to recon with. In fact other than Argentina, I'm rooting for Slovenia!

angel_luv
02-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Rasho Nesterovic & Beno Udrih for Slovenia

Manu Ginobili & Fabricio Oberto for Argentine

Tony Parker for France

The only downside is that most of the guys will be playing against each other at the W.C.

I am rooting for Slovenia :king and Argentina :).

zeleni
02-05-2006, 05:57 PM
The only downside is that most of the guys will be playing against each other at the W.C.

I am rooting for Slovenia :king and Argentina :).

And I'll cheer for USofA and France.

Let them all come to semifinals... :king

spurschick
02-19-2006, 05:22 PM
FIBA: ARG - Nocioni rates Argentina's chances in Japan

/noticias.info/ Any team headed to the FIBA World Championship believing Argentina may have lost some of their hunger for glory after their Olympic triumph are not thinking clearly.

Andres Nocioni, who plays for the Chicago Bulls, says he and his Argentinian compatriots are determined to snatch the gold medal they should have won four years ago in Indianapolis when the team lost in an overtime final to Serbia & Montenegro.

"Argentina has a talented a group, with four NBA players, the first time we have that," said Nocioni in Houston where he is taking part in the NBA All-Star festivities.

Emanuel Ginobli and Fabricio Oberto play for San Antonio and Carlos Delfino is with the Detroit Pistons.

"So we’ll be very hard to get past and we will be out to win a medal," he said. "We want any medal, but will be focused on the gold. We must work very hard because this team is not a surprise anymore. This is a strong squad with international prestige, so we must do things well."

The 26-year-old Nocioni played 23 minutes in the Sophomores’ 106-96 win over the NBA Rookies on Friday night, contributing 13 points from the bench.

"It’s very nice to be here in Houston and make history, not only as a Chicago player but also as a representative of Argentina and Latin American players."

http://www.noticias.info/asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=148004&src=0

T-Pain
02-19-2006, 05:31 PM
I know this is early, but Tony Parker has already mentioned playing in it this summer. This will likely impact several Spurs players and serve as a preview to the readiness of some of the Spurs previous draft picks and international pool of FAs.

World Basketball Championships for Men 2006
Date: 08/19/2006 - 09/03/2006
Locations: Hamamatsu; Hiroshima; Sapporo; Sendai and Saitama - JAPAN

Teams (http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/events/competition/part_teams.asp?RoundID=3507&CompetitionCode=WMM&Season=2006&fisC=false&lang=EN&act_link=1)

Schedule (http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/events/competition/event_schedule.asp?RoundID=3507&CompetitionCode=WMM&Season=2006&fisC=false&lang=EN&act_link=8)

Hiroshima??? wow, if the US plays in that venue, the japanese fans are gonna shit allover us. especially with our own fans in the stands. hopefully all that radiation is gone by now

spurschick
02-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Hiroshima??? wow, if the US plays in that venue, the japanese fans are gonna shit allover us. especially with our own fans in the stands. hopefully all that radiation is gone by now

You've got to be kidding.

T-Pain
02-19-2006, 05:35 PM
You've got to be kidding.

you think hiroshima residents have forgiven the US for bombing their city????? hell no, i wouldnt

Sportman
02-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Beno is not better than Pepe Sanchez at playmaking and much less at defense. The fact that Pepe couldn't make it in the NBA is because his inconsistency at scoring. I still take Pepe over Beno every day of the week.

Well I would say NOW, that PRIGIONI is better than them (sanchez and beno). He just won a tournament in spain called "la copa del rey" which is very important in spain and he was named MVP of the tournament.

spurschick
02-19-2006, 05:58 PM
you think hiroshima residents have forgiven the US for bombing their city????? hell no, i wouldnt

Pearl Harbor

T-Pain
02-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Pearl Harbor

it dont matter. if my grandmother was deformed because of a country bombing her neighborhood and that same country came back, i wouldnt be very forgiving. like i said, the WBC should schedule US games away from Hiroshima to avoid any protests and riots goin on outside.

spurschick
02-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Or perhaps it will be a time of forgiveness and understanding.

diego
02-19-2006, 06:44 PM
i went to japan recentl (02) and visited hiroshima. Its a weird place, in the sense that it is a very modern city in a beautiful natural landscape, very lush and green hill country. The museum is quite critical of the US, but also of all countries that have developed and tested nuclear weapons, ie france, russia, pakistan, etc. It is also surprisingly hard on japanese militarism.

Personally i think the US team would get more protests in the Okinawa area because of the bases and rapes they have had there. I was pretty surprised how over it most people are. Japanese people are pretty much obsessed with American culture, i think you'll have less anti-us incidents there than if you played in China, Europe, or Latin America.

and beyond the fact that pearl harbor was the first attack vs hiroshima being a retaliation, i dont think you can compare them in terms of impact: Pearl Harbor was a military attack with fairly low casualties, while Hiroshima was one of the deadliest bombings in the history of mankind with a high degree of civilian casualties, some even unborn innocent children up to 20-25 years after the bombing.

spurschick
02-19-2006, 06:59 PM
and beyond the fact that pearl harbor was the first attack vs hiroshima being a retaliation, i dont think you can compare them in terms of impact

I wasn't comparing.

T-Pain
02-19-2006, 10:06 PM
i went to japan recentl (02) and visited hiroshima. Its a weird place, in the sense that it is a very modern city in a beautiful natural landscape, very lush and green hill country. The museum is quite critical of the US, but also of all countries that have developed and tested nuclear weapons, ie france, russia, pakistan, etc. It is also surprisingly hard on japanese militarism.

Personally i think the US team would get more protests in the Okinawa area because of the bases and rapes they have had there. I was pretty surprised how over it most people are. Japanese people are pretty much obsessed with American culture, i think you'll have less anti-us incidents there than if you played in China, Europe, or Latin America.

and beyond the fact that pearl harbor was the first attack vs hiroshima being a retaliation, i dont think you can compare them in terms of impact: Pearl Harbor was a military attack with fairly low casualties, while Hiroshima was one of the deadliest bombings in the history of mankind with a high degree of civilian casualties, some even unborn innocent children up to 20-25 years after the bombing.

told you there was gonna be anti-us sentiment, wherever you go in japan

Dario
02-20-2006, 06:26 AM
There is anti-us sentiment just about everywhere you go in the world, so whats your point?

Ariel
02-20-2006, 08:17 AM
...Ladies and gentlemen, I present you 'How to derail a thread', by T-Pain.

vanvannen
02-20-2006, 09:56 AM
The thread was going nowhere anyway, thanks to Hendrix.

WalterBenitez
02-20-2006, 12:16 PM
It wouldn't be polite to send USA Natl Team to play in Hiroshima, not sure even if it scheduled, btw ... Is this thread out of NBA?

Kori Ellis
02-20-2006, 05:04 PM
The arguments in this thread are all for not. Click on Schedule in the original post. All the United States games are in Sapporo. None are in Hiroshima.

Mixability
02-20-2006, 05:21 PM
so much for rest in the off-season. :pctoss

spurschick
02-20-2006, 07:48 PM
so much for rest in the off-season. :pctoss

Well, as we've seen, Manu is better off not resting.

ALVAREZ6
02-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, as we've seen, Manu is better off not resting.
Same w/ TP.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Shall we move back to basketball?

Group A
Nigeria
Lebanon
Argentina
France
Venezuela
Serbia & Montenegro

Group B
Panama
New Zealand
Germany
Japan
Spain
Angola

Group C
Qatar
Australia
Turkey
Lithuania
Brazil
Greece

Group D
Senegal
USA
China
Italy
Puerto Rico
Slovenia

On paper, it seems pretty clear who'll go through the first group stage for Groups A & B (4 out of 6 qualify for the next round), while Groups C & D will certainly leave one or two good teams out in the first round.

I don't like making predicitions with so much time left for the start of the tournament, anything can happen (injuries, players withdrawals, etc), but my early favourites are:

- Argentina
- USA
- Spain
- Germany
- Serbia & Montenegro
- Lithuania

Underdog bet:
- Brazil
- Greece

Here are some current NBA players or players that their rights are held by an NBA team, that could be playing in Japan; some of them will be there for sure, others depend on different factors (coach picks, fitness, withdrawals, etc).

Argentina
Manu Ginobili (Spurs)
Fabricio Oberto (Spurs)
Carlos Delfino (Pistons)
Andres Nocioni (Bulls)
Luis Scola (Spurs)
Federico Kammerichs (Blazers)
Former NBA players: Pepe Sanchez, Ruben Wolkowisky

Australia
Andrew Bogut (Bucks)
David Andersen (Hawks)
Ben Pepper (Celtics)
Former NBA: Shane Heal

Brazil
Rafael Araujo (Raptors)
Leandro Barbosa (Suns)
Lucas Tischer (Suns)
Anderson Varejao (Cavs)
Nene (Nuggets)

China
Yao Ming (Rockets)
Xue Yuyang (Nuggets)
Former NBA: Mengke Bateer

France
Tony Parker (Spurs)
Boris Diaw (Suns)
Johan Petro (Sonics)
Mickael Pietrus (Warriors)
Alain Digbeu (Hawks)
Mickael Gelabale (Sonics)
Ian Mahinimi (Spurs)
Paccelis Morlende (Sonics)
Frederic Weiss (Knicks)

Germany
Dirk Nowitzki (Mavs)
Peter Fehse (Sonics)

Greece
Jake Tsakalidis (Suns)
Sofoklis Schortsanitis (Clippers)
Vassilis Spanoulis (Rockets)

Lithuania
Martynas Andriuskevicius (Cavs)
Linas Kleiza (Nuggets)
Zydrunas Ilgauskas (Cavs)
Sarunas Jasikevicius (Pacers)
Arvydas Macijauskas (Hornets)
Darius Songaila (Bulls)
Robertas Javtokas (Spurs)
Aurelijius Zukauskas (Bucks)

New Zealand
Sean Marks (Spurs)
Former NBA: Kirk Penney

Puerto Rico
Carlos Arroyo (Pistons)
Peter John Ramos (Wizards)
Ricky Sanchez (Nuggets)
Former NBA: Daniel Santiago

Senegal
DeSagana Diop (Mavs)
Pape Sow (Raptors)
Boniface Ndong (Clippers)
Malick Badiane (Rockets)

Serbia and Montenegro
Zarko Cabarkapa (Warriors)
Marko Jaric (Timberwolves)
Nenad Krstic (Nets)
Darko Milicic (Magic)
Aleksandar Pavlovic (Cavs)
Vladimir Radmanovic (Clippers)
Zeljko Rebraca (Clippers)
Predrag Stojakovic (Pacers)
Dejan Bodiroga (Kings)
Mile Ilic (Nets)
Mladen Sekularac (Warriors)
Milos Vujanic (Suns)
Former NBA: Igor Rakocevic, Predrag Drobnjak

Slovenia
Primoz Brezec (Bobcats)
Bostjan Nachbar (Hornets)
Rasho Nesterovic (Spurs)
Beno Udrih (Spurs)
Sasha Vujacic (Lakers)
Sani Becirovic (Nuggets)
Erazem Lorbek (Pacers)
Uros Slokar (Raptors)

Spain
Jose Calderon (Raptors)
Pau Gasol (Grizzlies)
Roberto Dueńas (Heat)
Albert Miralles (Celtics)
Juan Carlos Navarro (Wizards)
Fran Vasquez (Magic)
Former NBA: Raul Lopez

Turkey
Ersan Ilyasova (Bucks)
Mehmet Okur (Jazz)
Hedo Turkoglu (Magic)
Cenk Akyol (Hawks)

Am I missing someone (obviously Team USA, but all their players are from the NBA)? Who should be there for your country? Who shouldn't? Who are your favourites? :blah

smeagol
02-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Did Vlade Divac retire?

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Did Vlade Divac retire?

Yes, finally :lol

At the end of last season.

Pero
02-21-2006, 06:55 AM
We also have one former NBA player, Marko Milic.

From group A, I think Lebanon and Nigeria (or Venezuela) won`t make it.
From B Panama and Japan.
From C Qatar for sure and probably Turkey, but it˙s hard to say.

From D It`s very hard to say. Senegal, and I think China won`t make it either.
I just hope Slovenia doesn`t srew up something. Having 9 players related to NBA in some way and not coming through would be a bit embarassing. The only thing that could make up for that is a victory against the US. :lol :D

My favourites for winning are USA, Argentina, Spain, Lithuania and France.

Slo spurs fan
02-21-2006, 07:06 AM
Slovenia also have the best PG in Eurpleague (Jaka Lakovic (Panathinaikos)), I know he´s not related to NBA but he is so good... :)

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-21-2006, 07:10 AM
Slovenia also have the best PG in Eurpleague (Jaka Lakovic (Panathinaikos)), I know he´s not related to NBA but he is so good... :)

Yes, he is good, but not as good as Pablo Prigioni (Tau Ceramica) :D

Slo spurs fan
02-21-2006, 07:19 AM
Yes, he is good, but not as good as Pablo Prigioni (Tau Ceramica) :D
You mus be joking, right?

MaNuMaNiAc
02-21-2006, 07:34 AM
Pearl Harbor hmmm... yeah... not the same thing BY FAR! Very bad example http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif Comparing 2000 dead soldiers against 100,000 dead civilians! pffff Not to mention the problems caused by radiation http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

Didn't mean to hijack the thread jeje, but I had to comment on that post http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-21-2006, 07:49 AM
You mus be joking, right?

Different players. Lakovic is a scorer, while Prigioni is a playmaker. Prigioni has been huge for Tau in the last few months, he led them to winning the King's Cup and was selected MVP over Scola.

We also have one former NBA player, Marko Milic.

From group A, I think Lebanon and Nigeria (or Venezuela) won`t make it.
From B Panama and Japan.
From C Qatar for sure and probably Turkey, but it˙s hard to say.

From D It`s very hard to say. Senegal, and I think China won`t make it either.
I just hope Slovenia doesn`t srew up something. Having 9 players related to NBA in some way and not coming through would be a bit embarassing. The only thing that could make up for that is a victory against the US. :lol :D

My favourites for winning are USA, Argentina, Spain, Lithuania and France.

Venezuela, on paper, is much more than Lebanon and Nigeria.
I agree on group B, but if New Zealand has a bad day against Panama they could be surprised.
In C, Qatar will be last for sure, the other one will be hard to say.
In D, Senegal, and the other one should be the one that has the worst form between China, Puerto Rico and Italy.

adrien
02-21-2006, 07:51 AM

Diaw not very reliable ? Have we watched the same tournament ?
Diaw has been awesome carrying France when Parker was tired at the begining and playing his versatile style. He was named in the best starting five of the EC.
By the way, he plays for the Suns :rolleyes

SlovenianGuy
02-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Diaw not very reliable ? Have we watched the same tournament ?

FT% 19.2
5/26

spurschick
02-21-2006, 09:04 AM
hmmm... yeah... not the same thing BY FAR! Very bad example http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif Comparing 2000 dead soldiers against 100,000 dead civilians! pffff Not to mention the problems caused by radiation http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

Didn't mean to hijack the thread jeje, but I had to comment on that post http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

What part of "I wasn't comparing" didn't you understand.

zeleni
02-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Different players. Lakovic is a scorer, while Prigioni is a playmaker. Prigioni has been huge for Tau in the last few months, he led them to winning the King's Cup and was selected MVP over Scola.

Lakovic is a playmaker. Prignoni is a sub who gets favorite treatment couse he needed to perform quickly after Ukic's injury. He is making a name for himself... but he is still not a guy everyone is relying on.

Lakovic is by far more reliable as a player and more skilled as well. Panathinaikos will be champs mostly on his and Mike Batiste's account.

Tau on the other hand doesn't stand a chance in TOP 16. Not against CSKA or even Rytas. Smodis is a better player than Scola and Stelmahers is a better playmaker than Prigioni.

Left hand, Tau is more a fractured team than Spurs. Their injuries are more fundamental. Their players less qualified. Tau is not going to final4.

Pero
02-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Smodis is very good, but it`s hard to say if Smodis is a better player than Scola, considering he`s injured a lot...

prerok
02-21-2006, 10:46 AM
just to notice
Slovenia is only a 2mio country

wonder if there's any region with 2mio population in the world that could compete in so many sports on same level

zeleni
02-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Smodis is very good, but it`s hard to say if Smodis is a better player than Scola, considering he`s injured a lot...

Smodis could be the only one who could play Nowitzki that game we lost and still respond to those triples late in the game by Pascal.
Truth is, that he has troubles with his back, but that can be fixed if treated carefuly all season long. Scola is a great player, but Smodis...he could be in NBA long time ago making a name for himself. Even when playing with Ginobili he was as important as Manu or that physical giant.
They almost won the next championship with Smodis alone, if only Sani Becirovic didn't convert that late FT. Smodis would then surely be MVP.

Europewise:
Smodis: 1 Euroleague
Scola: 0 Euroleague

That would be it, wouldn't it be, Pero?

Solid D
02-21-2006, 11:01 AM
USA has to play Puerto Rico again first thing in Sapporo. Remember what happened in Athens? Arroyo and PR wiped the floor with Team USA.

zeleni
02-21-2006, 11:02 AM
just to notice
Slovenia is only a 2mio country

wonder if there's any region with 2mio population in the world that could compete in so many sports on same level

Do not bragg with 2 MIO...please. We should be better... ;) How can we win a handball championship by being satisfied with a silver medal long time ago, eh?

Ben Franklin said:
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."

Let's do it!

zeleni
02-21-2006, 11:05 AM
USA has to play Puerto Rico again first thing in Sapporo. Remember what happened in Athens? Arroyo and PR wiped the floor with Team USA.

Puerto Rico will be pumped up again.. This will be a great game.

Pero
02-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Smodis could be the only one who could play Nowitzki that game we lost and still respond to those triples late in the game by Pascal.
Truth is, that he has troubles with his back, but that can be fixed if treated carefuly all season long. Scola is a great player, but Smodis...he could be in NBA long time ago making a name for himself. Even when playing with Ginobili he was as important as Manu or that physical giant.
They almost won the next championship with Smodis alone, if only Sani Becirovic didn't convert that late FT. Smodis would then surely be MVP.

Europewise:
Smodis: 1 Euroleague
Scola: 0 Euroleague

That would be it, wouldn't it be, Pero?

I forgot about that, Smodis was amazing. Even when Manu was there, he was very important, his clutch play in the Euroleague playoffs (finals) was one of the keys to Kinders victory if I remember correctly.
If they would`ve won that final four he`d defenetly be the MVP.

I just hope he`ll play for Slovenia this time...

prerok
02-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Do not bragg with 2 MIO...please. We should be better... ;) How can we win a handball championship by being satisfied with a silver medal long time ago, eh?

Ben Franklin said:
"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing."

Let's do it!

ts ts
we're trying to fool the enemy ;)

and forget handball on this forum. these guys have no idea it is a team sport or sport at all.

I am just marking down august date for Slovenia:USA
and hoping for
1 - Beno
2 - Vujacic
3 - Nachbar
4 - Brezec
5 - Rasho

With second team on the bench scary enough for any yuro team.

zeleni
02-21-2006, 11:35 AM
I just hope he`ll play for Slovenia this time...

http://www.graffitipress.it/quick/20050603LottomaticaClimamio/smodisrombaldoni_lottomaticaclimamio(abal)_5302_st d.jpg
(Erazem Lorbek hugging Matjaz Smodis)

That would be a great attack tandem along with Rasho and Brezec. The best frontcourt in WC! And Milic... And what about Tušek?! That would be too good to be true.

Team Slovenia is equal to Team USA on size and skill with such guys on our team. We lack only in backcourt with Lakovic and Udrih, Becirovic and Capin. I expect problems only with compact teams like Puerto Rico. Those would be the most hardheaded teams to break.

angel_luv
02-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Slovenia
Primoz Brezec (Bobcats)
Bostjan Nachbar (Hornets)
Rasho Nesterovic (Spurs)
Beno Udrih (Spurs)
Sasha Vujacic (Lakers)
Sani Becirovic (Nuggets)
Erazem Lorbek (Pacers)
Uros Slokar (Raptors)

More NBA Slovenians- yea! :elephant
When do these guys come over? And how is Jaka Lakovic?

zeleni
02-21-2006, 11:49 AM
ts ts
we're trying to fool the enemy ;)

and forget handball on this forum. these guys have no idea it is a team sport or sport at all.

and hoping for
1 - Beno
2 - Vujacic
3 - Nachbar
4 - Brezec
5 - Rasho

No Nachbar please... He needs to play better. We will see how he does in playoffs. ;)

I do not trust Sasha as well. Beno could grow up and play a decent game, Sasha would be more a defensive guy...and I cannot see him do a lot. Except he already went under Iverson's skin. ;) Maybe he would be our tough guy :hat

This will be a great summer... I'm so sorry I don't get to go to Japan... I missed football, and now this basketball... I'm not sure Asian are worth this kind of hassle for me. The timezones and all that.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Lakovic is a playmaker. Prignoni is a sub who gets favorite treatment couse he needed to perform quickly after Ukic's injury. He is making a name for himself... but he is still not a guy everyone is relying on.

Lakovic is by far more reliable as a player and more skilled as well. Panathinaikos will be champs mostly on his and Mike Batiste's account.

Tau on the other hand doesn't stand a chance in TOP 16. Not against CSKA or even Rytas. Smodis is a better player than Scola and Stelmahers is a better playmaker than Prigioni.

Left hand, Tau is more a fractured team than Spurs. Their injuries are more fundamental. Their players less qualified. Tau is not going to final4.

Lol. Prigioni isn't a sub of Ukic, he was a sub last year but he had Calderon in front of him, and even then, when he wasn't 100% fit, he played for long streches, sending Calderon to the SG spot.

He has directed Tau this season, Scola's impressive season is directly linked to Prigioni's playmaking.

I don't agree with this whole "Panathinaikos will win, Tau don't stand a chance in Top 16". You are way overrating Eastern European teams and underrating Spanish teams. Remember that last season Tau went into the final 4, and even won an incredible match in Moscow, something that many other teams weren't able to do. Greek, Israeli and Russian top teams are very good, but the overall level of the league can't be compared with Italy or Spain. CSKA, Maccabi or Panathinaikos always have a walk in the park to win their league. Smodis in no way is a better player than Scola; again, he's a different kind of player. Does Smodis bring so many scoring options and moves in the post as Scola?

And if we are going to compare titles...
Scola:
1 Olympic Gold
1 Silver medal in World Championships
1 Spanish League
2 times Euroleague runner-up
3 Spanish King's Cup

zeleni
02-22-2006, 03:06 AM
Lol. Prigioni isn't a sub of Ukic, he was a sub last year but he had Calderon in front of him, and even then, when he wasn't 100% fit, he played for long streches, sending Calderon to the SG spot.

He has directed Tau this season, Scola's impressive season is directly linked to Prigioni's playmaking.

Yes, he was meant to be a sub. Ukic then fell apart due to that horrible game against Spain. Scola will always have an impressive season...he IS a GO-TO guy for them after all. Not many teams have a big man to score big points in Europe.

I don't agree with this whole "Panathinaikos will win, Tau don't stand a chance in Top 16". You are way overrating Eastern European teams and underrating Spanish teams. Remember that last season Tau went into the final 4, and even won an incredible match in Moscow, something that many other teams weren't able to do. Greek, Israeli and Russian top teams are very good, but the overall level of the league can't be compared with Italy or Spain. CSKA, Maccabi or Panathinaikos always have a walk in the park to win their league.
Spain and Italy have the strongest league competition. But we are not comparing leagues, are we? Maccabi won Raptors...ergo Euroleague is better than NBA? No one is saying that. Maccabi is just a team stronger than Raptors.
Overrating Eastern teams? No. Tau has a chance going to Final4 by winning 4 of 6 games, Rytas cannot. But Rytas is capable to beat TAU twice, while the same cannot be said vice versa. Panathinaikos on the other hand can beat everyone on his group. Tau is a thin team, plagued by injuries and in the middle of creating a team for years to come. They will not win anything except maybe Spanish titles (they already done that with Kings Cup).

Smodis in no way is a better player than Scola; again, he's a different kind of player. Does Smodis bring so many scoring options and moves in the post as Scola?

And if we are going to compare titles...
Scola:
1 Olympic Gold
1 Silver medal in World Championships
1 Spanish League
2 times Euroleague runner-up
3 Spanish King's Cup

1 Slovenian League (he has beaten Olimpija by himself)
2 Italian League
2 Italian Cups
1 Euroleague
1 Euroleague runner-up

Too bad our NT is just now beggining to rise up. It would be great if we had some NT medal to add to this CV.

You are right, they are hard to compare. Smodis has great scoring options and a good 3pt game. He is a great rebounder and a decent defender with ability to block shots. His only problems is his back..an injury waiting to happen.

Dario
02-22-2006, 03:57 AM
ts ts

and hoping for
1 - Beno
2 - Vujacic
3 - Nachbar
4 - Brezec
5 - Rasho

1 - Beno
2 - Lakovič
3 - Smodiš
4 - Lorbek
5 - Brezec
is our first team

MI21
02-22-2006, 04:01 AM
Australia will rise from below and earn the title of World Champions.

:lol

zeleni
02-22-2006, 05:07 AM
1 - Beno
2 - Lakovič
3 - Smodiš
4 - Lorbek
5 - Brezec
is our first team

2nd team:

Becirovic
Milic
Nachbar
Tušek
Rasho

+Capin
+Vujacic
+Slokar

WOW...

Watch out USA...

Kori Ellis
02-22-2006, 05:11 AM
So Beno is the best Slovenian point guard?

Dario
02-22-2006, 05:47 AM
Nah, lakovič is by far better point guard with bečirovič coming second. Its just the fact that both lakovič and bečirovič are pure shooters, so they aren't effective as they can be when both on the floor at the same time and beno being pass first guard, he can control our offense.

zeleni
02-22-2006, 06:20 AM
So Beno is the best Slovenian point guard?

Beno is the best point guard we have. He has the best feel for the game and his only problem is the physicality of the game in NBA. Beno is a guy who takes the responsibility only if everyone else is not doing their job. Most of all he is the only PG we have who can dish out more than 7 AssPerGame on a tournament.

Jaka Lakovic is the most responsible PG, he rarely lets his team down, so he is more important to his teams. Sani Becirovic is pure talent, who could make triple doubles in NBA-like game, but is sometimes reckless, hoping the game will come to him if he just attempts enough shots.
Basketball-wise Jaka (pronounce Yakha) and Sani are more Combo guards with all sorts of tasks on the floor. Beno is the best PG more or less just becouse he is the only pure one we have (perhaps Capin).

angel_luv
02-22-2006, 06:25 AM
I really liked the Slovenian squad. I am excited about seeing them all play again.

I hope media zone has the same coverage they did last summer. That was too awesome. :)

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Some news from the FIBA Website (http://fiba.com/pages/en/index_en.asp?intro=0)

Shaq could play for Team USA???

http://fiba.com/pages/en/events/blockbusters/world_champ_men_06/article_World_Champ_Men.asp?r_act_news=11350&r_cat=8

20/02/2006
USA - Shaq considers Team USA invitation

Standings

HOUSTON (NBA) - Don’t look now, but Shaq and Kobe could be team-mates again on the grandest basketball stage of all, the FIBA World Championship.

With Kobe Bryant having volunteered for national team duty in Japan, his former Los Angeles Lakers team-mate Shaquille O’Neal, now of the Miami Heat, is mulling over an invitation.

The two had a feud before O’Neal left the Lakers, but recently made a very public show of putting their differences aside.

Jerry Colangelo, the managing director of USA Basketball’s men’s senior national team program, was at the NBA All-Star weekend in Houston.

According to a report in the Arizona Republic, Colangelo has 28 commitments for 22 spots and he is waiting on a decision from the 7ft 1in O'Neal.

"Shaq saw me in the elevator and said, I'll call you in a week or two," Colangelo said.
I said, "Shaq, there's always a spot for you."

The report also said the only non-NBA players who have a chance of travelling to Japan are Duke's JJ Redick, Gonzaga's Adam Morrison and Ohio State-bound high school star Greg Oden.

USA Basketball has not yet confirmed the precise date for the announcement of the team roster.

The draw for the FIBA World Championship was very kind to Team USA as they are in Group D along with Puerto Rico and Italy, who needed wild cards for the event, as well as China, Senegal and Slovenia.

The United States bowed out of the FIBA World Championship 2002 in Indianapolis at the quarter-final stage and two years later lost three times at the Olympics before settling for bronze.

Last year, a team which consisted largely of journey professionals from leagues overseas finished fourth at the FIBA Americas Championship to qualify for the FIBA World Championship.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-22-2006, 07:49 AM
http://fiba.com/pages/en/events/blockbusters/world_champ_men_06/article_World_Champ_Men.asp?cookietest=done&r_act_news=11365&r_cat=8

21/02/2006
GER - Schultze eager to wear Germany jersey again

FORLI (FIBA World Championship) - The FIBA World Championship in Japan can't come soon enough for German international Sven Schultze.

A 2.08m power forward renowned for his work ethic at clubs like Bamberg, Alba Berlin and Bayer Giants Leverkusen in Germany, and now Armani Jeans Milano in Italy, Schultze is at the peak of his career.

He was a valuable reserve in the Germany side that captured silver at the EuroBasket last year in Belgrade and he is counting the days when he can represent his country again.

"I am really looking forward to going to Japan," Schultze said to PA Sport in Forli, Italy, where he played for Milano in the 2006 Coppa Italia at the weekend. "It will be my first World Championship and I am really excited. I didn't make it into the team in Indianapolis four years ago so for me, this competition will be even more special."

Germany won the bronze medal in Indiana in 2002. After a disappointing ninth place at EuroBasket 2003 in Sweden, good times returned for Germany in Belgrade last year. Schultze played in all of the games.

"We had a very successful tournament," he said. "We will have to wait (for Japan), but I will always remember it (Belgrade)."

As Germany discovered in Sweden, highs can be followed by lows. Expectations had soared for the country after Indianapolis but Dallas Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki was injured at the end of the NBA 2002-03 NBA campaign and did not arrive in Sweden fully fit.

As a result, the German team never found its rhythm, losing in the elimination round to an Italy side which was at the start of magical run to EuroBasket bronze, and then Olympic silver in 2004. Italy also beat Germany last year in Serbia & Montenegro in the opening game, but Schultze & Co were able to recover and did not lose again until the championship game against Greece.

By then, the Germans has already accomplished the first goal of qualifying for Japan. Many believe the draw for this year's tournament appears to be favourable for Germany. They are in a pool with Angola, Japan, New Zealand, Panama and Spain. Looks can be deceiving.

Angola failed to win a game at the Olympics in Greece, but they are the African champions and have a good mix of veterans and youth. New Zealand can beat any team in any competition if they hit form at the right time. They reached the semi-finals four years ago.

Germany beat Spain in the EuroBasket semi-final, but they did not have Pau Gasol and he will be in Japan. Panama are clearly a dangerous team as they showed by qualifying for the 24-team tournament at the FIBA Americas Championship.

"The World Championship is not an easy competition," he insisted. "We know we have to earn respect in every game. I think we have a highly competitive group and we will try to show the same determination and unity that we showed last summer."

The FIBA World Championship will grant the 27-year-old the opportunity to leave behind what has been a disappointing campaign so far with Milano, whom he joined at the end of the 2004-05 season. Milano, who are now guided by Serbo-Montenegrin great Aleksandar Ddjordjevic, have struggled to show the same form that saw them finish runners-up in the Lega A play-off finals last season to Climamio Fortitudo Bologna.

Despite the arrivals of Italian internationals Massimo Bulleri and Giacomo Galanda in the summer as well as former Argentina star Alejandro Montecchia earlier this year, Milano have failed to make much of an impact. They went into their final Euroleague game only needing a win to qualify for the Top 16 but lost and finished bottom of their group with just five triumphs and nine defeats.

At the weekend, they were eliminated from the Coppa Italia by would-be champions Carpisa Napoli in the quarter-final stages.

"It has been a strange season for us," said Schultze, now in his second season with Milano. "We almost progressed in the Euroleague but fortune wasn't on our side.

"Now we got kicked out of the Coppa Italia and we must focus all our energy on the Lega A."

Milano are seventh in the Lega A standings with 12 wins taken and eight defeats conceded.

"I think right now we are on right path with (coach) Sasha Djordjevic," Schultze said. "If we keep going like this, I think we have a good shot at going far and maybe to going to the final again."

Who knows? Maybe Schultze and Germany will be headed for another final later this year, too.

From Cindy Garcia-Bennett, PA Sport, Forli Exclusively for FIBA

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-22-2006, 07:49 AM
http://fiba.com/pages/en/events/blockbusters/world_champ_men_06/article_World_Champ_Men.asp?cookietest=done&r_act_news=11375&r_cat=8

VEN - Busy schedule for Venezuela

CARACAS (FIBA World Championship) - Venezuela will play in several tournaments in Europe and South America to get ready for the FIBA World Championship in Japan.

The Venezuelans are in a very difficult Group A with Olympic champions Argentina, EuroBasket bronze medalists France and two-time defending world champions Serbia & Montenegro.

But they will like their chances of advancing from the initial stage with Lebanon and Nigeria also in the pool.

Carmelo Cortez, the president of the Venezuelan Basketball Federation (FVB), said of the team's tour: "Our intention is to get to that championship in the best possible form, as we want to be in the top 10 in Japan."

The players are to gather for the first time in Caracas on June 1 and 15 days later they will fly to Italy to play in two mini-tournaments against the Czech Republic, Lithuania, China, France and hosts Italy (June 20-22 and 25-27).

On July 10, the Venezuelans will return to Caracas to host the South American Championship and they will then take part in the Super Four tournament in Argentina (July 28-30) with New Zealand, Brazil and the host nation.

Venezuela will return to Europe to play in another four-team mini-tournament in Slovenia. The teams for that event have yet to be named.

Cortez added that Venezuela "expect to arrange friendlies with Spain and Greece before the South American Championship."

PA Sport

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-22-2006, 07:51 AM
http://fiba.com/pages/en/events/blockbusters/world_champ_men_06/article_World_Champ_Men.asp?cookietest=done&r_act_news=11374&r_cat=8

ARG - Prigioni shines in front of Argentina coach

MADRID (FIBA World Championship) - Tau Ceramica point guard Pablo Prigioni could not have picked a better time for an MVP performance in a basketball tournament.

Argentina coach Sergio Hernandez watched from the stands as Prigioni led Tau to Copa del Rey glory with the Vitoria side beating Pamesa 85-80 in the final. Now a starter after Jose Manuel Calderon's departure to the NBA's Toronto Raptors last summer, Prigioni had 15 assists in Sunday's game.

"Pablo's development is outstanding," said Hernandez. "I was very happy to see him play and without a doubt, he is fighting for a place at the World Championship. I remember when I used to coach in Liga Nacional side Regatas and he used to play for our neighbouring club, Belgrano.

"Pablo was a point guard who played as a shooting guard, he loved to score and liked to show off his value. Now he doesn't mind taking a shot in order to help the others play.
He doesn't get angry, he has great self-control and guides the team with a lot of intelligence."

Argentinian compatriot Luis Scola is already one of the top players in the world and is certain to travel to Japan. Hernandez marvelled at his performance.

"Scola is not only the captain but the absolute leader of this team," he said. "His winning attitude in the key moments of a game is contagious. "He is Tau's leader."

By PA Sport, Exclusively for FIBA

ARG - Argentina boss meeting foreign legion

BUENOS AIRES (FIBA World Championship 2006) - Argentina coach Sergio Hernandez has met with European-based players ahead of the FIBA World Championship to be played in Japan in August.

The coach has travelled to overseas to discuss his plans for the tournament with members of the Olympic gold medal-winning team.

"Up to now everything has gone as planned," said Hernandez to the Argentinian Basketball Confederation's (CABB) website, www.cabb.com.ar

So far Hernandez has spoken with Federico Kammerichs of Girona, Gran Canaria's Victor Baldo and Unicaja Malaga duo Juan Ignacio Sanchez and Walter Hermmann.

When asked about the results of these discussions, he said: "They are enthusiastic about being a part of this project.

"The players demonstrated to me that they want to play for the national team," he continued.

Hernandez is also set to hold talks with Hernan Jasen of Estudiantes and Tau Ceramica's Luis Scola and Pablo Prigioni.

The Argentina coach confirmed he will attend the Copa del Rey final in Madrid and said: "It will be good to watch players in a high-level competition."

From the final, Hernandez will move to Italy to will meet with Daniel Farabello, Gabriel Fernandez and Antonio Porta.

CABB vice-president German Vaccaro has revealed that Argentina's warm-up calendar ahead of the World Championship is almost finalised.

The preparation for World Championship will start immediately after the team returns from the South American Championship in Venezuela.

The team will compete in the Super Four tournament with New Zealand, Brazil and Venezuela, while another friendly in Buenos Aires is expected to be arranged.

Two friendlies in Spain follow, before the team moves to Singapore to take part in the Merlion Cup.

The squad plans to arrive in Japan on August 17, but it could be earlier if Argentina's management accept an invitation from the organisers to take part in a pre-tournament friendly.

However, Hernadez has insisted that his team do not compete in too many warm-up games prior to the tournament.

"We'll respect Hernandez's demand to not play more than eight or nine matches before the championship," said Vaccaro.

PA Sport

Dario
02-22-2006, 10:50 AM
"We'll respect Hernandez's demand to not play more than eight or nine matches before the championship," said Vaccaro.

There is a smart coach...

ploto
02-22-2006, 11:10 AM
More NBA Slovenians- yea! :elephant
When do these guys come over?
Don't know if Sani will ever come. The other two guys were just drafted last summer.

NZHayden
03-22-2006, 07:01 AM
hey hey hey howzit going?

Tonight at the commonwealth games the New Zealand Tall blacks, without Sean Marks or any of its european based players beat Nigeria, who I understand are going to the world champs, 90 - 66. They'll face Australia on Friday for the Gold Medal, best of luck to them.

heres a link (http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/686600)

Tall Blacks face Australia for gold
Mar 22, 2006

New Zealand have beaten Nigeria 90-66 in the men's basketball semifinal, meaning they will face Australia for the gold medal.

The Tall Blacks were not bothered by their African opponents as they remained unbeaten at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games.

Guard Aaron Olson contributed a game-high 25 points, while skipper Pero Cameron had 18 and Troy McLean nine.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Bump. Can't wait for this, need vendetta, I'm bloodthirsty!

Bring on Germany! Nocioni and Wolkowisky will teach Dirk* a lesson!

*=And maybe Tony too

TMTTRIO
05-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Hopefully it will get Manu into rhythm and give him some confidence for next season. I know this past summer was the first summer he took off and it totally took him out of rhythm and he ended up having a bad year with the injury situation and had no confidence.

velik_m
06-28-2006, 11:44 AM
bump.

i saw this on FIBA website:

Every week FIBA World Basketball spectators and fiba.com users can participate in the FIBA World Basketball Competition Draw to have a chance to win fantastic FIBA prizes and to be included in the Grand Draw which will offer an all expenses paid trip for two to the Final days of the FIBA World Championship in Japan.

The Grand Draw will take place few weeks before the tip off of the FIBA World Championship. All participant will be informed by email.

more here (http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/fan/fiba_worl_bask/fan_zone_fiba_worl_bask_main.asp?an_id=601&pn_id=178&)

Jules
06-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Serbia and Montenegro

Predrag Stojakovic (Pacers)

Slovenia

Sasha Vujacic (Lakers)

Am I missing someone (obviously Team USA, but all their players are from the NBA)? Who should be there for your country? Who shouldn't? Who are your favourites? :blah

Peja & Sasha have declined to play in the WC.