PDA

View Full Version : NBA admits refs goofed on Artest ejection.

Pooh
12-10-2003, 11:38 PM
The NBA has acknowledged an officiating error in Ron Artest's ejection from the Indiana Pacers' game in Sacramento on Sunday.

Artest was ejected with 3:31 left in the second period after picking up a questionable offensive foul. He was called for a technical for protesting the call and then referee Bob Delaney threw him out as Artest walked toward referee Ron Olesiak to discuss the matter.

Pacers president Larry Bird talked with Stu Jackson, the NBA's senior vice president of basketball operations, on Tuesday. Bird said Jackson apologized for the decision and expressed interest in calling Artest to congratulate him on his improved behavior this season.

Players are fined $500 for each technical foul. It was not known whether Artest will have to pay fines for both technicals.

"I'm hoping I don't pay for (the second technical)," Artest said. "The technical was a good call, but the ejection was a bad call."

God31
12-11-2003, 01:41 AM
Umm it would be dumb if they make Artest pay since they even said it was a mistake. But this is the greedy NBA who make you pay to LISTEN to games on the internet for gods sake.

But seriously, whats $500 to a NBA player? Esspicially a star like Artest?

That's like me doing something really bad at work and my boss telling me "Luke, you're fined $5" you think i'd argue? I'd check my pocket, give him the $5 and get over with it.

$500 to Artest is chump change.

Pooh
12-12-2003, 09:42 AM
True, however I think Artest sees now the value of all that money he lost last year in all of those flagrants he picked up.

It must be nice just plop down $500 like it's a few bucks.

Props to the NBA office for at least realizing their refs made a bonehead mistake. Hope they show some more nads by not fining him.