PDA

View Full Version : esurance.com is CRAP.

ObiwanGinobili
02-06-2006, 10:37 AM
So i 'm tooling around the world wide web getting insurance quotes for my new car.

(yeah! I'll have it in 2 sundays, we have to replace the passengers side doors)

anyway. so I see the nifty keen esurance cartoon commercial on TV and figure I'll give it a try.
holeee fucking shit!! That crap is expensive as all get out!!!
I'm insuring 2 drivers i nthier mid/late 20's with no tickets and no accidents.
I want liability only.
guess what esurance gives me?? $711 for 6 months :wow :wow :flipoff

and just so you can see how ridicules this quote is- here is what I got form other companies: (all for 6 months liability only)

safeco - $434
AIG - $436
encompass - $306
Geico - $147.

obviously I'll be going with Geico..... but my point is :

esurance is a scam!

ok. i feel better now.

Marklar MM
02-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Maybe the little cartoon babe is real. :)

SpursWoman
02-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Try Progressive too, if you haven't already. That Geico looks about as low as you can possibly hope for...but I'd just check it out anyway...Progessive for me was a lot lower than Geico.

Trainwreck2100
02-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Never trust a company with crappy commercials. As a metaphor I will give you this example. If a girl doesn't take care of her face, she probably doesn't take care of down there. So hitting it may end up being a little nasty. If a company doesn't put effort into representing itself, than the service may be crappy as well.

SpursWoman
02-06-2006, 03:36 PM
I like Progressive's commercials. :lol

Geiko's irritate the hell out of me, but when I actually was covered by their insurance and was involved in an accident they were very helpful and easy to work with. :)

State Farm's was outrageous ... even with my home owner's insurance with them and the discount I'd get on auto, they were still waaaaay higher than Geiko or Progressive.

Trainwreck2100
02-06-2006, 03:37 PM
I like Progressive's commercials. :lol

Geiko's irritate the hell out of me, but when I actually was covered by their insurance and was involved in an accident they were very helpful and easy to work with. :)

I was talking about that esurance crap.

SpursWoman
02-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Oh...yeah. Those are seriously stupid. :oops :lol

ObiwanGinobili
02-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Try Progressive too, if you haven't already. That Geico looks about as low as you can possibly hope for...but I'd just check it out anyway...Progessive for me was a lot lower than Geico.

Progressive was $356. not bad really.
but Geico is hitting it way outta the park here with that $147. I can;t pass that up.... just as a lark I went back to Geico and did a quote for Comp&Coll too and it was still only $340 for 6 months. :fro

but I'm so cheap I'm still just getting the liability.
if we crash this car there is noway I'm gonna want it back after it's fixed. :lol

I had Progressive ins. once when I was in a naccident- they were awesome! ... although alamo toyota serious sucked ass. NEVER go there.

SpursWoman
02-06-2006, 03:52 PM
alamo toyota serious sucked ass. NEVER go there..

But they are 1/4 a mile away from my house and service is open until midnight! :lol

My dad bought me a car there when I was in high school....the salesman was hottt. :drunk

ShoogarBear
02-06-2006, 04:13 PM
safeco - $434
AIG - $436
encompass - $306
Geico - $147.

So . . . you have great news?

ObiwanGinobili
02-06-2006, 04:17 PM
So . . . you have great news?

:lol
yes.
yes I do.

proof is in the pudding. at least we know Geico's commercials arn't full of crap.

ObiwanGinobili
02-06-2006, 04:28 PM

But they are 1/4 a mile away from my house and service is open until midnight! :lol

My dad bought me a car there when I was in high school....the salesman was hottt. :drunk

we were in a wreck over by sam houston years ago before we lived in SA. Now emo was/is a bodyman and fixing cars is his life - he would've done it himself but in the confusion after the accident we forgot that the Ins. would pay for towing (168 miles away). So we had our 4Runner taken to Alamo & put in the hands of strangers.

now even KNOWING that my husband was a certified pro with more years experiance then 1/2 the wannavbe's in thier shop they still signed off on the work and gave us back a peice of crap.
1. the left burns in my carpet.
2. failed to paint interior of wheel housing - exposed metal under the hood.
3. hood sat cockeyed
4. installed heat sheild backwards and when i drove it home (168 miles) it took my brakes right off. ( freaking 11pm @ night on the side of thefrigging road)
5. they stole my spare tire, my lock lugs, & my jack (standard equipment for the vehichle)
6. oversprayed clearcoat alllll over the car. on the windows, bumpers, roofrack... everywhere.

they ended up having to pay for a rental nad pay my husbands shop to re-do it thright way. Emo got paid to work on his own car. :smokin that part was sweet.

tlongII
02-06-2006, 04:59 PM
That Geico price seems too good to be true. Are all those quotes for liability only? Is there a difference on the deductible? I just can't believe it's that much cheaper for the same coverage...

ObiwanGinobili
02-06-2006, 05:21 PM
That Geico price seems too good to be true. Are all those quotes for liability only? Is there a difference on the deductible? I just can't believe it's that much cheaper for the same coverage...

they are all for liability only so there is no deductable.

the deductable on the $346 comp&coll estimate from Geico was $500.

Marklar MM
02-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Can't go wrong with the Gecko.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-06-2006, 05:31 PM
If a girl doesn't take care of her face, she probably doesn't take care of down there. So hitting it may end up being a little nasty.

The question begs asking: How do you know that?

Trainwreck2100
02-06-2006, 07:20 PM
The question begs asking: How do you know that?

Trainwreck is a confidant to many.

Kori Ellis
02-06-2006, 07:25 PM

Yeah that Geico quote seems way too low. I know that they are usually cheaper, but make sure they aren't writing it through an offshore company that won't pay.

ObiwanGinobili
02-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Update.

yes it was only $147. I paid for it yesterday.
It is thru Geico in California.
Customer Service was beyond compare. :tu :tu :tu
It's so cheap because we got major discounts for:
2 drivers 5 years no accidents
2 drivers 5 years no tickets
2 drivers 5 years no Comp claims
Anti-lock brakes
Single payment discount.

:spin :spin
darn I'm happy.

When we had full cov. on hte 4-runner we were paying $160 a month.. and now I'm paying less then that for 6 months total. :) yeah. (liability only)

sa_butta
02-13-2006, 12:29 PM
What kind of car did you wind up getting?

ObiwanGinobili
02-13-2006, 12:57 PM
'97 626 5spd.

sa_butta
02-13-2006, 01:19 PM
'97 626 5spd.OH ok I thought you were going with the honda. Those are still nice though.
Enjoy your new ride.

MI21
02-13-2006, 10:35 PM
What do 97' Mazda 626's look like?

Not sure if they were released in Australia..

ObiwanGinobili
02-14-2006, 01:47 PM
OH ok I thought you were going with the honda. Those are still nice though.
Enjoy your new ride.

We looked at 2 hondas.
One had mis-matched vin's. :nope
And the other sold right out form under us because he got offered more than he was asking. :rolleyes

this car was actually my 4th coice - but I still <3 it.
drove it around all afternoon & night yesterday. It rocked. :fro

ObiwanGinobili
02-14-2006, 01:52 PM
What do 97' Mazda 626's look like?

Not sure if they were released in Australia..
http://www.domesticity.net/home/ChipsPages/images/mazda626.jpg

MI21
02-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Ahhh ok recognise them now. Mazda's are a good drive.

RandomGuy
02-15-2006, 08:25 PM
WTF????

I got a quote from them and got $117 per month for my wife and myself on our ONE car with a thousand dollar deductable and minimum insurance.

We pay geico $45 per month now.

I will be getting a job with the Texas Department of Insurance (watchdog agency for the state of texas that provides oversight of the insurance industry) soon, so maybe I might be able to figure out what the difference is.

I would guess that since esurance is relatively new that they are having to build up financial reserves. Larger, more mature companies have already built up reserves of investments to pay claims.

(update)

I found out that insurance companies often use credit reports to assign risk (i.e. how much they will charge in premiums).

I also had little problem finding a huge number of complaints from various sources about them.

http://www.rateitall.com/i-26293-esurance.aspx

I wouldn't buy insurance from them.

RandomGuy
02-15-2006, 08:38 PM
http://www.insurancejournal.com/magazines/west/2000/10/02/features/22549.htm

it is a bit old, but I think it explains some of why they suck: a new, fast growing company whose culture doesn't seem to value customer service. when it comes to claims.

I reviewed their website, and as a business (accounting) student was struck at what they DIDN'T say.

They did say:
"we want to make things simple and affordable"

They didn't say:
"We will resolve your claims quickly"
"we will solve any problems you have with us quickly or professionally".

The complaints in the link at the top of the post would seem to support this thesis.

It is a fast growing company with a LOT of growing pains. Buying insurance from them is a bit like rushing out and buying a model of car in it's first year of production: you will get something new and exciting, but it is untested and will have some hidden design flaws that will get you later.