PDA

View Full Version : Suns vs Wolves:KG's block on Marion controversy

milkyway21
02-07-2006, 02:09 AM
...was it a block or a goaltending?

T-Wolves finally beat Suns
Associated Press
Posted: 56 minutes ago

PHOENIX (AP) - In the NBA, one man's blocked shot can be another man's goaltending.

Such was the case when Kevin Garnett blocked Shawn Marion's short jumper at the buzzer to preserve the Minnesota Timberwolves' 103-101 victory over the Phoenix Suns on Monday night.
"That was a good block," Garnett told reporters. "I mean, you all saw what you saw, but as soon as it left his hand I got it, you know. I'm sitting right here in front of you all with a win."

The Suns complained vehemently that it was goaltending, but to no avail, and Minnesota had its first victory in five tries against Phoenix.

"I feel like the Seattle Seahawks," said Steve Nash, referring to what the Seahawks felt were bad calls by officials in Sunday's Super Bowl :rolleyes . "It's remarkable. There's like five games this year where we've not gotten a call in the last 30 seconds. After awhile, you realize you don't get those games back, and it's tough to take."

Garnett scored Minnesota's last five points to finish with 19, but missed the second of two free throws with 14.6 seconds to go.

Nash got the ball inside to Marion who went up for what would have been a tying basket from about 8 feet, and Garnett soared to knock it down.

"It's irrelevant right now," Marion said of the non-call. "We shouldn't have been in that situation. It shouldn't have gone down to the wire like that. That's what happens sometimes when you put it in someone else's hands."

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni was less charitable. He said he had reviewed the play "about five times."

"But it is what it is," he said. "I guess on our viewpoint we've got to win by 10, so it's our fault."

Minnesota coach Dwayne Casey countered, "I thought it was a clean block at the end."

Nash matched his season high with 31 points, including going 11-of-11 from the free throw line. Marion had 14 points, 12 rebounds and a career-high eight steals in a game that featured 41 turnovers, 24 by Minnesota.

Marcus Banks also had 19 points for the Timberwolves, while Ricky Davis had 18, Trenton Hassell 15 and Rashad McCants 14. Minnesota shot 57 percent from the field, the highest against Phoenix this season.

"We blew some opportunities, looked like we were a little tight," D'Antoni said. "We just didn't play loose. I mean, this one is tough to swallow."

Raja Bell scored 19 points for the Suns, while Boris Diaw added 14 and Leandro Barbosa 10.

Minnesota had lost eight of 10.

"This is a huge win," Garnett said. "We needed it more than they did and went out and played that way."

Banks' 19-footer with 2:14 left put the Timberwolves ahead 98-94, then Diaw scored inside to cut it to 98-96 with 1:56 left. Garnett's 14-foot turnaround jumper made it 100-96. The teams traded misses, then Diaw hit a 3-pointer from the corner with 51 seconds left to cut it to 100-99.

It was Diaw's fourth 3-pointer in 16 tries this season and his first since Nov. 22.

Garnett followed with a 13-footer to make it 102-99, then Nash made a driving layup to cut it to 102-101. That's when Garnett was fouled and made one of two.

Phoenix outscored the Timberwolves 20-8 over the final 7 minutes of the third quarter to go up 80-74. Banks' 3-pointer with 8:44 left put the Timberwolves up 86-85 and neither team led by more than four points after that.

Minnesota shot 63 percent in the first half, 72 percent (13-for-18) in the second quarter, but led only 54-52 at the break.

Notes:
Bell and Garnett drew technical fouls for clapping in each other's face after Garnett was called for a foul. ... Diaw scored a career-high 31 at Minnesota on Dec. 26. ... Phoenix topped 100 points for the 11th straight game. ... Marion had six steals in the first half. ... The four players acquired by the Timberwolves in the trade with Boston scored 44 points.

------------------

thoughts?

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2006, 02:22 AM
cry me a river, this guy is always complaining

missmyzte
02-07-2006, 02:25 AM
"It's irrelevant right now," Marion said of the non-call. "We shouldn't have been in that situation. It shouldn't have gone down to the wire like that. That's what happens sometimes when you put it in someone else's hands."
Good response by Marion

Obstructed_View
02-07-2006, 02:44 AM
The Seattle Seahawks got beat because they suck. The Suns got beat by a sucky team because they happened to suck enough to lose.

Winnipeg_Spur
02-07-2006, 02:47 AM
"I feel like the Seattle Seahawks," said Steve Nash, referring to what the Seahawks felt were bad calls by officials in Sunday's Super Bowl. "It's remarkable. There's like five games this year where we've not gotten a call in the last 30 seconds. After awhile, you realize you don't get those games back, and it's tough to take."

Wow, I didn't expect that from Nash, I thought he was bigger than that (and that Seahawks reference is pretty stupid as well). Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure the Suns won a game last year when Amare goaltended a shot at the buzzer, so turnabout is fair play. :smokin

Trainwreck2100
02-07-2006, 02:48 AM
Ironic considering the controversy behind Amare's block in the WCF.

Obstructed_View
02-07-2006, 02:56 AM
Wow, I didn't expect that from Nash, I thought he was bigger than that

Interesting. I've never known him to do or say anything to imply that he was particularly classy.

Mr. Body
02-07-2006, 03:09 AM
Man, you guys are assholes. Nash has plenty of class.

milkyway21
02-07-2006, 03:40 AM
"I feel like the Seattle Seahawks," said Steve Nash, referring to what the Seahawks felt were bad calls by officials in Sunday's Super Bowl

...i'd like to see what the officials in the Super Bowl got to say regarding this one :D.

Brutalis
02-07-2006, 03:57 AM
Wow, Suns are crying ass bitches STILL. Geez.

Brutalis
02-07-2006, 04:02 AM
On the replay Marion was clearly going glass and shot high, was a good block but close to being GT.

milkyway21
02-07-2006, 04:04 AM
On the replay Marion was clearly going glass and shot high, was a good block but close to being GT.so it was a clean block?

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/basketball/nba/02/06/bc.bkn.timberwolves.suns.ap/p1_garnett-ap.jpg

Brutalis
02-07-2006, 06:58 AM
so it was a clean block?

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/basketball/nba/02/06/bc.bkn.timberwolves.suns.ap/p1_garnett-ap.jpg
Yeah the ref made the right call by not calling anything at all.

101A
02-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Reading that recap of the last few minutes....nice the see the Suns tighten up that D this year.

leemajors
02-07-2006, 09:18 AM
it was really really close to being goaltending, but you can't call a goaltend on something that close at the end of a game.

Walton Buys Off Me
02-07-2006, 09:51 AM
The Suns seem to bitch a hell of a lot for a mediocre team.

Was it the refs' fault you were on the receiving end of a chin omelet in last year's WCF?

FromWayDowntown
02-07-2006, 09:55 AM
It's ridiculous. Even if there wasn't controversy in the WCF, the Suns won a game in Sacramento last year when Stoudemire made almost the exact same play on a shot by Brad Miller at the buzzer. Of course, back then, the Suns defended the call . . . .

BigVee
02-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Suns fan = goaltending.....Wolves fan = good block...it was borderline.

The_Game
02-07-2006, 10:32 AM
The Suns seem to bitch a hell of a lot for a mediocre team.

Was it the refs' fault you were on the receiving end of a chin omelet in last year's WCF?

so the team with the 4th best record in the league is mediocre? you're a moron.

101A
02-07-2006, 10:56 AM
so the team with the 4th best record in the league is mediocre? you're a moron.

I also agree they are mediocre, there are just alot of really bad ones.

SoCalSpursFan
02-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Usually, when a ball is blocked as hard as that one was...it is goaltending...

KG blocked that ball into the 2nd row from the middle of the key...

Players should know the refs don't make iffy calls in the last few seconds, not usually at least. Marion had the right idea when he said they shouldn't have been in that position. They were at home, and the Wolves are not THAT tough of a team. Don't allow every team you play to score 100+ points and you might have a better chance of winning every game.

Just my opinion.

Walton Buys Off Me
02-07-2006, 11:08 AM
In case you haven't noticed, the NBA has the biggest gap between elite and good/mediocre teams in ANY sport. In football, the Super Bowl is a battle between eight-nine teams, hockey the same. In basketball, either Detroit or San Antonio will win- what does that say about the league?

The Suns are mediocre- their record means nothing other than Steve Nash is the MVP of this league without a doubt.

Where Mike D'Antoni gets his sense of entitlement from, I'll never know.

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2006, 11:10 AM
seriously the suns are a shit team, no offense to any sons fans, u know it too. Dont even think u can hang around the spurs left nuts cose ur team are pretenders, Even with amare back, the spurs will sweep you guys.

boutons_
02-07-2006, 11:32 AM
"Wolves are not THAT tough of a team"

What? the Wolves are on a roll!

22 -25 overall
8-17 on the road,
5 slots out of 8th seed.

The Suns didn't have prayer. :)

GoSpurs21
02-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Man, you guys are assholes. Nash has plenty of class.Nash has never displayed anything but a whiny bitch on the court and in the locker room. Just ask AJ.

Nash is like one of those assholes who can dish it out but cant take it so he crys like a little bitch. Even though he is a great player he is too much of a whiny bitch to be consided classy

Vingianx
02-07-2006, 12:22 PM
It could have gone either way...

Nashfan
02-07-2006, 12:32 PM
You have got to be kidding me in regards to the Phoenix Suns being a whiny, complaining team. Have you ever watched your own players, such as Manu, Tony and even Tim Duncan complaining to the refs on quite a few occassions? That is a low blow to say the Suns players and coach complain. They hardly ever say anything, especially to the media. We have been given bad calls in a few games this year, such as against New York if any of you watched that game. Yes, last night our team should not have let themselves get into the situation they did. They did not play hard and played down to the Timberwolves so they deserved to lose but you can't possible say they are whiny! Also they are not a mediocre team by any means. They are winning this year without Amare and having basically a whole new team. I would like to see your team do well without your star, Tim Duncan. So be fair, they are a pretty decent team considering all the changes and the injury to Amare.

GoSpurs21
02-07-2006, 12:53 PM
You have got to be kidding me in regards to the Phoenix Suns being a whiny, complaining team. Have you ever watched your own players, such as Manu, Tony and even Tim Duncan complaining to the refs on quite a few occassions? That is a low blow to say the Suns players and coach complain. They hardly ever say anything, especially to the media. We have been given bad calls in a few games this year, such as against New York if any of you watched that game. Yes, last night our team should not have let themselves get into the situation they did. yes I have, and while the Spurs may complain on occasion, its nothing compared to the constant whining that Nash and coach D do. Nash just brought over was he was taught by Mark Cuban to the suns.

Yea, they have a great team, but they take away from it by constanting whining.

Nashfan
02-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Please give me links or proof to where you have seen Nash and our coach whine a lot.

101A
02-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Please give me links or proof to where you have seen Nash and our coach whine a lot.

Quoting SpursTalk Regulations Chapter 9, Paragraph 4, Sections G - K

A Spurs fan made an accusation - opposed by a Suns fan.

This is a Spurs fan site - therefore, the Spur's fan's opinion is fact unless proven beyond any shadow of doubt to be inaccurate.

Therefore the burden of proof is on Sun's fan.

leemajors
02-07-2006, 01:07 PM
spurs players and coaches do not complain about calls after a game.

101A
02-07-2006, 01:09 PM
BTW.

Sun's conference record is 15-12.

They are getting fat on the East (16-5).

They ARE mediocre.

JMarkJohns
02-07-2006, 01:15 PM
BTW.

Sun's conference record is 15-12.

They are getting fat on the East (16-5).

They ARE mediocre.

They beat the Spurs, no? :rolleyes

Anyway, as for the block, it looked clean. Nash needs to shutup. As Marion alluded to, good teams don't allow themselves to be in a position where one bad call can steal the game from them.

Not that I think it was a bad call, because I don't. But it's not really similer to any of the blocks the Suns had last year. Closest in controversy is the WCF block, but this was settled then. As for Amare's block on Miller last season, that was as clean a block as you'll see, same with Marion's on Dirk.

Garnett leaped a tall building in a single bound to reach Marion's attempt last night. In my eye, he got it at its peak, not on its way down.

leemajors
02-07-2006, 01:16 PM
i thought it was a good no call, but really close. there would have been more heated comments if it had been called a goaltend.

JMarkJohns
02-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Quoting SpursTalk Regulations Chapter 9, Paragraph 4, Sections G - K

A Spurs fan made an accusation - opposed by a Suns fan.

This is a Spurs fan site - therefore, the Spur's fan's opinion is fact unless proven beyond any shadow of doubt to be inaccurate.

Therefore the burden of proof is on Sun's fan.

LMAO... let's all celebrate justified ignorance then!!! :elephant

The burden of responsibility to back up a claim is always on he who made the claim. If he chooses not to, or fails, then he clearly and blatently lied.

I've been proven wrong here on occasion while also proving my fair share of Spurs fans wrong. Still, if you want a quality site where fact-based opinions not just unquenched homerism abound, then take responsibility for yourself.

I'd never seen so much complaining about a call as that block Amare had on Duncan in the Western Conference Finals. Not as much from the coaches and players (though it was implied), but from the "To good to whine" fans here.

Solid D
02-07-2006, 01:20 PM
In case you haven't noticed, the NBA has the biggest gap between elite and good/mediocre teams in ANY sport. In football, the Super Bowl is a battle between eight-nine teams, hockey the same. In basketball, either Detroit or San Antonio will win- what does that say about the league?

The Suns are mediocre- their record means nothing other than Steve Nash is the MVP of this league without a doubt.

Where Mike D'Antoni gets his sense of entitlement from, I'll never know.

What a load of bunk. The Suns are a tough match for any team. The Spurs yearn for a long SF and the Suns have...well that's just about all they are is long wing players. Defensively, this year they defend the arc, they limit other teams' assists by closing out well...they fill passing lanes with active hands, they get back in transition (particularly with Diaw, Marion and Bell on the floor at the same time). Nash is weak defensively but their 3 new additions to the starting lineup have made them much better overall. Offensively, they shoot the 3 well and they run uptempo. Give me a break, mediocre?

SirChaz
02-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Marion said it best.

"It's irrelevant right now, we shouldn't have been in that situation. It shouldn't have gone down to the wire like that. That's what happens sometimes when you put it in someone else's hands."

From the camera on the opposite side of the court it was pretty clear. It was close but no goaltend should have been called.
The Suns played like crap last night and got beat.

I think Nash's frustration has built up from losing some other games that they should have won.

101A
02-07-2006, 01:44 PM
They beat the Spurs, no? :rolleyes

So did Atlanta, New Orleans, Milwaukee, et al.

Spurs don't get up for mediocre teams.

Nashfan
02-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Spurs players complain about calls during the game. You made the accusation about Nash and Coach D so you should provide the proof not me! I haven't seen any evidence of their complaining constantly as you remarked. :rolleyes

AZLouis
02-07-2006, 01:59 PM
The block was clean. Without the ability to see an instant replay over and over, Nash and D'Antoni along with a few others complained and griped on the court and apparently into the locker room. Who knows at that point if they even saw more replays.

Regardless, Marion is right on, they shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. The call could've gone either way because it was so close, but the right call was made.

The Suns have the same problem of not getting focused for mediocre to lower teams either. They drop 47 on the Heat in the first quarter and then some guy from the non-playoff contending teams have the best game of their lives (ie the Kings game) and beat the Suns.

The Suns have been frustrated for awhile. Recently both Nash and Marion have given postgame interviews criticizing the team heavily. Marion's was profanity laced. He even gave an interview saying it su**s to not be able to allow all of his talents to be showcased.

But either way, the Suns aren't a mediocre team as stated above. Their record proves so. Not to mention their accomplishments all being done without Amare.

Obstructed_View
02-07-2006, 06:57 PM
LMAO... let's all celebrate justified ignorance then!!! :elephant

The burden of responsibility to back up a claim is always on he who made the claim. If he chooses not to, or fails, then he clearly and blatently lied.

I've been proven wrong here on occasion while also proving my fair share of Spurs fans wrong. Still, if you want a quality site where fact-based opinions not just unquenched homerism abound, then take responsibility for yourself.

I'd never seen so much complaining about a call as that block Amare had on Duncan in the Western Conference Finals. Not as much from the coaches and players (though it was implied), but from the "To good to whine" fans here.
You guys aren't very good Suns fans if you don't realize that your fans and your team are whiners. It's been that way since Barkley and KJ (and Nash)were there. Nash was that way when he was with the Mavericks, one of the whiniest organizations ever.

"I feel like the Seattle Seahawks," said Steve Nash. The complete lack of football knowledge aside, he thinks he was rooked by what looked like (upon replay after replay after replay) a good no-call?

There were complaints about Amare's block, but as you mentioned, none from the players or coaches, because they knew it was, at best, a clean block, and at worst, a minor non-call. The Suns fans complained louder about Manu falling into Leandro Barbosa than the Spurs fans complained about that block.

exstatic
02-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Nash? Not usually, but Mike D'entures is the bitch whiner of the league, behind only George Karl.

exstatic
02-07-2006, 07:13 PM
My question doesn't relate to the validity of the block, my question is why would you have Marion take a last shot? I'd rather have Nash shoot, double covered.

doldrums
02-07-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm sure their overly homerish sportscaster Ernie Johnson saw it as goaltending. Nash should have let Ernie do the complaining, he's better at it. Oh by the way guys, Suns are winning without Amare, enough said, give them props.

Obstructed_View
02-07-2006, 07:23 PM
My question doesn't relate to the validity of the block, my question is why would you have Marion take a last shot? I'd rather have Nash shoot, double covered.
That would be why you aren't a coach. Marion is one of the best players in the league.

grjr
02-07-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm sure their overly homerish sportscaster Ernie Johnson saw it as goaltending. Nash should have let Ernie do the complaining, he's better at it. Oh by the way guys, Suns are winning without Amare, enough said, give them props.

Inhd had the game on last night and replayed it today so I recorded it. After watching all the replays it was a good block. Garnett hit it .3 of a second after it was released. It wasn't still going up but it wasn't going down either.

Even Homer Dan Majerle said, "That was a heck of a block" after watching all the replays so you know it wasn't goaltending.

exstatic
02-07-2006, 07:52 PM
That would be why you aren't a coach. Marion is one of the best players in the league.

Marion is an excellent rebounder and a good defender. Beyond that, he's overrated. He couldn't create a BM without help. I had to laugh at the cnnsi article on him holding back his O game for the team. He's a system player, being spoonfed first by Kidd, then by Starbury, then by Nash.

He's James Posey in a consistant organization.

FromWayDowntown
02-07-2006, 07:59 PM

I think you mean Eddie Johnson who is a former NBA player and not Ernie Johnson who is the studio host on TNT.

Solid D
02-07-2006, 08:01 PM
He's James Posey in a consistant organization.

:lol

(I never think of Mr. Anderson "The One" when I watch James Posey...hmmm)

JMarkJohns
02-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Obstructed View, I believe I said Nash needed to shut up. I've conceded that Phoenix and its media is prone to whine.

I've done it myself, but mostly just in the face of overwelming bias here.

You know, like when Spurs fans call Barbosa a whiny little bitch for expressing some frustration of possibly having his season ended because Manu intentionally flopped, accidentally (blowing out, at the time) Barbosa's knee.

A lot of people here whine and then whine about all the whining.

Spurologist
02-07-2006, 08:13 PM
The call could have gone either way. Nash has no business comparing it to the superbowl because it doesn't carry the same weight in terms of significance. It's one call not ten calls. Plenty more games left in the season. I thought the suns only save their bitching for the playoffs.

mrpach
02-07-2006, 08:20 PM
its ok to complain to the refs in the game, i mean refs can make mistakes right?
the problem is when players use the media to put pressure on the refs (ray allen on bruce) instead of trying to change the callings with their game.
-when bruce was acussed of being dirty he only said he was going to defend showing his hands, moving his feet, to prove them wrong-
nash is trying at some level to make sure that if the situation repeats, the call will go in his favor

Nashfan
02-07-2006, 08:43 PM
MrPache, like the Spurs coach doesn't do this every game?

Tek_XX
02-07-2006, 08:44 PM
It was definitly goal tending, wasn't really that close.

Nashfan
02-07-2006, 08:52 PM
No, exstatic your coach for the Spurs wins that award!

Nashfan
02-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Doldrum, I appreciate your compliment on the Suns team's efforts without Amare but you might want to listen to Sean Elliot broadcast your games before you point the finger at Eddie Johnson as being homerish.

exstatic
02-07-2006, 09:14 PM
No, exstatic your coach for the Spurs wins that award!
If you can find me one quote where he complains about officiating or find a video clip, I'll eat my hat. When the game is over, the Spurs and their coaching staff leave it on the floor. The Suns, apparently, are just getting started.

exstatic
02-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Doldrum, I appreciate your compliment on the Suns team's efforts without Amare but you might want to listen to Sean Elliot broadcast your games before you point the finger at Eddie Johnson as being homerish.

Our PBP guys are homers, but the only thing Sean is homerish about is his incessant pimping of all things University of Arizona. He likes the Spurs and has close and longstanding ties with the organization, but he'll admit bad calls or missed calls, and laud good no calls, all in either direction.

Nashfan
02-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Exstatic, he rides the refs throughout the games all the time. Watch you own games. He gets away with a lot concerning the refs. Every once in a while he gets a tech for this but very rarely.

exstatic
02-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Exstatic, he rides the refs throughout the games all the time. Watch you own games. He gets away with a lot concerning the refs. Every once in a while he gets a tech for this but very rarely.

Every coach and major player on every team lobbies the refs during the game, without exception. Some can let it go when the game is over. Most can't. The Spurs and their staff are among those who can.

GoSpurs21
02-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Exstatic, he rides the refs throughout the games all the time. Watch you own games. He gets away with a lot concerning the refs. Every once in a while he gets a tech for this but very rarely.the point being, that Pop doesnt whine about calls after the game like your precious suns do. It's the coaches job to argue calls during the game, but not every single fucking play like the suns. Face it suns fans all you pointless whining on this forum carries very little weight. Go back to your own forum if you're so interested in people that blindly agree with you.

Horry For 3!
02-07-2006, 10:06 PM
I was watching the game on NBATV and it was a good block.

SirChaz
02-08-2006, 11:32 AM

LMAO!

Ernie Johnson works for TNT.

Obstructed_View
02-08-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm a homer and have no objectivity.

Another Great Highlight By The League's Top Role Player!!!

Fixed it for ya.

N4th4n
02-08-2006, 09:07 PM
So did Atlanta, New Orleans, Milwaukee, et al.

Spurs don't get up for mediocre teams.

0-2 vs the pistons this year. You dont get up for good teams. You dont get up for mediocre teams. So who do you get up for?

SequSpur
02-08-2006, 10:12 PM
stupid topic in the spurs forum.

LilMissSPURfect
02-08-2006, 10:25 PM
0-2 vs the pistons this year. You dont get up for good teams. You dont get up for mediocre teams. So who do you get up for?

CHAMPIONSHIPS BABY!!!!!!! :fro

N4th4n
02-08-2006, 10:32 PM
[/B]

CHAMPIONSHIPS BABY!!!!!!! :fro

pssshhaah those dont count :spin

milkyway21
02-09-2006, 12:47 AM
stupid topic in the spurs forum.
coming from someone who started topics such as "Spurs got the Game" then started with such posts as "that's all" :fro or ;

"Direct TV-WTF"

you know i don't really understand why a friendly Slomo actually likes you but to me you are the MOST CRUEL SPURS FAN IN THIS FORUM. You are cruel to Manu and to Rasho. And to everybody who posted comments on this thread. A lot of people talked & debated about this topic on some sites and the Spurs were on vacation, i thought it was worth the time to talk about something I didn't understand about a game.

if you have nothing to say then, :stfu

:cuss :cuss :cuss

sickdsm
02-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Very close, i'd say you'd have to make it a no call otherwise in the course of the game i'd lean to a Goaltend.

KG has said for years that the lack of foul calls on the offensive end don't bother him because he gets the lack of whistle on the defensive end.

I'd agree with him.