PDA

View Full Version : Rick Kamla: ASG reserves

polandprzem
02-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Yup- no Tony.

http://www.nba.com/fantasy/livingthefantasy_060204.html

Western Conference All-Star Reserves

6 - Shawn Marion, Suns - (8-cat rank: first): The Fantasy MVP at the halfway point is the first reserve on the Western Conference All-Star team. When chosen this year, it'll be Marion's third All-Star appearance in the last four years (and yes, he was snubbed the year he didn't make it.)

Marion is the No. 1 fantasy player (as pointed out by Bill Walton during last Sunday's Suns-Cavs game) on the strength of 21.5 points, 11.9 rebounds, 2.0 blocks, 1.9 steals, 1.1 threes, and 51 percent shooting. The fans may never vote him to the starting lineup, but it's a good thing the coaches know what the fantasy world has known all along.

7 - Kevin Garnett, Timberwolves - (tie-third): Garnett, like LeBron, has come up mostly empty in the clutch this season, but, like LeBron, the numbers are phenomenal once again. The assists are currently 4.5 for KG, but there's still time to get that average back to five for a seventh straight season with at least 20 points, 10 rebounds, and five assists. KG's well over a block (1.4) and a steal (1.2) and his .534 field goal percentage is the best of his career.

8 - Elton Brand, Clippers - (tie-third): That's right, freaks, EB is tied with KG. How about that? And how fantasy-friendly is the Western Conference? With Matrix, KG, King Kobe, Brand, and Nash, the West sports five of the top seven fantasy players. Brand, who was probably the Reality MVP for November, really hasn't slowed down, as his stratospherical ranking attests.

Not unlike Garnett, Brand helps in every category but threes, styling 5-cat and 8-cat owners with 24.5 points, 10.5 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 2.6 blocks, 0.9 steals, 52 percent from the floor, and 77 percent from the stripe. Brand has made the All-Star team only once, as a replacement pick by commissioner David Stern, but the coaches will beat Stern to the punch this year.

9 - Ray Allen, SuperSonics - (10th): Is there a cooler customer in the NBA than Walter Ray Allen? His name is cool. His nickname, Jesus Shuttlesworth, is cooler. But his stats are coolest of all, ranking him into the end of the first round in 12-team leagues. (I just took a break from writing this to offer Carmelo Anthony for Ray-Ray straight up. We'll see...)

After averaging a career-high 23.9 ppg last season, Allen has upped that mark to 25.0 because he's nailing 3.5 threes per game, hitting 90 percent from the stripe, and a decent 44 percent from the floor (and climbing, by the way). Plus, Allen pulls 4.2 rebounds, dishes 3.5 assists, and steals 1.6 a night. (The dude who currently owns Ray, Man Named Gater, is a big Melo fan...)

10 - Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks - (11th): Last week I busted Dirk for being a little too much like Mehmet Okur with the 8-cat stat line, but I jinxed my man Memo in the process. Over the next two games he averaged 12.5 points on 30 percent with just 6.5 rebounds before bouncing back with 28 & 11, two steals, two blocks, and two threes Wednesday against Denver.

Anyway, Dirk is clearly in another league, ranking 11 to Memo's 35, thanks to strong numbers in six outta eight cats (25.9 ppg, 8.4 boards, 1.5 threes, 1.1 blocks, 47 percent, and 89 percent). And he's still solid in assists (2.6) and steals (0.7). The days of this German legend going by -irk because he never played D are long gone, but we may have to lower-case the D in dirk because of only 1.1 blocks and 0.7 steals. He's been one-plus and one-plus on the B/S for the past six seasons. Ironically, the Mavs are all the way up to ninth in fewest points allowed, despite reduced defensive stats from their superstar.

11 - Marcus Camby, Nuggets - (12th): I know Camby was hospital quiet from Dec. 28 through Jan. 27, and I realize his numbers are down since returning from right pinky surgery, and I realize he missed Wednesday's game with a shoulder injury. But please do not lose sight of his dominance before blocking his way to the injured list. Despite the rusty return, Camby is still averaging 15.4 points, 12.6 rebounds, 2.9 blocks, and 1.5 steals on the season.

If Camby is selected by the coaches as a reserve, it'll be his first All-Star appearance. Last year, Larry Hughes missed the All-Star game because of a lengthy injury, but finished the season on the All-Defensive First Team because he led the league in steals. This year, it could be Camby missing the All-Star game because of the 20 DNPs, before making All-Defensive First Team and leading the league in blocks. Camby's currently third behind Samuel Dalembert's 3.3 bpg.

12 - Rashard Lewis, SuperSonics - (15th): I know we've been talking about nicknames ad nauseam in recent articles, but I've got another one for you: Rashard Lewis, Ninja. If you're lucky enough to own Rashard, you know how he sneaks up on the competition and carves out their hearts by the end of the week. He sneaks up on people because they sleep on his 1.4 steals, 0.8 blocks, and .479 percentage from the field.

Wanna turn a superstar into a ninja superstar plus another solid player? Wanna pull off the old one-for-two to fatten up your lineup? Well, if you own Paul Pierce, offer him up for Rashard (check their numbers below and you'll be amazed at how similar they are) and, say, Manu Ginobili (you know, the supersolid whose value is relatively low right now).

13 - (if necessary) Chris Paul, Hornets - (18th): Only Jason Kidd averages more rebounds (5.6) among point guards, he's playing through a torn ligament in his right thumb, and he's tied for third with 2.3 steals.

Eastern Conference All-Star Reserves

6 - Gilbert Arenas, Wizards - (ninth): I predicted Gilbert would lead the league in threes, but I should have tabbed my man Ray-Ray, who is gunning away with the three-point race this year. Arenas leads the Eastern Conference with 2.5 threes per game (106 total), but Ray-Ray is way out in front with 144 bombs.

7 - Paul Pierce, Celtics - (13th): Last week we compared Dirk's numbers to Okur's because it seemed like a good idea at the time. As told, it wasn't my best take of the year, but not one I want back, either. Similarly, Pierce and Lewis are right there in the fantasy standings with surprisingly identical stats.

Pierce: 25.5 ppg; 1.4 threes; 7.4 rpg; 4.6 apg; 1.4 spg; 0.5 bpg; .479 FG%; .770 FT%.
Lewis: 22.0 ppg; 2.0 threes; 5.7 rpg; 2.4 apg; 1.4 spg; 0.8 bpg; .479 FG%; .823 FT%.

8 - Jason Kidd, Nets - (14th): Kidd may be 32, but he isn't showing signs of slowing down. Quite the contrary, actually, as Kidd's 14 ranking is quite a bit higher than last year's 8-cat ranking of 21. Kidd is the only player in basketball to average at least seven rebounds and seven assists, and he's supplementing those strengths with 1.9 threes, 2.0 steals and 14.8 points. As always, the .419 field goal percentage could use some work, but whadaya gunna do?

9 - Gerald Wallace, Bobcats - (16th): Two weeks ago we broke down the race for Most Improved Player and Crash Wallace was leading as the column went to web. I know he's out for at least a couple more weeks, but like Camby in the West, you have to recognize and reward the man for 32 unbelievable games.

Crash remains the only NBA player with two-plus blocks and two-plus steals. Plus, increasing his field goal percentage to .541 has raised his scoring average to a career-high 14.5. I'm telling you, David West and Boris Diaw immediately spring to mind when thinking about MIP candidates, but no one saw Wallace making the dramatic across-the-board improvements. At least not in any fantasy rankings I saw.

10 - Chauncey Billups, Pistons - (17th): If you think King Kobe is the MVP over Mr. Big Shot at this point of the season, you probably also think the 35-pound Nicole Richie is hotter than the 100-pound version. Well, neither are hot, but you get my point. If you favor King Kobe--who plays team ball only when it's convenient--over Billups, who understands better than anyone how to walk the fine line between passing and scoring, then ya just don't get it.

And it's not like I'm underestimating the stats, as Billups is ranked among the elite fantasy players this season thanks to 19.3 points, 8.5 assists, 2.3 threes, and 92 percent from the line. Oh yeah, and he is the floor leader for arguably the greatest team ever--at the halfway point. Billups will finally make his first All-Star appearance this season, and he may even add a League MVP and another Finals MVP trophy before all is said and done. Don't sleep and don't hate...

11 - Chris Bosh, Raptors - (20th): This is why Bosh can't be a Most Improved candidate. The dude was solid last season, but he's pretty darn close to spectacular this season, keeping his value in the second-round range all season. Bosh has made steady improvement each season, culminating with 22.6 points, 9.1 rebounds, 1.1 blocks, .506 from the field, and .815 from the line in a true, blue breakout season.

Word on the street is that the firing of the Bros. Babcock is going to help the Raptors re-sign Bosh this summer, as the kid is tight with toughlove coach Sam Mitchell. (Babcock seriously panicked with the Carter trade--one of the worst in league history, but you have to give him credit for drafting a pair of solid NBA forwards in Charlie Villanueva and Joey Graham, trading Rafer Alston for Mike James, and signing the speedy Spaniard, Jose Calderon, when there wasn't much interest from other teams.) Regardless, the Raptors might as well board up the windows and lock the doors to the Air Canada Centre if they let Bosh slip through their hands.

12 - Vince Carter, Nets - (21st): Hard to believe Vince was so human in November, when he averaged 21 points and three assists. Those numbers weren't down for long, however, as VC upped them to 26 and five, respectively, in December and January. He came alive after Richard Jefferson told him to stop worrying about his teammates and start attacking the opposition whenever possible.

RJ spoke, VC listened, and the result should be another official All-Star appearance for Vinsanity, although, this time the coaches--not the fans--will invite him to Houston. Carter has a great thing going in New Jersey with Jefferson and Kidd, but imagine how good Carter and Bosh would be in the same lineup. Remember, Vince is on record criticizing Raptors' management for drafting Bosh instead of trading the pick for a proven veteran. If that take was any indication, here's hoping VC doesn't follow in the footsteps of fellow Tar Heel Michael Jordan to the front office.

13 (the JO spot) - Michael Redd, Bucks - (22nd): You gotta love the overall game from Redd this season. He isn't just scoring a career-high 25.3 points on the strength of two threes per, .447 from the field, and .854 from the line, he's grabbing 4.6 rebounds, dishing 3.1 assists, and stealing 1.1 per. Redd has the Bucks looking like a playoff team, so I'll be a little surprised if he isn't invited to his second All-Star game.

-------
The interesting thing is the two players from the Sonics. Okay Ray can go but Lewis? Come on.

But wtf thing is the eastern Gerald Wallace. Yes ofcourse his pplay was noticble , but he was out some games and he plays for the Bobcats.

Tobias
02-07-2006, 09:12 AM
the scope is for fantasy teams.

MrChug
02-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Kamla's a hack who still lives in his Mom's basement. He prognosticates based SOLELY on fantasy statistics and truly does NOT know basketball for the game that it is and/or how it's played. He looks at numbers and that's it. Does that IN ITSELF explain the Rashard Lewis pick :lol :lol :lol ? Uh....NO.

So the moral of the story is, take what Kamla says with a grain of salt. The poor kid's just trying to keep his job on NBATV :spin

Supergirl
02-07-2006, 09:38 AM
This is just one guy's view. Kerr's selections (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AqpIZOrwFg3nFesuv_aoTjK8vLYF?slug=sk-allstars020306&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) are much better, and he includes Parker.

Parker's a lock for the ASG, I think. No other guard who's not already there is playing better in the West. Even Bibby is inconsisteny, as is Ray Allen. Plus their teams suck.

WayDowntownBang
02-07-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm actually a big fan of Kerr's selections.. for once.

Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Chauncey Billups AND Rip Hamilton on the ASG East Squad. 4 out of 5 starters on a team that's only got 7 losses SHOULD be there.

George Gervin's Afro
02-07-2006, 10:22 AM

Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Chauncey Billups AND Rip Hamilton on the ASG East Squad. 4 out of 5 starters on a team that's only got 7 losses SHOULD be there.

I can live with 5 pistons in the all star game. I think they deserve it..

lilmads
02-07-2006, 10:31 AM
They do deserve it. Just like Parker deserves it.

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2006, 11:11 AM
ray allen?? i can agree with rashard lewis, but ray allen?

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-07-2006, 11:13 AM

That's hard to argue, but I'll say this...if Rip and Chauncey aren't in the ASG, they should just shut it down.

George W Bush
02-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Reserves? Everyone can be a reserve.
We'll just sign u up and ship you out.
Come on Tony. Let's protect freedom.
God Bless America :tu

Notorious H.O.P.
02-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Kerr's list is legit because it comes from a real basketball standpoint.

Kamla's list doesn't jive the same way because it is based on a fantasy basketball standpoint. I wouldn't knock this guy too hard about it.

WalterBenitez
02-07-2006, 11:29 AM
NBA ASG 2006 ... Ray Allen > TP :nope

TONY will go to Houston, SA is the NBA CHAMP and no way to send only one player

Supergirl
02-07-2006, 12:22 PM
I agree with most of Kerr's picks, including Tayshaun being good, but just not as good as his teammates and a couple other guys in the East. But I don't think Rip is essential to the ASG. Pistons should be represented by Ben (best center in the East right now, with Shaq missing so many games) and Chauncey (the heart and soul of the team), no question. Rasheed should make it in because Jermaine O'Neal is injured, maybe not if he wasn't. But I'm not sure Rip is so much a lock, personally. Take him off that team and replace him with another good player (Paul Pierce, Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson) and the Pistons are just as good. Take away Billups, Big Ben, and Rasheed and the Pistons are not as good.

Solid D
02-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Kamla knows more about basketball than you may think. I agree with you others who say it's got a Fantasy slant. That's Rick's specialty. Rick watches lots of basketball and even does broadcasts for a few Euroleague games for NBAtv. Example: He probably has a better understanding of Robertas Javtokas' or Luis Scola's game than most of the people in here have.

I disagree with him on TP. He should be a reserve on the West All-Stars.

Kori Ellis
02-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Kamla says right in the article that his picks are just based on fantasy stats. You can't hate him for that.

This week, I offer a helping hand to the coaches who will be voting on the seven reserve spots for each team. They don't need the help, but just in case they're reading, we are picking the All-Star reserves based on their fantasy ranking over eight categories (points, rebounds, assists, blocks, steals, FG%, FT%, and threes made).

polandprzem
02-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Kori pointed that out :D

hehe

E20
02-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Kamla says right in the article that his picks are just based on fantasy stats. You can't hate him for that.

Mr. Body
02-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Sonics may not even deserve one player on the All-Star team. Doing it by fantasy stats is stupid.