PDA

View Full Version : Coach Mike Holmgren rips refs at homecoming

Jimcs50
02-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Fans welcome Seahawks home, blame refs for lossAssociated Press

SEATTLE -- Despite the Seahawks' disappointing Super Bowl loss, thousands of Seattle fans showed up Monday at Qwest Field to welcome the players home and congratulate them on their season.

Coach Mike Holmgren told the homecoming crowd that some of the officials' calls from Sunday's 21-10 loss still rankled.

"We knew it was going to be tough going up against the Pittsburgh Steelers," Holmgren said. "I didn't know we were going to have to play the guys in the striped shirts as well." :smokin

The fans roared their agreement.

"Refs suck!" they shouted in unison.

The focus of the fans' rage, a day after their team lost in Seattle's first trip to the Super Bowl, included a Darrell Jackson touchdown catch that was taken away by a penalty and a disputed TD run by Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger.

One call robbed the Seahawks of a touchdown; the other gave the Steelers a touchdown.

"The officiating left a lot to be desired," said Dale Baxman, a fan who took a half-day off work to attend the rally.

Vicky Phillips, another fan, was more direct.

"I think we need new refs," she said.

But more than griping about the officials, the fans, collectively referred to as the team's "12th Man," turned out to thank their team.

"I'm here to support them, let them know it's all right," said Tracy Rogers of Seattle, who called in sick -- brokenhearted, really -- to join the crowd. The Seahawks estimated attendance at about 15,000 although other observers thought the crowd was smaller.

Teenagers Malissa Dunn, Nickey Horgan and Gena Copley took a parents-sanctioned day off from school to paint their faces blue and green and score a front-row seat.

"We won in our hearts," said Horgan, 15. "We're still No. 1."

Gov. Chris Gregoire, who traveled to Detroit to watch the game, told fans to be proud of the team that won the NFC Championship, has the league MVP in Shaun Alexander and boasts seven Pro Bowlers.

Holmgren and other team officials praised the raucous legion of fans who are known for raising the decibel level in Qwest Field to among the loudest in the NFL.

"We just want to thank you for sticking with us all season," he said.

The entire Seahawks squad took the stage under an unusually sunny Seattle sky.

"I just want to thank you for your unwavering support," linebacker Lofa Tatupu said.

Alexander drew cheers -- and perhaps raised hopes -- with his comments about next year's Super Bowl XLI in sunny Florida. The star running back's contract is expiring and, if the team doesn't re-sign him before March 3, he will become one of the league's most coveted free agents.

"Next year, our last game of the season will be a win in Miami," he told the crowd.

MannyIsGod
02-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Next year tell Jeremy Stevens to remember how to catch, run some 2 minute drills, and make sure your kicker doesn't fuck up.

blaze89
02-07-2006, 10:59 AM
I wonder those who are complaining lost money on the game?

Jimcs50
02-07-2006, 11:04 AM

$500

:depressed

Melmart1
02-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Sour grapes, sour grapes... No matter how bad he thought his team got robbed, he should have enough class not to publically whine about it. I guess it's not just the Seattle fans who are classless...

IceColdBrewski
02-07-2006, 01:30 PM

Not in my case. I didn't even bet on the game. As I said in the other thread, I was pulling for the Steelers. But I couldn't help but feel as though I'd been cheated out of a good game, and forced to endure a boring one. Guys like me would rather see games that aren't so drastically affected by the officiating. You know...pure football. Not this boring, wussified crap that the league is turning into. I just can't believe there are so many people bending over and taking it. Correction. Not only taking it, but also defending it. :wow

ducks
02-07-2006, 03:50 PM
I am not a really a football fan but I told a guy that I watched the game with that they do not even let them play football anymore

ShoogarBear
02-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Sour grapes, sour grapes... No matter how bad he thought his team got robbed, he should have enough class not to publically whine about it. I guess it's not just the Seattle fans who are classless...

i agree with those who say the refs significantly hurt Seattle, although it's not clear that they cost them the game.

However, Holmgren should have had the good sense to realize he had the overwhelming preponderance of unbiased fans on his side, and kept his mouth shut. Now he looks like an ass.

tlongII
02-07-2006, 05:12 PM
i agree with those who say the refs significantly hurt Seattle, although it's not clear that they cost them the game.

However, Holmgren should have had the good sense to realize he had the overwhelming preponderance of unbiased fans on his side, and kept his mouth shut. Now he looks like an ass.

He doesn't look like an ass to Seattle fans and that's really all he cares about at the moment.

hussker
02-07-2006, 05:40 PM
http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs8/300W/i/2005/278/f/7/The_fox_and_the_grapes_by_canidae.jpg

Obstructed_View
02-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Holmgren has an easy way to not look like a loser for choking his way through the biggest game of the year by deflecting the blame. If he didn't have something to blame, he'd be looking for a job. This is the guy who said he didn't like trash talk because it "cheapens the game". What about crying like a little pudgy bitch in front of your crybaby loser fans in their crybaby loser town? Holmgren is overrated, a bad sport and is therefore in the perfect city.

CharlieMac
02-07-2006, 08:52 PM
I think he just got caught in the moment.

N.Y. Johnny
02-07-2006, 09:35 PM
http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/fs8/300W/i/2005/278/f/7/The_fox_and_the_grapes_by_canidae.jpg

Hussker that is priceless :lmao :lmao

you funny mofo. :tu

Dre_7
02-07-2006, 10:08 PM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/magazine/new/mike_holmgren_a.jpg
http://www.nba.com/media/bucks/karl_200_030501.jpg
Seperated at birth???

IceColdBrewski
02-08-2006, 12:05 AM

Holmgren should have had the good sense to realize he had the overwhelming preponderance of unbiased fans on his side, and kept his mouth shut.

Concur. The majority of Football fans were in his corner. No need to spout off and look foolish.

Bottom line. Hopefully the NFL takes more of a "let them play" stance in big games such as these from now on. You have to let them play if you honetlty care about establishing a clear-cut champion. I'll take missed penalties over trigger happy refs anyday. It keeps the game so much more pure and enjoyable.

One thing is for damn sure. I can't wait for some of these same people to start "whining" about the refs in the upcoming NBA playoffs. It's going to be a lot of fun throwing some of their hardline, anti-whiner ideals right back in their faces.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Concur. The majority of Football fans were in his corner. No need to spout off and look foolish.

Bottom line. Hopefully the NFL takes more of a "let them play" stance in big games such as these from now on. You have to let them play if you honeslty care about establishing a clear-cut champion. I'll take missed penalties over trigger-happy refs anyday. It keeps the game so much more pure and enjoyable.

Yeah they did that, and the Colts and their fans cried that the Pats were cheating.

I don't understand why everyone's crying now, the officiating has been horrible all year...

ShoogarBear
02-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Yeah they did that, and the Colts and their fans cried that the Pats were cheating. Yeah, but then essentially everyone outside of Indy told them to shut up and toughen up.

In this case, almost everyone without a rooting interest thinks the refs spoiled the game.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Yeah, but then essentially everyone outside of Indy told them to shut up and toughen up.

In this case, almost everyone without a rooting interest thinks the refs spoiled the game.

They did listen, they put more of emphasis of contact down the field; in most cases, it meant more defensive penalties. This year, they put more of an emphasis on offensive PI, which is why the DJax penalty shouldn't surprise anyone.

By definition, they got the calls right. The problem with the officiating in the NFL is consistency...

ShoogarBear
02-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Yes, you're right about the rule changes. I had forgotten about that.

But I don't think there was a lot of expressed public opinion that the Colts had gotten jobbed.

Melmart1
02-08-2006, 01:20 AM
The entire NFL playoffs were poorly officiated.

And yeah, you won't hear a firestorm of controversy over the Colts getting jobbed, unless they got jobbed cus Peyton Manning is their QB.

cecil collins
02-08-2006, 03:18 AM
They did listen, they put more of emphasis of contact down the field; in most cases, it meant more defensive penalties. This year, they put more of an emphasis on offensive PI, which is why the DJax penalty shouldn't surprise anyone.

By definition, they got the calls right. The problem with the officiating in the NFL is consistency...
The shit of it is that he probably didn't need to push the guy, but he did. That was interference, and they got it right. All the other shit is just bitching. Usc didn't lose to Texas, and now the Steelers didn't earn their championship. Why can't anyone lose with pride this year.

Sportcamper
02-08-2006, 11:29 AM
In any Championship competition the referees are expected to be a Non Factor...During the not so Super Bowl there were several calls that cheated the Seahawks... The actual score would have been much different if the referees had not helped Pittsburgh along the way... Let’s take a look:

• Ben Rothlisberger ... dives for the end zone and does not make it in. The ball never crossed the plane of the goal line and the refs even reviewed it. Ray Charles could have seen that the only time the ball was over the line was when Ben pushed it there after he was down. They called it a touchdown....

• Seattle throws a touchdown and it is called back because of pass interference when the replay clearly shows that the Pittsburgh defender made contact (by grabbing at the arm of the receiver) and not the other way around. The push off came after the defensive pass interference...

• Seattle drives down and completes a pass at the 1 yd line. The play is called back for holding. The replay shows no holding and Madden even said there was no hold. The play could have led to Seattle taking the lead.....

• Seattle throws an interception and on the return the quarterback tackles the man with the ball by hitting him below the waist. That is a legal tackle and blocking below the waist is only a penalty if the man does not have the ball. Add 15 yds to Pittsburgh giving them a shorter field...
The only legitimate score the Steelers had was the 75 yd run by Parker... Every other score came after a bad call...

Maybe there should be an asterisk next to this one… :smokin

dmac
02-08-2006, 12:37 PM
run some 2 minute drills,
that's what killed them in the end.

George W Bush
02-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Hey, nobody rigs anything but me!

God Bless America. :tu

Obstructed_View
02-08-2006, 04:01 PM
• Ben Rothlisberger ... dives for the end zone and does not make it in. The ball never crossed the plane of the goal line and the refs even reviewed it. Ray Charles could have seen that the only time the ball was over the line was when Ben pushed it there after he was down. They called it a touchdown....
If it had been conclusively not a touchdown, the review would have reversed the call. You can't say with any degree of certainty based upon the replay that it WASN'T a touchdown. I agree that it probably wasn't, but the responsibility goes to the line judge, and he had the best angle and made the call. Again, if it had been obvious that he had NOT scored it would have been reversed.

• Seattle throws a touchdown and it is called back because of pass interference when the replay clearly shows that the Pittsburgh defender made contact (by grabbing at the arm of the receiver) and not the other way around. The push off came after the defensive pass interference...
Unless you are suggesting that the defender hit Jackson's hand with his chest, replay clearly shows Jackson pushing off to get in position to make the catch. By rule Offensive Pass Interference is defined as "Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass." That's what he did. In addition, Incidental contact is defined as contact "by a defender’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball." Further, the rule states "If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference." Incidental contact is not pass interference.

• Seattle drives down and completes a pass at the 1 yd line. The play is called back for holding. The replay shows no holding and Madden even said there was no hold. The play could have led to Seattle taking the lead..... The hold is visible in the replay but it's not a great angle. The rulebook defines Holding as 1. Hand(s) or arm(s) that encircle a defender—i.e., hook an opponent or 2. Using hands or arms to obstruct an opponent by grasping with hands, pushing, or encircling any part of his body during a block.
The hook would have been enough, even if he hadn't grasped the jersey. He did both. Pick one, they are both illegal.

• Seattle throws an interception and on the return the quarterback tackles the man with the ball by hitting him below the waist. That is a legal tackle and blocking below the waist is only a penalty if the man does not have the ball. Add 15 yds to Pittsburgh giving them a shorter field... The tackle was legal. The call was for contact against the blocker. There was one on either side of the runner. If Hasselbeck made contact with either of them it's an illegal block, and the officials might have leeway to make the call on anything they deem dangerous, regardless of whether contact is made. Irrespective of that, it has nothing to do with whether or not he made a successful tackle. You can't go through one guy's knees to get to the runner.

The only legitimate score the Steelers had was the 75 yd run by Parker... Every other score came after a bad call...
So since the Ward touchdown didn't come immediately after a bad call it doesn't count either, huh? Actually, the 75 yard run came in the second half, and the pass interference call was in the first half. By your logic, that one shouldn't have counted either.

Congratulations, Seahawks. You beat the Steelers 17-0. You don't need Disneyworld because you are already in la la land.

CavsSuperFan
02-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Anybody watch the Super Bowl? Ratings show that 91 million people watched on Sunday....Well, 91 million minus the five refs... :lol

Jimcs50
02-08-2006, 06:07 PM
The pass interference was only called after the defender practically challenged the ref to call the penalty. I thought the flag was for unsportsmanlike conduct by the receiver, because the flag was not thrown for at least 7-10 secs after the play and after the defender got in the face of the ref.

This was the biggest ripoff championship in the history of sports.

They should be called the Pittsburgh STEALERS

hussker
02-08-2006, 06:22 PM

NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND... I can go a FEW YEARS back for what you describe. Ask these guys...

FROM THE FIELD...

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/blacksox/teamposter.jpg

TO THE COURT...

http://www.mc.cc.md.us/Departments/hpolscrv/court.gif

Obstructed_View
02-08-2006, 08:08 PM
The pass interference was only called after the defender practically challenged the ref to call the penalty. I thought the flag was for unsportsmanlike conduct by the receiver, because the flag was not thrown for at least 7-10 secs after the play and after the defender got in the face of the ref.
Are you suggesting somehow that Jackson didn't push off? The defender started to complain practically before the ball was caught, and the official immediately reached for the flag. Until the NFL has a rule that the official has a time limit on getting the flag out of his pocket, you and your crybaby team are out of luck.

Dre_7
02-09-2006, 05:42 AM

They should be called the Pittsburgh STEALERS

watch it again. The ref reaches and throws the flag, but it was caught in his belt, so he has to reach and throw it again. Making it appear late. When actually, the re was gonna call it right away.

Jimcs50
02-09-2006, 09:39 AM
watch it again. The ref reaches and throws the flag, but it was caught in his belt, so he has to reach and throw it again. Making it appear late. When actually, the re was gonna call it right away.

You are wrong!!!

Dan Patrick went over this ad nauseam on Monday, and the only reason why the ref threw the flag was because the defender got in the refs face and asked if he was going to call the penalty. The ref was intimidated.

Dre_7
02-09-2006, 06:54 PM
You are wrong!!!

Dan Patrick went over this ad nauseam on Monday, and the only reason why the ref threw the flag was because the defender got in the refs face and asked if he was going to call the penalty. The ref was intimidated.

Oh!! My BAD!!! Dan Patrick said so!! I am sorry!!

Sportcamper
02-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Superbowl XL is just another black eye on professional sports...Every unbiased fan across the country sees the officiating as disgraceful...
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060207/capt.watw10602070037.frustrated_seahawks_watw106.j pg

Was the Superbowl Fixed? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl;_ylt=AqovSFbMwMkr6HO7sYVACcs5nYcB) :rolleyes

N.Y. Johnny
02-10-2006, 10:39 AM
NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND... I can go a FEW YEARS back for what you describe. Ask these guys...

FROM THE FIELD...

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/blacksox/teamposter.jpg

TO THE COURT...

http://www.mc.cc.md.us/Departments/hpolscrv/court.gif

Shoeless Joe Jackson was innocent!

Sportcamper
02-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Anyone that has seen the documentary “Field of Dreams”, knows that ...Shoeless Joe was innocent...
http://emanuellevy.com/images/photos/bckcft2ot7g.jpg

Melmart1
02-10-2006, 02:21 PM
The fact that Shoeless Joe is still not in the HOF is a travesty.

Oh, and Seattle fans are being a bunch of whiney beyotches. But I guess when your other two teams are the Mariners and Sonics, you have nothing else.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Hey I'd blame the refs too if I were Holmgren.

It takes attention off the fact that your WRs dropped 4 touchdown passes (or stepped out of bounds prior to catching them) in a two TD game, and your team ran a two minute drill both halves that made pee wee football coaches all across America cringe.

leemajors
02-10-2006, 05:24 PM
You are wrong!!!

did you watch the game at all? the call was not that late, the ref reached for the flag after the ball was caught - maybe 2-3 seconds. why blame the steelers for this though? the refs made the call, the steelers had nothing to do with it. they made plays when they had to, and the seahawks didn't.

Sportcamper
02-10-2006, 05:30 PM
The NFL is fixed! Sign the Petition... (http://www.petitiononline.com/nfl12006/)

N.Y. Johnny
02-10-2006, 08:24 PM
The fact that Shoeless Joe is still not in the HOF is a travesty.

Oh, and Seattle fans are being a bunch of whiney beyotches. But I guess when your other two teams are the Mariners and Sonics, you have nothing else.

Jesus, you're so fuckin cool Melmart :tu

Not only a girl that likes baseball, but one that Knows her shit!!!
wow, i'm impressed.

Anyone with a fuckin appreciation for the sport of baseball and that knows its history and familiar with all the evidence knows that Jackson couldn't have been in on Arnold Rothstein's scam in 1919.

BUT enough of that, can this whining just end, get over it!!! Damn.
Pittsburgh Stealers...we get it!
Super Bought XL....we get it!
NFL fix...JESUS FUCKING CHRIST WE GET IT!!!! :pctoss

Sportcamper
02-15-2006, 05:11 PM
How do you think the fixed Super Bowl will effect next years NFL’s ratings? :smokin