PDA

View Full Version : No Class Democrats

Dos
02-07-2006, 05:51 PM
This is horrible on the day we were to memorialize Corretta Scott King, the democrats have again shown why they are so out of the mainstream.. even in moments of respect..

KING FUNERAL TURNS POLITICAL: BUSH BASHED BY FORMER PRESIDENT, REVEREND
Tue Feb 07 2006 15:49:48 ET

Today's memorial service for civil rights activist Coretta Scott King -- billed as a "celebration" of her life -- turned suddenly political as one former president took a swipe at the current president, who was also lashed by an outspoken black pastor!

The outspoken Rev. Joseph Lowery, co-founder of Southern Christian Leadership Conference, ripped into President Bush during his short speech, ostensibly about the wife of Martin Luther King Jr.

"She extended Martin's message against poverty, racism and war. She deplored the terror inflicted by our smart bombs on missions way afar. We know now that there were no weapons of mass destruction over there," Lowery said.

The mostly black crowd applauded, then rose to its feet and cheered in a two-minute-long standing ovation.

A closed-circuit television in the mega-church outside Atlanta showed the president smiling uncomfortably.

"But Coretta knew, and we know," Lowery continued, "That there are weapons of misdirection right down here," he said, nodding his head toward the row of presidents past and present. "For war, billions more, but no more for the poor!" The crowd again cheered wildly.

Former President Jimmy Carter later swung at Bush as well, not once but twice. As he talked about the Kings, he said: "It was difficult for them then personally with the civil liberties of both husband and wife violated as they became the target of secret government wiretaps." The crowd cheered as Bush, under fire for a secret wiretapping program he ordered after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, again smiled weakly.

Later, Carter said Hurricane Katrina showed that all are not yet equal in America. Some black leaders have blamed Bush for the poor federal response, and rapper Kayne West said that Bush "hates" black people.

Developing...

George W Bush
02-07-2006, 05:54 PM
I never went to class.

exstatic
02-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Duh. The War President goes to the funeral of the non-violence champion's widow and he gets a bit of flack. BFD. There were no WMDs.

Oscar DeLa
02-07-2006, 07:22 PM
I don't know what it is but some people don't understand what peace means

Nbadan
02-07-2006, 07:24 PM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060207/capt.gadm13902072034.aptopix_coretta_scott_king_bu sh_gadm139.jpg
If looks could Kill.

George W Bush
02-07-2006, 07:50 PM
I had a good time there. :tu

cecil collins
02-08-2006, 03:40 AM
I like this troll.

Dos
02-08-2006, 06:30 AM
911 showed us it only takes the will of a islamo-facist and a jet full of loaded innocent men, women and children to create a WMD.... !!!

Dos
02-08-2006, 06:31 AM
peace comes only through strength...!!!

boutons_
02-08-2006, 07:52 AM
9/11 proved that dubya/dickhead (who were too busy cutting taxes for the rich + corps, their ONLY priority) plus THEIR chair-warming $40B/year NSA/CIA/FBI were ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL in 2001 while refusing to heed the warnings about al Quaida from the out-going Dems.

Now, the sleepy/dopey/abusive motherfuckers say they can't do their jobs with violating the Constitution with their Karl-Rove-political-spying network.

Dos
02-08-2006, 08:48 AM
yeah funny .. you blame bush for not doing enough before 911 .. and yet still blame him for doing something about finding terrorist cells in this country now.....

boutons_
02-08-2006, 09:19 AM
dubya/dickhead/NSA/FBI/CIA don't need to ignore and subvert FISA and Congress to do their fucking jobs of defending the USA.

The Repugs politicized and abused 9/11, and continue still, for their own partisan objectives. If the Repugs politicize every fucking little event for their own purposes, then they'll have to get used to the opposition and dissenters pushing total, smash-mouth politicization right back in their faces.

Phenomanul
02-08-2006, 09:20 AM
yeah funny .. you blame bush for not doing enough before 911 .. and yet still blame him for doing something about finding terrorist cells in this country now.....

They don't realize you can't have it both ways.....

Such convenient view of history...
Typical partisanship.

Why didn't Clinton's administration fix the New Orleans Levies... they knew there was a problem with them since then???

Why doesn't the 'government' construct a huge retaining wall 20 miles off the coast of NYC...??? You heard it here first... if a Category 4 storm makes landfall right over NYC we're talking about the first storm to potentially rack up more than a trillion dollars in damage.

Some things sound right but are very impractical....

As for Bin Laden's ploy... they took advantage of weaknesses in our country's security... If I'm not mistaken Clinton's administration also failed to prevent an attack on the WTC... fortunately for him they didn't plan it correctly... unfortunately for Bush, every story broadcasting that event made it clear of what could have happened if the b_om-bs had gone off on a higher floor, "the firemen would then have major difficulties containing such a fire", "the building would have to deal with supporting major stresses".... Al Quaiiiiiida simply took notes....

101A
02-08-2006, 09:45 AM
No conservative or Republican took the opportunity at the funeral to mention that the Kennedy's wiretapped MLK, did they?

The reverend, and Mr. Carter were, in fact, somewhat less than classy.

Mr. Peabody
02-08-2006, 09:49 AM
:sleep :sleep :sleep

Vashner
02-08-2006, 10:17 AM
I don't think she would of minded the jab at Dubya.

He can take it.. it hurt good.. but he took it..

BTW SENIOR Democrat Senator Byrd.. is the one that fillibustered the civil rights bill...

The repugs are the ones that actually got the bill thru congress. Not the demorats..

George W Bush
02-08-2006, 10:41 AM
9/11 proved that dubya/dickhead (who were too busy cutting taxes for the rich + corps, their ONLY priority) plus THEIR chair-warming $40B/year NSA/CIA/FBI were ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL in 2001 while refusing to heed the warnings about al Quaida from the out-going Dems.

Now, the sleepy/dopey/abusive motherfuckers say they can't do their jobs with violating the Constitution with their Karl-Rove-political-spying network.

Ladies and gentlemen, on September 11, 2001, America was attacked by a squad of Saudi Arabians workin' outa Germany, Pakistan and Afghanistan. And by that, I mean we were attacked by Iraq.

God Bless America :tu

Darrin
02-08-2006, 11:52 AM

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Benjamin Franklin.

Darrin
02-08-2006, 11:58 AM
I grew up in a Catholic family and went to Catholic school. On occasion in the church, after a magnificent musical performance or a great speech, our congregation would break out into applause. My brother and I took our lives into our own hands if we joined.

"What's done in this building is for God, not our entertainment," our mother would say. To grow up with that kind of attitude and to see the service on C-SPAN, I was sickened.

This doesn't go to whatever label you have picked up. This was a sickening display of the state of American politics on both sides of the aisle. President Clinton was right - there is a woman who lived, breathed, dreamt, and suffered lying in that casket. This wasn't a campaign rally. Historically, when ideals and symbols mean more than people, the society usually eats itself whole. This political climate is sickening.

Oh, Gee!!
02-08-2006, 12:06 PM
:sleep :sleep :sleep

times 10!!!!

Mr. Peabody
02-08-2006, 12:25 PM
http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060207/capt.gadm13902072034.aptopix_coretta_scott_king_bu sh_gadm139.jpg
If looks could Kill.

Laura looks like Leona Helmsley in that photo. :lol

George W Bush
02-08-2006, 12:39 PM
times 10!!!!

Is the answer 8?

Nbadan
02-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Why didn't Clinton's administration fix the New Orleans Levies... they knew there was a problem with them since then???

Why doesn't the 'government' construct a huge retaining wall 20 miles off the coast of NYC...??? You heard it here first... if a Category 4 storm makes landfall right over NYC we're talking about the first storm to potentially rack up more than a trillion dollars in damage.

Some things sound right but are very impractical....

Why blame just Clinton? Couldn't strengthening the levees have gone on under Reagan, Bush41 and every President in the last century? Isn't this the justification Conservatives use to protect Dubya?

I don't think it woud have been 'impractical' for the FEDS to spend $5 billion strengthening the levees to withstand a CAT5 when it could take $150B+ to rebuild the city. The Government at every level failed in NO, but especially the FEDS.

Mr. Peabody
02-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Is the answer 8?

You get partial credit for showing your work.

George W Bush
02-08-2006, 02:03 PM
You get partial credit for showing your work.

Wow. Thanks little doggy.
That's better than I ever did in skool.
Hey, can we go play fetch sometime?
I'm off today, well I've been off since I became President.

gameFACE
02-08-2006, 02:19 PM
I grew up in a Catholic family and went to Catholic school. On occasion in the church, after a magnificent musical performance or a great speech, our congregation would break out into applause. My brother and I took our lives into our own hands if we joined.

"What's done in this building is for God, not our entertainment," our mother would say. To grow up with that kind of attitude and to see the service on C-SPAN, I was sickened.

This doesn't go to whatever label you have picked up. This was a sickening display of the state of American politics on both sides of the aisle. President Clinton was right - there is a living, breathing, dreaming, suffering woman in the casket. This wasn't a campaign rally. Historically, when ideals and symbols mean more than people, the society usually eats itself whole. This political climate is sickening.

Lots of funerals show up on C-SPAN. And CSK was a political person or had political influence. Peaceful, no doubt. But still political.

Phenomanul
02-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Why blame just Clinton? Couldn't strengthening the levees have gone on under Reagan, Bush41 and every President in the last century? Isn't this the justification Conservatives use to protect Dubya?

I don't think it woud have been 'impractical' for the FEDS to spend $5 billion strengthening the levees to withstand a CAT5 when it could take $150B+ to rebuild the city. The Government at every level failed in NO, but especially the FEDS.

Right... when levee reconstruction projects were voted down by the citizens of Lousiana in 1994 and again in 2002..... You can't help them if they don't want to spend the money to help themselves....

Hindsight is the operative word no one wanted to employ.... till now.

But... look, I'm not trying to justify the administration's actions... Their response after the storm was very disorganized, and help was not evenly, and sometimes preferentially distributed. It's just that sometimes people fail to see that the government can't solve every single problem...

And so for critics to throw the Levee funding problem into Bush's face, as if it belonged only to his administration, was just absurd.

Again, do you see NYC trying to prevent a similar scenario from devasting their city??? Even doubling the costs of your economics, would 10B in preventative expenditures be worth preventing potential losses in excess of 300B? Even if the scenario were less likely, though not improbable?

Nbadan
02-08-2006, 02:44 PM
It was, in fact, parts of the levees that had recently been strengthened that collapsed, versus the old earthen-damn levees which largely held. There ought to be an investigation into the contractor who did that recent levee work, but bureaucracy being what it is in Louisiana, I won't hold my breath.

George W Bush
02-08-2006, 02:47 PM
There ought to be an investigation into the contractor who did that recent levee work

Leave me alone lutenant Nbadan.

Nbadan
02-08-2006, 02:54 PM
the contractor

:lol

Wouldn't that be a hoot!

mookie2001
02-08-2006, 02:57 PM

I don't think it woud have been 'impractical' for the FEDS to spend $5 billion strengthening the levees to withstand a CAT5 when it could take $150B+ to rebuild the city. The Government at every level failed in NO, but especially the FEDS.no joke

Phenomanul
02-08-2006, 03:16 PM
no joke

You're missing the point.

Again, I'll point to this comment on my previous post....

"You can't help them if they don't want to spend the money to help themselves"

Oh... and I almost forgot... The money that could have been used for levee maintenance was instead diverted to supporting the state's gambling venues.... Go figure.

Nbadan
02-08-2006, 03:29 PM
You're missing the point.

Again, I'll point to this comment on my previous post....

"You can't help them if they don't want to spend the money to help themselves"

Oh... and I almost forgot... The money that could have been used for levee maintenance was instead diverted to supporting the state's gambling venues.... Go figure.

That's just it; they did spend some of the money to strengthen the levees - the parts that collapsed. As far as upgrading the levees, that would be up to the Army Corp of engineers, not the city.

Phenomanul
02-08-2006, 03:36 PM
That's just it; they did spend some of the money to strengthen the levees - the parts that collapsed. As far as upgrading the levees, that would be up to the Army Corp of engineers, not the city.

How much...??

Also did anybody think of raising the water pumps to decks well above sea level???

Did they figure the pumps would work under water??? Bad engineering flaw that needs to be fixed.

Yonivore
02-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Just shows they hate President Bush more than they loved Coretta Scott King.

Hey, it isn't anything they haven't done before. Remember when the Paul Wellstone funeral became a political rally for Walter Mondale?

Nbadan
02-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Dubya shelters himself with shill media and only shows at prop PR events, usually featuring neutered troops. What else did he expect at a funeral for a prominent group that only supports W by 2%?

George W Bush
02-08-2006, 06:53 PM
What else did he expect at a funeral for a prominent group that only supports W by 2%?

Hey, it's higher than 1%.

Darrin
02-09-2006, 01:28 AM
Lots of funerals show up on C-SPAN. And CSK was a political person or had political influence. Peaceful, no doubt. But still political.

It wasn't the funeral being on C-SPAN that sickened me; it was the amount of applause for Bill Clinton when he went to the podium and tried to talk. It was making a political statment in the middle of a funeral - in God's house. That ship has sailed as far as televising this event. Just in the last two years we have seen public services for Rosa Parks and President Ronald Reagan.

It was the actions of those in the church, not the cameras, that sickened me.

CharlieMac
02-09-2006, 01:30 AM
Bush should have taken the opportunity to ask for something at that funeral.

Darrin
02-09-2006, 01:31 AM
:lol

:wow Yeah, that sentence needs some work.

Nbadan
02-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Did anyone see this exchange on Insannity and John Holmes?

http://www.foxnews.com/images/192679/0_21_450_lowry.jpg

HANNITY: Reverend Lowery, let's be honest here, the president of the United States goes to Coretta Scott King's funeral, and you knew what you were saying. I've known you a long time. You knew what you were saying and you knew you were taking a shot at the president. You're going to be honest here and acknowledge that, correct?

LOWERY: I'm always honest, and my speech was the same, whether the president were in Atlanta or Athens, Greece. It had nothing to do with the president. I was doing my job. I was carrying out my assignment. I was asked...

HANNITY: Reverend...

LOWERY: Listen.

HANNITY: All right.

LOWERY: I was asked by the family to give a civil rights and human rights tribute.

HANNITY: Well, it...

LOWERY: What did you expect me to talk about, wine and roses?

HANNITY: No, no, it was — look, I would never expect that. But it was a celebration of Coretta's life. Here's my position.

LOWERY: What was the...

HANNITY: The president — hang on. The president gave an incredibly touching speech, I thought. I thought he, rightly so, honored a great woman. I thought it was appropriate that he be there.

You know what, Reverend, there's a time and place for politics. You've been on my radio show and we've had a good give and take...

LOWERY: What you call politics, Sean...

gtownspur
02-11-2006, 01:27 AM
Just a political rally at a funeral.