PDA

View Full Version : Is Dallas For Real or will they fail again in the playoffs

BillupsMVP
02-08-2006, 12:19 AM
It seems to me that Dallas is the best team in the NBA with the recent losses by Detroit. Should the spurs or pistons be worried about the mavs.

Leetonidas
02-08-2006, 12:20 AM
If you think the Mavericks are the best team in the NBA, you're not very bright.

Tek_XX
02-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Mavs having a good regular season record is nothing new.

mavsfan1000
02-08-2006, 12:22 AM
If you think the Mavericks are the best team in the NBA, you're not very bright.
Yeah a mavs team never has a chance. Even if they go 82-0. :rolleyes

leemajors
02-08-2006, 12:24 AM
they are playing better than anyone else right now, but it's a long time till april.

Leetonidas
02-08-2006, 12:24 AM

That was a stupid comment. The Mavs are not the best team in the NBA. Plain and simple. They're a very good team, don't get me wrong, but they are not the best.

Leetonidas
02-08-2006, 12:25 AM
they are playing better than anyone else right now, but it's a long time till april.

Also what he said. They're playing good RIGHT NOW.

Tek_XX
02-08-2006, 12:25 AM

Have some proof to back up your sarcasm.

Solid D
02-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Dallas is for real. They defend extremely well... but they aren't better than the Pistons. They haven't proven they are better than the Spurs either, yet having split 2 at the AA with them.

And then there are the playoffs. Now, that's a whole other discussion.

ShoogarBear
02-08-2006, 12:28 AM
This will be the best Mavs playoff team ever, that much is clear.

What isn't clear is whether that will be good enough . . .

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-08-2006, 12:28 AM
Prove it in the playoffs...

Until they do, they'll always be referred to as a great regular season team and a horrible playoff team. Kind of like Flip and coaching...

baseline bum
02-08-2006, 12:29 AM
I thought they were for real last year and then Dirk went and disappeared and disrespected everyone on his team. I'm not going to jump on their bandwagon just because of a hot streak, just like I'm not going to underestimate Detroit just because they've dropped 3 games in a week.

FreshPrince22
02-08-2006, 12:30 AM
For real. In years past they haven't looked like a team that can win in the playoffs. This team does.

HB22inSA
02-08-2006, 12:30 AM
But isn't Avery Johnson 367-2 since taking over as coach?????????????????

They're unbeatable.

They would sweep both the Pistons and Spurs.

Trainwreck2100
02-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Det excels in the beggining of the season
Dallas in the Middle
Spurs at the end

Then there is a three way tie for first with 65 wins apiece and nobody having the advantage of a tiebreaker.

mavsfan1000
02-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Prove it in the playoffs...

Until they do, they'll always be referred to as a great regular season team and a horrible playoff team. Kind of like Flip and coaching...
Well if their healthy they will prove it. It all comes down to health in the playoffs. The teams that are fully healthy and have a great regular season usually win it all.

ShoogarBear
02-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Then there is a three way tie for first with 65 wins apiece and nobody having the advantage of a tiebreaker.:lol

That would be true if they ended-up in a Tarantino-style Mexican standoff.

But the NBA tends to stick to old-fashioned one vs. another matchups.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Well if their healthy they will prove it. It all comes down to health in the playoffs. The teams that are fully healthy and have a great regular season usually win it all.

No team is fully healthy in the playoffs...

IMO the injury card is an excuse...

Viva Las Espuelas
02-08-2006, 12:35 AM
yeah, we had the best record last year and tim's ankles never felt better.
:rolleyes

mavsfan1000
02-08-2006, 12:37 AM
I said usually. BTW the suns lost Joe Johnson and they played a heavy series against the mavs while the spurs played the pretenders know as the sonics.

FreshPrince22
02-08-2006, 12:37 AM
Det excels in the beggining of the season
Dallas in the Middle
Spurs at the end

Then there is a three way tie for first with 65 wins apiece and nobody having the advantage of a tiebreaker.

Pistons have the tiebreaker over the Spurs. :spin

mavsfan1000
02-08-2006, 12:39 AM
Pistons have the tiebreaker over the Spurs. :spin
Why does that matter? :lol

leemajors
02-08-2006, 12:40 AM
sonics were a rougher series than a fun and gun series vs the mavs. getting beat up is tougher than a running team allowed to play their style.

FreshPrince22
02-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Why does that matter? :lol

I was correcting him. He said "no one has the advantage of a tie breaker". That is an incorrect statement. :spin And the "spinny smile" was code for "it doesn't mean dick, but i'll tell you anyways". :lol

mavsfan1000
02-08-2006, 12:43 AM
sonics were a rougher series than a fun and gun series vs the mavs. getting beat up is tougher than a running team allowed to play their style.
Tell Kobe that tonight. He had no fun so that run and gun thing wasn't a part of what he hoped to be. :lol

ZStomp
02-08-2006, 12:45 AM
I thought they were for real last year and then Dirk went and disappeared and disrespected everyone on his team. I'm not going to jump on their bandwagon just because of a hot streak, just like I'm not going to underestimate Detroit just because they've dropped 3 games in a week.

finally something bright posted here...this is the best post i've read in a long while. :tu

leemajors
02-08-2006, 12:45 AM
i thought we were talking about last year. kobe still put 60+ up on the mavs, i wouldn't brag too much about him having an off night. congrats on dropping his season average vs you guys to around 50!

Pandaemonaeon
02-08-2006, 12:47 AM
This will be the best Mavs playoff team ever, that much is clear.

What isn't clear is whether that will be good enough . . .

This is the best answer I've heard in a while. None of that 'great regular season' crap which is a huge cop-out considering how different this team is playing compared to the Mavs of the yester-years.

That said, I still think they're far from being a well-oiled machine though and have strong doubts if they're good enough to win the title. But that's why they have April to prove me wrong.

baseline bum
02-08-2006, 12:48 AM
I will say one thing. As a basketball fan this is my favorite Dallas Mavericks team ever. I love Josh Howard's game.

mavsfan1000
02-08-2006, 12:48 AM
i thought we were talking about last year. kobe still put 60+ up on the mavs, i wouldn't brag too much about him having an off night. congrats on dropping his season average vs you guys to around 50!
I guess this is the best I can get from a spurs fan. I'll take that as a compliment sort of. Kobe is a heck of a player when he's on but Dallas finally found a way to slow him down. Adrian Griffin definitely deserves a lot of credit.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-08-2006, 12:51 AM
I said usually. BTW the suns lost Joe Johnson and they played a heavy series against the mavs while the spurs played the pretenders know as the sonics.
well i think johnson came back and we thumped them just like they thumped ya'll. we didnt need 6 games though.

mavsfan1000
02-08-2006, 12:53 AM
well i think johnson came back and we thumped them just like they thumped ya'll. we didnt need 6 games though.
Tim Duncan was the reason. The suns small ball had no chance against a guy like him. The mavs though don't play small ball and I think matchup well against the spurs. Just my opinion.

ZStomp
02-08-2006, 12:58 AM
Spurs are better...
Mavs are better....
Suns are better...

BLAH..BLAH..BLAH..BLAH...BLAH

Who gives a rats ass?!?!?

This is 2006 not 2005....leave the past in the past.

Who carse.

Time will tell.

midgetonadonkey
02-08-2006, 12:59 AM
Spurs are better...
Mavs are better....
Suns are better...

BLAH..BLAH..BLAH..BLAH...BLAH

Who gives a rats ass?!?!?

Time will tell.

Best argument of the night.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-08-2006, 12:59 AM
Tim Duncan was the reason. The suns small ball had no chance against a guy like him. The mavs though don't play small ball and I think matchup well against the spurs. Just my opinion.
we'll see march 2nd. may the best san antonio team win. "and somebody said. FAIR WARNING. Lord, strike that poor boy down."

boutons_
02-08-2006, 01:08 AM
Mavs could run their 12 W streak up to the ASB, 16 straight.
Not much resistance, with only one game away, @DEN.

When wast the last time a team won 16 straight?

And then they have another 4 games @DAL after ASB, 20 games straight? Then the Mavs come to SA 2 Mar.

I wonder if the Spurs feel any sense of urgency or mission now to shoot for HCA?

ShoogarBear
02-08-2006, 01:26 AM
When wast the last time a team won 16 straight?
I dunno, but didn't the Mavs win about 14 straight a couple of years ago? How did that work out for them, anyway?

mavsfan1000
02-08-2006, 01:32 AM
I dunno, but didn't the Mavs win about 14 straight a couple of years ago? How did that work out for them, anyway?
The mavs are much different team than the 2002-03 season. The comparisons aren't that good. The mavs had no center who could guard the paint back than. Now they have Diop and Dampier. Also Dallas now actually has a low post prescence. Josh Howard has made a living there.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-08-2006, 01:39 AM
The mavs are much different team than the 2002-03 season. The comparisons aren't that good. The mavs had no center who could guard the paint back than. Now they have Diop and Dampier. Also Dallas now actually has a low post prescence. Josh Howard has made a living there.

agreed. except for the low post "presence" part. but i still think the spurs could beat the mavs in a 7 game series, although this will easily be the toughest mavs team the spurs have ever faced

T Park
02-08-2006, 02:02 AM
The mavs had no center who could guard the paint back than

They don't now, whats your point?

Also Dallas now actually has a low post prescence

Bruce Bowen won
t be able to guard him???

Okiedokie.

mavsfan1000
02-08-2006, 02:21 AM
They don't now, whats your point?
Desagna Diop. The guy is a shot blocking monster. Also Dampier coming off the bench will help in rebounding and also shot blocking.

Bruce Bowen won
t be able to guard him???

Okiedokie.

Bruce Bowen can't guard Dirk and Howard. Last time I remember Duncan couldn't guard Dirk so Bowen will be forced to guard Dirk which isn't a great matchup and Manu isn't physical enough to guard Howard.

Trainwreck2100
02-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Dallas has got to be the only team in NBA history to win 12 straight, and only make up a game and a half. Kudos.

T Park
02-08-2006, 03:16 AM
Manu isn't physical enough to guard Howard

Ive read it all now.....

What a myopic moron.

mavsfan1000
02-08-2006, 03:39 AM
No offense but Manu is not strong enough to guard Small Forwards. Howard is a post player and Manu definitely doesn't like taking hits. Stop being such a homer.

T Park
02-08-2006, 03:58 AM
Manu definitely doesn't like taking hits

yeah hes such a softy....

Stop being such a homer

stop coming to a spurs board _allas fan.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-08-2006, 04:13 AM
No offense but Manu is not strong enough to guard Small Forwards. Howard is a post player and Manu definitely doesn't like taking hits. Stop being such a homer.

manu takes almost as many hits as any other player in the league. hell the guy FLOPS to show how badly he wants to get hit!!!

mavsfan1000
02-08-2006, 04:14 AM
yeah hes such a softy....

stop coming to a spurs board _allas fan.

A lot of non spurs fans go to this board. Makes this board more interesting.

Darrin
02-08-2006, 04:23 AM
It seems to me that Dallas is the best team in the NBA with the recent losses by Detroit. Should the spurs or pistons be worried about the mavs.

I have been just as concerned with this team just as much as the Spurs. Dallas plays with a coach who not only brings a defensive scheme but the personality to force his players to respond to it. Slowly, quietly, they have made subtle changes to make their team better defensively. Desagana Diop, Eric Dampier, Marquis Daniels, Josh Howard, Doug Christie, and Adrian Griffin - the counterparts to the 2002-03 team that won 60 games and made it to the Conference Finals had a lot more holes in terms of personnel.

Their offense, how they score, has changed as well. Dallas was a very predictable one-pass team before. They move the ball much more now. They have the personnel to probe for open shots.

So the subtle changes in their personnel and schemes has gotten them to this point. I really think this team is for real, and I have thought that since Avery Johnson took over last spring. He just seemed like the perfect fit for that team after such a long offensive experiment under Don Nelson.

Darrin
02-08-2006, 04:38 AM

Well, 60 wins (a franchise record) and game six of the Western Conference Finals. Only one other team had a better season.

This is not that team. Look at them, seriously look at their personnel:

Do you see the 2005-06 version of Nick Van Exel and Walt Williams? Do you see Shawn Bradley? Don Nelson?

What I see is an empassioned defensive voice constantly applying his voice to their main area of weakness. I see a shift in the front office towards defensive personnel like drafting Howard and signing Daniels, signing Dampier and Diop. They have a coach that motivates guys who need to be motivated, and deep enough ownership pockets and support that 10 million-a-season players are coming off the bench over guys who are making league minimum.

I see a deeper bench than before. Marquis Daniels, Jerry Stackhouse, Keith Van Horn, Eric Dampier, Devin Harris, Darrell Armstrong, etc.

I see a team. I saw the reason for Michael Finley being waived was a a byproduct of no longer needing him. They had Nowitzki as their team leader, Stackhouse as their guy off the bench, and Josh Howard as their defensive stopper in the backcourt. It truly was an addition by subtraction - not because Finley is a bad guy, but because it freed up more minutes for the rest of the team so they had a better rotation.

This isn't that 2002-03 team. To beat them, you will have to do more than defend their shooters and expect manador defense down the floor. This team is for real and if I had to pick a winner in a series with Phoenix this season, I don't see the Suns winning. I'm not so sure about the Spurs and Pistons. Rest assured, they would have a better chance of surviving than in the past three seasons.

Baby Spears
02-08-2006, 08:03 AM
This T Park person is all class, you spur fans must be proud of him.

George Gervin's Afro
02-08-2006, 08:14 AM
We will have to wait for the playoffs to see if dallas is for real. During past regular seasons Dallas has been a good team but have not been able to climb the mountain. I do think when these 2 meet up the Mavs are still a perimeter team. A perimeter team that plays good team defense but lacks an inside presence. ...Hold it Mav fans please don't bring up benga and the 2nd best center in the NBA..neither has done jack in the playoffs so far... The series will becoms a half court game and we have the best inside player in the league.. I guarantee you the mavs are going to have fits guarding Duncan.. I can live with dirk shooting 17 ft fadeaways.. I like my chances with our guy down low.. with or without home court advantage.

ZStomp
02-08-2006, 08:29 AM
We will have to wait for the playoffs to see if dallas is for real. During past regular seasons Dallas has been a good team but have not been able to climb the mountain. I do think when these 2 meet up the Mavs are still a perimeter team. A perimeter team that plays good team defense but lacks an inside presence. ...Hold it Mav fans please don't bring up benga and the 2nd best center in the NBA..neither has done jack in the playoffs so far... The series will becoms a half court game and we have the best inside player in the league.. I guarantee you the mavs are going to have fits guarding Duncan.. I can live with dirk shooting 17 ft fadeaways.. I like my chances with our guy down low.. with or without home court advantage.

Thats if the real Duncan shows up. :depressed

leemajors
02-08-2006, 08:34 AM
bowen did a pretty good job on dirk last time around. i also think diop will find playoff officiating a rude awakening. this seems like a mavs team better equipped for the postseason, but didn't you say josh howard is a slasher? now he is a low post presence?

101A
02-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Dallas is certainly better defensively, but I had to check the stats; this thread made them sound like the second coming of the '85 Bears.

Pop has long said he focussed on Opp Fg% as THE defensive stat which mattered. Dallas is currently 8th in the league in that category; certainly respectable, but not awe-inspiring (Detroit is 14th). Dallas's opponent assist #, however is very good, at 2nd in the league. Tells me they are playing very good team defense, that to score against them, you've got to create your own shot.

Tony, Manu & Tim are pretty good at that.

BTW: Spurs are #1 in BOTH categories.

Solid D
02-08-2006, 10:00 AM
bowen did a pretty good job on dirk last time around. i also think diop will find playoff officiating a rude awakening. this seems like a mavs team better equipped for the postseason, but didn't you say josh howard is a slasher? now he is a low post presence?

Dallas does like to post-up Josh. He's strong, wiry, and sneaky around the boards and he's 2nd on the team behind Dampier in offensive rebounding.

You hold Howard down and you have a good chance of beating the Mavs. In the 8 losses Dallas has had when Josh was playing, he has only averaged 12 ppg and 4.9 reb. He has averaged 17.2 ppg and 7.5 rpg in their wins.

(stats from ESPN)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/splits?statsId=3732

leemajors
02-08-2006, 10:19 AM
i would think that stackhouse is more of a "low post presence" than howard. he does grab quite a few offensive boards, but i haven't noticed them posting him up regularly in the last few games i have seen (memphis, lake)

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-08-2006, 10:24 AM
The Mavs have put some better parts around Dirk, but sadly Dirk is still Dirk. We all saw his brand of "leadership" last year, where he threw half of his team under the bus and got shut down by Ryan Bowen during the Rockets series. If the Mavs want to win it all they have to get consistent big numbers out of him during the playoffs and it seems to me they have yet to ever get that out of him.

And as far as the Josh Howard/Manu mismatch, Manu had to guard Tayshaun Prince in the finals last year and did a pretty respectable job of it despite giving up about 4 inches to Prince. Not only that but the Spurs play such good team D that they can usually adjust to limit the impact of any mismatches.

leemajors
02-08-2006, 10:33 AM
it was mcgrady who shut down dirk, ryan bowen did not.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-08-2006, 10:38 AM
it was mcgrady who shut down dirk, ryan bowen did not.

My apologies. I didn't really watch to much of that series, but since I live in Houston I heard Jon Barry's sound bite referring to Ryan Bowen as "The Germanator" a million times. So either R. Bowen had to have been covering him at some point, or Jon Barry just wasn't paying attention. Regardless, defense isn't exactly the hallmark of TMac's game so if you're getting shut down by him then it's still pretty bad news.

Solid D
02-08-2006, 10:39 AM
True, on Stack liking to post-up. I don't think of Josh as a post-up player...he's a slasher to be sure, but I've noticed the Mavs do set him up there when the matchups are right. He's terrific around the basket and the Spurs would do well to keep him out of the lane. I see that as a key strategy in future games.

Spurminator
02-08-2006, 11:15 AM
I thought they were for real last year and then Dirk went and disappeared and disrespected everyone on his team.

Me too. That's my only hesitation about this year's Mavs team... There's still a chance that the Mavs lose a game in the Playoffs and Dirk pisses off his teammates by throwing them under the bus. He'll have to back off a bit and let Avery be the vocal critic when they struggle.

Hatfield
02-08-2006, 11:41 AM
You should hear the sports radio up here in Dallas. People are jumping on the bandwagon quickly. Talk of going on a 20 game win streak has already started to surface. Too bad it's February.

That said, I do think they are a MUCH better team than they have been in the past, but I think they need one or two years experience in the playoffs, playing their new style, to be able to go all the way.

ShoogarBear
02-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Well, 60 wins (a franchise record) and game six of the Western Conference Finals. Only one other team had a better season.

My comment was meant to be a dig rather than a serious basketball analysis. I am already on record as saying that this will be the best playoff team Dallas has ever had.

George W Bush
02-08-2006, 12:03 PM
I used to watch Dallas all the time.
I especially liked J.R.
God Bless America :tu

cheguevara
02-08-2006, 12:12 PM
I saw their game vs. Lakers last night. Nothing special. Same old mavs beating up teams in regular season, then sucking in playoffs.

TheTruth
02-08-2006, 12:37 PM
I saw their game vs. Lakers last night. Nothing special. Same old mavs beating up teams in regular season, then sucking in playoffs.
Well, we don't know that yet do we? Defense wins in the playoffs, and AJ seems to be preaching it, and the Mavs seem to be listening.

I still think that come playoff time, the Spurs defense should be able to shut down the Mavs Offense more than the Dallas D can ours. If Mavs fans think that Dampier and Diop will be enough to shut down Timmy, they are sadly mistaken. Tony will own Jason Terry.

mavsfan1000
02-08-2006, 12:58 PM
And as far as the Josh Howard/Manu mismatch, Manu had to guard Tayshaun Prince in the finals last year and did a pretty respectable job of it despite giving up about 4 inches to Prince. Not only that but the Spurs play such good team D that they can usually adjust to limit the impact of any mismatches.

Josh Howard is a greater offensive threat than Prince. Also Dallas's offense stretches out other teams so it is hard to help out on defense. In particular Dirk and Terry do this.

mando6599
02-08-2006, 02:17 PM
You should hear the sports radio up here in Dallas. People are jumping on the bandwagon quickly. Talk of going on a 20 game win streak has already started to surface. Too bad it's February.

That said, I do think they are a MUCH better team than they have been in the past, but I think they need one or two years experience in the playoffs, playing their new style, to be able to go all the way.

No kiddin, Hatfield. Dallas sports radio is really lovin' their Mavs right now. And it's so easy for someone to say that this is the year the Mavs get to the Finals, but as long as SA is still as potentially good as they are, the Mavs won't get there. The Mavs are on a hot streak for sure, but again, it's so easy to jump on the MavWagon and proclaim this team as Finals material. I'll admit that SA has really yet put together a game where I could say, "That's why my Spurs are the champs." But knowing they'll get better in these final 35 games is reassuring. The Spurs can play much better basketball than they are playing right now, especially on the offensive side, that I don't think any team, including the Mavs or even Pistons at full strength, can beat in a 7 game series.

I do have much respect for AJ's coaching and what he's brought to that Mavs team. They will not be an easy win come playoff time for any team, including the Spurs. It goes to show you how influential the Spurs are in terms of coaching and preaching defense. Defense, thanks to Avery, can now be respectable in Dallas, if not, formidable.

mando

Senator Joseph McCarthy
02-08-2006, 02:41 PM
The problem I see with the Dallas Mavericks is that they are infiltrated by commie sleeper cells. First you have Dirk Nowitzki from Germany, which was once half communist, meaning that likewise, Dirk is half communist. And they are lead by Avery Johnson, who is clearly a communist. First he turns his back on an all American Naval hero like David Robinson, so if he's not a commie he's at least a traitor to his country. Second, he's from Louisiana, the state that gave us that notorious communist Hughie P. Long. And finally both he and Dirk spent a number of years playing with Steve Nash, who is the biggest commie in the NBA. Not only is he from Canada (a communist country hiding in a hockey jersey) but he leads the league in assists, and assists=sharing=communism. The commies lost the cold war and they will lose in their campaign for the Larry O'Brien trophy.

George W Bush
02-08-2006, 02:44 PM
McCarthy, are you sick? You've lost all your color.

God Bless America :tu

mavsfan1000
02-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Politics and sports don't go together. :lol

George W Bush
02-08-2006, 03:39 PM
what about political sports?

leemajors
02-08-2006, 03:47 PM
more than a few politicians have capitalized on sports fame to gain seats in office - tom osbourne is one.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-08-2006, 04:30 PM
As well as Bill Bradley, Steve Largent, and Jack Kemp.

Rummpd
02-08-2006, 08:41 PM
It is BS and not historically accurate to say for sure this is the best Mavs team the Spurs have ever faced!

Mavs had a frigginn all star team with Nash, Finely, Dirk, Van Exel (when he was a real threat) and Nellie could and did pull some tough combinations.

Time will tell but the Mavs had some strong teams before. I personally see the Mavs as nothing more than a hot team right now ready to crash soon. Their schedule also has a heck of lot of road games end of the year.

mavsfan1000
02-08-2006, 09:00 PM
It is BS and not historically accurate to say for sure this is the best Mavs team the Spurs have ever faced!

Mavs had a frigginn all star team with Nash, Finely, Dirk, Van Exel (when he was a real threat) and Nellie could and did pull some tough combinations.

Time will tell but the Mavs had some strong teams before. I personally see the Mavs as nothing more than a hot team right now ready to crash soon. Their schedule also has a heck of lot of road games end of the year.

Your right about this being BS. The mavs are finally healthy and that is why they're hot. The mavs are winning 75% of their road games and last year was actually a better road team than home team.

5ToolMan
02-08-2006, 10:27 PM
As well as Bill Bradley, Steve Largent, and Jack Kemp.

JC Watts and Jessie Ventura were others who used sport as a path to public office.

SequSpur
02-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Mavs > Pistons
Pistons > Spurs
Spurs > Mavs

mavsfan1000
02-08-2006, 10:38 PM
Mavs > Pistons
Pistons > Spurs
Spurs > Mavs
You got the first 2 right at least. :lol

pking
02-08-2006, 11:35 PM

Really? I haven't had a chance to listen lately...I've been kinda curious as to what they're saying about them; typically GAC is down on them so I wondered if they'd jumped on the bandwagon or not.

I'm all for the Mavs, they're my favorite team.. but people are just unrealistic. That's not to say I think they don't have a shot; in fact, I think they have a great shot, but I hate the fans out there that say (mostly because of our current success) that we're better than DET and SAS and we're going to win the title. Nobody can predict the future. Of course that goes both ways I guess, tons of people here and all over saying "Mavs wont win in the post season because they haven't before" Things change..the team is different. They have just as good of shot as anybody. We'll see.

aaronstampler
02-09-2006, 12:32 AM

This makes no sense. There was almost no physical play at all in the Phx-Dal series, it was just run and gun. The Sonics beat the hell out of the Spurs for six games, especially that fatass thug with the pig tails.

aaronstampler
02-09-2006, 12:33 AM
if Dal is for real, they'll have to beat us at least one of the two games at home. The only way to get respect is by beating the best head to head. The Pistons, I respect.

mavsfan1000
02-09-2006, 12:37 AM
if Dal is for real, they'll have to beat us at least one of the two games at home. The only way to get respect is by beating the best head to head. The Pistons, I respect.
I like Dallas's chances in doing that. They were 29-12 on the road last year and 18-6 so far on the road this year. Should be a great game.

Duff McCartney
02-09-2006, 12:40 AM
I don't think Dallas will do much this year. They have nobody to take the pressure off Dirk at all. Period.

Come on...in a seven game series, you're telling me that you're afraid of Josh Howard or Jason Terry? They aren't shit and haven't proven themselves worthy of second option.

Please...in a seven game series, you are afraid of Tim, Manu, or Tony.

aaronstampler
02-09-2006, 12:45 AM
I don't think Dallas will do much this year. They have nobody to take the pressure off Dirk at all. Period.

Come on...in a seven game series, you're telling me that you're afraid of Josh Howard or Jason Terry? They aren't shit and haven't proven themselves worthy of second option.

Please...in a seven game series, you are afraid of Tim, Manu, or Tony.

Jason Terry is a damn scary player. He pretty much singlehandedly beat the Rockets in the playoffs last year. If Mike James can go off for 36, then a guy like Terry has me plenty concerned. Tony was pretty much playing just 47 feet today...

mavsfan1000
02-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Agreed. Maybe Parker will score a ton on Terry but Terry could do the same right back at Parker.

Despot
02-12-2006, 01:00 AM
~Thinking of a thread from the beginning of this season~

Was it Mavsfan100 that called Dirk the best Post player in the game?

mavsfan1000
02-12-2006, 01:01 AM
what? Never said anything like that.

Despot
02-12-2006, 01:21 AM
Oh sorry, you were comparing Dirk to the best player that ever played the game.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27247&page=1&pp=26&highlight=dirk+develop+post+game

Posts #19, #35 worth reading as well.

Most of us were wrong about the mavs place in the division, well, not wrong as per the mavs really, we were fooled much worse, as was the rest of the world, by the Rockets.

Could still swear that there was a Mavs fan that said Dirk has the best Postup game in the L. Maybe it was another forum.

5ToolMan
02-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Jason Terry is a damn scary player. He pretty much singlehandedly beat the Rockets in the playoffs last year. If Mike James can go off for 36, then a guy like Terry has me plenty concerned. Tony was pretty much playing just 47 feet today...

Mike James had a much easier time taking the ball to the hoop because Duncan was not playing.

Terry is a solid streak shooter, but will not have much luck penetrating if the Spurs defense is healthy and in rythym.

Rummpd
02-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Mavs very good team and have some confidence but lets put things into perspective.

There is no way that team even with some young good players and a few defenders around Dirk is as scary to face as the one that had Nash, Van Exel, Finley etc. a few years back. Dallas was stoked and as good as job as AJ has done he is also not as creative of a coach as Nellie was.

The whole hope for the Mavs's fans is that either Dampier or Diop will come up big against Duncan and it ain't going to happen enough to win a series - unless Duncan is more hurt than now (their only hope). Meanwhile Parker and Manu will also go off.

Spurs get rolling, Mavs go down in 5. Worst case Spurs take em in 6-7 but no way they lose a series to the still soft Mavs unless Duncan is totally hobbled.