PDA

View Full Version : Cameron not signing with Pistons?

KoriEllis
08-29-2004, 03:49 AM
I know this was a topic in chat the other night ...

Breakers keep Pero
29 August 2004
By ROY WILLIAMS

www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2...23,00.html (http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3017728a1823,00.html)

Great news for the Breakers on the eve of their 2004-2005 NBL basketball season.

Tall Blacks captain Pero Cameron will almost certainly be with the Waitakere City based team for the full season.

And star American Mike Chappell, second highest scorer in the league last season, returns to New Zealand today after missing out on the Toronto Raptors.

During the Tall Blacks' Olympic campaign rumours were rife that Larry Brown, coach of the United States Olympic team and the Detroit Pistons, was keen on giving Cameron a shot at making the champion Pistons NBA squad.

But it turned out they were just rumours. Breakers general manager Peter Chapman spoke by phone with Cameron late this week.

"Pero told me that he had not been personally approached by anyone involved with the Pistons," Chapman says.

"There had been talk but nothing had happened. So Pero says it is extremely unlikely that anything will come of it.

"We wouldn't stand in the way of Pero if something did transpire, for to play for the Pistons in the NBL, would be a fantastic way for him to cap off his basketball career.

"But for us it will be great to have him back for he is the player we build our team around.

"And we will be equally pleased to have Mike (Chappell) back. He was a huge contributor last season."

The Breakers have also signed former Perth Wildcats guard Ben Thompson, 25, who has heaps of finals experience.

"In looking for the final piece of the puzzle we wanted a player with runs under his belt in the NBL.

"I know we will be able to rely on him for a steadying hand when the pressure is really on," said head coach Frank Arsego.

New American signing Shawn Redhage had 32 points, 18 rebounds, eight assists and five blocks when his North Tasmania team won its Australian regional final 117-98 over Knox. He joins the Breakers shortly.

WriterNum934
08-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Oh damn Whottt... I guess that EURO won't be playing in the NBA like you thought. :wacko

IcemanCometh
08-29-2004, 02:04 PM
tall blacks

heh

WriterNum934
08-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Better than Tall Whiteys or Tall Crackas.

ShineOnYouCrazyManu
08-30-2004, 02:45 AM
New Zealand is in Oceania.

NZ Spurs
08-30-2004, 08:01 AM
I love Pero but he is way too old, slow, inconsistent to play in the NBA.

Mike Chappell on the other hand is a balla and should have got a shot in the L.