PDA

View Full Version : Knicks Could Strike Deal With Nuggets

alamo50
02-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Wednesday, February 08, 2006

BY DAVID WALDSTEIN
Star-Ledger Staff

NEW YORK -- The Knicks really want Denver backup point guard Earl Watson, but in order to get him they may have to accept a package deal that would include former Net Kenyon Martin and Voshon Lenard.

As of now, the possibility of the Knicks acquiring Martin is no higher or lower than any of the other names that are out there -- including Watson, Al Harrington, Theo Ratliff and Steve Francis -- according to a league executive familiar with the situation.

That person said Denver is trying to attach Martin and Lenard, who is in the final year of his contract, to a deal involving Watson. But other players are expected to become available as the Feb. 23 trade deadline approaches, and the Knicks are content to wait and see who materializes.

The Nuggets are trying to move Martin, who has a bad back, bad knee, and is owed more than $55.3 million. Martin is not a favorite of Denver head coach George Karl, which is significant because Karl and Larry Brown are former Carolina cronies, and there is no doubt the Knicks coach is aware of whatever shortcomings Karl feels Martin has.

But Isiah Thomas continues to work the phones to make a deal, and the Knicks president is hoping to acquire Watson or another point guard in a simpler deal, though it is a difficult match at present.

"I still believe if there's a point guard out there we can get, we'll (make a deal)," Brown said, "or we have to develop somebody here. But again we're not going to mortgage our future."

Francis is a long shot, but Thomas is monitoring the situation and is open to all possibilities. The Knicks are even willing to trade Stephon Marbury in a bombshell deal if they could find someone open to taking on the $57 million he has remaining on his contract.

Thomas is liable to check with every other team to find a deal.

"I know he's been trying," Brown said of Thomas. "He keeps telling me. Once the Boston trade and (Ron) Artest trades were made, he felt that would open things up. People were waiting to see what happened with Artest." Brown's dander was raised before the game when someone read a quote to Brown from Marbury that sounded critical, but actually wasn't. Marbury was talking about how Brown imaginative thinker and sees things differently from other people, but for a moment it sounded to Brown as if Marbury had ripped him.

"I don't think that's too far off base," Brown said at first, then later added a shot of his own.

"I think we've got to explain," he said, "he only went to Georgia Tech for a year, and that's an engineering school." Antonio Davis reluctantly reported to the Raptors yesterday after missing one game while returning to his family in Chicago. If he was morose about joining the Raptors, he sounded deeply concerned about the team he left behind.

"I hope those guys can keep it together mentally and physically and get through any challenges they have," he said. "I don't really want to talk about anything specific, but I think they have their work cut out for them. Hopefully, they can stay professional and get through it."

In case anyone is wondering about the NBA's policy, in light of the news that Wayne Gretzky's wife and several NHL players had placed bets -- though not on hockey --with a nationwide sports gambling ring: No player may bet on NBA games in any way, or participate in any illegal activities. There is no provision regarding legal gambling on other sports.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Link (http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1139382037201290.xml&coll=1)