View Full Version : SPURS: Free Agent Nazr; Tony Breaking Through

ducks
02-08-2006, 09:13 AM
SPURS: Free Agent Nazr; Tony Breaking Through

SPURS: Free Agent Nazr; Tony Breaking Through

By Emmett Shaw
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Feb 6, 2006, 20:25

It’s always a plus if you feel like at the end of the game you’re a big part of a win. You know, you just feel a little bit special. So it felt great,” said Nazr Mohammed of his contributions to recent Spurs’ victories at Portland and Utah, in which the big man averaged 12 rebounds. Nazr has been splitting time with Rasho Nesterovic in San Antonio’s recent 10-1 stretch of games, 11 tips that Robert Horry (lower abdominal strain) has played only three of.

Mohammed has averaged 20 minutes during those past 11 games, while Rasho has played 19 per. Says Nazr, “We both just try to go out there and follow the game plan and, you know, play to our strengths.” Mohammed’s strength is quickness and rebounding; he stands 9th in the NBA in rebounds per minute. And at 7-feet tall, Nesterovic is 13th in the loop in blocks per minute. There’s no hint of bitterness at Nazr’s not starting.

“Rasho’s been in the system longer, so he definitely knows. He’s just more familiar with it. And my rebounding is, you know, something I feel like I’m pretty good at. So I just try to provide a little rebounding and, you know, a little presence off the bench,” said Nazr after the Spurs’ practice yesterday. Nazr’s use of the expression “you know” isn’t just a grasp for an illusive word. He’s self-effacing (“little presence?”) about what he brings to the Spurs.

Nazr could just as well say to every HOOPSWORLD.com reader that “you know” a few months ago he started all 23 playoff games for San Antonio on its way to the 2005 league title. Even that “you know” this 28-year-old with college and NBA championship experience – and a live 6-10 body – becomes a free agent this summer. But he doesn’t have to say that, because for some reason he’s secure within himself that showcasing in a contract year isn’t what his playing time is all about.

Maybe he’s gotten some good advice or maybe he’s just taken a look around the league scene and is using his head. Jerome James pulls about $30 million one summer, Adonal Foyle is guaranteed about $35 million in another. It stands to reason that this summer a superior player like Nazr, who reportedly earns over $5 million this year, will be taken care of in a lucrative way. Maybe he knows that the league has gotten a good look at his work for a few years. Maybe he just likes to win games.

But what happens soon when the recovering Horry returns? Up front, the Tim Duncan-Horry pairing is one of the NBA’s most dynamic – though it must be used sparingly compared to, say, the Wallaces. The current combined 40 or 45 minutes per game for the two-headed, Rasho-Nazr center position becomes more like a 24 minutes – and one-man – job when Robert is healthy. Both San Antonio’s centers can make the argument that he should be that big man playing half the game. When Horry returns, here’s what figures to happen. Some nights it will be Rasho, some nights Nazr, depending on who’s on his game and what the opponent’s strength is. And some nights Robert will get the night off.

PJ Carlesimo Discusses Tony Parker

Tony Parker solidified his drive for the NBA All-Star game in the Spurs’ last 11 games with a phenomenal 60% FG mark! Less spectacular, except for how much it has improved lately, is Tony’s free-throw shooting. His mechanics, both from the floor on jumpers and when he tries FTs, have become more and more similar to Steve Nash’s or Ben Gordon’s and less and less like you might see at the YMCA. For the most recent 11 contests, Parker has shot 73% from the stripe to lift his season’s mark to 67% (from 65% in the Spurs’ first 36 games). As PJ Carlesimo discussed after practice yesterday, Tony and shooting coach Chip Engelland are making noticeable progress in their almost daily collaboration.
“I think Tony’s shooting the ball much better. You know, a lot of people say (his high FG percentage) is just because he’s getting the layups, probably because you haven’t seen the effect as much with his FT yet. And I just think it’s something you don’t see all of a sudden, as crazy as that sounds. I don’t think there’s any doubt in any of our minds that he’s shooting the ball better, both FT and game.

“You know, PGA guys talk about it all the time. You watch those guys on the tour. When they’re on the practice range, every single one of them basically hits every shot pure, but to take it to the (tournament) is something else. But even to get to the level they’re at on the range is something else. Tony didn’t used to be where he hit it, you know, every day on the range like that. He is doing that now.

“He’s shooting the ball extremely well in practice and I think with his jumpshot I think he’s transferred that into the game. He’s made a lot of big shots for us. Not just shots in the first 2 or 3 quarters, but shots in the last 6-7 minutes of a game, when it matters. When we’re really hurting for a shot he’s made some jumpshots for us, which I think is really encouraging.

“He’s also made some FTs, but I think his FT percentage is going to get up. He gets fouled so much (season average is 5/game compared to 4/game last season, but up to 6/game in the “last 10” split) and he’s shooting it so well now that I just think it’s, you know, that next step to transfer it to the game, but I mean I think his work with Chip is noticeable to all of us. And I think it’s noticeable from the field in a game. I don’t think it’s been quite as noticeable yet on the FT line.”

Yet noticeable to us. The recent 73% run is a spike upwards, and because of his improved mechanics, Parker’s jumpshooting and FTs should stay improved. If the Spurs are to get to Detroit’s level again, Tony’s work with Chip figures to be a big reason. “Our goal on Parker was to make him try to beat us from the outside,” said Flip Saunders when the Pistons visited San Antonio last month. At that time the coach said the idea was “playing him kind of soft on the perimeter.”