PDA

View Full Version : Zen Master calls the Mavs soft

ducks
02-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Zen Master calls the Mavs soft

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/b...ks/13810761.htm

Kobe's averaged 52 points against them, so he might have a point.
But by the time AJ's done with them, they'll be tough.

MAVERICKS NOTES
Mavs trying for hard reality
By ART GARCIAStar-Telegram Staff Writer
DALLAS -- As far as the Zen Master is concerned, the Mavericks are still soft.
Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson couldn't be blunter when asked Monday afternoon if he expects the Mavs to get physical with Kobe Bryant tonight at American Airlines Center.
"The Mavs are not a physical team," Jackson said after a sizable pause. "Not that I know of. Not that I remember. That's not the style they play. They play an open-court game."
Considering the Lakers have averaged 110.5 points in compiling a 2-0 record against the Mavs this season, the opinion isn't without merit. And considering Bryant has averaged 52.5 points in those two meetings, including that embarrassing 62-point eruption Dec. 20, Jackson isn't the only one outside of North Texas who thinks the Mavs don't get down and dirty.
The Mavs, however, feel they're a different team, especially defensively. They're 37-10, riding an 11-game winning streak, and haven't allowed 100 points in any of the 11 victories.
Bryant and the slumping Lakers (24-23) get to see firsthand if the Mavs are indeed a changed bunch for the first time since that night in Los Angeles about six weeks ago.
"I sure hope we're different," Mavs coach Avery Johnson said. "We seem to have been playing much more physical basketball on the defensive end."
While Jackson might not agree, the Mavs have numbers on their side. They're allowing 93.3 points (ninth in the league) overall and only 87.5 during the winning streak.
In the fourth quarter, the Mavs have really turned up the defensive intensity. They've given up 19.9 points in the fourth over the past 11 games on 34.6 percent shooting.
"We know how to play great team defense," Josh Howard said.
Kobe flashback
The words "Kobe Bryant" and "embarrassed" surfaced again, and with good reason. Sixty-two reasons, in fact.
"No one has forgotten," Adrian Griffin said simply.
Bryant, on is own, generates rock star-like hype whenever the Lakers roll into town. And there was plenty of interest Monday in how the Mavs were going to slow the NBA's leading scorer.
Mavs coach Avery Johnson joked (perhaps) that a 5-on-1 trap might be the only way.
"I've been seeing it the last couple games," Bryant shot back.
The Mavs intend to pressure Bryant, averaging 35.7 points, at both ends of the court, with Griffin, Josh Howard, Jerry Stackhouse, Marquis Daniels, Devin Harris and Jason Terry all in the mix.
"We were embarrassed," Johnson said. "How deep does the embarrassment sink? ... It's not about us against a guy. It's about team defense and team offense."
Briefly
Dirk Nowitzki reiterated that basketball is a "team sport" when asked if it bothered him he hasn't been the leading scorer for four games: "I can score 18 points a game the rest of the season if we win the championship."
Nowitzki compared the 14-0 open to the 2002-03 season to the current 11-game winning streak: "That 14-0 didn't get us the ring."

TDMVPDPOY
02-08-2006, 11:55 AM
phil jackson should just stfu, has he ever given credit to any team?

greywheel
02-08-2006, 12:40 PM
I heard that on the radio BEFORE last nights game. I am sure it was good bulletin board material. I wonder how he feels now.

Walton Buys Off Me
02-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Where does he use the word soft?

sa_butta
02-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Where does he use the word soft?He did not the paper did.

bull62400
02-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Where does he use the word soft?
Thats what I was saying to myself when i read it.