PDA

View Full Version : Tirico, Theismann, and Kornheiser to call MNF games for ESPN

TheTruth
02-08-2006, 12:08 PM
ESPN names new MNF team; Breen to call NBA games
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2323121

Mike Tirico, Joe Theismann and Tony Kornheiser will be part of a three-man booth calling the games on Monday nights next season and Suzy Kolber and Michelle Tafoya will be sideline reporters. Kolber and Tafoya both reported from the sidelines for ABC during Super Bowl XL.

"I'm just thrilled to be the next person to take the greatest franchise in television sports history forward," Tirico said on ESPN Radio Wednesday morning.

Also, ESPN announced that Mike Breen will be its new lead NBA play-by-play announcer, teaming with analyst Hubie Brown for ABC telecasts beginning Feb. 12 and including the NBA Finals.

"This Monday Night Football team enthusiastically embraces our vision for sports television's signature series. We will propel MNF into a 21st century, all-day, exclusive, multi-media event that will engage fans in entirely new ways. This team will develop great chemistry," ESPN Executive Vice President John Skipper said.

"Mike Breen is widely respected for his depth of NBA knowledge and his consummate play-by-play skill. We are very excited to provide such a spectacular forum as the NBA Finals to showcase his talents."

In addition, Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon will take Pardon The Interruption on the road on Mondays during the football season. The shows will air from the site of ESPN's Monday Night Football games.

"We look to the future with great enthusiasm and a strong commitment to enhance the presentation of the NFL and the NBA, two of our most important sports properties," ESPN and ABC Sports President George Bodenheimer said.

Al Michaels, the play-by-play voice of Monday Night Football on ABC from 1986 through Sunday's Super Bowl in Detroit, will not return to either broadcast.

Pistons < Spurs
02-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Kornheiser???? :rolleyes :rolleyes Oh No.

Duff McCartney
02-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Kornheiser is hilarious...I like him and Wilbon. It'd be funny to hear them do a game together since they always bash each other.

TheTruth
02-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Yeah, at least Kornheiser (unlike fucking Miller) has a sports background. I just hate Theismann doing games.

dmac
02-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Yeah, at least Kornheiser (unlike fucking Miller) has a sports background. I just hate Theismann doing games.
I couldn't stomach Thiesmann and Maguire.

ShoogarBear
02-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Damn, I like Tony, and I'm a Skins fan, but he and Thiesmann together are going to be way to homeric a combination during a Washington game.

Also, Kornehiser is famous for going to bed early and not traveling outside of the West Coast. I predict he doesn't last very long at the job.

Melmart1
02-08-2006, 01:54 PM
Hubie Brown is doing the NBA Finals again? :bang

N.Y. Johnny
02-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Thank God the Jets stink and won't be on MNF, i get to miss this abortion of an inagural season.

Horry For 3!
02-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Tony Kornheiser is tha shit!

ShoogarBear
02-08-2006, 11:08 PM
You know, the more I think about it, the more I realize that Suzy Kolber should be pissed off.

I don't know how good she would even be in the booth, but she's certainly done more to earn a shot at it than Kornheiser. And no way could she be worse than Theismann.

Melmart1
02-08-2006, 11:17 PM
I would love to see a woman in the booth. But I don't think that will happen.

Turico is OK, his voice can get a little droll sometimes. Kornheiser will be the meant-to-be-funny comic relief, and Theismann will be the inadvertant comic relief.

ShoogarBear
02-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Well, if they want real comic relief, they could bring back Joe Namath to be in the booth with Suzy . . .

Melmart1
02-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Well, if they want real comic relief, they could bring back Joe Namath to be in the booth with Suzy . . .

:lol When they interviewed him during the SB pre-game show, the first thing I thought was "they put him with ANOTHER girl?"... I would want a breathalyzer before I interviewed him. :drunk

TxJudsonRocketTx
02-09-2006, 12:29 AM
Tony Kornheiser is the man and his presence alone will get me to watch MNF games with the sound on. If only him and Wilbon could do every broadcast for every sport, that would be quite enjoyable.

infinite styles
02-09-2006, 11:35 AM

Yeah but Michaels went to NBC so we can be thankful that he won't do anymore finals games.

dmac
02-09-2006, 11:38 AM
you mean Skelator?

Melmart1
02-09-2006, 12:49 PM
you mean Skelator?

that's just mean! :lol

koopa
02-09-2006, 06:24 PM
i think Kornheiser is gonna make a good addition to mnf, he's great on pti, and now i might watch mnf more often, the last few years i haven't watched much cause i can't stand madden so this is great now i'll have something to watch on mondays during the regular season. but now i don't have nothing to watch sunday nights cause i ain't gonna be watching football on nbc cause that's where madden is heading

exstatic
02-09-2006, 07:50 PM
TK is good in small doses, but like Miller, he's going to WEAR on me for 3 hours at a time.

Worst

Crew

Ever.

Melmart1
02-09-2006, 08:56 PM
TK is good in small doses, but like Miller, he's going to WEAR on me for 3 hours at a time.

Worst

Crew

Ever.

Even taking into account the crew that included Dennis Miller? That's pretty harsh.