PDA

View Full Version : Question.

Phenomanul
02-08-2006, 07:31 PM
If I shoot a three, the rebound bouces back behind the midcourt line and I'm the first to touch the basketball is it a back court violation....????

"We was robbed" in a pickup game if it wasn't.

polandprzem
02-08-2006, 07:38 PM
As far as I know it's not a violation. But I'm just 99% sure because of your story.

Horry For 3!
02-08-2006, 07:49 PM
If the oppenent didn't touch it then yes its a backcourt violation.

conqueso
02-08-2006, 07:54 PM
NBA Rules:

Section IX—Ball in Backcourt

a. A player shall not be the first to
touch a ball which he or a teammate
caused to go from frontcourt to
backcourt while his team was in control
of the ball.

EXCEPTION: Rule 8—Section III—e
(EXCEPTION).
b. During a jump ball, a try for a goal, or
a situation in which a player taps the ball
away from a congested area, as during
rebounding, in an attempt to get the ball
out where player control may be
secured, the ball is not in control of
either team. Hence, the restriction on
first touching does not apply.

----------------------

So, if someone shoots and there's a long rebound that goes into the backcourt, it's fair game for either team to take possession of. I'm nearly 100% positive that the rule is the same at any level, since TAPPS (that's the old Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools) used the same rules regarding backcourt. Haven't checked the NCAA site, but I'd bet even money it's the same.

Now, you might have been in a "White Man Can't Jump" situation where the owner of the home court decides the regulations being used, like "House Rules" for pool at a bar. But if you're playing "standard" rules, no violation. Sounds like you got screwed. Shouldn't surprise you though, since that's par for the course on the playground.

polandprzem
02-08-2006, 07:55 PM
If the oppenent didn't touch it then yes its a backcourt violation.
Thats what I thought after some seconds of thinking. Because when you hit the rim and the ball will gom out of bounds than it's opponents basketball.
It is still our ball after the shot. But why then the team who catches the rebound on the defensive end are not promoted by a steal?

polandprzem
02-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Shit - that is when you do not lookm up the rules. :pctoss

Gerryatrics
02-08-2006, 08:24 PM
When it goes out of bounds on your team's shot, the other team gets the ball because your team was the last team to have possession. However, when it stays inbounds after the missed shot the ball is essentially a loose ball with no team in possession until somebody controls the ball, at which time the ball is in that team's possession. Since no team had possession of the ball until you got the rebound and control of the ball, there could be no backcourt violation on the play unless you gained possession in the near court and then stepped over the midcourt line. In other words, you was robbed!

polandprzem
02-08-2006, 08:46 PM
yup - stupid me. It's almost 3am now and I'm almost dead. Not feeling well. And I've got shiity feeling about my basketball knowlage now. Plus the depression symphtoms are an interesting mixture :depressed

SoCalSpursFan
02-08-2006, 08:55 PM
You was robbed.

Phenomanul
02-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Thanks. Now I'll have to print the rules and post them 'annonymously' on the gym wall.

I had to do that when they were calling a turnover everytime the ball hit the top of the backboard.... I told them, "It's only a turnover if the ball is headed behind the backboard... If it bounces forward, it's fair game."

polandprzem
02-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks. Now I'll have to print the rules and post them 'annonymously' on the gym wall.

I had to do that when they were calling a turnover everytime the ball hit the top of the backboard.... I told them, "It's only a turnover if the ball is headed behind the backboard... If it bounces forward, it's fair game."

Maybe it wasn't basketball afterall :rolleyes

sa_butta
02-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Next time just make the shot and there will be no violation:lol

Mixability
02-09-2006, 02:00 PM
If I shoot a three, the rebound bouces back behind the midcourt line and I'm the first to touch the basketball is it a back court violation....????

"We was robbed" in a pickup game if it wasn't.

Here's a tip: Stop shooting 3's. Or have your team practice rebounding. Damn, a rebound off a 3 going all the way to mid court? Were the 9 other players all under the basket?!?! :angel

Spurminator
02-09-2006, 02:03 PM
If you missed a three that badly you deserved to lose anyway.

;)

SouthernFried
02-09-2006, 02:04 PM
That musta been a helluva three point shot, to bounce all the way back over midcourt afterwards.

Or you guys are slow as shit.

;)

Mixability
02-09-2006, 02:11 PM
If you missed a three that badly you deserved to lose anyway.

;)

I kinda picture him shooting the 3 "Peyton Manning" style......

kinda like I did when I was 7 years old.

travis2
02-09-2006, 02:14 PM

Actually, that's not true either. If it hits the top of the backboard, goes behind it, but doesn't hit any of the support structure, it's still a live ball. It's only out of bounds when it hits something.

travis2
02-09-2006, 02:20 PM
On the other hand...I found this...

c. Five sides of the backboard (front, two sides, bottom and top) are considered in play when contacted by the basketball. The back of the backboard and the area directly behind it are out-of-bounds.

I'm confused. I know I've seen a ball go behind the backboard, not hit anything, and remain in play...:wtf

Brutalis
02-09-2006, 02:20 PM
what kind of league? thats illegal in high school.

travis2
02-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Well, this settles it...

b. Any ball that rebounds or passes directly behind the backboard, in either direction, from any point is considered out-of-bounds.

Maybe what I saw was the ball rebounding behind but above the "cylinder" formed by the backboard and enclosing the volume directly behind it...

Phenomanul
02-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Here's a tip: Stop shooting 3's. Or have your team practice rebounding. Damn, a rebound off a 3 going all the way to mid court? Were the 9 other players all under the basket?!?! :angel

Come to think of it, the same thing almost happenned in the Mavericks vs. Lakers game.... I believe it was Dirk Nowitzki off of a missed dunk attempt by Howard.

Anyways, it was a long three and it hit the front of the rim (the rims don't have suspension springs to deaden the bounce)....

nkdlunch
02-09-2006, 03:49 PM
you need to sit your ass on the bench. ball bouncing all the way midcourt? WTF?

Solid D
02-09-2006, 03:49 PM
I've played in games where the guy who brought the ball said "My ball, My Rules".

It's all relative, hegamboa.

GO SPurs Go
02-09-2006, 03:59 PM
NBA Rules:

Section IX—Ball in Backcourt

a. A player shall not be the first to
touch a ball which he or a teammate
caused to go from frontcourt to
backcourt while his team was in control
of the ball.

EXCEPTION: Rule 8—Section III—e
(EXCEPTION).
b. During a jump ball, a try for a goal, or
a situation in which a player taps the ball
away from a congested area, as during
rebounding, in an attempt to get the ball
out where player control may be
secured, the ball is not in control of
either team. Hence, the restriction on
first touching does not apply.

----------------------

So, if someone shoots and there's a long rebound that goes into the backcourt, it's fair game for either team to take possession of. I'm nearly 100% positive that the rule is the same at any level, since TAPPS (that's the old Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools) used the same rules regarding backcourt. Haven't checked the NCAA site, but I'd bet even money it's the same.

Now, you might have been in a "White Man Can't Jump" situation where the owner of the home court decides the regulations being used, like "House Rules" for pool at a bar. But if you're playing "standard" rules, no violation. Sounds like you got screwed. Shouldn't surprise you though, since that's par for the course on the playground.
Some people just got served some owenage appatizer!

Phenomanul
02-09-2006, 04:24 PM
you need to sit your ass on the bench. ball bouncing all the way midcourt? WTF?

Whateva.... it's just a pick-up game.... :king

polandprzem
02-09-2006, 04:46 PM
If the ball is excactly behind the board than it's a out of bounds.
But it is also depends how the referee saw it, the angle and so on.