PDA

View Full Version : Quite Frankly

Kori Ellis
02-09-2006, 01:17 AM
I know most people hate Stephen A. Smith, but do you guys watch his show?

In the times I've watched it (like tonight) it's actually pretty awesome. He's not that obnoxious and his guests are top notch.

Is there another sports show that gets so many top of the line guests all the time?

CharlieMac
02-09-2006, 01:18 AM
He had a classic interview with Pip a while back. I like his show a lot.

HB22inSA
02-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Who's Stephen A. Smith??

Stephen A Smith
02-09-2006, 01:20 AM
Quite Frankly, Thank you...quite frankly.
Did you catch me on Letterman last night? I was HOT...HOT!

HB22inSA
02-09-2006, 01:21 AM
Did you catch me on Letterman last night? I was HOT...HOT!

No, but I caught Beyonce before you came on, and then when they announced you, I turned it off...quite frankly!!

Stephen A Smith
02-09-2006, 01:24 AM
No, but I caught Beyonce before you came on, and then when they announced you, I turned it off...quite frankly!!

Well, quite frankly, you missed when Dave said I smelled great too! That Dave, he is HOT! HOT!

spurs=bling
02-09-2006, 01:26 AM
I know most people hate Stephen A. Smith, but do you guys watch his show?

In the times I've watched it (like tonight) it's actually pretty awesome. He's not that obnoxious and his guests are top notch.

Is there another sports show that gets so many top of the line guests all the time?

when i was gonna see it, my TV turned off by itself. so i guess the TV doesn't like him. :lol

SoCalSpursFan
02-09-2006, 01:26 AM
Stevie A Smith annoys the F out of me...

HOWEVA...

he gets such good guests...seriously...like everybody who is anybody...and thats all I have to say about that.

Also, I'm so happy Kelly Clarkson won Grammy's, I love any chance to watch her.

Too much info?

pking
02-09-2006, 02:35 AM
I saw RJ on there tonight. He mentioned something about SAS and DAL being on the heels of DET and Steven A. said something along the lines of "you dont even need to mention Dallas, they aren't making it out of the west"

TxJudsonRocketTx
02-09-2006, 02:38 AM
Well when the man is right, the man is right.

Card Collector
02-09-2006, 02:41 AM
wasn't it Nate Lundy who said obnoxious was a bad thing when he ran mouse off the radio?

Darrin
02-09-2006, 03:41 AM
I take the man in small doses. He thinks because he played college ball and he has been interviewing these players that he's better than most of the fans that watch his show. I think that neither the fans or media know what it's like to be a professional athlete myself.

I will say this: He is much better on QF than on NBA Shootaround. He's horrible on that show. I am tired of hearing RAAAHHHSO.

But if you can't say something nice, then end the post.

Dingle Barry
02-09-2006, 03:48 AM
I think his voice, face, and entire existence is obnoxious at all times

jochhejaam
02-09-2006, 04:16 AM
I will say this: He is much better on QF than on NBA Shootaround. He's horrible on that show. I am tired of hearing RAAAHHHSO.

Those are my sentiments too. I don't watch QF faithfully but enjoy it when I do but when he's on NBA Shootaround he acts like it's still his show, that's obnoxious!

Darrin
02-09-2006, 09:15 AM
I like him much better as the guy who comes in for 5 minutes and then goes away. Being an in-studio analyst requires degrees of gray in arguments. Like most sports columnists, he lives in a black-and-white world. He is concerned about picking the winner of a game rather than saying "If team X can get back in transition, they will cut off Team Y's offense, making it easier to beat the team."

Who's the better team is different than who is going to win today. There are 82 games and saying the "Bulls don't have a chance at beating the Heat" means, in the long run, the Heat are the better team. But I have yet to see a team in the NBA win all the games they are supposed to, and it's not always the better teams' fault when they do lose. It's just the law of averages.

If I want to know about why a trade was made, I want Steven A. If I want to know how a trade is going to work out, I'm not thrilled with him in that role because he paints two players - good and bad - not communicating that it's expectations that determine that player's perception and perhaps, despite the size of his contract or the previous role that player has had, he may fill a need for the team that traded for said player.

For instance, what New Jersey asked of Keith Van Horn and what Dallas asks of him are two completely different things. Is he worth his contract? No, but that doesn't mean he can't play a vital role for the Dallas Mavericks in their quest to win the West. So expecting KVH to underperform in Dallas doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but that is the type of thing I have heard him say. It's also why I don't like hearing "RAHHSO" because the Spurs expect him to defend on the frontline, double team when asked to, crash the boards, and take shots around the rim. They aren't giving him 15 shots a game so of course his production is down from his days in Minnesota. Now trading for Nazr Mohammad may have been an indication that the Spurs were dissatisfied with his play, and then maybe you start to wonder. But looking at the numbers and telling me a guy sucks...I can do that sitting at my computer right now. I expect analysts to be experts; I don't want to feel smarter than they are. That's why I'm not thrilled about the "voice of the people" concept Disney has tried with guys like Steven A. and Dennis Miller. '

It's not that Steven A. is obnoxious or ignorant; he strikes me as a very intelligent and thoughtful man. There are just certain things about NBA Shootaround that don't play to his strengths -- interviewing, being an insider who's cultivated relationships with the players, and directing traffic on his own show.

Duncanoypi
02-09-2006, 09:18 AM
I'll watch Quite Frankly if any of the spurs players will be the guest....Even if its late night here...i think its 11pm here in Ohio...

specially if the guest is Timmy...

Duncanoypi
02-09-2006, 09:18 AM
wait...i have a question...did they already invited Timmy?

cheguevara
02-09-2006, 09:20 AM
I've seen it a couple of times w/Magic, Iverson. He does speak the brother man talk w/the brothers but does he ever have white guests? :lol not that I care, just curious

Darrin
02-09-2006, 09:25 AM
I've seen it a couple of times w/Magic, Iverson. He does speak the brother man talk w/the brothers but does he ever have white guests? :lol not that I care, just curious

John Elway has been on the show.

Sec24Row7
02-09-2006, 09:26 AM
I need a translator to watch that show, and English is my first language.

He sucks, and always has.

Summers
02-09-2006, 09:54 AM
I thought his interview with Magic was really good, and I even liked his interview of Kobe, even though Kobe usually makes me itchy.

Oh, and John McCain! I almost forgot, but he had him on to talk about the congressional steroid hearings and how McCain wants to regulate boxing better so that boxers don't end up broke and brain-dead at the end of their careers. That was a surprisingly good interview.

Tony Soprano
02-09-2006, 10:05 AM
What are ya wastin' yur time fo with this chump?
Steven A. Smith is a good earner, but he's a chump.
You need ta be watchin' me on HBO.

SenorSpur
02-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Next week he's having NBA legends week to include guests like Oscar Robertson, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson. Should be good viewing.

Darrin
02-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Next week he's having NBA legends week to include guests like Oscar Robertson, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson. Should be good viewing.

God, I hope he goes off on Larry "hick from French Lick" Bird and our need for "white stars." Looks like another show on the Ron Artest fiasco.

Speaking of NBA Legends, apparently since the NBA is turning 60 next season, the boys at TNT and the NBA have come up with an hour special "NBA at 50: The next ten." So if you want to see if Tim Duncan is on that list (HOW CAN HE NOT BE?!?!), tune in before All-Star Saturday Night. Should be good for a site like this. 10 slots and 30 NBA stars in the last 10 years.

leemajors
02-09-2006, 10:29 AM
if he tries to go off on bird, magic will step in.

Darrin
02-09-2006, 10:31 AM
if he tries to go off on bird, magic will step in.

Still, do you think Steve Nash has achieved all that he has, Pau Gasol and Dirk Nowitzki, because the NBA pressures them to be superstars and appeal to their lilly-white fanbase? I think that cheapens the accomplishments of those players by even insinuating that. I think saying that about fans that look like me - it's demeaning; the only way to relate to players is to see ourselves out on the court? I respect the man for voicing his opinion, but I think it's a very narrow view to have.

It also casts a conspicuous eye on his coaching decisions - playing untested Austin Croshere over equally untested Al Harrington and Jonathan Bender; trading Ron Artest for Peja Stojakovic.

It's just as racist as Dennis Rodman calling Bird "just another player" if he were black. And yet, this didn't cause anywhere near the uproar that Rodman's comments did. I can't help but think that has something to do with their status in this league.

angel_luv
02-09-2006, 10:54 AM
I watch if there is nothing else on. The guest are well known and usually interesting.
But every show Stephen Smith finds at least one opportunity to remind me why I dislike him.

The most recent time it was when Kobe Bryant was on.
Stephen to us: "During the commercial break I was telling Kobe it was a shame I was stuck on the Riverwalk this June instead of up in L.A. with him."

That isn't an exact quote but it is pretty close. Anyway you get the spirit of the remark.

SequSpur
02-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Quite Frankly, Quite Frankly is for the black folk. I watched it once. I think Barkley was on.

Stephen Smith is a tool.

Sports is about winning and losing. Any show that goes outside of that, I personally am not interested.

Time and time again, I can't reiterate enough that I don't give a shit about what happens outside the game. I am only interested in whats between the lines, between start and finish and whether or not my teams win.

I don't have time for bullshit shows like Stephen A. Smith.

Solid D
02-09-2006, 11:03 AM
It's good you broke away from your schedule to post your intimate feelings. We're honored.

SequSpur
02-09-2006, 11:04 AM
It's good you broke away from your schedule to post your intimate feelings. We're honored.

Thanks.

sa_butta
02-09-2006, 11:04 AM
I watched when Michael Irvin was on and that was a good show. I have to agree as much as I dislike Stephen A. Smith, this is a good show.

Spurminator
02-09-2006, 11:11 AM
How crazy that you would post this last night... It was actually the first time I ever watched the show and I had the same thoughts. All I caught was the RJ interview, but I found myself enjoying it quite a bit. Perhaps SAS the Interviewer is not as annoying as SAS the Analyst.

He has some great NBA guests coming on next week leading up to All Star Weekend. I may have to watch.

Melmart1
02-09-2006, 11:19 AM
I don't like him as an analyst, but I agree his show is good. Someone mentioned the Michael Irvin show. I saw that one and thought Stephen A. did a good job, he managed to make him look humble for about 30 seconds, which is 29 seconds longer than normal. I am surprised too at his commentary, some of it is not what I would expect from him, based on his past analysis.

SequSpur
02-09-2006, 11:21 AM
All he does is try to go outside the lines which is no ones business.

How is that a good show?

You all must be the Sunday Star readers.

nkdlunch
02-09-2006, 11:25 AM
It's a show broadcast directly from the Brotherhood Headquarters to Stick it to the Man!!

Stephen ASS Smith loves to start with, how is it that a brother from the hood like yourself blah, blah, blah.... quite frankly its a good show, but I just hate that camel looking tool they have as a host

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-09-2006, 04:27 PM
SAS is a goober.

But he does bring in good guests to the show.

Kori Ellis
02-09-2006, 04:31 PM
All he does is try to go outside the lines which is no ones business.

How is that a good show?

You all must be the Sunday Star readers.

I would have thought you would have liked last night's show. Richard Jefferson was sucking Vince Carter's dick more than you do.

Kori Ellis
02-09-2006, 04:34 PM
How crazy that you would post this last night... It was actually the first time I ever watched the show and I had the same thoughts. All I caught was the RJ interview, but I found myself enjoying it quite a bit. Perhaps SAS the Interviewer is not as annoying as SAS the Analyst.
He has some great NBA guests coming on next week leading up to All Star Weekend. I may have to watch.

I think that's the key for me. He's a good interviewer and has very top-notch guests.

Tek_XX
02-09-2006, 04:39 PM
All i know is the Spurs will never be black enough for Stevie Smith.

leemajors
02-09-2006, 04:40 PM
he must have gone into convulsions watching the pacers have pollard, foster, peja and sarunas on the floor with sjax last night then...

T Park
02-09-2006, 04:40 PM
I would have thought you would have liked last night's show. Richard Jefferson was sucking Vince Carter's dick more than you do.

lmao

OWNED!!!!!

T Park
02-09-2006, 04:41 PM
All i know is the Spurs will never be black enough for Stevie Smith.

aint that the truth.

Im sure Van Exel is practically a cracka now just for signing with the Spurs.