PDA

View Full Version : Eastern All-Star Reserves Revealed?

SpursWoman
02-09-2006, 09:39 AM
By PETER VECSEY

February 9, 2006 -- The Nets' Vince Carter and four Pistons are among the seven Eastern All-Star reserves to be officially announced today, The Post has learned.

But in a huge surprise, the Wizards' Gilbert Arenas, the fifth-leading scorer in the league, was left off the reserve squad in voting by Eastern coaches.

That could be remedied, however, when Commissioner David Stern personally selects the replacement for injured starter Jermaine O'Neal of the Pacers.

Carter joins Pistons Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace, Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton as reserves.

Tayshaun Prince is the only...

link (http://www.nypost.com/sports/63247.htm)

Jimcs50
02-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Why is Redd not on the team????

Redd>>>>>Hamilton

MI21
02-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I just saw this.

Bosh is a surpsing choice considering the team he is on. Redd deserves a look in somewhere. All Star is normally stats based so I am surprised to see Rasheed get in (not saying he doesn't deserve it).

kolko
02-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Billups
Rasheed
Ben
Hamilton
Bosh
Carter
Pierce

1Parker1
02-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Coaches actually voted for Rasheed? I thought he would have gotten choosen to replace JO...

Brutalis
02-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Arenas getting screwed. Redd getting screwed. Just so the prissy pistons can have their four?

What the fuck?

Darrin
02-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Arenas getting screwed. Redd getting screwed. Just so the prissy pistons can have their four?

What the fuck?

Both of them have made the team before and the Pistons have felt just as screwed as this has happened in the past. Both Hamilton and Billups are having career years on a deep team that is winning a lot. So what's the problem here?

I'd be arguing Rasheed being named to the team more than the two guards. However, this is Peter Vescey. I believe this is the man who once forecasted Grant Hill taking a 2.2 million dollar mid-level exception to play with Tim Duncan in San Antonio.

SpursWoman
02-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Grant Hill taking a 2.2 million dollar mid-level exception to play with Tim Duncan in San Antonio.

Thank goodness he didn't. :wow :lol

I don't have any issues about the Eastern selection ... there are only so many open spots.

:fro

SequSpur
02-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Redd is an allstar.

Rip is no allstar.

nkdlunch
02-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Arenas deserves to be an allstar more than 3 Pistons and that loser Carter. Fuck this shit.

ducks
02-09-2006, 11:39 AM
I think it is funny 4 players on pistons are going
let them play more games and minutes
let them get a big cocky head and lose to teams like the hawks

Cant_Be_Faded
02-09-2006, 11:44 AM
on a deep team

:lol

hyeah

nkdlunch
02-09-2006, 12:00 PM
is that why the bench plays soooo many minutes on this deep team?

manu
02-09-2006, 12:01 PM
i will pray so manu makes the team, u all should pray too.
hehe yes i heard that miracles do come true, so lets just believe.....come on everyone BELIEVE....!!!!!

nkdlunch
02-09-2006, 12:03 PM
i will pray so manu makes the team, u all should pray too.
hehe yes i heard that miracles do come true, so lets just believe.....come on everyone BELIEVE....!!!!!

no hell no, he doesn't deserve it this year. Every self-respecting Manu fan should know that.

SAGambler
02-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I just saw this.

Bosh is a surpsing choice considering the team he is on. Redd deserves a look in somewhere. All Star is normally stats based so I am surprised to see Rasheed get in (not saying he doesn't deserve it).

Rasheed takes too many "games off" to be on the All Star list...

I guess that being on the "winningest team in the NBA", at least for now, gets him a spot...

manu
02-09-2006, 12:06 PM
no hell no, he doesn't deserve it this year. Every self-respecting Manu fan should know that.

THERE IS THIS THING CALLED SURCASM, it was invented yesterday i think.

SAGambler
02-09-2006, 12:08 PM

I agree that Manu hasn't show all star status thus far this year..

Now, let's hope he's saving it all for the second half and the playoffs...That will be when we need him to step up and be an all star....

ObiwanGinobili
02-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Billups deserves it. But I would've gone with Redd.

and thsi sucks for Arenas.

oh well. there's only 7 spots on reserves - can't pick the whole conferance.

just like I don't think Manu will make it this year. tough titties.

2xspursx2
02-09-2006, 12:19 PM
dont say that cause we got spanked by the hawks pistons lost by only one point off a long game stretch.

Jimcs50
02-09-2006, 12:35 PM
They need to expand the roster to 15 players. Every team carries 15 players, so it follows that they should have 15 players. That way, they can truly reward the deserving players each year.

leemajors
02-09-2006, 12:48 PM
They need to expand the roster to 15 players. Every team carries 15 players, so it follows that they should have 15 players. That way, they can truly reward the deserving players each year.

people would still complain about snubs

vanvannen
02-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Rip is not an all star. Redd and Arenas should be in Houston.

JamStone
02-09-2006, 12:58 PM

And, should the last three players on each team be on the "Inactive List" and sit on the bench in suits just so they can have the honor of being "selected" to the all star game?

Gilbert Arenas should be on the all star team. He still may be named as the injury replacement. I would have also guessed him before Rip Hamilton.

I think it's a close call between Michael Redd and Rip Hamilton:

REDD
25.1 ppg
2.9 apg
4.5 rpg
.441 FG%
.406 3-pt%
.853 FT%
1.13 spg
2.28 TO

HAMILTON
21.6 ppg
3.4 apg
3.4 rpg
.499 FG%
.446 3-pt%
.865 FT%
.69 spg
2.17 TO

They really have similar stats. I think the fact that Rip had not been selected before and how good the Pistons' record is certainly played a role in the coaches' minds. I don't think it's huge injustice even if you argue that Redd is better than Rip. The stats clearly show that neither player is obviously better than the other. Redd scores more and gets more steals and rebounds. Rip shoots a little better in every shooting category and gets a few more asists. I think it's a toss-up between Redd and Rip, and as a Pistons fan, I'm glad Rip got some recognition when he hasn't had it before this year.

As for Rasheed Wallace not deserving, I would agree his stats are not all that impressive for an all-star. I would even agree that some nights he apears not to be fully focused. But, after Jermaine O'Neal and Chris Bosh, I have a tough time thinking of a better power forward in the Eastern Conference. Now, I know they don't go by specific position. It's "forwards" and "guards" and "centers." But, to keep the team somewhat balanced, I'm sure the coaches generally pick a point guard and shooting guard, small forward and power forward in their coaches' votes. The only forwards that I could make even a little argument for are Chris Webber, Antawn Jamison, and Dwight Howard. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Dwight Howard on the all-star team. Webber is having a better year than Rasheed stats-wise, but I don't think there are many people who feel he deserves to be an all star this year. Jamison is ok, but again, better than Rasheed? It's arguable at best. If just thinking of "forwards," maybe Richard Jefferson has an argument ... maybe. But, if you really think of Eastern Conference power forwards, even forwards in general, there aren't many that should be outraged they were not chosen ahead of Rasheed. Put Webber or Jamison on the Pistons, do they get much more than 15 ppg and 7 rpg?

I would have had no problem if Dwight Howard or Chris Webber (strictly based on statistics) made it ahead of Rasheed Wallace on the all star team. But, I think in the converse, there is no problem with Rasheed making it ahead of them either.

mando6599
02-09-2006, 01:04 PM

Wait a sec, ducks, we lost to the lowly Hawks too, so don't go pointing fingers like that. You can say the same for the Spurs then, too.

mando

JamStone
02-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Rip is not an all star. Redd and Arenas should be in Houston.

Rip ranks #3 in 3-pt%.

At .499, Rip is ranked 21st in FG%, as a guard, that is very impressive. The only guards that shoot better from the field are Tony Parker and Andre Iguodala. But, what is more impressive is the fact that the majority of his shots are jumpers while Tony Parker takes more lay-ups and floaters and Iguodala is a dunker.

Rip is the leading scorer of the team with the best record in the league. The other top teams' leading scorers are:

Dallas: Dirk Nowitzki
San Antonio: Tim Duncan
Phoenix: Shawn Marion
Miami: Dwyane Wade
Cleveland: LeBron James
LA Clippers: Elton Brand

All all-stars, with the possible exception of Marion.

I agree that Gilbert Arenas should be an all-star. But, Redd and Rip is and was a toss-up. They are both having great years. And, if you think of team dynamics, Rip might be a better choice. Redd scores more, but the second leading scorer on the Bucks averages 14.7 ppg. The Pistons have three other guys (not including Rip) who average more than that.

Arenas is definitely an all star caliber player. Redd also deserves to be an all star based on his season. But, so does Rip. Just like every year, some worthy players will be left off the all star roster. That's just how it goes.

Phenomanul
02-09-2006, 01:13 PM
ObiwanGinobili

Love that Sean Marks theme..... :tu :tu

WayDowntownBang
02-09-2006, 01:46 PM
This is rediculous. Tayshaun Prince should be in this game. He got ripped off.

rayray2k8
02-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Is this some kind of joke??

rayray2k8
02-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Now the west doesnt have a chance of winning the ASG :lol

Ernie
02-09-2006, 02:26 PM
let them get a big cocky head

You even talk to me like that in the tub. :depressed

rayray2k8
02-09-2006, 02:27 PM
You even talk to me like that in the tub. :depressed

Oh christ... it will never end with these damn trolls...
all thats needed is bush to respond.

George W Bush
02-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Oh christ...

You rang?

Tanya
02-09-2006, 05:49 PM
I think Rip deserves to go. If he is not an all-star, Redd is not too. Since Rip is on the more balanced team so he doesn't need to do as much as Redd does for Bucks. Look at the stats and the record, Rip sure deserves it.
Resheed also deserves to go if J. Oneal will not able to play. Again Resheed is on a team that has the best starting five. He just plays unselfish. He is a good defender and he knows when to shoot and when to pass. He will be a good FG in any teams.

smeagol
02-09-2006, 05:52 PM

Pssst! We lost to the Hawks too . . .

FreshPrince22
02-09-2006, 06:02 PM
You could argue against Sheed if JO was playing, and he made it over Bosh, but the other guys?

Webber (stats with no substance, why are the sixers no better with him?)
Howard (Great player, awful team. He's 20. He'll see tons of AS games in the future)

Who else is there?

himat
02-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Redd is an allstar.

Rip is no allstar.

rip is an allstar, and so is redd. for once the piston gaurds are not the ones left off. there is always deserving gaurds left off in the east, and there is always deserving forwards left of in the west.

himat
02-09-2006, 06:03 PM
This is rediculous. Tayshaun Prince should be in this game. He got ripped off.

that would be nice there is a slim chance. a lot of coachs voted for all 5 pistons. these are the players that probably will go.