PDA

View Full Version : I owe...

Old School Chic
02-09-2006, 05:11 PM
I just got a call from H&R block and the guy tells me I am going to end up owing the IRS :depressed

I was like WTF?

He says It's probably because I claimed married on my W-4 form. I told him Isn't that what a married person supposed to do? He says If you don't want to owe the IRS next year, then you need to change your W-4 to single ASAP!
I'm confused. Can I do that? I mean, I would hate to walk in to the human resources office at my job and say I need to change my W-4 form to single, when they all know I'm married. :oops

Does anyone here have any Income Tax knowledge? If so, please help!

SpursWoman
02-09-2006, 05:17 PM
You still claim married, but how many deductions/personal allowances do you have on your W4 ... like Married 2 ... whatever?

You can change it to Married & "0" and have additional $$ for taxes taken out if you need to.

Old School Chic
02-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Change it. You can do what you want its your business not theirs. I do it where I work and it helps to claim a bunch of kids too. Listed single filed joint with my non-working wife and claimed 2 kids on 48K income my return was 6,100.00. Then we went on a nice spending spree.

Thank you~
I just printed a new W-4 form. I will send it via Interoffice mail first thing tomorrow morning. I hate the thought of owing the IRS, though. :depressed
There goes my shopping plans...

easjer
02-09-2006, 05:24 PM
I never changed it from single to married, on the advice of friends who would know about this stuff. I'm glad too, since I've heard more than one person say what you've said, but the biggest problem is accidentally claiming exemptions/deductions/personal allowances. Those things will get you every time.

Old School Chic
02-09-2006, 05:24 PM
You still claim married, but how many deductions/personal allowances do you have on your W4 ... like Married 2 ... whatever?

You can change it to Married & "0" and have additional $$ for taxes taken out if you need to.

I have always claimed single 0 deps, even though I have been married 7 years.
But, I changed it last year to married and 0 deps and I got screwed. :depressed

Old School Chic
02-09-2006, 05:26 PM
I never changed it from single to married, on the advice of friends who would know about this stuff. I'm glad too, since I've heard more than one person say what you've said, but the biggest problem is accidentally claiming exemptions/deductions/personal allowances. Those things will get you every time.

As a matter of fact my brother has been divorced for 3 years now and he never changed it to single and he owes $450.00 to Bush's famous plan.

SpursWoman
02-09-2006, 05:35 PM
Here is a really good estimator to help you fill out a new W4...I just did it to update mine. :)

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/page/0,,id=14806,00.html

Shelly
02-09-2006, 05:35 PM
My husband and I have always claimed Married and 0.

Every Ironworker we ever hire always claims Married with 9 dependants! :lol

Shelly
02-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Also, I do payroll, so I can figure out what your check will be if you want to play around with figures.

SpursWoman
02-09-2006, 05:36 PM

That's okay ... with the mortgage interest I pay & the child care & child tax credits....it just told me I needed to file:

S & 14

:wow :lol

jcrod
02-09-2006, 05:37 PM

:lol So what are you trying to say?

Old School Chic
02-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Here is a really good estimator to help you fill out a new W4...I just did it to update mine. :)

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/page/0,,id=14806,00.html

Thank you, SW. I think I better start working on having some kids of my own.
We are trying, though. We arehoping It happens this year. :spin

No wonder my Sisters and Bothers in law are happier then usual around income tax time. They all have kids. :depressed

Shelly
02-09-2006, 05:43 PM
:lol So what are you trying to say?

My field superintendent and I call it the I/W standard. Since we're union, he hires out of the union hall and says most of them are one step ahead of the law.

Which is probably true, because I always get garnishment of wages for back child support and/or taxes.

Shelly
02-09-2006, 05:45 PM
That's okay ... with the mortgage interest I pay & the child care & child tax credits....it just told me I needed to file:

S & 14

:wow :lol

I think you can claim up to 10, but anything over that you have to report to the IRS.

User and you need to get busy! You have 12 more chitlins to make!

sa_butta
02-09-2006, 05:50 PM
I claim 2 on my w-4 and I am married filed jointly.
I got a nice refund claiming my daughter.

Old School Chic
02-09-2006, 05:50 PM
I think you can claim up to 10, but anything over that you have to report to the IRS.

User and you need to get busy! You have 12 more chitlins to make!

:spin Ge to work!

Shelly
02-09-2006, 05:52 PM

So, I take it you beat your ex to it?

SpursWoman
02-09-2006, 05:52 PM
That's from the actual IRS site .... and they are the ones that said 14, and that that would cease all withholding because I've already paid in more than what I'll owe.

I was only going to do 10 anyway....just in case. :lol

I dunno about 12 more kids, if only because if I started right now...and got pregnant immediately one after the other, I wouldn't be done until I was 43 ... and that shit just ain't happinin'. :lol

ObiwanGinobili
02-09-2006, 05:54 PM

glad to know that all worked out for you! :)

SpursWoman
02-09-2006, 05:55 PM
You need to write some stuff off like did you move this year if so then you say I moved for my job then use the reciepts for the movers and the downpayment on the house or deposit you left on your APT.

Did you buy a vehicle this year write the intrest off and say its used to run around in for work.

Donate junk to goodwill and they give you a blank reciept I sent LadyBishop to goodwill donating junk like every other week I had six reciepts and wrote in anywhere from $180 to $220 on every reciept just don't go over $250 per reciept because they ask questions.

Hell I wrote off my laptop for work even though all I really use it for is to troll around on spurstalk.

If your not cheating your not trying!

As a professional accountant ... you just made my eyes bleed. :wow :lol

Old School Chic
02-09-2006, 05:59 PM
You need to write some stuff off like did you move this year if so then you say I moved for my job then use the reciepts for the movers and the downpayment on the house or deposit you left on your APT.

Did you buy a vehicle this year write the intrest off and say its used to run around in for work.

Donate junk to goodwill and they give you a blank reciept I sent LadyBishop to goodwill donating junk like every other week I had six reciepts and wrote in anywhere from $180 to $220 on every reciept just don't go over $250 per reciept because they ask questions.

Hell I wrote off my laptop for work even though all I really use it for is to troll around on spurstalk.

If your not cheating your not trying!

Oh, ok. :wow

JoeChalupa
02-09-2006, 06:07 PM
I don't claim single because I want to use my money and not let the govt use my money interest free. Don't get a bunch back at income tax filing time but we get more use of our money during the year.

Old School Chic
02-09-2006, 06:15 PM
I don't claim single because I want to use my money and not let the govt use my money interest free. Don't get a bunch back at income tax filing time but we get more use of our money during the year.

JC, that's what I was trying to do, but as you can see it didn't work out for me. I guess Looter got more this year then I did. :depressed

sa_butta
02-09-2006, 06:18 PM
So, I take it you beat your ex to it?Actually I was very nice and split it with her...
After I paid the rent of course.

bigzak25
02-09-2006, 06:26 PM
I just got a call from H&R block and the guy tells me I am going to end up owing the IRS :depressed

I was like WTF?

He says It's probably because I claimed married on my W-4 form. I told him Isn't that what a married person supposed to do? He says If you don't want to owe the IRS next year, then you need to change your W-4 to single ASAP!
I'm confused. Can I do that? I mean, I would hate to walk in to the human resources office at my job and say I need to change my W-4 form to single, when they all know I'm married. :oops

Does anyone here have any Income Tax knowledge? If so, please help!

so your saying your married? :pctoss

Old School Chic
02-09-2006, 07:20 PM
so your saying your married? :pctoss

Yes, I am. :spin to a South San Bobcat 87'

HB22inSA
02-09-2006, 08:41 PM
to a South San Bobcat
Since when is that a good thing??

Just kidding...maybe.

Anyway...

Just get divorced, it's so much easier that way.

:)

Old School Chic
02-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Since when is that a good thing??

Just kidding...maybe.

Anyway...

Just get divorced, it's so much easier that way.

:)

No, thank you! :nope