PDA

View Full Version : First-grader suspended for sex harassment

MaNuMaNiAc
02-09-2006, 05:56 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/02/09/sex.harass.ap/index.html

BROCKTON, Massachusetts. (AP) -- A 6-year-old boy is getting a lesson on the meaning of sexual harassment long before he'll be able to spell it.

The first-grader was suspended for three days for sexual harassment after he put two fingers inside a classmate's waistband, school officials told his mother, Berthena Dorinvil. The boy told her he only touched the girl's shirt after the girl touched him.

Experts say only in rare, troubling cases can children that young truly sexually harass one another. (Watch why the mother says she can't explain it to her son -- 1:27 (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:cnnVideo%28%27play%27,%27/video/us/2006/02/09/przybyl.ma.1st.grade.sexual.harrassment.whdh%27,%2 72006/02/16%27%29;))

"The connotation is you're getting some kind of sexual gratification, or wanting sexual gratification, or are putting pressure on for some kind of sexual gratification, when a 6-year-old doesn't have that capacity," said E. Christopher Murray, a civil rights attorney who has handled school discipline cases.

Dr. Elizabeth Berger, a Philadelphia-area child psychiatrist, said this case seems to be an overzealous attempt to ensure students feel safe in school after years in which society was not attentive enough.

The boy's mother called the January 30 suspension from Downey Elementary School outrageous. She said she can't even explain to her son what he did wrong because he's too young to understand.

"He doesn't know those things," she told The Enterprise of Brockton. "He's only 6 years old."

Brockton school officials have not commented beyond a statement from Superintendent Basan Nembirkow that said sexual harassment charges are always investigated and officials are trained to deal with them.

The Brockton School Committee defines sexual harassment among students, in part, as "uninvited physical contact such as touching, hugging, patting or pinching."

First-graders who repeatedly touch classmates need to be disciplined and taught what's appropriate, said Nan Stein, a senior research scientist at the Center for Research on Women at Wellesley College. But don't call the apparent discipline problem "sexual harassment" because first-graders just don't get it, she said.

There have been similar cases. In 1996, a New York second-grader was suspended for kissing a girl and ripping a button off her skirt -- an idea the boy said he got from his favorite book "Corduroy," about a bear with a missing button. Earlier that year, a Lexington, North Carolina, 6-year-old was separated from his class after kissing a classmate on the cheek.

All I can say is WHAT THE FUCK??? Is the American culture getting a little too paranoid these days?? I just don't get it. How can that be construded as sexual harrasment, what a crock of shit! and to be suspended for kissing a classmate on the cheek?? "OH THE HUMANITY!!!" http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

Also what the hell is up with all the censuring going on?? What the hell was up with the Super Bowl and the Stones?? Why even choose the Stones if you're going to edit all the f'n songs!!? Doesn't surprise me though, I have to say, after the whole Janet Jackson thing that got blown out WAY the hell out of proportion! It was a breast for gods sake! If they keep this shit up, you people are going to end up like the muslims who censure everything to keep temptation from their lives! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

SpursWoman
02-09-2006, 05:58 PM
My daughter was suspended in kindergarten for flipping off her teacher. She had no clue what it meant, but she'd seen an older kid doing it at recess. But they suspended her anyway.

Her kindergarten teacher was a bitch, btw. :flipoff

sa_butta
02-09-2006, 06:01 PM
But really how can a first grader know anything about getting any sexual gratification. Besides I dont think there was any sexaul intention with putting two fingers and her wasteband in this incident.

MaNuMaNiAc
02-09-2006, 06:01 PM
My daughter was suspended in kindergarten for flipping off her teacher. She had no clue what it meant, but she'd seen an older kid doing it at recess. But they suspended her anyway.

Her kindergarten teacher was a bitch, btw. :flipoffexactly! Hope you at least flipped off the teacher, so that at least the suspension wasn't for nothing http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

2Blonde
02-09-2006, 06:18 PM
That is too ridiculous for words. :rolleyes

When my daughter was in Pre-K she chased a little boy all around the playground becase she wanted to kiss him. When I asked her why she wanted to kiss him,she said "because he has the cutest dimples". Thank god we didn't sued for sexual harrassment ! :lol

bigzak25
02-09-2006, 06:19 PM
that little girl is obviously a lying whore who asked for it. :tu

sa_butta
02-09-2006, 06:21 PM
That is too ridiculous for words. :rolleyes

When my daughter was in Pre-K she chased a little boy all around the playground becase she wanted to kiss him. When I asked her why she wanted to kiss him,she said "because he has the cutest dimples". Thank god we didn't sued for sexual harrassment ! :lolThat is funny actually. These are first graders for gods sake, give them a break. Dont you think by punishing them now for that kind of stuff will raise their curiosity even higher?

SpursWoman
02-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Or maybe she learned it from Mom.

Nope.

bigzak25
02-09-2006, 06:24 PM
you know...when i first read he put his two fingers in...i wasn't expecting waistband...

at least THEN, it would have been a justifiable charge...:lol

sa_butta
02-09-2006, 06:26 PM
you know...when i first read he put his two fingers in...i wasn't expecting waistband...

at least THEN, it would have been a justifiable charge...:lolI was thinking the same thing I was like OH MY GOD he put his fingers where? oh on her waistband. nevermind

SpursWoman
02-09-2006, 06:45 PM
I was thinking the same thing I was like OH MY GOD he put his fingers where? oh on her waistband. nevermind

No shit :lol

Melmart1
02-09-2006, 06:48 PM
I am glad I am not the only pervert in this forum who was thinking that. :lol

gatoloco
02-09-2006, 06:50 PM
I am glad I am not the only pervert in this forum who was thinking that. :lol

Welcome to The Club! :smokin

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Our society is spinning down the toilet.