PDA

View Full Version : Barry Manilow first on the charts!?

MaNuMaNiAc
02-09-2006, 06:00 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/02/09/music.sales.reut/index.html

NEW YORK (Billboard) -- Barry Manilow topped the U.S. pop charts for the first time in nearly 29 years Wednesday with an album of pop evergreens released in time for Valentine's Day.

"The Greatest Songs of the Fifties" (Arista), featuring versions of such tunes as "Unchained Melody" and "Love is a Many Splendored Thing," sold 156,000 copies in the week ended February 5, according to Nielsen SoundScan data.

His lone prior chart-topper came in July 1977 with the double LP "Live." His last album, "Scores: Songs From Copacabana and Harmony," released on the Concord jazz label, peaked at No. 47 in 2004.

"It's not only a genuine thrill to see the album enter the charts at Number One, but it's truly an historic occasion for both of us," said a statement from Arista Records founder Clive Davis, who first worked with Manilow in 1974 on the Grammy-nominated "Mandy."

Added Manilow, "I've had some pretty amazing experiences in my career, but this one tops them all ... I swear, if you live long enough, anything is possible!"

Last week's champion, pop-opera quartet Il Divo's "Ancora," fell five places to No. 6 with 93,000 copies.

Mary J. Blige's "The Breakthrough" jumped two places to No. 2 with 123,000 copies. The album has for weeks been dueling for No. 1 honors with Jamie Foxx's "Unpredictable," which slipped one place to No. 4 with 95,000 units.

Earning his highest Billboard 200 chart position ever, Italian singer Andrea Bocelli took the No. 3 slot with "Amore," which sold 113,000 copies. The album features duets with Stevie Wonder and Christina Aguilera.

Heather Headley's "In My Mind" debuted at No. 5 to become the Tony Award-winning performer's first top 10 album on The Billboard 200. The album sold a couple hundred fewer copies than Foxx's "Unpredictable" at 95,000, but unseated that set from the No. 1 slot on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart due to stronger sales in the stores that make up that chart's contributing panel. Headley's previous release, "This Is Who I Am," peaked at No. 38 on The Billboard 200 in 2002.

The Eminem retrospective "Curtain Call: The Hits" rose one to No. 7 with 78,000 copies, switching places with Carrie Underwood's "Some Hearts," which sold 74,000 copies.

English balladeer James Blunt's "Back to Bedlam" rebounded two places to its previous peak position of No. 9, selling 71,000 copies in its 18th week on the chart.

Train's "For Me, It's You" bowed at No. 10 with 62,000 copies, considerably lower than the 87,000 sold by "My Private Nation," when it opened at No. 6 in 2003.

Other debuts included the compilation "Monster Ballads: Platinum Edition" (No. 18), the collection "WOW Gospel 2006" (No. 20), She Want's Revenge's self-titled album (No. 38), the Temptations' "Reflections" (No. 80) and Jamey Johnson's "The Dollar" (No. 87).

http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif Weird!

MaNuMaNiAc
02-09-2006, 06:41 PM
am I the only on who finds this weird???

ShoogarBear
02-09-2006, 06:43 PM
Yes, you are the only one.

The rest of us know that He is Music, and He writes the Songs.

The sone
02-09-2006, 06:54 PM
"her name was lola...
she was a showgirl...
with yellow feathers in her hair, and a dress cut down to there...
she would merenge...and do the cha-cha, and while she tried to be a star tony always tended bar, across the crowded floor, they worked from eight till four...
they were young and they had each other who could ask for more...
at the copa...copa cabana..."

so sad that i know that...but that song kicks ass...

ShoogarBear
02-09-2006, 07:12 PM
so sad that i know that
So brokeback you know that.

KEDA
02-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Barry Manilow is the MAN!!!!

MaNuMaNiAc
02-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Yes, you are the only one.

The rest of us know that He is Music, and He writes the Songs.yeah, then the rest of you can explain why the last time he was first on the charts was 29 years ago Einstein

Melmart1
02-09-2006, 09:00 PM
yeah, then the rest of you can explain why the last time he was first on the charts was 29 years ago Einstein

The Beatles, Elvis, etc go years without being on the charts between compilation records. Does not mean they are not great. Manilow has a lot of classic songs, and going nealry 30 years between chart toppers does not negate how good the past ones were (and still are).

And now I will have Copa Cabana in my head the rest of the night. Thanks, Sone! :pctoss

ChumpDumper
02-09-2006, 09:01 PM
yeah, then the rest of you can explain why the last time he was first on the charts was 29 years ago EinsteinBecause they actually track sales accurately now, for one thing. There's gonna be all kinds of old farts on the charts now that the boomers are retireing.

MaNuMaNiAc
02-09-2006, 10:56 PM
The Beatles, Elvis, etc go years without being on the charts between compilation records. Does not mean they are not great. Manilow has a lot of classic songs, and going nealry 30 years between chart toppers does not negate how good the past ones were (and still are).

And now I will have Copa Cabana in my head the rest of the night. Thanks, Sone! :pctossYou're going to sit there and compare the Beatles and Elvis to Barry freaking Manilow ?? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif Hilarious. Give me a break!

Horry For 3!
02-09-2006, 10:58 PM
I have the Barry Manilow Greatest Hits CD, also made one for my mother.

Melmart1
02-09-2006, 11:31 PM
You're going to sit there and compare the Beatles and Elvis to Barry freaking Manilow ?? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif Hilarious. Give me a break!

They are all three legends (though obviously on different levels) who are past their peak but can still sell albums. That was the comparison. Makes sense to me.

exstatic
02-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Weird Manilow factoid:

He wrote the old McDonald jingle "You deserve a break today, so get up and get away to McDonalds...we do it all for you".

He also wrote the "I am stuck on Bandaid brand and bandaid's stuck on me" and "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there..."

MaNuMaNiAc
02-09-2006, 11:47 PM
They are all three legends (though obviously on different levels) who are past their peak but can still sell albums. That was the comparison. Makes sense to me.Fine, its still damn weird that Manilow can still sell albums, that's what I'm getting at

ShoogarBear
02-09-2006, 11:56 PM
Why is it weird? He's been alive forever. And he wrote the very first song.

ShoogarBear
02-09-2006, 11:57 PM
And WTF do you have all your vBookie riding on?

midgetonadonkey
02-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Mandy is one of the greatest songs ever written by a homosexual male.