PDA

View Full Version : The Showbie Commercial

slayermin
02-10-2006, 02:37 AM
I don't hate you for any of the reasons you listed.

I hate you because you are spinning, egotistical ballhog. People can talk about that 81 point game all they want. But one, it wasn't during the playoffs, two it was against the Raptors, and three, you were trying to pile it on at the end. In fact, if you didn't get a couple of whistles down the stretch, you might have shot Toronto back into the game.

You only care about yourself and YOU are the main reason Lamar Odom has digressed since being traded from the Heat.

Screw you, Phyllis, and the bandwagoning Lacker Fans.

Darrin
02-10-2006, 05:35 AM
Man, get over it. I'm not the biggest fan of Kobe Bryant, but I don't see anyone else who plays against the Raptors scoring 81, and it's not like there aren't a bunch of players with the same green light to shoot the ball Kobe has (Arenas, AI, T-Mac, Ray Allen, Pierce, etc).

And every great scoring performance has players "piling on" towards the end. When Wilt had 52 at halftime of his 100 point game, his teammates ASKED HIM if he wanted to get 100; you don't think they "force-fed" him the ball? Name me the starters on the '62 Knicks.

Stackhouse is the Pistons All-Time leading scorer for a single game, 57 points. Mateen Cleaves was force-feeding the ball into Stack that night in Chicago. The fans, opposing fans, were chanting his name, even after he broke Jordan's United Center record of 52. That's more points between Stackhouse and Kobe than between Kobe and Wilt. Most great scoring performances are an exhibition.

Is he my favorite player? No. But when someone puts on a great performance, I don't let my opinion get in the way of the facts. Give the man his due and watch his team struggle to make the playoffs.

Medvedenko
02-10-2006, 10:51 AM
I guess a Lamar should be averaging 20, 15, 5....because he only averages 15, 10, 5 which not people in the NBA are doing.....please Slayermin, you're drinking too much haterade to even acknowledge seeing a hall of famer in their prime dominating games. Also as much as the whole "he doesn't make his teammates better" arguement....remember it's one thing to average 10 assists in a game to actually play defense for the other 4 guys on the court.

slayermin
02-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Man, get over it. I'm not the biggest fan of Kobe Bryant, but I don't see anyone else who plays against the Raptors scoring 81, and it's not like there aren't a bunch of players with the same green light to shoot the ball Kobe has (Arenas, AI, T-Mac, Ray Allen, Pierce, etc).

And every great scoring performance has players "piling on" towards the end. When Wilt had 52 at halftime of his 100 point game, his teammates ASKED HIM if he wanted to get 100; you don't think they "force-fed" him the ball? Name me the starters on the '62 Knicks.

Stackhouse is the Pistons All-Time leading scorer for a single game, 57 points. Mateen Cleaves was force-feeding the ball into Stack that night in Chicago. The fans, opposing fans, were chanting his name, even after he broke Jordan's United Center record of 52. That's more points between Stackhouse and Kobe than between Kobe and Wilt. Most great scoring performances are an exhibition.

Is he my favorite player? No. But when someone puts on a great performance, I don't let my opinion get in the way of the facts. Give the man his due and watch his team struggle to make the playoffs.

I don't hate Kobe, literally. I just don't like what he represents. I guess living in LA compounds my dislike for him. Overall, I know he's a great player but I cannot stand his ego. If it wasn't for Shaq, he isn't a champion, which is one of the reasons we supposedly hate him.

The 81 point game isn't even in the same ballpark as Jordan's 63 at the Boston Garden. I remember watching that game live and that is the greatest single game I have witnessed by a player. That is the kind of game you print up commemorative t-shirts.

I guess a Lamar should be averaging 20, 15, 5....because he only averages 15, 10, 5 which not people in the NBA are doing.....please Slayermin, you're drinking too much haterade to even acknowledge seeing a hall of famer in their prime dominating games. Also as much as the whole "he doesn't make his teammates better" arguement....remember it's one thing to average 10 assists in a game to actually play defense for the other 4 guys on the court.

15ppg is good for a top flight sixth man. Lamar is the second option on a team with an alleged Hall of Famer.

Trainwreck2100
02-11-2006, 11:25 PM
I'm so glad that he can now make money off of commercials after raping that girl.

E20
02-12-2006, 12:05 AM
I'm so glad that he can now make money off of commercials after raping that girl.
He was innoncent though.

Trainwreck2100
02-12-2006, 12:14 AM
He was innoncent though.

He was acquited after the girl filed a civil suit, which I believe was settled out of court. And statements he made to the police were thrown out. All signs of an innocent man.

Darrin
02-12-2006, 12:53 AM
"And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto Him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto Him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the Law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest Thou?"
"But Jesus stooped down, and with His finger wrote on the ground, as though He heard them not. So when they continued asking Him, He lifted up Himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again He stooped down, and wrote on the ground."

"And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst."

"When Jesus had lifted up Himself, and saw none but the woman, He said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?"

"She said, No man, Lord."

"And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."

John 8:2-11 KJV

Trainwreck2100
02-12-2006, 01:01 AM
"And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto Him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto Him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the Law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest Thou?"
"But Jesus stooped down, and with His finger wrote on the ground, as though He heard them not. So when they continued asking Him, He lifted up Himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again He stooped down, and wrote on the ground."

"And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst."

"When Jesus had lifted up Himself, and saw none but the woman, He said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?"

"She said, No man, Lord."

John 8:2-11 KJV

And Moses also sayeth, thou shalt not beareth false witness."

Yea unto thee Kobe sayeth. "I had sexual relations but it was consentual" And the Colorado Courts rulith that Kobe's statements madith to the polce officers would notith be admissable" "And than the accuser doth decided to cashith in on the crime" So the law could do nothing" "And Kobe in his great innocence settled out of court for fear of being innocent"

And then they feasted on lamb, breakfast cereals, and arangutangs.

Amen

E20
02-12-2006, 01:01 AM
You forget to mention the girls medical records. The statements he made to police where more along the lines of him just cheating on his wife and how other players have girls all the time, he never admitted to rape. Kate Faber, a trailer trash whore, was also known as a cunt who would do anything that moves. Kobe Bryant issued a statement read by his attorney. "Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way that I did." Anybody who doesn't see this as the girl wanting to get some money has had too much haterade. I think the complaint against Byrant was dropped not becaue of threats, which were all aggressors were apprhended, but more along the lines of we don't have anything else to present. The only thing I think Byrant did was stupid was actually doing her, she isn't that attractive and if Kobe needed some he had Vanessa Byrant waiting for him.

Darrin
02-12-2006, 01:07 AM
I don't hate Kobe, literally. I just don't like what he represents. I guess living in LA compounds my dislike for him. Overall, I know he's a great player but I cannot stand his ego. If it wasn't for Shaq, he isn't a champion, which is one of the reasons we supposedly hate him.

The 81 point game isn't even in the same ballpark as Jordan's 63 at the Boston Garden. I remember watching that game live and that is the greatest single game I have witnessed by a player. That is the kind of game you print up commemorative t-shirts.

Ego, arrogance, bravado - it's in everyone that has to make it to that level. It was in Magic, it was in DRob, and Isiah. I'm not asking you to like Kobe Bryant, all I am saying is that his attitude towards the game is that ill-defined "it." We want KG to demand the ball more, right? What makes him demand the ball is the absolute belief that he is better than 23 other guys in the gym that night. The only way to get away from that is to stop watching professional sports or really anyone who's successful. They have to believe when the whole world says it's impossible, and that's arrogant.

I'm with you on the postseason vs. the regular season scoring numbers. First, every team you play is above .500, and the Raptors definitely aren't. And secondly, Jordan played against 4 future Hall-of-Famers (Bird, Parish, McHale, Walton) and one that should be (Dennis Johnson).

I mentioned Stackhouse's scoring night of 57 in April of 2001. I hold Chauncey Billups' 40 points in an elimination game in much higher respects.

But why is this an either/or situation? Why can't we celebrate Kobe's achievement for what it was, and Jordan for his? We keep seperate stats for the playoffs and NBA Finals for a reason; they mean more.

E20
02-12-2006, 01:11 AM
Why can't anybody give credit for the guy who scored 81 points since like 20 years?

Darrin
02-12-2006, 01:12 AM
You forget to mention the girls medical records. The statements he made to police where more along the lines of him just cheating on his wife and how other players have girls all the time, he never admitted to rape. Kate Faber, a trailer trash whore, was also known as a cunt who would do anything that moves. Kobe Bryant issued a statement read by his attorney. "Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way that I did." Anybody who doesn't see this as the girl wanting to get some money has had too much haterade. I think the complaint against Byrant was dropped not becaue of threats, which were all aggressors were apprhended, but more along the lines of we don't have anything else to present. The only thing I think Byrant did was stupid was actually doing her, she isn't that attractive and if Kobe needed some he had Vanessa Byrant waiting for him.

Denying judgement goes for both the accuser and the accused. We don't know what happened, and the only reason why we are talking about this rape case and not hundreds of thousands of rape cases that happen in this country every year is because Kobe Bean Bryant puts a ball through a metal rim at his job.

Wherever you stand in this case, it's gossip no matter who's side you choose in a he-said, she-said.

E20
02-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Denying judgement goes for both the accuser and the accused. We don't know what happened, and the only reason why we are talking about this rape case and not hundreds of thousands of rape cases that happen in this country every year is because Kobe Bean Bryant puts a ball through a metal rim at his job.

Wherever you stand in this case, it's gossip no matter who's side you choose in a he-said, she-said.
The side I stand on reflects that the accused makes millions, while the accuser isn't as affluent and that people, now and in the past, will stoop so low for wealth.

Darrin
02-12-2006, 01:20 AM
And Moses also sayeth, thou shalt not beareth false witness."

Yea unto thee Kobe sayeth. "I had sexual relations but it was consentual" And the Colorado Courts rulith that Kobe's statements madith to the polce officers would notith be admissable" "And than the accuser doth decided to cashith in on the crime" So the law could do nothing" "And Kobe in his great innocence settled out of court for fear of being innocent"

And then they feasted on lamb, breakfast cereals, and arangutangs.

Amen

Now Moses in the Law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest Thou?"

He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Why do you care? What do you gain from judging Kobe Bryant? The only Kobe we know is the one on the basketball court. Hate him for those reasons, and leave the Colorado mess out of things. We don't know what happened, we're not going to find out, so all we can do is assume we know what happened.

Let me put this another way: If it were Tim Duncan instead of Kobe Bryant, would you give Duncan the benefit of the doubt? My guess is that you would. With no previous history of criminality, winning Championships, and being considered a nice guy, even if a little aloof. I know that if it was Joe Dumars I would want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And that's exactly why we should withhold judgement.

Trainwreck2100
02-12-2006, 01:26 AM
Now Moses in the Law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest Thou?"

He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Why do you care? What do you gain from judging Kobe Bryant? The only Kobe we know is the one on the basketball court. Hate him for those reasons, and leave the Colorado mess out of things. We don't know what happened, we're not going to find out, so all we can do is assume we know what happened.

Let me put this another way: If it were Tim Duncan instead of Kobe Bryant, would you give Duncan the benefit of the doubt? My guess is that you would. With no previous history of criminality, winning Championships, and being considered a nice guy, even if a little aloof. I know that if it was Joe Dumars I would want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And that's exactly why we should withhold judgement.

"Well Kobe est a ginoutmous fucktard" "That ist why he is hated, he betrayeth his own teammate, and the seventh layer of hell is reserved for mutineers and traitors" Jack Sparrow sayeth that.

p.s. I know where it's really from.

Darrin
02-12-2006, 01:27 AM
The side I stand on reflects that the accused makes millions, while the accuser isn't as affluent and that people, now and in the past, will stoop so low for wealth.

I agree whole-heartedly with you, but that is why we shouldn't judge Bryant on this. His economic standing and the previous history of high-profile cases like the OJ trial or Robert Blake, even Ray Lewis, shouldn't sway our opinion on this one particular case.

Do I like the possibility that I'm defending a rapist? No. But it sickens me to think I may convict of man in my own judgment when he's innocent.

Trainwreck2100
02-12-2006, 01:28 AM
I agree whole-heartedly with you, but that is why we shouldn't judge Bryant on this. His economic standing and the previous history of high-profile cases like the OJ trial or Robert Blake, even Ray Lewis, shouldn't sway our opinion on this one particular case.

Do I like the possibility that I'm defending a rapist? No. But it sickens me to think I may convict of man in my own judgment when he's innocent.

Yeah OJ wasn't guilty. And Rey Louis was convicted.

Darrin
02-12-2006, 01:36 AM
Yeah OJ wasn't guilty. And Rey Louis was convicted.

The only athletes I remember being convicted of a serious charges in my lifetime are Mike Tyson and Rae Carruth.

Drive Like Jehu
02-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Just Do It
(then settle out of court)

1Parker1
02-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Am I the only one that actually liked the commercial?

It's kind of a very honest commercial...it's not trying to sell this clean-slate image of Kobe, it is what it is: You can hate him or love him.

Darrin
02-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Am I the only one that actually liked the commercial?

It's kind of a very honest commercial...it's not trying to sell this clean-slate image of Kobe, it is what it is: You can hate him or love him.

I didn't really like the commerical, but I agree that's what the commerical was aiming for - take it or leave it.

I don't like the implication that all criticism is haterade, nor do I appreciate celebrities that read their own press. If he truly doesn't care, it seems to me he would just shrug it off and move on. It felt like a darker verison of his Sprite commerical that shows him working out and watching tape because he's motivated to be the best or the Sprite commericals with supposed former friends and acquaintences that tell him to "apply himself," or "he could've been an oceanographer!"

My overall impression - same old, same old. It was a cross between the photography of "I am not a role model" and Kobe's previous commericals. But it was still better than any of the last five years of Nike ads (sans the Sheed tatts).