PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Defeat Clippers 91-78 For Third Straight Win.

Pooh
11-20-2003, 02:20 AM
By Johnnie Clay – Pacers Insider
November 19, 2003 - 11:30 PM

The Indiana Pacers entered tonight's against the Los Angeles Clippers a player short. With Jermaine O'Neal sitting this game out due to Tendinitis in his right knee, the Pacers had no problem defeating the Los Angeles Clippers, 91-78 at Conseco Fieldhouse this evening. The victory gives the Pacers a 9-2 record, currently the best in the NBA this young season.

Al Harrington, filling in for the injured O'Neal scored 22 points, 9 rebounds and 4 assists to lead the Pacers in scoring.

The game was close throughout the first three quarters. The Pacers clung to a one point first quarter lead, only to extend it to five points at halftime, 47-45. The lead was cut down to four (69-65) at the end of the third quarter, but a 22-8 run in the fourth, sealed the victory for the Pacers, giving them their third straight win.

Three point shooting for both teams was horrendous, going (3-23) combined for the whole game. The Pacers shot 42% (32-78) from the field, holding the Clippers to only 36% (27-74) for the evening.

Jeff Foster, continued his strong performance this season with 11 points and 14 rebounds, proving why he should be on the All-Star ballot for center this year. Ron Artest had another solid outing, scoring 12 points, 5 rebounds and 2 assists. Kenny Anderson also contributed with 13 points and 2 rebounds. Reggie Miller, who scored 31 points this past Saturday against the Knicks, slowly came back to Earth with 3 points and 5 assists for the evening.

There was even an Austin Croshere sighting this evening. Croshere, whose career has been dormant since the departure of Bird and Carlisle in 2000, woke up out of his sleep with 13 points, and 7 rebounds this evening.

“We got a lot more aggressive in the second half. We hit a lot of key buckets off of screens and blocks." Croshere said. "We played at their (Clippers) level in the first half and Coach (Carlisle) told us we had to step it up and play at a different level in the second half. As far as I am concerned, my legs are back and my timing is back. I will be ready to play when called upon.”

Pacers Coach Rick Carlisle echoed Croshere's sentiments. "I thought that was a great win for us." Carlisle said. "We had a lot of guys step up with Jermaine out. Al got us off to a great start, Ron Artest was real solid and our bench was a huge factor. Fred Jones played a real pivotal part in the game. It was good seeing Austin get his feet under him with his shot. He has struggled early but he has kept working. He is a real professional."

Carlisle praised his teams' overall play. "It was a great team effort and an important win for us. When we have our lapses, they’re caused by mistakes or deficiencies in the defensive end. When our defensive energy was good, our offense was good. When you hold this team to 78 points, you’re playing hard."

The Pacers' defense will get a real challenge on Friday night, putting their undefeated road record (5-0) up against the New Orleans Hornets. The Hornets are currently a half game behind the Pacers in the Central Division with a (9-3) record.

Gametime Friday is at 8pm (EST)

pacersrule03
11-21-2003, 12:16 AM
I got to attend the game last night. I was impressed with Al Harrington, he had the shot down, and was taking anyone to the hole. Kenny Anderson also helped us get out of some ruts. I didn't know that JO was not playing until they started announcing the starters.

I also got to see the pacemates in skin tight white pants with little tops on...:eyebrow