PDA

View Full Version : Arenas Replaces Jermaine On All-Star Team

SlovenianGuy
02-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Washington Wizards forward Gilbert Arenas has been named by NBA Commissioner David Stern to replace injured East All-Star Jermaine O誰eal (torn left groin) of the Indiana Pacers on the Eastern Conference roster for the 2006 NBA All-Star Game on Sunday, Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston.

Arenas, in his fifth NBA season, is making his second consecutive All-Star appearance. East All-Star head coach Flip Saunders will determine which player will replace O誰eal in the starting lineup.

link (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39076/20060210/arenas_replaces_jermaine_on_all_star_team/)

angel_luv
02-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Oh good! I was sorry Arenas didn't make the cut last night. Better late than never.

ABDENOUR POWER
02-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Good, now people will stop the bitching about him getting snubbed so that the Pistons could have 4 All-Stars.....

JMarkJohns
02-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Arenas should have been voted in with Rasheed being named the replacement. Right names, wrong order, but so long as both are there, I guess I can't complain too much.

polandprzem
02-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Damn - why Stern didn't selected Prince ???????

ObiwanGinobili
02-10-2006, 05:00 PM
OK.... who paid for the hit on O'Neal?

ABDENOUR POWER
02-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Me. :elephant

himat
02-10-2006, 05:11 PM

that would of been nice.

nkdlunch
02-10-2006, 06:19 PM
'bout time

Spurologist
02-10-2006, 06:25 PM

Gil Arenas is a top 5 scorer in the league and is on the verge of leading his team to another playoff berth. Need to recognize other teams. Would be nice for Detroit homers to have all their players be all stars but Gil >>>> prince. It was a easy choice for Stern.

sa_butta
02-10-2006, 06:31 PM
I thought he should have made it anyways.

caョlo
02-11-2006, 01:01 AM
pistons get 4 players in the ASG when the WORLD.. sorry NBA CHAMPS get only 2.

weird.

im fine with billups and ben wallace.. but rip and rasheed?

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-11-2006, 01:04 AM

weird.

Um, Rip leads the Pistons in scoring, field goal %, is damn near the top in threes and plays the most minutes of them all.

Don't make the mistake of thinking Rip doesn't deserve to be an All-Star.

hussker
02-11-2006, 01:11 AM
Um, Rip leads the Pistons in scoring, field goal %, is damn near the top in threes and plays the most minutes of them all.

Don't make the mistake of thinking Rip doesn't deserve to be an All-Star.

Damn JB...you're a RINGER!!! hahaha

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-11-2006, 01:13 AM
Damn JB...you're a RINGER!!! hahaha

Actually, Rip's one of my favorite players in the league.

hussker
02-11-2006, 01:37 AM
Actually, Rip's one of my favorite players in the league.

He moves without the ball better than anyone else in the league for sure

Amuseddaysleeper
02-11-2006, 01:47 AM

weird.

umm spurs were the best team in 2005

we are now in 2006

for the 2006 ASG

where the pistons are the best team hands down

Jason McDaniels
02-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Washington Wizards forward Gilbert Arenas has been named by NBA Commissioner David Stern to replace injured East All-Star Jermaine O誰eal (torn left groin) of the Indiana Pacers on the Eastern Conference roster for the 2006 NBA All-Star Game on Sunday, Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston.

Arenas, in his fifth NBA season, is making his second consecutive All-Star appearance. East All-Star head coach Flip Saunders will determine which player will replace O誰eal in the starting lineup.

link (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39076/20060210/arenas_replaces_jermaine_on_all_star_team/)

i think carmelo shoulda replaced jermaine oneal in the east. screw the nuggets, he is from baltimore. i thought melo deserved to be an allstar

Rummpd
02-11-2006, 07:02 AM
"umm spurs were the best team in 2005

we are now in 2006

for the 2006 ASG

where the pistons are the best team hands down"

Despite the two losses by the Spurs to the Pistons I would not go to sleep on that prediction. Spurs were not healthy, seeminlgy motivated or gelling when they faced the very good I admit Pistons.

However, despite his health issues you cannot tell me with a straight face that Hamilton (who is still a great player) is a better all around player than Manu (who missed one Spurs - Pistons game and got limited minutes in the 2nd).

Manu (whose only problem is that he is injury prone) bring that extra dimension of all around grit and savy that I would take over almost any shooting guard in league not named Kobe Bryant or Dwyane Wade (if you define him as shooting guard) period.

As for Rasheed in the West he would not even be in consideration to make it as a reserve forward - that position is too stoked out West. Not that again he is not a great player but the position is much weaker in the East.

Plus if the Pistons played in the West rather than the otherwise pathetic East this year they would have 2-4 more losses and we would not even be having this discussion. At most 2-3 Pistons would have made the all-star team and potentially none. Would Billups be getting all his "love" if the Pistons had 2-4 more losses right now? It would be very close with him and Parker for the reserve point guard spot with Mike Bibby and Chris Paul fans also being able to say why not our guy. As for Ben Wallace -tough call but but Yao locks up the center due to the China factor leaving Wallace the next best choice but he could in the West be a victim if the Pistons were out there of the glut of skilled bigs as well. Probably he makes it and Billups but no locks out West.

Although not as great defensively, I can argue that Chris Webber a 20 -10 player was just as deserving as Rasheed this year but ok with Rasheed > Hamilton. Arenas should have been on instead of Hamilton period.

Personally, I too would have preferred Carmello on the all-stars but as great as he is playing hard to knock the Marion choice due to Suns success.

I have seen a good arguement that due to the Wolves lack of success that Garnett should not have made it but hard to keep him off as well. Dirk has to make it this year as well as Brand.

They should pick 1-2 more all stars per league - 15 too many, 12 seemingly too few.

13-14 sounds right.

Darrin
02-11-2006, 12:29 PM

And this is why I thought too much controversy was made in the last day or so about him not making the squad. The only player who should feel legitimately jipped is Michael Redd, and I'm sure he'll take it out on Paul Pierce's ass the next time he sees them.

exstatic
02-11-2006, 12:42 PM
As for Rasheed in the West he would not even be in consideration to make it as a reserve forward - that position is too stoked out West. Not that again he is not a great player but the position is much weaker in the East.
Actually, I have to argue this one. He, in fact, DID make a WC All star team a few years back when he was in Portland, and Tim was in MVP form, as were KG and CWebb. Don't sleep on Sheed. He's an average person, but a hell of a baller.

MrChug
02-11-2006, 11:44 PM
The East got smaller???? The West is HUUUUUUUUUGE!!! If the average height of the West squad is about 6'10" and the East is about 6'6", it's size and versatility vs. speed. I'll take the former over the latter...

Darrin
02-12-2006, 03:30 AM

weird.

Last year: (Spurs) get (2) players in the ASG when the WORLD...sorry NBA CHAMPS get only (1).

Rip Hamilton's stat line: 21.6 ppg (.499 FG%, .461 3PT%, .867 FT%), 3.3 rpg, 3.4 apg. He was named the East Player of the Week in Januay (16-22) when he averaged 22.6 ppg on .635 shooting (that's a good week for Shaq) in a 4-0 week for the Pistons. His opposing shooting guards were held to 6.3 ppg. He's gone over 35 points in a game four times this season, twice for 40. The next game he scores in single digits will be his first.

His worst game of the season: 4-15 (.267), 11 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 turnovers, 6 fouls in the Pistons first loss at the Palace against the Washington Wizards.

His best game of the season: 16-24 (.667), 37 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal in a 108-88 thrashing of the Sixers on opening night.

Brutalis
02-12-2006, 03:40 AM
Last year: (Spurs) get (2) players in the ASG when the WORLD...sorry NBA CHAMPS get only (1).

Rip Hamilton's stat line: 21.6 ppg (.499 FG%, .461 3PT%, .867 FT%), 3.3 rpg, 3.4 apg. He was named the East Player of the Week in Januay (16-22) when he averaged 22.6 ppg on .635 shooting (that's a good week for Shaq) in a 4-0 week for the Pistons. His opposing shooting guards were held to 6.3 ppg. He's gone over 35 points in a game four times this season, twice for 40. The next game he scores in single digits will be his first.

His worst game of the season: 4-15 (.267), 11 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 turnovers, 6 fouls in the Pistons first loss at the Palace against the Washington Wizards.

His best game of the season: 16-24 (.667), 37 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal in a 108-88 thrashing of the Sixers on opening night.

Anyone reading this I'll spare you the crap.

"Rip is all offense and nothing else. Rather than some players who actually have other skills."