PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs spoil Nets' streak

Solid D
02-11-2006, 02:21 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021106.1D.BKNspurs.nets.gamer.15b51818.html

Spurs spoil Nets' streak

Web Posted: 02/11/2006 12:06 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — With the New Jersey Nets having surged back from a seven-point deficit and the Continental Airlines Arena crowd of 19,096 beginning to sniff another victory, Tim Duncan could feel what was coming next.

He also knew it wasn't going to be pretty.

So, with a quick nod to the bench, Duncan sprinted off the floor and down the tunnel to the locker room. For those who had seen the Spurs' flu-stricken forward this week, his mad dash needed no explanation.

After purging his system, Duncan returned to flush the Nets. He made two shots and grabbed a pair of offensive rebounds in the final five minutes to push the Spurs to an 83-73 victory.

"We just tried to pace him between the bathroom breaks," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, "so he could get back in time."

In addition to winning their eighth consecutive game, the Spurs also stopped New Jersey's 12-game home winning streak, ending it one victory short of a franchise record.

For that, the Nets can blame Manu Ginobili (22 points) and Tony Parker (19 points, six assists), as well as Bruce Bowen, who hit two clutch shots in the final three minutes and helped keep Vince Carter in check.

Duncan provided his own late heroics while still feeling the effects of his week-long battle with the flu.

"I didn't feel 100 percent," said Duncan, who totaled 12 points, seven rebounds, six assists and three blocks in 34 minutes. "But I was glad to be out there and I thought I helped the team win. That's what it's all about."

After missing Wednesday's victory in Toronto, Duncan was finally able to eat dinner Thursday night and lunch Friday. Getting his shot to stay down proved considerably more difficult.

Whether it was the lingering effects of his sickness, and eight-day layoff — he caught the flu at home during the team's five-day break — or a combination of both, Duncan labored to find his rhythm. The first time he touched the ball, he passed on an open 16-footer, took a single dribble then forced a considerably more difficult shot.

Duncan missed five of his six attempts in the first half. The lone shot he was credited with making was actually a goaltending violation by Carter.

"He didn't feel comfortable shooting the ball at all," Popovich said, "but his energy wasn't too bad."

Popovich estimated Duncan went to the locker room at least seven times, though his most noticeable exit came with 6:55 remaining and the score tied at 62. With the game delayed for a few minutes by a faulty clock, Duncan missed only three of the Spurs' possessions.

After returning, he promptly rebounded a miss by Parker. Nick Van Exel then found Duncan rolling to the basket for a lay-in.

Duncan pulled down another offensive rebound on the following possession, leading to a 3-pointer by Bowen that stretched the Spurs' lead to 74-66 with 2:56 left. A little more than a minute later, Bowen threw in a difficult runner to all but close out the victory.

"He stepped up," Carter said of Duncan. "He didn't score a lot of points, but his presence and offensive rebounds were big for them."

Bowen, meanwhile, also did his best to limit Carter's impact, holding him to 21 points on 10-of-27 shooting. Carter's only trip to the free-throw line came with 1:47 left after a Duncan foul.

"Oh now you call it!" Carter yelled at referee Gary Zielinski.

"You can't stop Vince, but I thought (Bowen) did a great of making him shoot tough shots and not giving him points on the line," Popovich said. "That's hard to do against a great player."

The Spurs' overall defense also improved significantly in the second half. After watching the Nets shoot 48.6 percent in the first half, the Spurs held them to 3 of 17 in the third quarter. New Jersey totaled 31 points in the second half.

"For us, that's always the key," Popovich said. "If we play good defense, we have an opportunity to win. And then it comes down to making some shots."

Bowen made two. So did Duncan.

In the end, Duncan's biggest problem may have been the distance between the court and the bathroom.

"I wish there was something a little closer," he said. "That would have helped."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

boutons_
02-11-2006, 02:29 AM
Tim, call them Saturday, they deliver.

http://www.toilets.com/

Melmart1
02-11-2006, 02:31 AM
I thought Timmy played extraordinarily well considering all his ailments.

Of course, the people who said that TImmy BETTER have a good showing will be disapointed and say how much he sucked.:rolleyes

Kori Ellis
02-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Popovich estimated Duncan went to the locker room at least seven times, though his most noticeable exit came with 6:55 remaining and the score tied at 62

Poor Tim.

I hope he feels better by Sunday.

boutons_
02-11-2006, 02:42 AM
There's lots of stopper-uppers around.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100098&navAction=jump&navCount=0&skuid=sku370278&id=prod370277

Mijo
02-11-2006, 03:07 AM
Amodium A-D!

sanman53
02-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Thanks Timmy!!!

SequSpur
02-11-2006, 08:59 AM
they could've put an outhouse in the hallway next to the court......

shit.

angel_luv
02-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Popovich estimated Duncan went to the locker room at least seven times, though his most noticeable exit came with 6:55 remaining and the score tied at 62. With the game delayed for a few minutes by a faulty clock, Duncan missed only three of the Spurs' possessions.

How awful! Poor Timmy. I know he wanted to, but I really wish he hadn't played.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2006, 11:18 AM
"Duncan Shits All Over Continental Airlines Arena in 83-73 Win Over Nets"

Had they lost:

"Duncan Lays Turd in Loss to Nets"

1Parker1
02-11-2006, 11:24 AM
I wish there was something a little closer," he said. "That would have helped

:lol :tu Good game, Tim.

Budkin
02-11-2006, 12:01 PM
"Duncan Shits All Over Continental Airlines Arena in 83-73 Win Over Nets"

Awesome :lmao

Vashner
02-11-2006, 12:23 PM
LOL... "grunting noise.. here it comes... bloop splat splash"...

Ok that's horrible but funny...

T Park
02-11-2006, 12:32 PM
crapping jokes are weak.

George W Bush
02-11-2006, 12:37 PM
crapping jokes are weak.

So why does your mouth always take one?

I'm George W Bush and I approve this question. :tu

maxpower
02-11-2006, 12:55 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/geo175/Wallpaper%201/Wallpaper%202/Wallpaper3/Wallpaper%204/dumb_wal2.jpg