PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Van Exel bothered by elbow

Solid D
02-11-2006, 02:32 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021106.9D.BKNspurs.notebook.161e9edf.html

Spurs notebook: Van Exel bothered by elbow

Web Posted: 02/11/2006 12:06 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Nick Van Exel straightened his tie then rapped his knuckles on the seat of his chair.

"Knock on wood," Van Exel said. "Since the injection, it's been feeling good."

"It" would be Van Exel's persistently sore left elbow. After receiving his second cortisone injection Monday, Van Exel had six points and five assists in the Spurs' victory over New Jersey.

"It felt real good," said Van Exel, who played the entire fourth quarter after the Spurs went with a small lineup. "Hopefully it can stay like that for the rest of the season.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has his doubts.

"I think it's going to be like that all year," Popovich said. "It's going to be an up-and-down thing."

Van Exel has bone spurs in the elbow and will eventually need some type of surgery. Having it now would cause him to miss the rest of the season, so he'll likely will until the summer.

"If I want to be a professional golfer," Van Exel said, "I'm going to have to get it cleaned out."

Van Exel said he has had problems with his shooting elbow since he played for Denver more than four years ago.

He had a cortisone injection on Dec. 30 only to have the pain return three weeks later. After sitting out the first three-game leg of the Spurs' rodeo trip — he's missed four games total this season because of the elbow — he received another shot Monday.

Van Exel has missed four games total because of the injury.

Rejecting offer: Tim Duncan isn't the only player who has told USA Basketball no thanks.

New Jersey point guard Jason Kidd said Friday he's not going to play in this summer's World Championships or in the 2008 Olympics.

"I've helped the team qualify twice, so I think I'll pass on the third time," Kidd said. "And it's long ... August and September, I wouldn't have that much of a break before the season to get ready, so, I thought I would just let the younger guys go and do it."

Duncan also isn't going to participate because he thinks the three-year commitment and monthlong training camps will be too much of a grind at this stage of his career.

No rivalry: Parker admits he's used the Spurs' pursuit of Kidd three summers ago as motivation to become a better point guard. Kidd, however, downplayed talk of a rivalry between the two point guards.

"He's an All-Star. I don't know if there's anything personal," Kidd said. "When San Antonio was coming after me, it was more or less to add me to the roster, not to send Tony anywhere. So I don't think there's any added (rivalry), but he's playing at a high level."

Kidd said he hasn't dwelled on his decision to re-sign with New Jersey instead of going to the Spurs.

"It's over with," Kidd said. "In this league, things change very fast, so you move on once you make the decision. I thought I made the right decision by staying here in New Jersey and you move on."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

1Parker1
02-11-2006, 11:39 AM
There's no rivalry between Kidd and Parker, because Parker owns him :)