PDA

View Full Version : Tim Thomas -Spurs possibility

doldrums
02-11-2006, 09:35 AM
POTENTIAL NET: Ex-Knick and Paterson native Tim Thomas sat courtside Friday night. He's a member of the Chicago Bulls, but he's been away from the team as it tries to either trade him or buy him out of his contract. If the latter happens, the Nets would be interested in signing him. The interest is mutual. Thomas said the Nets have talked to his agent.

"There's a lot of talk about New Jersey," Thomas said. "The Nets, they've been talking. But it's in Chicago's hands."

Thomas also said the Spurs were a possibility, but it is all up to Chicago

KEDA
02-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Naz for Thomas

yeah, I said it!

dimsah
02-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Naz for Thomas

yeah, I said it!
That makes the most sense. Nazr's from Chicago, and the Bulls need a big man.
There's no telling what kind of money he will be looking for when he hits the open market this summer, and you already have Nesterovic under contract for at least 2 or 3 more seasons.

What's the contract situation like for Thomas?

Brodels
02-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Yuck. Tim Thomas wouldn't do much to help the Spurs. Besides, Nazr has good size, and the Spurs are much better off with Nazr platooning with Rasho at center.

ploto
02-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Thomas is making almost $14M. It would take Nazr, Brent, and at least one more player with a couple of million in salary, like Oberto. Even Beno doesn't make enough and Marks would have to agree to a trade (not going to happen).

Now if they buy him out, come on down!

dimsah
02-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Yuck. Tim Thomas wouldn't do much to help the Spurs. Besides, Nazr has good size, and the Spurs are much better off with Nazr platooning with Rasho at center.
His contract expires after this season as well.
I would rather have Luol Deng if they're giving guys away, but.

dimsah
02-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Thomas is making almost $14M. It would take Nazr, Brent, and at least one more player with a couple of million in salary, like Oberto. Even Beno doesn't make enough and Marks would have to agree to a trade (not going to happen).

Now if they buy him out, come on down!
You're right. I don't see any way you can match salaries without losing too much.

MI21
02-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Thomas is a long 3 who can stick the outside jumpshot.

Really a wasted talent.

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2006, 10:13 AM
we all know that even if we get deng, he be seekin max once his contract expires, so how can we afford him in the future?

nazr for nacioni+pick

exstatic
02-11-2006, 10:15 AM
You have to ask yourself, why did Chicago not even want him around their team? They basicly told him "Don't report. We don't want you and we're trying to move you."

MI21
02-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Darius has actually turned himself into a very good player though.

If Darius had TT's jumper, he'd be an All-Star.

But yes, Miles is extremely annoying :lol

Despot
02-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Isn't he like 40 years old??

Marklar MM
02-11-2006, 10:23 AM
You have to ask yourself, why did Chicago not even want him around their team? They basicly told him "Don't report. We don't want you and we're trying to move you."

It is that shitty work ethic. All the talent a player could want, could have been a top 10 player, yet wasted it.

Despot
02-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Career

MIN 26.3
FG% .442
3 FG% .367
FT .766
REB 4.0
STL .79
BLK .39
TO 1.55
AST 1.4
PTS 11.9

Pass

Despot
02-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Seems like he hurts teams more than he helps them.

Joepa
02-11-2006, 10:34 AM
I don't think that would be a very good move. This guy has been a problem on a lot of different teams, and that's a huge contract. We're pretty stacked as it is and I don't see a need to change things.

Also, we play in the west where big bodies are valuable. Giving up a true C like Nazr for a wannabe PF/SF who is not physical at all is not a good call. We don't really need another shooter.

exstatic
02-11-2006, 10:44 AM
The only way I could see this happening is as a salary dump. We ship them Nazr, who's a goner anyway this summer, and Barry and maybe one of our stash talents from overseas. They ship us Tim Thomas, who clears $14M in salary this summer. We tell him not to report either.

It is that shitty work ethic. All the talent a player could want, could have been a top 10 player, yet wasted it.

EXACTLY.

SPARKY
02-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Thomas is an interesting salvage project. His salary is such that it would require moving 2 to 3 players. If he's available for the minimum, come on down.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2006, 11:09 AM
If we're talking trade, these packages for Thomas work:

Rasho/Barry

Nazr/Barry/Beno

Either is pretty doubtful. I suppose Tim fancies himself this year's Glenn Robinson. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he turned out to be just that.

alamo50
02-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Bullshit.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Which part?

leemajors
02-11-2006, 11:12 AM
i don't think that was in response to you chump, you guys posted almost simultaneously

ChumpDumper
02-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Perhaps I should have said "which post?"

We're all kind of saying the same thing.

Rescueone
02-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Just wait, I think we would give up too much to get this guy. Let's just wait for them to release him outright then go after him. If he goes else where so what! We lose nothing.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Looks like a post-buyout scenario, not a trade:
If Thomas can manage a buyout with the Bulls -- and he has roughly $6 million still coming to him this season -- he identified the Nets and Spurs as two teams he'd like to play for.http://www.nj.com/nets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1139637945124950.xml&coll=1

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2006, 11:31 AM
wasnt he the thomas that wanted to start a fight with one of the knics players when he was with the knicks? i think it was marbury or crawford. dunno if its this thomas or kurt thomas.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2006, 11:35 AM
He called KMart fugazi and wanted to fight him.

wildbill2u
02-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Thomas is a long 3 who can stick the outside jumpshot.

Really a wasted talent.

Then why have the Bulls told him not to even show up to practice until they can get rid of him? Something is wrong there and you have to suppose it's an attitude problem if he's not playing.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2006, 11:58 AM
They are completely loaded at his spot and from the start were only going to trade him or buy him out.

Something was "wrong" with GRob too last year.

T Park
02-11-2006, 12:12 PM
If Tim Thomas, is a FA, and you get him for the min??

You definately bring him. Dude was TMac without the work ehic or the drive.

Too bad, Thomas could've been an all star.

George W Bush
02-11-2006, 12:16 PM
TMac.

I know you like macoroni fat boy. Me too.

I'm George W Bush and I approve this message. :tu

MrChug
02-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Tim Thomas always disappointed me. I always watch players identical in PHYSICAL gifts to one another that come into the league about the same type, and see how they make the most out of potential. Tall, athletic, and has shooting range. In this case I always compared him to Rashard Lewis. Shows you the difference a little work ethic can make...

Well, it could be worse...he could be Jonathen Bender :nerd

exstatic
02-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Tim Thomas is proof that talent alone is not enough. It's not bad enough that one GM wasted a high draft pick on him, but another one gave him a huge contract based on nothing. Paying a player a MAX contract based on only potential is a good way to get yourself fired.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2006, 02:14 PM
That's why we'd pay him the minimum.

All I got to say is a 6'10" guy who hit 43% from the arc in the playoffs without the benefit of a real post presence merits a phone call.

exstatic
02-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Oh, yeah, CD, if he can be our Glenn Robinson for this year, I'm for it. Pay him peanuts, have him hit a few big shots, and send him on his way this summer.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Depends on how it goes.

Horry will be 36 after this season.

Thomas is just about to turn 29.

I'm NOT saying dump Horry. He plays as long as he wants -- but he said that would only be one more year at the most.

Of couse, that's really jumping the gun.

Mr. Body
02-11-2006, 02:46 PM
If he gets bought out - and Chicago should do it, if they can't trade for him - then there's no risk. Sign him for the minimum in an insurance role, though the Spurs don't need him. I see him more likely going for a lower tier playoff team where he'd get more time.

But he'd offer what Robinson did last year, without the baggage. Trading for him wouldn't work at all.

2centsworth
02-11-2006, 06:42 PM
thomas sucks.

Spurologist
02-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Don't we already have enough players playing his position. Barry would probably have to go if we pick him up.

T Park
02-11-2006, 08:26 PM
thomas sucks.

Thomas > Barry.

Spurologist
02-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Thomas > Barry.

Thomas could be shit for all I know. I don't even remember the last time he played in an NBA game

Kori Ellis
02-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Last season Thomas averages 12 ppg or so with the Knicks. He's a decent enough talent that he could be getting good playing time in the NBA. But so are Ron Mercer, Latrell Sprewell, etc. There's reasons beyond talent that some guys aren't playing anywhere.

MI21
02-11-2006, 10:03 PM
More I think about this, the more I think this would be a harmless risk for the Spurs.

Much like GRob, if he doesn't perform or whinges about playing time, you cut him. Simple. The Spurs don't exactly need him.

What they would be getting is a legit 6'9/6'10 SF with very good outside shooting. His defense is average, but he has never played on a squad like the Spurs. Big Dog's and Finley's defense was considered below average, but they were very good as a Spur. He is athletic, played in pressure situation's and has shown he is very comfortable off the bench (I want to say he won 6th man, but I think he fell just short).

I'd like to see this happen, but the chances are obviously low.

alamo50
02-12-2006, 05:23 AM
There's reasons beyond talent that some guys aren't playing anywhere.

That's exactly why I called bullshit on mentioning Tim Thomas and Spurs in one sentence.

TDMVPDPOY
02-12-2006, 07:56 AM
I say fuck thomas, speedy claxton will be a FA end of this season, why not sign him to replace NVE then our backcourt is set with tp/beno/speed

ChumpDumper
02-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Speedy would be nice but he's kicking too much ass as a starter. He'll get another starter's contract if not a big deal from NOLA. We could only hope he would take a nostalgia discount....

Thomas will probably end up in NJ, but he's worth a phone call.

ChumpDumper
02-12-2006, 02:08 PM
BTW - someone on SR reminded me of the obvious.

The Neman factor.

Don Newman assisted at Milwaukee for four years. Thomas was there his entire tenure -- longer than Glenn Robinson. I'll leave this one up to his judgment.

SPARKY
02-12-2006, 02:22 PM
The Spurs have guys who can see minutes at the 3 but they lack youth and size at that spot. Those are not problems in the sense that they can still win a title this season, but in the interest of continual improvement, Thomas for the minimum wouldn't be a bad acquisition. With his athleticism, length and shooting range, if he panned out, well, the Spurs would only get better.

T Park
02-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Agreed Sparky.

Thats the weakness this team has NOW, that can get by for this season, but needs to work on this summer.

If they could in some way pull a bring back Speedy, and get a young wing player, maybe Sanikidze finally comes over, who knows.