PDA

View Full Version : Former Rampage in the Olympics

T-Pain
02-12-2006, 01:39 AM
Niedermayer out, Bouwmeester in for Canada
Posted: Feb.8, 2006, 12:25 pm CST; Updated: Feb.9, 2006, 10:28 am CST
TORONTO, Ontario (Reuters) -- Key Canada defenseman Scott Niedermayer has withdrawn from the Torino Winter Olympics due to a knee injury, Team Canada said on Wednesday.

Niedermayer, a standout player for the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, will undergo surgery to repair ligament damage and will be out of action indefinitely.

Team Canada executive director Wayne Gretzky said in a statement that defensemen Bryan McCabe of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Jay Bouwmeester of the Florida Panthers had been added to the team, replacing Niedermayer and injured defenseman Ed Jovanovski of the Vancouver Canucks.

"After a discussion with team doctors yesterday, it was recommended I undergo surgery on my knee in the very near future," Niedermayer said in a statement.

"I discussed the situation with Hockey Canada President Bob Nicholson and came to the extremely difficult decision to withdraw from the Olympic Games and have surgery next week."

Niedermayer was a member of the Canadian team that won the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympic Games gold medal.

He won the Norris Trophy as the NHL's top defender when with the New Jersey Devils in 2004 before joining the Mighty Ducks last year.

Tampa bay Lightning defenseman Dan Boyle was named to replace McCabe in the reserve squad, joining forwards Eric Staal of the Carolina Panthers and Jason Spezza of the Ottawa Senators.

I remember Jay Bouwmeester represented the Rampage in Allstar game like 2 years ago and was one of the leaders on the team and now hes reppin Canada. by the way, any hockey fans here???

Vashner
02-12-2006, 02:35 AM
Hey that's cool. Good luck to him.

alamo50
02-12-2006, 05:29 AM
Bouwmeester

Sounds dutch to me!

:smokin