PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili relishes his role on Spurs

carina_gino20
02-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Ginobili relishes his role on Spurs

Web Posted: 02/12/2006 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS — Manu Ginobili has been called many things. Fearless. Unpredictable. Reckless. And, in one of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich's lighter moments, "whacko."

All are fitting descriptions for a player, who four days ago helped beat Toronto by spinning 180 degrees and flipping in a shot over his shoulder with his back to the basket — all of which came after he stumbled, nearly lost his dribble, found his feet again, then rushed headfirst into the lane.

Yet, for all of Ginobili's where-did-that-come-from moments, Popovich has a different adjective for his frenetic guard's play this season: consistent.

That may sound surprising considering Ginobili has done well just to stay on the court for more than two weeks at a time. But in spite of three different injuries to his right foot — which cost him not only 13 games, but also a possible second consecutive berth on the Western Conference All-Star team — his night-to-night production has remained steady.

"The team knows more what I can give them," Ginobili said.

Ginobili hasn't ripped off a 48-point performance like the one he dropped on the Phoenix Suns last season. He has yet to score even 30 in a game.

But the 4-for-11, 5-for-14 nights, which seemed to appear every six games or so last season, also have been less frequent. His shooting has improved to a career-best 48.4 percent, and he's averaging more points per minute than he did last season.

"He's just comfortable with his role on the team," Popovich said. "He's been with these guys long enough that he's learned to let the game come to him rather than force himself onto the game. That's really helped."

Ginobili hasn't lost all his frenzy. During Friday's victory in New Jersey, he sprayed passes into the seats on three different sides of the court — a rather unique hat trick.

Popovich thought Ginobili played hurried at times, but he still scored a game-high 22 points. He also helped force Nets forward Richard Jefferson into missing eight of 12 shots.

The performance came one day after the All-Star teams were announced. Ginobili wasn't disappointed with the results, in part, because he figured he wouldn't be chosen after missing nearly a third of the Spurs' first 40 games.

"Every player would love to be an All-Star," he said. "I already was one and I loved it. But the break is not going to be bad for me."

Like most players, Ginobili will find some place warm and sunny to relax next weekend. If nothing else, the All-Star break should also provide him a haven from injury.

Ginobili struggled the first two weeks of the season while playing with a deep thigh bruise and a sore right foot. Just when he appeared to be settling into a rhythm, he bruised his right ankle Nov. 29.

After missing two games, Ginobili's return lasted only five days. He sprained his right foot after stepping on Bruce Bowen during a drill in practice, sidelining him for another eight games.

Even after Ginobili returned, Popovich allowed Michael Finley to continue starting. Ginobili came off the bench for three weeks until it became evident the team was better off having him open games.

Having regained much of his strength, Ginobili once again seemed to be hitting his stride when the Spurs visited Miami on Jan. 20. In the third quarter, he drove into the lane and stepped on the foot of Heat forward Udonis Haslem.

Ginobili's ankle buckled severely. He had to be carried to the locker room. The Spurs braced for the worst.

"I really was very, very upset," Ginobili said, "because I thought it was going to be long."

He instead missed only three games. Although he still lacks some confidence when planting his foot and elevating — evident by his lack of dunks — he's begun to look more athletic. During the past four games, he's averaged 19 points.

Popovich, meanwhile, has tried to stop fretting about Ginobili's chances of getting hurt again. When Ginobili cracked his knee against the court after being knocked off his feet Wednesday in Toronto, Popovich's expression never changed.

"I just ignore him now," Popovich said. "He's going to be on the floor, he's going to get hit, people are going to go after him. They know he's a fearless, penetrating individual and he's going to get hit.

"I don't pay any attention to it any more."

Popovich has instead focused on making sure Ginobili has as much time as possible to recover between games. On the rare opportunities the Spurs have had to practice, Popovich hasn't left him on the court for long.

Neither he nor Ginobili can argue with the results.

"It takes a little bit," Ginobili said. "But I'm going to be fine."

Notebook: Tony Parker will partner with Steve Kerr and Silver Stars forward Kendra Wecker in a four-team shooting contest on All-Star Saturday. ... Nick Van Exel joking about Tim Duncan's performance Friday in New Jersey: "He was running in the back throwing up all over the place. What a softie. :lol "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021206.1C.BKNspurs.ginobili.3021e71.html

angel_luv
02-12-2006, 09:12 AM
Gino is doing so well, as always. I am super proud of him. Just please land on your feet, Gino. :cat :lol

Nick Van Exel joking about Tim Duncan's performance Friday in New Jersey: "He was running in the back throwing up all over the place. What a softie. "

Men are so different in the way they handle things- glad it works for them.

polandprzem
02-12-2006, 10:42 AM
:lol

Never thought Vanex can joke that way. :tu

ducks
02-12-2006, 10:46 AM
But the 4-for-11, 5-for-14 nights, which seemed to appear every six games or so last season, also have been less frequent. His shooting has improved to a career-best 48.4 percent, and he's averaging more points per minute than he did last season.

CHIP HAS DONE WONDERS THIS YEAR