PDA

View Full Version : About 2 weeks ago...

HB22inSA
02-12-2006, 06:08 PM
The Pistons were 38-5
and the Spurs were 34-10.

Today, the Pistons are 41-9,
and the Spurs are 40-10.

I never would have thought the Spurs would have caught Detroit.

And they've done it all on the road.

Unbelievable.

Brutalis
02-12-2006, 06:09 PM
very believable..

2centsworth
02-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Lots of work still left. Finley showing up more than once every five ball games would help

HB22inSA
02-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Spurs are also tied with Dallas and Detroit for the League's best road record, 19-7.

LilMissSPURfect
02-12-2006, 06:20 PM
under the radar...theory is working

ZStomp
02-12-2006, 07:06 PM
The Pistons were 38-5
and the Spurs were 34-10.

Today, the Pistons are 41-9,
and the Spurs are 40-10.

[/b][b]I never would have thought the Spurs would have caught Detroit.

And they've done it all on the road.

Unbelievable.

You didn't? No confidence huh? That's too bad.

I did.

Go Spurs Go.

HB22inSA
02-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Now hold on now, just because the Spurs are winning does not mean they are playing well.

They're squeaking by some mediocre to bad teams.

6-0 is great, but the combined record of all of their opponents isn't too much over .500, if it is at all.

T Park
02-12-2006, 07:15 PM
just because the Spurs are winning does not mean they are playing well

And that doesn't make you feel good?

Say it again, think, and process.

HB22inSA
02-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Now, taking into account all of their injuries and "questionable" (1 game road trips) early-season scheduling, it's scary that this team is 40-10.

Imagine if they were like Detroit and their starters hadn't missed a game, they'd probably be about 43-7 or better.

So it's not all negative.

HB22inSA
02-12-2006, 07:17 PM
And that doesn't make you feel good?

Bottom line is the Spurs have great players, great coaching, and great fans.

I'm just amazed at how they've won 9 straight road games.

It's really a great accomplishment, no matter how bad the teams they are beating.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-12-2006, 07:18 PM
Now hold on now, just because the Spurs are winning does not mean they are playing well.

6-0 is great, but the combined record of all of their opponents isn't too much over .500, if it is at all.

And the Pistons haven't been lately, hence why the Spurs AND Mavs have closed the gap...

smeagol
02-12-2006, 07:21 PM
I had no problem with the Pistons being 38-5 and the Spurs 34-10.

Everybody was talking about them, nobody about us. They were at the top of everybody's power rankings, we were flying under the radar. They were going to win 70+ games, we were going to have trouble winning our division. As of today, I guess, all this will change.

I like it when nobody notices the Spurs. That's why I was not happy after we signed Finley and Van X simply because we were being told we were already the champs without even playing one single game.

ZStomp
02-12-2006, 07:21 PM

But you didn't say anything about how they were playing. You practically said you couldn't believe the Spurs and Pistons could be where they are at.

I said I did believe.

Buddy Holly
02-12-2006, 07:22 PM
So it's not all negative.

None of it is... you're the one making it negative... in your head.

SAGambler
02-12-2006, 07:23 PM
very believable..

Not only believable, but totally expected that somewhere around the end of the rodeo trip Spurs would be on their heels... Detroit was going to come down to earth sooner or later...

Sure, Spurs are squeaking by some games, but that's what championship type teams do.. Whatever it takes to win.. The bottom line is, they don't ask "by how many", only the totals in the W and L columns...

And today Detroit couldn't hold on to a 13 point 4th quarter lead against a team that doesn't have that great a record either...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Detroit starters wear down.. They play way too many minutes... Even with big leads, the starters stay in.. Over the season it takes a toll on them..

And if they have to fight through another tough 7 game ECF to get to us, they are going to be in the same shape they were in last year..

HB22inSA
02-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Oh hell, don't you have a Holly Hills meeting to go to? Or a "San Antonio is the greatest city in the universe" rally to attend?

George W Bush
02-12-2006, 09:17 PM

Hey Buddy, I know you've been seen takin' piktures of my ranch.
Don't let me catch you boy. I want them piktures sonny.

and God Bless America :tu

FreshPrince22
02-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Every team goes through peaks and valleys. Hopefully this is our valley right now. We've still got 32 games to come out of this mini-slump. Besides, it's not like a TWO point road loss to a streaky team (caught them on at a bad time) is a big deal. Wade and Shaq combined for 68 points. The Heat got every whistle (how many times is Sheed/Ben/Dice going to get shoved out of bounds going for a board before they call it?). It was IN Miami. Wade was absolutely on fire from the perimeter. Yet the Pistons almost won it at the buzzer.

hussker
02-12-2006, 09:34 PM
Finley+Barry+Horry = "Time to make the DONUTS!"

This too shall pass. Thank God and Argentina that Manu carried the boys on his back today. Great TEAMS find creative ways to win. As a TEAM, the Spurs recognize all up and down the bench who is hot and what situations work.

This may have been the SIGNATURE game this year, only because of the comeback at the end, the resiliency of the Spurs and Manu taking charge. Not as dramatic as Signature games from the past (vs Houston 1999...the Mario Elie three and vs Phoenix last year when Manu took over then too), but as close to a Sig game as we have come this year.

Watch out rest of NBA. Beware when a team that is not healthy AT ALL or clicking AT ALL is 40-10.

GSG!

boutons_
02-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Huge turn of events in the last 2 weeks.

On 29 Jan, the Pistons were at 37-5 and on an 11-game win streak, and looking extremely tough, "on a mission".

Boom!! Without any injuries or other bad news, in the next 8 games, they go 4-4 to put their "mission" of Finals HCA within reach of the Spurs.

hussker
02-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Huge turn of events in the last 2 weeks.

On 29 Jan, the Pistons were at 37-5 and on an 11-game win streak, and looking extremely tough, "on a mission".

Boom!! Without any injuries or other bad news, in the next 8 games, they go 4-4 to put their "mission" of Finals HCA within reach of the Spurs.

All the Missions are in SA!

Rick Von Braun
02-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Finley+Barry+Horry = "Time to make the DONUTS!"

This too shall pass. Thank God and Argentina that Manu carried the boys on his back today. Great TEAMS find creative ways to win. As a TEAM, the Spurs recognize all up and down the bench who is hot and what situations work.

This may have been the SIGNATURE game this year, only because of the comeback at the end, the resiliency of the Spurs and Manu taking charge. Not as dramatic as Signature games from the past (vs Houston 1999...the Mario Elie three and vs Phoenix last year when Manu took over then too), but as close to a Sig game as we have come this year.

Watch out rest of NBA. Beware when a team that is not healthy AT ALL or clicking AT ALL is 40-10.

GSG!
I mostly agree with your post. However, I think the Spurs are still not clicking, at least not at the level I expect (and I am saying this right after a win, so people please don't misundertand this with venting after a loss). In addition to Duncan not being his usual self due to nagging injuries and/or flu, and Manu not being 100% just yet, the most troublesome issue in my opinion is the lack of offensive flow.

Last season, during a strech around January, the Spurs developed a lot of movement without the ball. Lots of pick & roll, combined with top and back screens (sometimes more than one) with two players running through screens at the same time. They moved the ball very well and the passing was crisp. It was the best team basketball that I've seen in a while. This addition to the Spurs offensive arsenal was critical during several games in the playoffs. The Spurs were able to run and to mix up the offense to make it less predictable and dependent on Tim. I have not seen anything that even resembles that this season.

This year, the Spurs are still too dependent on 4-down with Tim, and/or some penetration by TP or Manu. The passing is gone, as well as the movement without the ball. I believe that players like Barry, Van Exel, Finley and Oberto would excel in more dynamic style of offense. It would be a fantastic opportunity to improve the offensive flow and get something more productive out of our bench.

The Spurs are finding ways to win games, and that is encouraging. The job to get ready for a playoff run is not done yet.

Vinnie_Johnson
02-12-2006, 10:18 PM
41-9 The sky is falling run forest run!!!!!

Stephen A Smith
02-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Quite frankly, JJ Redick is my new love bitch and will own all of you next year, quite frankly.

hussker
02-12-2006, 10:22 PM
I mostly agree with your post. However, I think the Spurs are still not clicking, at least not at the level I expect (and I am saying this right after a win, so people please don't misundertand this with venting after a loss). In addition to Duncan not being his usual self due to nagging injuries and/or flu, and Manu not being 100% just yet, the most troublesome issue in my opinion is the lack of offensive flow.

Last season, during a strech around January, the Spurs developed a lot of movement without the ball. Lots of pick & roll, combined with top and back screens (sometimes more than one) with two players running through screens at the same time. They moved the ball very well and the passing was crisp. It was the best team basketball that I've seen in a while. This addition to the Spurs offensive arsenal was critical during several games in the playoffs. The Spurs were able to run and to mix up the offense to make it less predictable and dependent on Tim. I have not seen anything that even resembles that this season.

This year, the Spurs are still too dependent on 4-down with Tim, and/or some penetration by TP or Manu. The passing is gone, as well as the movement without the ball. I believe that players like Barry, Van Exel, Finley and Oberto would excel in more dynamic style of offense. It would be a fantastic opportunity to improve the offensive flow and get something more productive out of our bench.

The Spurs are finding ways to win games, and that is encouraging. The job to get ready for a playoff run is not done yet.

1) MY POINT WAS THEY ARE NOT CLICKING AT ALL.
2) Stuffin A Myth...stfu

AFE7FATMAN
02-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Oh hell, don't you have a Holly Hills meeting to go to? Or a "San Antonio is the greatest city in the universe" rally to attend?

:lol :lol :lol

Rick Von Braun
02-12-2006, 10:32 PM
1) MY POINT WAS THEY ARE NOT CLICKING AT ALL. Correct. This is why I mostly agree with you. No need to shout :)

2) Stuffin A Myth...stfu :wtf