PDA

View Full Version : Best place to go for Car Stereo

ObiwanGinobili
02-13-2006, 10:19 AM
So my new car has no stereo (but it does have speakers - good ones).

I got the guy to knock off $700 because the stereo is missing & the sun visor is broken, (mostly because I was able to prove to him w/ paperwork that that stupid sunvisor is $360 freaking dollars)

Anyway - i really don't want to spend more than 150/200 on the radio.
Something simple - no fancy schmancy buttons that you have to read a 400 page manuel to understand - cd player or cd changer.

where do ya'll thgink would be the best place to buy & get one installed??
seems like everyone is down on Best Buy, and thats where we were going to go.
But honestly I've never bought a car stereo before...
si i know nothing aboiut best buy, fyi, mothers etc.

give me the 411.

thanks.

SequSpur
02-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Best Buy....

:lol

KEDA
02-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Check your PMs

ObiwanGinobili
02-13-2006, 10:37 AM
theres nothing there

midgetonadonkey
02-13-2006, 10:37 AM
The one I have now I got off a friend of a friend. It was $20 but didn't come with wires needed to install it. I had to buy those off of ebay for $10.

If you want a legal stereo, Best Buy or Circuit City are the places to go. I've purchased two other ones at Circuit City and they did a nice job installing it and the warrenty they offer is pretty good. Too bad the warrenty doesn't cover bastard kids breaking into your vehicle and stealing the radio.

KEDA
02-13-2006, 10:50 AM
sorry

try now

and DONT got to BB or CC

sa_butta
02-13-2006, 12:28 PM
I usually go to electronics 2000 on San Pedro, I know the owner there. His name is Steve and he is really cool. You can get a really nice cd player and they do good installs. You could also look at Cartunes about two doors down from them and see who has the better deal.

ZStomp
02-13-2006, 02:42 PM
sorry

try now

and DONT got to BB or CC

I did. I have. And will. :tu

Until i have a problem with them..we cool. :fro

ZStomp
02-13-2006, 02:42 PM
J and Y Electronics...get one with MP3 capabilities!

Mixability
02-13-2006, 04:02 PM
I usually go to electronics 2000 on San Pedro, I know the owner there. His name is Steve and he is really cool.

Steve's brother Jinx was much better with prices. Too bad he works at BB now. Steve was always quoting me hundreds of dollars more for stuff Jinx hooked it up with afterhours.

Mixability
02-13-2006, 04:02 PM
J and Y Electronics...get one with MP3 capabilities!

On Zarzamora?

If so, :vomit

She might leave there with a stupid ricer bodykit and Folgers can exhaust.

T Park
02-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Best Buy.

Ive taken my truck and cars in there before, and the work has been fantastic, and the workers explain everything to you if need be.

Bes Buy on Ingram is the shit. :tu

SpursWoman
02-13-2006, 08:11 PM
http://www.audio-n-more.com/images/jvc/kd-ar7000.jpg

I bought this/had it installed at Best Buy at the Forum last year, and they did an awesome job. :tu

SequSpur
02-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Best Buy rules...........

Horry For 3!
02-13-2006, 09:17 PM
I gotta get speakers and a stereo system as well. My speakers blew out and I don't have a stereo system just the truck's radio from manufactor and its shitty so might as well get a stereo system.

MannyIsGod
02-13-2006, 09:31 PM
I usually bought my stuff at crutchfield.com. I enjoyed installing it myself however. If I was going to have something installed, I'd shop around for a decent deal at either Best Buy or Ciruit City and get free installation.

MI21
02-13-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm not in SA, but I know quite a bit about Car Stereo and if you really don't care to much about it and just want a simple stereo and to have it installed, just go to a large retail sort of place. They'll do a fine job if you aren't heavy into stereo's.

Other sort of speciality type shops will generally do a better job, but they will charge more and you probably won't notice the difference unless you get a pumping system.

I actually just cut down on some of my stereo in my car, took a Sub and Amp out because the car was starting to feel a bit to heavy in the rear and that ain't good for a 2 door :)

Horry For 3!
02-13-2006, 11:20 PM
I usually bought my stuff at crutchfield.com. I enjoyed installing it myself however. If I was going to have something installed, I'd shop around for a decent deal at either Best Buy or Ciruit City and get free installation.
Ah yes, Crutchfield. My friend knows a shit load about Car Stereos and he said Crutchfield is solid.

SpursWoman
02-14-2006, 12:10 AM
and get free installation.

:tu

That's what I did ... there was a good sale on the stereo and it came with free installation. Can't beat that price. :lol

ObiwanGinobili
02-14-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks guys! :tu

We are going tonight after Emo gets off of work to look around at a few places.
Hopefully I'll soon be able to turn up the volume & drown out my kids! :lol

midgetonadonkey
02-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Hopefully I'll soon be able to turn up the volume & drown my kids! :lol

Is that you Andrea Yates?

SpursWoman
02-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Is that you Andrea Yates?

Or Susan Smith? :wow

midgetonadonkey
02-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Or Susan Smith? :wow

sa_butta
02-14-2006, 09:42 AM
I just found a replacement faceplate for my stereo that theives stole from me. They broke into my car and only stole the faceplate. I found it yesterday on Ebay for $17. I thought I was going to have to purchase a new stereo.

lebomb
02-14-2006, 10:33 AM
NO......NO.......NO........... :flipoff

Go to Custom sounds.......either on San Pedro or Bandera Rd. They do awesome installs. They saulder (sp?) all of the speaker connections, not just plug them in. They have done installs for alot of Spurs and people with real high end cars.......Porsche, Farraris Mercedes and the like. Trust me.....this is where you want to go for an install.

Mixability
02-14-2006, 10:38 AM

Crutchfield even sells installation cards that you can take to local installers if you don't feel like doing the work.

SpursWoman
02-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Trust me.....this is where you want to go for an install.

Not necessarily if you don't have an unlimited budget and are really not all that into how your wires are soldered together...but just want something simple that doesn't cost a lot because right now you have nothing at all.

Not everyone drives Porsches and Ferraris or thinks it really cool to wake up every freaking neighborhood with bass so loud no one has any clue how you can even hear the music....and can't help but think that there's a good probability that those people are walking around with a permanently numb ass from all of the constant vibration. :music :fro :lol

Mixability
02-14-2006, 10:44 AM
NO......NO.......NO........... :flipoff

Go to Custom sounds.......either on San Pedro or Bandera Rd. They do awesome installs. They saulder (sp?) all of the speaker connections, not just plug them in. They have done installs for alot of Spurs and people with real high end cars.......Porsche, Farraris Mercedes and the like. Trust me.....this is where you want to go for an install.

:wtf

Who doesn't SOLDER connections anymore!? Even when I installed the subs in my trunk, I soldered the connections.

Quote at Custom Sounds:
4 10" Sony Xplod Subs in standard box with Sony amp installed in trunk

$1200

Work done at Electronics 2000:
4 12" Digital Designs Subs in custom box made for my trunk specifically with PPI amp installed under seat for ac vent for cooling

$1200

If you KNOW your car audio, you'll know how awesome this deal was.

:fro

SpursWoman
02-14-2006, 10:47 AM
All that means to me is you better not be one of those motherfuckers that drives up and down Harry Wurzbach in the middle of the night with that shit blasting like you're trying to wake up everyone at Sunset Memorial.

Mixability
02-14-2006, 10:51 AM
All that means to me is you better not be one of those motherfuckers that drives up and down Harry Wurzbach in the middle of the night with that shit blasting like you're trying to wake up everyone at Sunset Memorial.

:lmao

nah, i actually despise those kinds of guys. i actually just like having the top down on the freeway and still be able to actually hear the music. imagine the look on peoples faces when i was "bumpin" the soundtrack to Ray in the Circuit City parking lot. :lol

ObiwanGinobili
02-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Not necessarily if you don't have an unlimited budget and are really not all that into how your wires are soldered together...but just want something simple that doesn't cost a lot because right now you have nothing at all.

Not everyone drives Porsches and Ferraris or thinks it really cool to wake up every freaking neighborhood with bass so loud no one has any clue how you can even hear the music....and can't help but think that there's a good probability that those people are walking around with a permanently numb ass from all of the constant vibration. :music :fro :lol

A freakin men.

I didn't even want a CD player but Emo talked me into it.
I'm so far behind the times that the last CD I bought was BloodSugarSexMAgic by the chili peppers :lol

LONJAS
02-14-2006, 01:34 PM
LA caNtera...........take your pick of cars and/or stereos..................

SpursWoman
02-14-2006, 02:03 PM
LA caNtera...........take your pick of cars and/or stereos..................

:lol :lol

lebomb
02-14-2006, 02:31 PM

.......by saying they worked on those types of vehicles, I meant that they do QUALITY work.
:rolleyes

Ive had several sound systems installed in several different cars and Custom Sounds has always done the best work.

Right now I have an OEM system in my new Accord, but added an Alpine amp, Slotported box and JL subwoofer......total cost. $400

Sounds great for a low powered system.

lebomb
02-14-2006, 02:34 PM

Who doesn't SOLDER connections anymore!?

Even when I installed the subs in my trunk, I soldered the connections.

Quote at Custom Sounds:

$1200

4 12" Digital Designs Subs in custom box made for my trunk specifically with PPI amp installed under seat for ac vent for cooling

$1200

Best Buy and CC will NOT solder connections. Anyhow, yes Electronics does seem to have the better deal (I know about DD and PPI). Custom sounds still does good work.......Im sure Electronics 2000 does as well.

SpursWoman
02-14-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm sure it does...and I'm sure they do do quality work, but considering she said she doesn't want to spend more than $100-$200 for just a simple radio for her car ... they might be a little more than what she wants to pay.

And I have had a stereo installed at a specialty place ... and they did awesome work. But they charged a lot more than Best Buy does (which is $0.00 if you buy a radio over $99 or something like that). Having to pay for install too will take away from what she's able to spend on the actual radio.

Mixability
02-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Best Buy and CC will NOT solder connections. Anyhow, yes Electronics does seem to have the better deal (I know about DD and PPI). Custom sounds still does good work.......Im sure Electronics 2000 does as well.

the fact that you have alpine and JL in your car makes me doubt that you do know about DD and PPI.

:angel :lol

let me guess, you've bought SuperPro speakers too?

sa_butta
02-14-2006, 04:17 PM
the fact that you have alpine and JL in your car makes me doubt that you do know about DD and PPI.

:lolIn a bandpass box...
Excellent.

Mixability
02-14-2006, 05:02 PM
In a bandpass box...
Excellent.

KEDA
02-14-2006, 05:03 PM

Who doesn't SOLDER connections anymore!? Even when I installed the subs in my trunk, I soldered the connections.

Quote at Custom Sounds:

$1200

$1200

Jassa showed me how to re-cone a 9917 at DD in Oklahoma City!

and yes you got a good deal.

Mixability
02-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Jassa showed me how to re-cone a 9917 at DD in Oklahoma City!

and yes you got a good deal.

of course Jinx hooked it up for me....

and through in a hardwired radar detector installation. :fro

KEDA
02-14-2006, 05:13 PM
I remember using the front office at DD as a hotel room while we were waiting on 9917s to be built. Nothing like sleeping on to chairs!!!

Man, sometimes I really miss competing, then I look at the price tag, and remember why I DONT miss competing.

Mixability
02-14-2006, 05:29 PM
I remember using the front office at DD as a hotel room while we were waiting on 9917s to be built. Nothing like sleeping on to chairs!!!

Man, sometimes I really miss competing, then I look at the price tag, and remember why I DONT miss competing.

I loved it. But yeah, essentials are more important these days than spending $800 on a sub.

But I could slum it and buy some JL Audio crap... :angel :lol

SequSpur
02-14-2006, 05:57 PM
with today's technology, you don't have to solder shit... they make clamps, quick connections, etc. etc...

that's just a catch to get you to go to their store.

KEDA
02-14-2006, 07:58 PM
I loved it. But yeah, essentials are more important these days than spending $800 on a sub.

But I could slum it and buy some JL Audio crap... :angel :lol

what did you used to compete in??

MI21
02-14-2006, 10:39 PM
KEDA, you used to compete?

Got any pictures of your car/cars you used to compete in that you would like to post?

I'd be interested in seeing some.

ObiwanGinobili
02-14-2006, 10:51 PM
KEDA, you used to compete?

Got any pictures of your car/cars you used to compete in that you would like to post?

I'd be interested in seeing some.

i thought billy was a pro-bowler??

KEDA
02-14-2006, 11:30 PM
no, not a pro bowler

but yes I used to compete

I actually held a world record in dB Drag Racing for a while back in 2001.

Ill look and see if I have any pictures of my PT Cruiser that I used to compete with.

lebomb
02-15-2006, 09:08 AM

Hahahahahaha........ :rolleyes

No AssMunch, I have a JL12W1 (entry sub) in a ported box tuned to 32hz. Also, Alpine makes good equipment. For your information, Ive been into car audio for over 20yrs......the fact I dont run DD and PPI is because Ive graduated from the highend, SPL systems and just run a modest system integrated into my Accord. I dont need 2,000 watts to satisfy me anymore.

Do you know who Adire Audio, Incriminator Audio, Resonant Engineering, Beyond Audio, Blueprint Audio, or RE Audio is???

The reason I suggested Custom sounds over BB or Circuitcity? You may pay an extra $30-$50 for the install, but I think its worth it for the quality of install you will get. This is just my H/O.

SpursWoman
02-15-2006, 09:21 AM
The reason I suggested Custom sounds over BB or Circuitcity? You may pay an extra $30-$50 for the install, but I think its worth it for the quality of install you will get. This is just my H/O.

I'm inclined to agree ... but the casual user is not going to really notice any difference whatsoever, so why pay the extra $30-$50 when you can use it to by like, diapers n'stuff. :)

lebomb
02-15-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm inclined to agree ... but the casual user is not going to really notice any difference whatsoever, so why pay the extra $30-$50 when you can use it to by like, diapers n'stuff. :)

I understand........I have one on the way, so I cut corners anyway I can.
:spin

tlongII
02-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Car Toys

ObiwanGinobili
02-15-2006, 11:37 AM

so we bought the stereo yesterday and it was $80 less than we had planned. :fro
(panasonic, so simple we figured it out with out help or a book, p e r f e c t)

.......... so we promptly went to Sam's & bought 4 cases of Pampers. :princess :lol

sa_butta
02-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Where did you wind up going to purchase the stereo?

SpursWoman
02-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Awesome! :lol :lol

ObiwanGinobili
02-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Sadly best buy.

We looked one other place but they didn't have what we wanted.. .went buy another place and they were closed already.... so it was Best Buy @ 9pm for us.

SpursWoman
02-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Sadly? did you have a bad experience?

I hear so many people ripping on them (obviously), but other than my laptop taking forever to get fixed, I've really had no problem with them at all.

ObiwanGinobili
02-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Sadly? did you have a bad experience?

I hear so many people ripping on them (obviously), but other than my laptop taking forever to get fixed, I've really had no problem with them at all.

It wasn't the worst experiance of my life.... but it was lacking. I went to the one @ 410 & Ingram, been there plenty of times before with no problem.
But last night there was a lack of prices & employees. We were looking at a TV & a ALptop also and there were only prices on about 1/2 the stuff and we couldn;t find/flag down an emoployee in those sections to save our life.
Back in car stereo section there was 1 guy working it and once he was helping us (becasue once again we'd like to know the price) he would keep leaving us to go help someone else... thus dragging our transaction out for almost 30 min.s

But he was friendly and explained everything. So Kudos to Enrique.

Mixability
02-15-2006, 12:35 PM
what did you used to compete in??

Jinx was the designer of my system, I like to keep one brand, I'm picky like that. So I ran a wall of 16 10" PPI and about 8 amps. Yeah, not too good, but I enjoyed it. As long as I could bump out the SuperPro "team" from J&Y with their truckbed full of crappy 15", I was happy. :fro

Mixability
02-15-2006, 12:42 PM
Hahahahahaha........ :rolleyes

No AssMunch, I have a JL12W1 (entry sub) in a ported box tuned to 32hz. Also, Alpine makes good equipment. For your information, Ive been into car audio for over 20yrs......the fact I dont run DD and PPI is because Ive graduated from the highend, SPL systems and just run a modest system integrated into my Accord. I dont need 2,000 watts to satisfy me anymore.

Do you know who Adire Audio, Incriminator Audio, Resonant Engineering, Beyond Audio, Blueprint Audio, or RE Audio is???

wow a ported box..... I apologize, you're the shit. :lol

20 years and you still go to Custom Sounds? Wow. :shootme

No one ever NEEDS a 2,000 watt system, but if they're running crappy equipment..........those 2K watts mean shit.

Ah, the infamous name drop....... No, I don't know who they are, enlighten me. :rolleyes

Maybe if you knew how to install your own shit, you wouldn't HAVE to waste your money for precious soldered connections. You'd pay $30-$50 MORE for simple soldering. Let me guess, you have a $40,000+ car and live in an apartment? :angel :lol

Mixability
02-15-2006, 12:44 PM
.......... so we promptly went to Sam's & bought 4 cases of Pampers. :princess :lol

good thing you didn't pay $50 for the extra soldering. :lol

KEDA
02-15-2006, 03:23 PM

Resonant Engineering and RE Audio are the same thing BTW

Beyond Audio went out of business a few years ago, but it was basically dB Don making woofers out of garage anyway. Aidre was the comapny Scottie Johnson used before R E and Incriminator just came out with some new amps.

also I know where the Red Team Gates Bronco is, and I dont think its red anymore!

And I helped build the Silver Bronco with JBL!

NOW THATS A NAME DROP!!!

Mixability
02-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Resonant Engineering and RE Audio are the same thing BTW

Beyond Audio went out of business a few years ago, but it was basically dB Don making woofers out of garage anyway. Aidre was the comapny Scottie Johnson used before R E and Incriminator just came out with some new amps.

also I know where the Red Team Gates Bronco is, and I dont think its red anymore!

And I helped build the Silver Bronco with JBL!

NOW THATS A NAME DROP!!!

BURN.

KEDA
02-15-2006, 04:32 PM
oh and BTW I have 2400 Watts to my 3 12s in my daily driver/reitree truck!

and thats not counting the mid/high amp!

SpursWoman
02-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Dude! I have this thing on mine that says "Power"!

:lmao :makeout

Mixability
02-15-2006, 05:52 PM
oh and BTW I have 2400 Watts to my 3 12s in my daily driver/reitree truck!

and thats not counting the mid/high amp!

nice, I'm looking to just run a single down firing 15" in my daily driver. I like my bass deep.

ObiwanGinobili
02-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Dude! I have this thing on mine that says "Power"!

:lmao :makeout

Got you beat!! Mine has buttons that say "volume" and "band" !!! :fro

lebomb
02-16-2006, 01:29 PM
wow a ported box..... I apologize, you're the shit. :lol

20 years and you still go to Custom Sounds? Wow. :shootme

No one ever NEEDS a 2,000 watt system, but if they're running crappy equipment..........those 2K watts mean shit.

Ah, the infamous name drop....... No, I don't know who they are, enlighten me. :rolleyes

Maybe if you knew how to install your own shit, you wouldn't HAVE to waste your money for precious soldered connections. You'd pay $30-$50 MORE for simple soldering. Let me guess, you have a $40,000+ car and live in an apartment? :angel :lol

Just because someone doesnt install their own equipment, does not mean they dont understand car audio.

Anyhow, you are the god of car audio. I admit it. Later. :rolleyes

lebomb
02-16-2006, 01:32 PM

so we bought the stereo yesterday and it was $80 less than we had planned. :fro
(panasonic, so simple we figured it out with out help or a book, p e r f e c t)

glad you are happy......

My wife is the same way.....she just wants a simple deck that easy to understand and has a volume, channel buttons, and bass, mid, treble buttons. She is :elephant with that!!

Mixability
02-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Just because someone doesnt install their own equipment, does not mean they dont understand car audio.

You keep telling yourself that.

Maybe if you knew a little more, you wouldn't have paid $40 for soldered connections. :lol