PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Bowen

waly.mg
02-13-2006, 11:03 AM
What do you think about yesterday performance, and his season performance, of Bruce Bowen and if he deserves a place in the All Star game, as Ben Wallace?

1Parker1
02-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Bruce has been great this season...he continuosly amazes me with how well he can keep up defensively against players much younger and stronger than him, year after year. I definitely thought he would have been a step or 2 slower on defense this year..but he hasn't been. The increased offense and 3 point shot is just a bonus with him

Not quite sure if he's an "All Star." Simply because, well honestly they don't play any defense in the game and also there's a lot more SF's/Guards he'd have to compete against to get a slot. Ben Wallace doesn't have that much competition since there's only a handful of good centers in the league.

1Parker1
02-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Actually, now that I think about it...every time I went in to nba. com and voted for Duncan and Parker in the ASG, I also voted for Bruce :spin

I wonder how many votes he ended up with :lol

sa_butta
02-13-2006, 11:13 AM
I think his defense is awsome. And he has continually improved is offense. He doesnt just settle for the corner 3 all the time, he uses the fake and drives in occasionally. Bruce is an Allstar for the Spurs but not in the NBA.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Sadly, the forwards in the West are just too damn deep for Bruce to get a spot. The All Star Weekend should have some kind of defensive skills competition. I don't quite know how that would work though. Maybe Bruce vs. a team of midgets? If nothing else the All Star game needs something to get people's attention.

Peter
02-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Are we thinking about the moment in the 4th when Bowen got beat by his man and the weak side help failed to show up?

I think Bowen benefitted greatly from having the best player as well as best low block threat in the league on his team. No TD and Bowen maybe hits one late shot as the Pacers roll up the easy home win.

cheguevara
02-13-2006, 11:19 AM
The allstar is a game for showboating. If Bruce was in it he would lock down Vince Carter and 'cause him to get ejected. The NBA is scared of Bruce Bowen

dmac
02-13-2006, 11:38 AM
... If Bruce was in it he would lock down Vince Carter and 'cause him to get ejected. ...

damn right

Ishta
02-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Bruce is the fucking MAN!!!!!!!

ObiwanGinobili
02-13-2006, 11:41 AM
If Bruce Bowen was the lunch lady - noonw would ever get the extra slice.

lilmads
02-13-2006, 11:53 AM
If Bowen were more offensive, I'm sure he'd have a shot at all-star... But he's much more about defense... Which is what people don't care much for unfortunately...

Sportman
02-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Not quite sure if he's an "All Star." Simply because, well honestly they don't play any defense in the game and also there's a lot more SF's/Guards he'd have to compete against to get a slot. Ben Wallace doesn't have that much competition since there's only a handful of good centers in the league.

I agree at this point, nevertheless he is an all star player, because he has won two championship and he is one of the best defensive players. I think bruce doesnt need to go at an all star game to know what he deserves.

DDS4
02-13-2006, 12:43 PM
This is the best I've seen Bruce play as a Spur. His offensive game is expanding.

He's filling in the void when Finley is slackin' (which is getting pretty frequent unfortunately).

mando6599
02-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Are we thinking about the moment in the 4th when Bowen got beat by his man and the weak side help failed to show up?

I think Bowen benefitted greatly from having the best player as well as best low block threat in the league on his team. No TD and Bowen maybe hits one late shot as the Pacers roll up the easy home win.

In Bowen's defense(pun intended), he sometimes gives his man the angle b/c he's sure a big man will be there to help stop his penetration to the rim. It's not Bowen's fault that Duncan wasn't paying attention to where the ball was.

mando

Jimcs50
02-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Actually, now that I think about it...every time I went in to nba. com and voted for Duncan and Parker in the ASG, I also voted for Bruce :spin

That depends on how many times you went in to vote for him.

:)

leemajors
02-13-2006, 01:27 PM

did you watch the whole play? bowen didn't get beat, he funneled his man to the baseline, where nazr totally missed his rotation and sjax dunked it - he was jerking off near the free throw line, 10 feet from where he should have been. next time down the court, pacers tried it again, this time duncan was the help defender and the play was shut down. another example of piss poor rotation/help defense by nazr, bruce gave him a look after sjax dunked.

Peter
02-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Bowen did get beat. Yes, his great D is predicated on having a shotblocker behind him.

pache100
02-13-2006, 02:32 PM

He ended up with at least yours plus ever how many times I voted! I did the same thing you did. :lol

T-Pain
02-13-2006, 02:34 PM
What do you think about yesterday performance, and his season performance, of Bruce Bowen and if he deserves a place in the All Star game, as Ben Wallace?

i thought he shoulda been in the 3PT shootout

implacable44
02-13-2006, 02:41 PM
did you watch the whole play? bowen didn't get beat, he funneled his man to the baseline, where nazr totally missed his rotation and sjax dunked it - he was jerking off near the free throw line, 10 feet from where he should have been. next time down the court, pacers tried it again, this time duncan was the help defender and the play was shut down. another example of piss poor rotation/help defense by nazr, bruce gave him a look after sjax dunked.

why would he get mad an NAZR? I mean if he is this great defender - why does he need help ?

Bowen is a good defensive player but he totally benefits from TD and the "team defense" philosophy of the Spurs. He did get beat.

leemajors
02-13-2006, 03:17 PM
why would he get mad an NAZR? I mean if he is this great defender - why does he need help ?

Bowen is a good defensive player but he totally benefits from TD and the "team defense" philosophy of the Spurs. He did get beat.

spurs defensive philosophy in that situation is to funnel the player to the baseline, and the shotblocker is supposed to rotate - sjax dunked because nazr missed his rotation - bowen played it like he should have and as a result of nazr's mistake sjax dunked. is that so hard to comprehend?

pache100
02-13-2006, 03:29 PM
i thought he shoulda been in the 3PT shootout

Me, too! It was a direct snub that he wasn't, and I would be embarrassed if I were one of the ones choosing and made this error. http://i1.tinypic.com/npjgns.gif