PDA

View Full Version : 'Jaws' Author Peter Benchley Dies

desflood
02-13-2006, 01:32 PM
'Jaws' Author Peter Benchley Dies at 65 By HILLEL ITALIE, AP National Writer
Mon Feb 13, 10:10 AM ET

NEW YORK - Peter Benchley, whose novel "Jaws" made millions think twice about stepping into the water even as the author himself became an advocate for the conservation of sharks, has died at age 65, his widow said Sunday.

Wendy Benchley, married to the author for 41 years, said he died Saturday night at their home in Princeton, N.J. The cause of death, she said, was idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, a progressive and fatal scarring of the lungs.

Thanks to Benchley's 1974 novel, and Steven Spielberg's blockbuster movie of the same name, the simple pastime of ocean swimming became synonymous with fatal horror, of still water followed by ominous, pumping music, then teeth and blood and panic.

"Spielberg certainly made the most superb movie; Peter was very pleased," Wendy Benchley told The Associated Press.

"But Peter kept telling people the book was fiction, it was a novel, and that he no more took responsibility for the fear of sharks than Mario Puzo took responsibility for the Mafia."

Benchley, the grandson of humorist Robert Benchley and son of author Nathaniel Benchley, was born in New York City in 1940. He attended the elite Philips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire, then graduated from Harvard University in 1961. He worked at The Washington Post and Newsweek and spent two years as a speechwriter for President Johnson, writing some "difficult" speeches about the Vietnam War, Wendy Benchley said.

A 1974 article in People magazine described Benchley as "Tall, slender and movie-star handsome, with eyes like the deep blue sea." The author's interest in sharks was lifelong, beginning with childhood visits to Nantucket Island in Massachusetts and heightening in the mid-1960s when he read about a fisherman catching a 4,550-pound great white shark off Long Island, the setting for his novel.

"I thought to myself, `What would happen if one of those came around and wouldn't go away?"' he recalled. Benchley didn't start the novel, for which he received a $7,500 advance, until 1971 because he was too busy with his day jobs.

"There was no particular influence. My idea was to tell my first novel as a sort of long story ... just to see if I could do it. I had been a freelance writer since I was 16, and I sold things to various magazines and newspapers whenever I could."

While Peter Benchley co-wrote the screenplay for "Jaws," and authored several other novels, including "The Deep" and "The Island," Wendy Benchley said he was especially proud of his conservation work. He served on the national council of Environmental Defense, hosted numerous television wildlife programs, gave speeches around the world and wrote articles for National Geographic and other publications.

"He cared very much about sharks. He spent most of his life trying to explain to people that if you are in the ocean, you're in the shark's territory, so it behooves you to take precautions," Wendy Benchley said.

The author did not abide by the mayhem his book evoked. In fact, he was quite at ease around sharks, his widow said. She recalled a trip to Guadeloupe, Mexico last year for their 40th wedding anniversary, when the two went into the water in a special cage.

"They put bait in the water and sharks swim around and play games," she said.

"We went at a time when the females came in and the females were much larger than the males. And at times we would have 4 or 5 of the most gorgeous female torpedoes drifting by the cage. We were thrilled, excited. We'd been around sharks for so long."

Besides his wife, Peter Benchley is survived by three children and five grandchildren. A small family service will take place next week in Princeton, Wendy Benchley said.

Trainwreck2100
02-13-2006, 01:35 PM
He made killing sharks fun again.

pache100
02-13-2006, 02:58 PM
The original "Jaws" is the only movie that ever scared me badly enough that I had bad dreams about it. When Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss) reaches up and tilts that boat down, I KNEW that head was going to roll over in his face; a friend had already seen it and told me all about that scene. It still scared me to death :lol , and I screamed. I still jump every time at that point in the movie. That movie caused more reflexive reactions in a theater crowd than anything I have seen before or since.

ShoogarBear
02-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Peter Benchley sleeps with the fishes.

Melmart1
02-13-2006, 03:19 PM
He wrote very well, but it is still funny if you read the book, it is almost nothing like hte movie. The same characters, including the shark, but all the personalities were cleaned up for the movie. In the book, Hooper and Ellen have an affair! Go figure... But stilll a well-written book nonetheless.

Triumph
02-13-2006, 03:28 PM
This is great, my list of who the fuck is that just grew by once person.

1st tim reynolds and now this benchley stiff.

pache100
02-13-2006, 03:37 PM
He wrote very well, but it is still funny if you read the book, it is almost nothing like hte movie. The same characters, including the shark, but all the personalities were cleaned up for the movie. In the book, Hooper and Ellen have an affair! Go figure... But stilll a well-written book nonetheless.

Wow, I did not know that! I'm gonna have to read the book now!

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-13-2006, 03:46 PM

I read the book about three years ago and I was really surprised at how different they were. The book really played up the socio-economic differences in the people who lived in the little town and the rich "summer people" whose money the town relied upon and the strange, almost resentful symbiosis. And Hooper dies, IIRC, though that's not terrible as the book doesn't really make him that likeable.

The thing that amazed me though was that even though I'd seen the movie and had some idea of how it would turn out the book was still so well written that I couldn't put it down.

R.I.P Mr. Benchley.

Melmart1
02-13-2006, 03:59 PM
The thing that amazed me though was that even though I'd seen the movie and had some idea of how it would turn out the book was still so well written that I couldn't put it down.

R.I.P Mr. Benchley.

I felt the same way. I read it cover to cover, even though I had seen the movie several times. In fact, the movie scared me so much (I saw it when I was about 5) that I wouldnt go to the beach, even though we lived in L.A. at the time. Then a kid who lived in the same complex came over and saw we had a rubber Jaws toy in the bathroom. He said when it touched water, that it would come alive like Jaws and I believed him. My mom had to sponge bathe me for a week before I would set a toe in the tub. :lol I think everyone has a Jaws story.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-13-2006, 04:06 PM
I felt the same way. I read it cover to cover, even though I had seen the movie several times. In fact, the movie scared me so much (I saw it when I was about 5) that I wouldnt go to the beach, even though we lived in L.A. at the time. Then a kid who lived in the same complex came over and saw we had a rubber Jaws toy in the bathroom. He said when it touched water, that it would come alive like Jaws and I believed him. My mom had to sponge bathe me for a week before I would set a toe in the tub. :lol I think everyone has a Jaws story.

About two weeks after I saw Jaws for the first time (I think I was about 8), there was a shark attack off the Florida coast so I became convinced that the Gulf was full of man eaters. After nearly a year of parental reassurance I felt safe going into the water when my family went to Corpus Christi. No shark attacks, but I got stung by a jellyfish. The whole thing soured me on the ocean for a while.