PDA

View Full Version : TNT's "Next 10"

FromWayDowntown
02-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Spurs-related with at least 3 current or former Spurs under consideration:

(February 13, 2006) — The NBA celebrated its 50th anniversary by honoring the "50 Greatest Players" at the 1997 All-Star Game.

TNT this week will pick an unofficial "Next 10." The list includes active players (except Shaquille O'Neal, who was among the original top 50) and players who were bypassed last decade.

Here are the 20 finalists:

Walt Bellamy
Kobe Bryant
Adrian Dantley
Joe Dumars
Tim Duncan
Alex English
Kevin Garnett
Connie Hawkins
Allen Iverson
LeBron James
Dennis Johnson
Jason Kidd
Bernard King
Bob Lanier
Bob McAdoo
Reggie Miller
Steve Nash
Gary Payton
Dennis Rodman
Dominique Wilkins

TNT will pick 'Next 10': Start with Kobe (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060213/SPORTS0101/602130338/1007/RSS02)

So, who makes your next 10, forum denizens? I'm assuming that Timmy and Kobe are absolute no-brainers, but who else makes your Top 60 of All-Time?

Here's (http://www.nba.com/history/players/50greatest.html) a link to the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History, named at the 1997 All-Star game

lilmads
02-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Walt Bellamy
Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Allen Iverson
LeBron James
Jason Kidd
Reggie Miller
Steve Nash

That's 9... I dont know any of the others... :depressed I'm a newbie...

Jimcs50
02-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Allen Iverson
LeBron James
Jason Kidd
Bernard King
Reggie Miller
Steve Nash
Dominique Wilkins

Jimcs50
02-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Walt Bellamy
Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Allen Iverson
LeBron James
Jason Kidd
Reggie Miller
Steve Nash

That's 9... I dont know any of the others... :depressed I'm a newbie...

You know walt Bellamy, and not Wilkins????

ZStomp
02-13-2006, 02:44 PM
You know walt Bellamy, and not Wilkins????

Or gary payton?

Horry For 3!
02-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan
Alex English
Kevin Garnett
Allen Iverson
Bernard King
Bob McAdoo
Reggie Miller
Dennis Rodman
Dominique Wilkins

polandprzem
02-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Walt Bellamy - Yup he is the one of the best big mens in early years of basketball
Kobe Bryant - with 3 rings I think would pick him also
Adrian Dantley - nope
Joe Dumars - nope
Tim Duncan -yup, no question
Alex English - no
Kevin Garnett - yup
Connie Hawkins - yes
Allen Iverson - yup
LeBron James -no absolutely not
Dennis Johnson - yes
Jason Kidd - yes
Bernard King - yes even he had not long career in his prime
Bob Lanier - yup
Bob McAdoo - yes
Reggie Miller - yup
Steve Nash - nope
Gary Payton - yup
Dennis Rodman - yup
Dominique Wilkins - yup

Thats 15.

If I must cut those 5?

Lanier, Payton, Miller, Kidd (Hawkins), Iverson

nkdlunch
02-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Lebron james??? gethefuck outta here

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Kobe and Tim are locks, from there I add Miller, Iverson, Garnett, Kidd, Nash, Wilkins, Bellamy, and McAdoo.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-13-2006, 04:05 PM
If you look at Artis Gilmore's stats, especially those early in his career, they were pretty staggering. He averaged something like 25 points and 18 rebounds a game his rookie year alone. People discredit so much of what he did because it was in the ABA, but some of those "great" early league centers that people talk about so much would have been owned by the A-Train.

So. . . .Artis Gilmore.

MaNuMaNiAc
02-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Lebron james??? gethefuck outta herehttp://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif I second this motion!

Drive Like Jehu
02-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Everyone on the top 50 list is either in the Basketball Hall of Fame or not yet eligible to be elected. Therefore, I wouldn't include Bernard King, Dennis Johnson, Adrian Dantley
or Joe Dumars in the next ten.

Out of the remaining 16, I'd fill five of the spots with the hall of famers on the list:

Bob McAdoo
Walt Bellamy
Bob Lanier
Alex English
Connie Hawkins

For the final five spots I'd pick:

Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Allen Iverson
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash

The most deserving of the two groups (hall of famers, and current/recent players) are Bob McAdoo and Tim Duncan.

JamStone
02-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Shaquille O'Neal was in his fourth season in 1996 when he was named to the 50 Greatest. It's not that out of the realm of possibility that LeBron James gets named to the 60 Greatest in his third season.

dbreiden83080
02-13-2006, 04:38 PM
Yeah they will put Lebron on there too just because of his future in the game. They did that for Shaq in the greatest 50, what was he like 4 years in the league back then.

lilmads
02-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Or gary payton?

No, I don't know Wilkins...
But I do know Payton.

FromWayDowntown
02-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Shaquille O'Neal was in his fourth season in 1996 when he was named to the 50 Greatest. It's not that out of the realm of possibility that LeBron James gets named to the 60 Greatest in his third season.

True, but by 1996-97, Shaq had already led Orlando to the Finals and the East Finals, where they lost to the 72-win Bulls.

I think Lebron might be among those chosen, but it will be based more on his potential than on his actual achievements.

dbreiden83080
02-13-2006, 04:47 PM
To me Jason Kidd does not belong, neither does Payton, they are overated big time. Neither one of these guys is up there with the likes of Magic, or Isiah or even Stockton. My ten would be,

1) Tim Duncan
2) Kobe Bryant
3) Dominique Wilkins
4) Bob Mcadoo
5) Reggie Miller
6) Kevin Garnett
7) Bernard King
8) Allen Iverson
9) Connie Hawkins
10) Walt Bellamy

JamStone
02-13-2006, 05:01 PM
LeBron put up 25, 7, and 7 in his second year. He was the first player since either Magic or Bird to do that. What he has done in the league so far and his potential will likely put him on the list. That's not saying he won't suffer the same type of misfortune as Penny Hardaway or Grant Hill. Still possibly could. ESPN chose Ken Griffey Jr as a top 100 athlete in the 20th century over Barry Bonds. Sometimes the lists turn out wrong.

aaronstampler
02-13-2006, 05:05 PM
In order:

1 ) Kobe
2) Tim
3) AI
4) 'Nique
5) KG
6) Bernard King
7) Miller
8) Payton
9) McAdoo
10) Bellamy

I'd be shocked if this wasn't the final list, but I guess maybe somebody could replace Bellamy. The first 9 are mortal locks though. Half the guys there had beef that they weren't on the original 50.

ShoogarBear
02-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Bellamy's stats are impressive, but if you look:

1. His best year by far was his rookie year, and then his stats gradually got worse every year thereafter. He made the All-Star team his first four year and then got no awards afterward.
2. He was by most accounts universally disliked and thought to not try hard.
3. Because of #1 and #2, he took a long-ass time to get to the HoF (18 years after retirement).

This is tough. I say:

-Tim
-Kobe
-Iverson
-Kidd
-Garnett
-Dominique
-English
-Payton (I find it funny the number of people who want to take Nash over Payton. If you compare their careers, it's not even close.)
-McAdoo
-Miller vs. Dantley vs. Dumars?

samikeyp
02-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Connie Hawkins
Allen Iverson
Jason Kidd
Bernard King
Bob McAdoo
Reggie Miller
Dominique Wilkins

Since the list is as of right now, I think LeBron hasn't done enough yet. IMO, when the 75 best list is made, LeBron makes it.

baseline bum
02-13-2006, 05:57 PM
01 Tim Duncan
02 Kobe Bryant
03 Kevin Garnett
04 Allen Iverson
05 Dominique Wilkins
06 Bernard King
07 Bob Lanier
08 Jason Kidd
09 Gary Payton
10 Connie Hawkins

TxJudsonRocketTx
02-13-2006, 07:24 PM
Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Allen Iverson
Jason Kidd
Bob Lanier
Reggie Miller
Gary Payton
Dennis Rodman
Dominique Wilkins

I think its a little early to put Lebron in this category, and Nash doesnt play D so this is my 10.

DieMrBond
02-13-2006, 07:47 PM
I agree, LeBron James, what the f***? In his third year, after never being to the playoffs, you want him in the top 60 players of all time? I mean, geez - at least Dominique won the slam dunk contest and got to the playoffs, and even he wasnt in the top 50! This would be my inclusions:

1. Tim Duncan
2. Dominique Wilkins
3. Kobe Bryant
4. Joe Dumars
5. Alex English
6. Bob McAdoo
7. Bernard King
8. Gary Payton
9. Walt Bellamy
10. Kevin Garnett

baseline bum
02-14-2006, 12:41 AM
I don't understand all the love for McAdoo. He had three spectacular seasons in Buffalo, but then became one of those guys who was known for not trying hard and putting the work in to win in his prime. He was great as a 6th man off the Lakers bench when his career winded down, but that's hardly something to make someone a top-60 player alltime. McAdoo is probably one of the most disappointing players in NBA history. He had the tools to become Karl Malone but he ended up closer to Shawn Kemp than the Mailman.

polandprzem
02-14-2006, 02:36 AM
Joe Fulks: The first player to bring the jump shot to professional basketball, "Jumpin' Joe" was an absolute scoring machine in the '40s -- once averaging 26 points per game for a Philadelphia Warriors team that didn't even average 84 a night.
Anybody seen him making a jumpshot? He was bearly above the court when he was making the jumpshot. Although he was the first butb I think people are forgoting Arizin a Champion and 2-time leading scorer. He (the first) had a classic jumpshot. (The most classic that time :) )

If Bob davies is there why not Dave Bing or KC Jones?
As for Dennis Johnson - he was not only clutch but also a great defender which even Iceman appreciates more than any others I hear.

Winnipeg_Spur
02-14-2006, 02:54 AM
I just hope Miller doesn't make it. So overrated...

Rummpd
02-14-2006, 05:49 AM
Walt Bellamy
Kobe Bryant
Adrian Dantley
Joe Dumars
Tim Duncan
Alex English
Kevin Garnett
Connie Hawkins
Allen Iverson
LeBron James
Dennis Johnson
Jason Kidd
Bernard King
Bob Lanier
Bob McAdoo
[B]Reggie Miller
Gary Payton
Dennis Rodman
Dominique Wilkins

The bogus part of this list to me is that Dwyane Wade has accomplished more so far than LeBron James when it counts - if James on list Wade has to be too!

1Parker1
02-14-2006, 01:16 PM
I just hope Miller doesn't make it. So overrated...

You think Reggie Miller is overrated?

Mixability
02-14-2006, 01:21 PM
No, I don't know Wilkins...
But I do know Payton.

pffffft. and you call yourself a Spurs fan!

He was the original #21 of the Spurs. TD doesn't deserve to sweat on 'Niques number!

:lol

newbiefan
02-14-2006, 01:46 PM
pleases me to no end, that majority of you all do not pick lebron at this time. he is a great player, great potential,but still has to prove himself in the long run. am i wrong??

Winnipeg_Spur
02-14-2006, 02:20 PM
You think Reggie Miller is overrated?

Absolutely. I mean, obviously he's a good player, and a great shooter, but overall pretty much one-dimensional. He never made an All-NBA 1st or 2nd team, only made the 3rd team, 3 times. Going strictly by that (which granted may not be the best measure) he was never a top 10 player in the league. That doesn't make him horrible or anything, but it certainly doesn't make him deserving of being one of the top 60 players of all time.
Some people think of him as the greatest clutch shooter of all time but there's no way he deserves that over Jordan. How can he be the clutchest shooter when he missed the biggest shot of his career?

JamStone
02-14-2006, 02:28 PM
KOBE BRYANT and TIM DUNCAN are no-brainers.

I'm too young to remember him, but BOB McADOO appears to be worthy of the honor.

KEVIN GARNETT, ALLEN IVERSON, and LeBRON JAMES will all likely be honored in the top 60.

I would also pick DOMINIQUE WILKINS and DENNIS RODMAN.

The last two would be hard out of that list. But, I think I would go with BOB LANIER and REGGIE MILLER, edging out Bernard King, Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, Walt Bellamy, and Adrian Dantley.

Parkersgirl9
02-14-2006, 02:33 PM
I don't know about Lebron James. NOt yet. It's too early. He hasn't even done anything.

polandprzem
02-14-2006, 02:40 PM
Why Kobe Bryant is no brainer?

he was a sidekick in LA team. He never led his team to success. Never was an MVP and have no scoring title.

Shesh he is brainer :)

JamStone
02-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Why Kobe Bryant is no brainer?

he was a sidekick in LA team. He never led his team to success. Never was an MVP and have no scoring title.

Shesh he is brainer :)

Same reason James Worthy, Kevin McHale, and Scottie Pippen were no-brainers on the first 50 Greatest lists. And, Kobe Bryant is better than all three of those guys.

polandprzem
02-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Same reason James Worthy, Kevin McHale, and Scottie Pippen were no-brainers on the first 50 Greatest lists. And, Kobe Bryant is better than all three of those guys.
]
He is also better then Monroe. And so what?

We are now talking about those 10 who must be in the spots. If Kobe is no-brainer than Moncrif also. Everybody forgotting that guy. But he was better then Miller Payton.
And talking about Kobe being better then Pip McHale and Worthy is not that obvious. esp. Pip almost MVP in Chicago. Got 6 titles and is better defender. :drunk

Bing is in top50 Nique is not. Damn Nique is not even in HOF :pctoss

nkdlunch
02-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Kobe is definitely better than Pippen ever was. the 50 best players was 50 best players until 1999 I beleive. After that, they need to do the whole thing all over again, and Kobe would make it, in a second as well as TD.

baseline bum
02-14-2006, 03:24 PM
KOBE BRYANT and TIM DUNCAN are no-brainers.

I'm too young to remember him, but BOB McADOO appears to be worthy of the honor.

KEVIN GARNETT, ALLEN IVERSON, and LeBRON JAMES will all likely be honored in the top 60.

I would also pick DOMINIQUE WILKINS and DENNIS RODMAN.

The last two would be hard out of that list. But, I think I would go with BOB LANIER and REGGIE MILLER, edging out Bernard King, Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, Walt Bellamy, and Adrian Dantley.

Watch the 95 WCF and tell me Rodman deserves to be on that list.

polandprzem
02-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Kobe is definitely better than Pippen ever was. the 50 best players was 50 best players until 1999 I beleive. After that, they need to do the whole thing all over again, and Kobe would make it, in a second as well as TD.
1997 the all star game at halftime at the 50 NBA anniversary.

Yeah Kobe is better but has got less rings. In what aspect of the game Kobe is better? The scoring and? And nothing else. If you want to talk about statistics go somwhere else. Ask AI or KG what the stats gave them? You can ask Wilt as well.

ShoogarBear
02-14-2006, 05:37 PM
KG and nine others.

What is "what team will never win a championship" for $500, Alex?

Phenomanul
02-14-2006, 06:50 PM

Interesting notion... if the 50 greatest players list were redone today.... who would get bumped off and who would be added...

Me thinks this question would stir more controversy... :devil