PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Bruce "Defensive Stopper" Bowen play much?

Pandaemonaeon
02-13-2006, 09:34 PM
I went out for a while during the 2nd quarter and when I came back, it was Ginobili/Finley on LeBron and he was torching them. Did he get injured or something?

Brutalis
02-13-2006, 09:35 PM
who knows. but that explains why LBJ went off.

Pistons < Spurs
02-13-2006, 09:35 PM
I love your sig Pandaemonaeon :tu

Dre_7
02-13-2006, 09:43 PM
I love your sig Pandaemonaeon :tu

ME TOO!!! :smokin

Pandaemonaeon
02-13-2006, 09:43 PM
who knows. but that explains why LBJ went off.

I know LeBron was murdering him on the post, but it's not like Finley's going to do a better job on him. I would rather have Bowen getting killed but being smart than Finley getting killed but being dumb -- that foul by Fin on the breakaway dunk was just fucking silly.

TDMVPDPOY
02-13-2006, 10:20 PM
i say we trade him n nve to miami for payton and posey

Kori Ellis
02-13-2006, 10:20 PM

I say you're an idiot.

Dre_7
02-13-2006, 10:22 PM

Are you serious??

Harry Whittington
02-13-2006, 10:22 PM
I know LeBron was murdering him on the post, but it's not like Finley's going to do a better job on him. I would rather have Bowen getting killed but being smart than Finley getting killed but being dumb -- that foul by Fin on the breakaway dunk was just fucking silly.

HOLY CRAP, another MURDERER? WHEW...I AM A GOIN' IN TO HIDING...SUMBITCH!

smeagol
02-13-2006, 10:36 PM
I never noticed you have 1,700+ posts. Are they all this stupid?

Kori Ellis
02-13-2006, 10:38 PM
I never noticed you have 1,700+ posts. Are they all this stupid?

Yes.

GoSpurs21
02-13-2006, 11:15 PM
i agree tdmpvpoy is an idiot but I cant believe how the die hards here are giving NVE a pass when its so clear that he sucks ass

NVE and Fin have been a fucking downer on this team. While I dont think anyone on the Spurs could have stopped James tonight NVE and Fin dont deserve the pass some are giving them on this site.

it almost seams biased that the so called die hard Spurs fans have so forgotten the contributions Devin and Beno did last year for this team in favor of washed up so called big names Fin and NVE may contribute this year.

hell even washed up Eric Snow looked quick compared to slow ass NVE tonight

Slo spurs fan
02-14-2006, 05:13 AM
I think 30:45 is enough for Bruce.

SouthernFried
02-14-2006, 08:45 AM
I dont think NVE is the best fit for the Spurs.

But, I gotta give him credit...his game against Cleveland was the best I've seen from him. Parker sure as hell couldnt do shit. Nick hit some three's, made some great penetration passes and Defense...err...well, 2 outta 3 aint bad.

Nick looked much better than Parker last night. Hell, Udrih looked better than Parker last night. They were backing off 10 feet from Parker, just daring him to shoot the J, and he STILL fucking tried to drive into the paint...where they were just waiting en masse for him...he turned it over, had his shit swatted away...and even ran into guys for at least 2 charges. Fucking shoot the outside shot!!

Bad game for Parker...but, it was a bad game for most of the team. It happens

Duncanoypi
02-14-2006, 09:07 AM
is Bruce a defensive stopper or an offensive stopper?...offense is the one he stopped not the defense...?

Peace pandae...

implacable44
02-14-2006, 09:54 AM
I went out for a while during the 2nd quarter and when I came back, it was Ginobili/Finley on LeBron and he was torching them. Did he get injured or something?

What are you talking about Bowen played 31 minutes and he was getting lit up by Lebron -- Lebron was going around him, over him, through him -- you name it - -like he was not even there. Bowen looked like a high school kid out there trying to check Lebron -- embarrasing.

Perhaps Lebron should be the new defensive stopper - did you see how he shut Tony Parker down ?

and why in the blue hell would you not take James Posey and Payton for Nick ?

SequSpur
02-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Bowen was getting used.

Pop pulled him so it didn't make him look like a shitty DPOY.

implacable44
02-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Bowen got owned by lebron and then lebron owned parker.

polandprzem
02-14-2006, 10:04 AM
LeBrowned :(

Peter
02-14-2006, 10:08 AM
I dont think NVE is the best fit for the Spurs.

But, I gotta give him credit...his game against Cleveland was the best I've seen from him. Parker sure as hell couldnt do shit. Nick hit some three's, made some great penetration passes and Defense...err...well, 2 outta 3 aint bad.

Nick looked much better than Parker last night. Hell, Udrih looked better than Parker last night. They were backing off 10 feet from Parker, just daring him to shoot the J, and he STILL fucking tried to drive into the paint...where they were just waiting en masse for him...he turned it over, had his shit swatted away...and even ran into guys for at least 2 charges. Fucking shoot the outside shot!!

Bad game for Parker...but, it was a bad game for most of the team. It happens

NVE is going to be a great fit for the Spurs in the postseason. He's just like Horry in that regard. He gives you a point who can handle the rock, penetrate, distribute and above all else, is not afraid to take the big shot. Recall Game 5 of the '03 WCF. The Spurs can go with a lineup of NVE/Manu/Bowen/Horry/Duncan in crunch time. Who does an opponent leave? I predict that come next summer, bringing NVE back is going to be a major concern for this forum.

leemajors
02-14-2006, 10:26 AM
i think we would be better off with parker in that lineup. nve is gonna come in and probably hit some big 3's, but he won't be in there at the end of a big game jacking up 3s with 20 seconds left in the shot clock. pop needs to end the 2 pg experiment. game 5 of the wcf was a couple injuries ago.

leemajors
02-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Bowen got owned by lebron and then lebron owned parker.

bowen got used by lebron once in 5 games. he's not gonna shut everyone down every night. lebron can go off on anyone, thanks for stating the obvious.

implacable44
02-14-2006, 10:32 AM
once in 5 games ? they only play each other twice a year. the first game - 2nd game of the season for the cavs - trying to incorporate Hughes into the offense -- Lebron shot 7 for 16 and scored 20 -- last night he had 44 shooting 19 for 33 and he shut down TP on the other end of the floor.

leemajors
02-14-2006, 10:34 AM
lebron has played well against the spurs once in his career, and it was last night. he was bound to have a good game vs us sooner or later. i wouldn't count on him regularly shutting down anyone either, he has a ways to go on the defensive end and i'm sure parker won't play that bad again for a while.

implacable44
02-14-2006, 10:48 AM
lebron has played well against the spurs once in his career, and it was last night. he was bound to have a good game vs us sooner or later. i wouldn't count on him regularly shutting down anyone either, he has a ways to go on the defensive end and i'm sure parker won't play that bad again for a while.

it is funny that the homers are so quick to dismiss the spurs bad play -- in this case tony parker as just bad play -- but when bowen "stops" someone -- it is entirely due to his efforts - not the other guy having a bad game or a back to back -- it is all bowen.

dude - he was going around bowen like he wasnt even there. around - over - through - Bowen was invisible to Lebron and parker only got something like 7 shots off

nkdlunch
02-14-2006, 10:51 AM
what happened to TP's game? did they pack the paint and not let him drive? I think their main gameplan was to stop parker and it worked. Did they leave him wide open from outside?

this is probably what's gonna happen in the playoffs. hopefully TP just had a bad game

SAGambler
02-14-2006, 10:51 AM
What are you talking about Bowen played 31 minutes and he was getting lit up by Lebron -- Lebron was going around him, over him, through him -- you name it - -like he was not even there. Bowen looked like a high school kid out there trying to check Lebron -- embarrasing.

Perhaps Lebron should be the new defensive stopper - did you see how he shut Tony Parker down ?

and why in the blue hell would you not take James Posey and Payton for Nick ?

I'm guessing Lebron lights up a lot of players... If Cleveland ever builds something good around him, Cleveland will dominate the East...

leemajors
02-14-2006, 11:00 AM
lebron had a great game, tp had a really bad one and so did bowen. it happens, i don't see why you think this is such a big deal. spurs on the whole played bad, cavs good, spurs lose. end of story. every time bowen has a bad defensive game you think it is some definitive proof that he isn't a great defender. i hate to inform you, but even the best defenders get lit up, and they usually come back strong. it's what makes them great.

implacable44
02-14-2006, 11:06 AM
I think Bowen is a good defender -that is how he earns his paycheck. It is his strength - great though ? I mean he benefits from TD who is a better defender - not to mention the team defensive philosophy that the Spurs play and the Mavs are trying to implement up in Dallas.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-14-2006, 01:57 PM
I can fathom how LeBron owned Parker, however, I cannot fathom how Ginobili did not go off....who the fuck guarded him???

Bruce Bowen surely did his job last night, but where the fuck was Manu? It goes without saying that Duncan would have a shitty game, so it was all on Manu.

implacable44
02-14-2006, 02:15 PM
I can fathom how LeBron owned Parker, however, I cannot fathom how Ginobili did not go off....who the fuck guarded him???

Bruce Bowen surely did his job last night, but where the fuck was Manu? It goes without saying that Duncan would have a shitty game, so it was all on Manu.

was bowen's job last night to let Lebron dominate the game and drop 44 points while shooting 58% from the field and getting the W?

Cant_Be_Faded
02-14-2006, 02:37 PM
^i couldn't watch the game but people said in this thread that it wasn't even bowen that guarded him for alot of that. Not his fault he didnt get the assignment. And its not like anyone would have kept lebron from going off at home in cleveland.

nkdlunch
02-14-2006, 02:48 PM
what happened to TP's game? did they pack the paint and not let him drive? I think their main gameplan was to stop parker and it worked. Did they leave him wide open from outside?

this is probably what's gonna happen in the playoffs. hopefully TP just had a bad game

the only way to stop lebron some nights is to focus the whole team on him. the spurs didn't even bother last night. same thing happened with arenas when the wiz beat us earlier.

no big deal

implacable44
02-14-2006, 03:00 PM
^i couldn't watch the game but people said in this thread that it wasn't even bowen that guarded him for alot of that. Not his fault he didnt get the assignment. And its not like anyone would have kept lebron from going off at home in cleveland.

uh 0--- those people lied. he did follow lebron around and watch him score and score and score again --

leemajors
02-14-2006, 03:09 PM
what's your point implacable? bowen is an incredible defender, and just because lebron lit him up it does not change that. ray allen has lit him up a few times, and he has shut down ray allen more than once. great players can't really be stopped when they are on a roll, no matter who is defending them. you didn't jump on duncan's case when troy murphy lit him up, did you? and that didn't change the fact that duncan is a great defender either.

FromWayDowntown
02-14-2006, 03:23 PM
what's your point implacable? bowen is an incredible defender, and just because lebron lit him up it does not change that. ray allen has lit him up a few times, and he has shut down ray allen more than once. great players can't really be stopped when they are on a roll, no matter who is defending them. you didn't jump on duncan's case when troy murphy lit him up, did you? and that didn't change the fact that duncan is a great defender either.

This is implacable's m.o. with regard to Bruce Bowen. He blasted Bowen in the preseason, arguing that the Spurs should have dealt Bowen and Rasho for Ray Allen and Jerome James and contending that Manu defends as well as Bowen. Later said that he had backed away from those statements. Now he comes back everytime a great wing shoots better than 50% to blast Bowen. It's almost as if implacable hopes for Bowen to have bad nights.

And, curiously, implacable rarely shows up when Bowen owns one of those guys.

leemajors
02-14-2006, 03:36 PM
:spin

cheguevara
02-14-2006, 04:51 PM
so... are the wolves making the playoffs? :lmao