PDA

View Full Version : Two significant stories from Iraq...

Yonivore
02-14-2006, 01:49 AM
...that have gone under- or un-reported by the Western Media.

Unreported History in Baghdad

The silence was deafening and the seats were empty. The western press was nowhere to be found. The location was Baghdad and the event was a February 10th, 2006 press conference announcing the final verification of December’s election results. Although the final allocation of parliamentary seats did not change from last month’s tentative reports, the conference was nonetheless significant for American and Iraqi history. What was equally significant was the absence of members of the western press.

If the pre-release of the topics to be discussed included reports of widespread voter fraud, complaints by detained terrorists of maltreatment, or a sudden clamoring for the return of the deadly former dictator, certainly, the major news networks and the print media would have found time to attend. Of course, their reports would have consisted of their own preconceived failure of western-style elections in a part of the world that they deem to be unprepared for democracy. Since they were unable to report a “disastrous” event of this war, apparently, their budgets did not allow for attendance in Baghdad.

The true significance of this announcement is the underlying theme that the anti-war crowd refuses to recognize: the war has been successful and there is verifiable progress within the country of Iraq. Not only did we defeat a murderous despot, we have gained an ally in the war against terrorism. Just three short years ago, these same people were being terrorized by a vicious regime whose primary responsibility was supposed to be to protect its own citizens. After being victims of this brutal state, free Iraqis are now fighting their former oppressors who consist of remnants of the Ba’ath Party and the foreign terrorists who have taken it upon themselves to determine what is best for the Iraqi people.

What is feeding the success of the Iraqis is that they are fighting for a legitimately elected government, which they now have a genuine part in. No longer are they forced to support the narcissistic and sadistic ways of a tyrant. Instead, Iraqis learned at this press conference that their efforts to defeat terrorism through the ballot box have been legitimized by local and international organizations. Now, the business of forming the government begins.

It is said that success has many fathers, while failure is an orphan. Oddly, in the pessimistic world of the western press and the anti-war left, reporters continually turn their backs on momentous accomplishments and fail to acknowledge these turning points in the defense of freedom — as though to father the orphan. The press never hesitates to report on the so-called surges of attacks in Iraq. Logically speaking, if there is a surge at any given point, then there must have been a previous decrease in attacks as well, yet, that is never reported.

True, there are peaks and valleys in the number of attacks. What is unreported when these supposed surges take place is the failure of most of the attacks. The bombings and shootings have not adversely affected operations, they have not disrupted our logistics, nor have they resulted in the enemy gaining one inch of territory. More importantly, they have not hindered the desire of the Iraqis to continue on with everyday life, despite the attempts of the terrorists to target innocent civilians. Yet, the intensity and constant reporting of every negative occurrence in Baghdad would lead one to believe that we have walked into the shadow of death from which there is no return.

An example of the failure to report on the importance of this success was demonstrated at the conclusion of the press conference. Several hours later, the only related news on CNN International were reports of two bombings in Iraq and the all-important notice from Cindi Sheehan that she will not run for the Senate and send Diane Feinstein into retirement.

At a time when American troops deserve a good headline in the major newspapers or a positive top-of-the-hour news flash on the network stations, the press and the left instead continue to focus on more mundane topics of discussion. This is the beginning of the most pivotal year in this war, and once again, the mainstream media finds itself on the wrong side of history.

Thanks from the Mayor

Over at Mudville Gazette (http://www.mudvillegazette.com/) Greyhawk has posted a letter (http://www.mudvillegazette.com/archives/004167.html) from the Mayor of Tall 'Afar, Iraq to the men and women of the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment and their families (received via a family member):

Mayor In the Name of God the Compassionate and Merciful

To the Courageous Men and Women of the 3d Armored Cavalry Regiment, who have changed the city of Tall’ Afar from a ghost town, in which terrorists spread death and destruction, to a secure city flourishing with life.

To the lion-hearts who liberated our city from the grasp of terrorists who were beheading men, women and children in the streets for many months.

To those who spread smiles on the faces of our children, and gave us restored hope, through their personal sacrifice and brave fighting, and gave new life to the city after hopelessness darkened our days, and stole our confidence in our ability to reestablish our city.

Our city was the main base of operations for Abu Mousab Al Zarqawi. The city was completely held hostage in the hands of his henchmen. Our schools, governmental services, businesses and offices were closed. Our streets were silent, and no one dared to walk them. Our people were barricaded in their homes out of fear; death awaited them around every corner. Terrorists occupied and controlled the only hospital in the city. Their savagery reached such a level that they stuffed the corpses of children with explosives and tossed them into the streets in order to kill grieving parents attempting to retrieve the bodies of their young. This was the situation of our city until God prepared and delivered unto them the courageous soldiers of the 3d Armored Cavalry Regiment, who liberated this city, ridding it of Zarqawi’s followers after harsh fighting, killing many terrorists, and forcing the remaining butchers to flee the city like rats to the surrounding areas, where the bravery of other 3d ACR soldiers in Sinjar, Rabiah, Zumar and Avgani finally destroyed them.

I have met many soldiers of the 3d Armored Cavalry Regiment; they are not only courageous men and women, but avenging angels sent by The God Himself to fight the evil of terrorism.

The leaders of this Regiment; COL McMaster, COL Armstrong, LTC Hickey, LTC Gibson, and LTC Reilly embody courage, strength, vision and wisdom. Officers and soldiers alike bristle with the confidence and character of knights in a bygone era. The mission they have accomplished, by means of a unique military operation, stands among the finest military feats to date in Operation Iraqi Freedom, and truly deserves to be studied in military science. This military operation was clean, with little collateral damage, despite the ferocity of the enemy. With the skill and precision of surgeons they dealt with the terrorist cancers in the city without causing unnecessary damage.

God bless this brave Regiment; God bless the families who dedicated these brave men and women. From the bottom of our hearts we thank the families. They have given us something we will never forget. To the families of those who have given their holy blood for our land, we all bow to you in reverence and to the souls of your loved ones. Their sacrifice was not in vain. They are not dead, but alive, and their souls hovering around us every second of every minute. They will never be forgotten for giving their precious lives. They have sacrificed that which is most valuable. We see them in the smile of every child, and in every flower growing in this land. Let America, their families, and the world be proud of their sacrifice for humanity and life.

Finally, no matter how much I write or speak about this brave Regiment, I haven’t the words to describe the courage of its officers and soldiers. I pray to God to grant happiness and health to these legendary heroes and their brave families.

NAJIM ABDULLAH ABID AL-JIBOURI
Mayor of Tall 'Afar, Ninewa, Iraq
Greyhawk adds that members of the Regiment are now returning home to Ft. Carson, Colorado.

Col. McMaster is the Commander of the Regiment and a Ph.D. in American history. This past September, Col. McMaster briefed the Pentagon press corps on Operation Restoring Rights by video from Iraq that was accessible here (http://www.pentagonchannel.mil/) (I can't find it at the moment). Forty minutes long, Col. McMaster's briefing was utterly compelling, including an account of the discovery of an enemy house rigged with chemical weapons. You may also wish to check out Col. McMaster's Dereliction of Duty: Johnson, McNamara, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies That Led to Vietnam. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060929081/ref=sib_rdr_dp/102-7719016-3678528?%5Fencoding=UTF8&no=283155&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&st=books)

If not for the relationships being developed between bloggers and the military in theater, we might never hear about any this.

boutons_
02-14-2006, 02:26 AM
"the final allocation of parliamentary seats did not change from last month’s tentative reports"

The official announcement of the election results was some kind of surprise or news? Maybe the press are too scared to move around or assemble in large numbers (to hear what they already knew was the case) due to general lack of security? or maybe they couldn't afford to pay the insurgents protection money?

The military does their job well, congrats, but in the service of bullshit bogus war will little chance of succeeding. Whether the military is doing a good or bad job isn't the question. They were hamstrung from the beginning by too few troops.

For every little positive tidbit, and no one is saying they're untrue, that the Yoni's dig up, they are just tiny flakes of gold found in tons of shit. The flakes of gold and tons of shit both exist. Which is more telling of what the Iraqi situation?

The Iraqi news, the big picture, is overwhelming negative. infrastructure not repaired, electricity supplies sporadic, on only a few hours per day, oil still not a pre-war levels, corruption and incompetence of Iraqi government, do the shaky Iraqi army and police trust the govt enough to die for it? do they expect to get paid? insurgents running protection rackets used to finance the insurgency, etc.

=====================

What do the Iraqi people say about the US occupation? It depends on which Iraqi people you talk to. Sunnis (losers, insurgents)? Shiites (winners)? Kurds (winners)?

February 14, 2006
Op-Ed Columnist

What We Need in Iraq: An Exit Date

By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

Here's the single most depressing tidbit I've seen from Iraq lately: a new poll has found that among Sunni Arab Iraqis, 88 percent support violent attacks on U.S. troops.

So at least in the Sunni Triangle, the biggest problem isn't Syria or terrorists like Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, but ordinary Sunnis who want to see our soldiers blown up.

So how should we handle this?

First, we should announce unequivocally that we will not keep American military bases in Iraqi territory.

Second, we should announce a target date for the withdrawal of all U.S. combat forces from Iraq — say, the last day of 2007. Those moves would help to allay Iraqi nationalist suspicions — at least a little bit — that the U.S. is simply after Iraqi oil and bases, and would take a bit of the wind out of the insurgency's sails.

The new poll, which was conducted for WorldPublicOpinion.org, had some good news for President Bush. More than three-quarters of the Iraqis said that ousting Saddam Hussein was worth the hardships they'd suffered. And 64 percent said Iraq was now headed in the right direction.

But 80 percent of Iraqis said the U.S. sought permanent military bases in Iraq (frankly, they're right), while 70 percent called for a full U.S. withdrawal within two years.

It's time to listen more carefully to Iraqis, who know their country better than we ever will. In the poll, 64 percent said violent attacks would decrease after the U.S. pulled out. For Sunni Arab Iraqis, who are disproportionately responsible for the violence, that figure is 86 percent. Other polls show roughly the same: Iraqis are suspicious of our intentions, and they want us out.

The single biggest mistake we have made since World War II has been the failure to appreciate nationalism, whether in China, Southeast Asia or Latin America — or, now, Iraq. Given the origins of the U.S. — an insurgency fueled by the maladroit policies of King George III, who never understood American nationalism — you'd think we would be more sensitive to such sentiments, but throughout history great powers have always had a blind spot for indigenous nationalism.

Craziest of all is our refusal to renounce long-term bases in Iraq. Keeping alive the bases option increases the antagonism toward us, adds to the risk that Iraq will completely fall apart and leads to more maimed Americans. It's not worth it.

As for withdrawal, I believe that an immediate pullout would be irresponsible and would leave Iraq worse off. But a two-year timetable for withdrawal would give Iraqi security forces time to consolidate power, and would weaken the strongest card the insurgents have: the argument that they're protecting the motherland from imperialist Yankee crusaders.

A timetable would also put pressure on Iraqi politicians to cooperate and govern, and it would make the U.S. more of a partner and less of a national scapegoat.

It's true that Iraqis wouldn't fully believe our announcements, and the insurgents certainly won't lay down their weapons. But the insurgents can operate only with the tacit support of ordinary Sunni Arabs — and the poll showed that many of those Iraqis would be less hostile to the U.S. if there was a timetable for withdrawal.

As Gen. George Casey Jr., the top commander in Iraq, told Congress in the fall, the U.S. presence "feeds the notion of occupation," while reducing the troop presence would begin "taking away an element that fuels the insurgency." And Gen. John Abizaid, who speaks Arabic and has extensive Middle Eastern experience, added, "We must make clear to the people of the region that we have no designs on their territories or resources."

General Abizaid is right, so it's time to renounce publicly the pipe dream about bases. There's a parallel with Saudi Arabia, where we clung to U.S. bases because we thought they gave us a strategic advantage and flexibility. But those bases outraged Saudi nationalists and gave fundamentalists like Osama bin Laden a cause that rallied supporters. Instead of an advantage, we gained an albatross — and now we're doing the same in Iraq.

The biggest intelligence failure of the neocons in Iraq wasn't the assumption that Saddam had W.M.D. It was the conviction, as Dick Cheney put it, that "we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators." Anyone who had actually visited Iraq and talked to Iraqis knew that was nonsense, but the administration never seemed to hear ordinary Iraqi voices or make allowances for Iraqi nationalism.

I'm afraid the administration still doesn't.

* Copyright 2006The New York Times Company

=======================

So keep panning for your tiny flakes of gold if it makes you feel like the huge cost of the bogus Repug war is justified, but the big picture is what counts now and finally, and it's not positive by any means.

Who is betting that Iraq will remain a democracy, become stable, if the US really cuts and runs completely in 2 years, leaving no bases and no 50K troops their for 10 years?

RandomGuy
02-15-2006, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't.

I really hope we are out of there by the time my son is eligible for the draft.

I get a feeling that we will be asked to leave in no uncertain terms long before then.

At some point the benefits of us staying will be outweighed by the instability that we generate by our mere presence.

Nbadan
02-17-2006, 02:21 AM
Great clip featuring some of the new torture pics...

No bravery (http://nobravery.cf.huffingtonpost.com/)

Vashner
02-17-2006, 06:19 AM
Draft... are you smoking weed at the moment?

If you lefties just stood aside while the VOLUNTEER's do there job then there will be no draft.

The democrats are the ones that introduced the Draft bill not us maybe your thinking if a Dem get's elected your son will be drafted.

Because if they had they would just let evil keep growing will we did have to draft him eventually.

RandomGuy
02-17-2006, 08:08 PM

If you lefties just stood aside while the VOLUNTEER's do there job then there will be no draft.

The democrats are the ones that introduced the Draft bill not us maybe your thinking if a Dem get's elected your son will be drafted.

Because if they had they would just let evil keep growing will we did have to draft him eventually.

I didn't say there would be a draft. I merely stated that I hope we are out of Iraq by the time my son turns 18. I will be encouraging him to join a branch of the military (I would hope Army like his Grampa and Daddy), at that time and I would hate for a mistake of my generation (electing GW) to be visited on him.

Having said that, I will also be apologizing to him for having to pay much higher tax rates because of GW's fiscal irresponsibility. But that is another thread...

boutons_
02-17-2006, 09:57 PM
"while the VOLUNTEER's do there job"

There aren't enough volunteers to do the fucked up job in Iraq. Have you followed the recruiting tricks, lies, misrepresntations, sign-up bonuses, more bonuses for special forces, etc over the past 2 years? The military is digging around in the bottom of the barrel, lowering their standards, to get anybody into uniform.

All the red-staters are as chickenshit, faux machos, about fighting wars as were war evaders dubya and dickhead.

JoeChalupa
02-18-2006, 01:12 PM

US? Damn you are a real homer.

Perhaps if all the gung-ho republicans would rush to sign-up we wouldn't even be talking draft. Funny how I talk to some many Bush lovers but when I ask do you have a son or daughter serving they always say, "oh no, mine is going to college".

I hate that crap!! :cuss

Nbadan
02-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Before the war, Charlie Allen, then Deputy Director of Central Intelligence for Collection, was able to guide the recruitment of no fewer than 30 Iraqis able to travel back to see their relatives and conclusively document that there was no active nuclear program and no weapons of mass destruction--this information was evidently not provided to Congress, the President, or (naturally), the public.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Yeah boutons :tu We need a firm withdrawal date so the bad guys can lay low until we leave, then take over. Fucking brilliant.

I'm glad you're still in high school, maybe when you get to college you can learn enough about the world to make an informed decision instead of copying and pasting from democratunderground.com.

JohnnyMarzetti
02-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Yeah boutons :tu We need a firm withdrawal date so the bad guys can lay low until we leave, then take over. Fucking brilliant.

I'm glad you're still in high school, maybe when you get to college you can learn enough about the world to make an informed decision instead of copying and pasting from democratunderground.com.

Well college sure didn't help Dumbya make informed decisions.

And like you don't follow Bush blindly you hypocrite!

boutons_
02-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Fuck you in every orifice, you little faggot AHF.

A withdrawal date is what the Iraqis want, and I bet anything that dubya/dickhead already have one in mind. They don't give a shit about Iraq beyond how it impacts Repug electability. With an overwhelming majority of the US against the bullshit Repug war, the war will cost the Repugs dearly in 2006 and 2008 elections, to say nothing of every other project or action the Repugs have attempted since the Repugs came into office.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2006, 07:38 PM
And like you don't follow Bush blindly you hypocrite!

Actually I don't. I think the port contract is fucking stupid, and I hope Congress steps in to rectify the situation.

Still, maybe once he gets some education maybe boutons can come up with better rationale than 'fuck you in every orifice' and 'Shrub/dickhead'.

boutons_
02-20-2006, 05:31 PM
here's the ambassador to Iraq stating one condition (there will be others) where dubya/dickhead WILLL cut and run, just another lie from serial liars:

=========================

February 20, 2006

Attacks Kill 26 in Iraq as U.S. Warns Against Divisions
By SABRINA TAVERNISE
and ROBERT F. WORTH

BAGHDAD, Iraq, Feb. 20 — The American ambassador to Iraq issued an unusually strong warning today about the need for Iraq's political factions to come together, hinting for the first time that the United States would not be willing to support institutions plagued by sectarian agendas.

The ambassador, Zalmay Khalilzad, spoke as a fresh wave of violence swept the country. A string of bombing attacks, including one inside a crowded commuter bus in Baghdad and another in a restaurant in northern Iraq, left at least 26 people dead and more than 60 wounded, the bloodiest day in Iraq in almost two months.

Mr. Khalilzad, speaking at a news conference in Baghdad, underscored the hope of American officials that Iraqi political leaders, who are deep in negotiations over the formation of a new government, would choose new cabinet ministers who would place the interests of their country over those of their political party and sect.

More than two months have passed since Iraqis voted in parliamentary elections, but signs of serious disagreement over the shape of the government persist. The new parliament is required by law to meet for the first time on Saturday.

"The United States is investing billions of dollars" into Iraq's new police and army forces, Mr. Khalilzad said. "We are not going to invest the resources of the American people to build forces run by people who are sectarian."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/20/international/middleeast/20cnd-iraq.html?hp&ex=1140498000&en=9a336c4d0eefb8fa&ei=5094&partner=homepage

xrayzebra
02-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Fuck you in every orifice, you little faggot AHF.

A withdrawal date is what the Iraqis want, and I bet anything that dubya/dickhead already have one in mind. They don't give a shit about Iraq beyond how it impacts Repug electability. With an overwhelming majority of the US against the bullshit Repug war, the war will cost the Repugs dearly in 2006 and 2008 elections, to say nothing of every other project or action the Repugs have attempted since the Repugs came into office.

You mean like it cost them in the last election. Right on Bro.